Kylian Mbappe

glasgow 21

Not that I see it happening in a million years but how do we fund his exorbitant wages
Behave, Mbappe is Tier 1-plus-AAA , we are in Tier 2 mode soon to be Tier 3 . I'm not worried about Tier 3 as if they don't fit or handle Old Trafford they can still be shifted on less wages. Thinking Mbappe is " stop taking the drugs" mode.

cyberman

This is a leap but was this news coming out within the last 24 hours a huge coincidence as well?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Never gonna happen regardless of who the new owners are. Will break our wage structure and take Elanga's game time.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t really see why people are conflating the two, apart from the nationality of the clubs owners. PSG are their own club, they’re going to want Mbappe playing for them still.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don’t really see why people are conflating the two, apart from the nationality of the clubs owners. PSG are their own club, they’re going to want Mbappe playing for them still.
The owner would be identical.

croadyman

Feels a bit of a naive take, we'll very much be in the same bed with PSG if our Qatar takeover happens.
Oh I know that but whether that gives us more or less chance of getting him I don’t know

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Feels a bit of a naive take, we'll very much be in the same bed with PSG if our Qatar takeover happens.
Yeah we’re run by twats the same as they are, I just don’t see why that makes PSG more likely to sell their best player

Blood Mage

I choose to put my faith in the system Ten Hag is building rather than on a brilliant individual with a big ego. Granted Ten Hag needs to stop bringing the likes of Weghorst here of course.

L1nk

I choose to put my faith in the system Ten Hag is building rather than on a brilliant individual with a big ego. Granted Ten Hag needs to stop bringing the likes of Weghorst here of course.
Absolutely the right attitude to have. Recently successful teams like City and Pool have gotten that way by building a squad and a system and plugging players into that, it's clearly what ETH is trying to do considering we've spent so long not playing that way and yet people still want to stick to the old model, granted in the transfer market it may not be so glamorous as we won't be targetting the worlds best of the best players everytime, but instead players to fit into a system like Mason Mount. The other attitude is a very Woodward/Disneyland approach and it's failed us time and time again but one whiff of a shiny new toy and it's all anyone can think about

RedStarUnited

Once again, today Macron told to RMC Sport that he will push Mbappe to stay. Corruption and bribery from the very top.
This is why states funding clubs needs to be a practice that fecking dies. That sort of influence is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. Imagine Boris Johnson pushing to keep Kane at Spurs. What a joke football is right now.

Also note "hey French peasants, you all have to work until you're 64 now. But on the plus side I've been bribed to keep a French footballer here in Paris so why don't you vote for me!"
Or maybe just maybe, The French president sees value in having one of the countries most famous and marketable players staying in the country? I dont see the big problem.

Mbappes contributes millions in taxes, im sure millions of people go to Paris to watch him play which again boosts the countries economy.

GazTheLegend

Or maybe just maybe, The French president sees value in having one of the countries most famous and marketable players staying in the country? I dont see the big problem.
It's corrupting a system that is not supposed to be a political tool. And it sets an incredibly fecking idiotic precedent too, what's stopping potential dictator's from coming out and pressurising their players in future now that Macron has gotten involved, using him as an example? What if Erdogan began telling the Turkish footballers whetever that no, they need to stay for the good of the league and can't be transferred anymore. What happens when they say no...? What happens if Mbappe says no? The insane level of pressure that must come from a president telling you to stay at a certain club...

If you can't see what's wrong then wow.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's corrupting a system that is not supposed to be a political tool. And it sets an incredibly fecking idiotic precedent too, what's stopping potential dictator's from coming out and pressurising their players in future now that Macron has gotten involved, using him as an example? What if Erdogan began telling the Turkish footballers whetever that no, they need to stay for the good of the league and can't be transferred anymore. What happens when they say no...? What happens if Mbappe says no? The insane level of pressure that must come from a president telling you to stay at a certain club...

Sports are 100% political. Whether you are talking about the federations who encourage and redistribute revenues from their local professional clubs or if you look at the organization of international competitions such as world cup or Olympics. Than you have national lobbying and financing of athletes especially when it comes to Olympics sports. All of that is done for political reasons, sport at a grassroot level work the way it does and is financed the way it is through political actions.

The system is largely built through politics and for political reasons.

croadyman

Absolutely the right attitude to have. Recently successful teams like City and Pool have gotten that way by building a squad and a system and plugging players into that, it's clearly what ETH is trying to do considering we've spent so long not playing that way and yet people still want to stick to the old model, granted in the transfer market it may not be so glamorous as we won't be targetting the worlds best of the best players everytime, but instead players to fit into a system like Mason Mount. The other attitude is a very Woodward/Disneyland approach and it's failed us time and time again but one whiff of a shiny new toy and it's all anyone can think about
Yeah but you are talking about arguably the best all round player in the world

RedStarUnited

You are over thinking it. He is being asked if a Frenchman should go and work in another country,what kind of President would he be if he didnt say he was going to ask him to stay?

If he forced him to stay then thats a different topic.

L1nk

Yeah but you are talking about arguably the best all round player in the world
Right but a lot of our squad is not good enough - Mbappe, Messi, doesn't matter they'll still be playing with McTominay, Fred, Maguire, DDG or possibly no GK, a crocked Martial, a below par Sancho, a tired old Eriksen etc etc

If we sell these players and more like Elanga and DVB we have to replace them, if we spunk a lot of our budget on Mbappe though how do we plan to do that? Unless we keep most of them, and then it's the same squad and same problems of years past.

Eddy_JukeZ

First off, replacing the 'deadwood' in the squad should be relatively easy. And our squad isn't as poor as some on here think. More internal improvement can happen(as it did this very season) and there were plenty of circumstances this season that were quite unfortunate that deterred the squad more-so.

But if there's a chance to sign the best player in the world and he's arguably yet to even peak, you do it.

This isn't some shiny new toy.

croadyman

First off, replacing the 'deadwood' in the squad should be relatively easy. And our squad isn't as poor as some on here think. More internal improvement can happen(as it did this very season) and there were plenty of circumstances this season that were quite unfortunate that deterred the squad more-so.

But if there's a chance to sign the best player in the world and he's arguably yet to even peak, you do it.

This isn't some shiny new toy.
Yeah without doubt

RC89

90% chance he goes to Madrid but I wouldn't rule out Utd if Qatar win the race to own Utd
Time is against us also. By time the sale is agreed, all the paperwork gets signed off, we could be talking months, then there may be challenges as there were with Newcastle. At this point I'm hoping we get them in before the January window.