Kylian Mbappe

Bwuk

Meant to be after Davies and Frimpong as well, Madrid building an absolutely terrifying side.

Courtious
Frimpong - Rudiger - Militao - Davies
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
Rodrygo - Mbappe - ViniJr​

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Looking at the heat maps, it is clear that Mbappe really plays the same position as Vinicius, even if CF on paper.

So, we aren't signing a player for a new position, merely an upgrade on LF position.

This is a commercial signing first and foremost.
Vini is a huge commercial asset too. I would imagine Mbappe is going to be shoehorned up front and Vini will stay LF.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
A. It's balague :lol:
B. He hasn't signed yet
C. [150+(15*5)] ÷ 5 = 45M/year gross. All in all probably acceptable given players would understand it's a free transfer, and we do get a % of his image rights

Ok, i might be on board with this

MiceOnMeth

Meant to be after Davies and Frimpong as well, Madrid building an absolutely terrifying side.

Courtious
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
I thought this was the Frimpong from Arsenal :lol:

PvsNP

Better to wait for a more reliable source. I mean we all know where he is going, but there's no way Balague gets that news first.

But fecking hell, what a team they're building. Won't be surprised if they win the UCL consecutive times again.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Mainly a Perez signing as he sees Mbappe as the final piece of the rebuild

We had a big summer in 2019, Ronaldo left a year prior, team wasn’t doing so well with an aging squad. Signed the likes of Mendy, Hazard, Jovic. Latter two didn’t work out.

Slowly but surely we got rid of the oldies such as Ramos, Varane, Marcelo and signed younglings: Militao, Vini, Rodrygo, Fede, Camavinga, Tchouameni. Rebuild took some time but did manage to win titles, including CL, whilst doing so.

If we do sign Mbappe and he works out as a #9 with Vini, then we only have need some strengthening at the back. Hopefully Davies and maybe a new RB. Good enough a team for the next 5-8 years.

marktan

Mainly a Perez signing as he sees Mbappe as the final piece of the rebuild

We had a big summer in 2019, Ronaldo left a year prior, team wasn’t doing so well with an aging squad. Signed the likes of Mendy, Hazard, Jovic. Latter two didn’t work out.

Slowly but surely we got rid of the oldies such as Ramos, Varane, Marcelo and signed younglings: Militao, Vini, Rodrygo, Fede, Camavinga, Tchouameni. Rebuild took some time but did manage to win titles, including CL, whilst doing so.

If we do sign Mbappe and he works out as a #9 with Vini, then we only have need some strengthening at the back. Hopefully Davies and maybe a new RB. Good enough a team for the next 5-8 years.
You still need a RW, and that's the hardest position to find top quality for as there's very few top left footed attackets around currently. You can play with a 2 up top against most teams, but against the top teams they'll just stack defensively on the left and ignore the right.

It's why I feel Bale is somewhat underrated, very hard to find players like him. If you could somehow sign Saka then you'd genuinely have a team that could dominate for the next 8 years.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Madrid almost doing the Galactico thing again.

Their midfield and attack is outragous and has a good age profile, too.

Barca will find it hard to reunite with them at the top.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You still need a RW, and that's the hardest position to find top quality for as there's very few top left footed attackets around currently. You can play with a 2 up top against most teams, but against the top teams they'll just stack defensively on the left and ignore the right.

It's why I feel Bale is somewhat underrated, very hard to find players like him. If you could somehow sign Saka then you'd genuinely have a team that could dominate for the next 8 years.
Rodrygo is a very good player in his own right and equally capable of playing on the right. If Perez can handle the heat, Greenwood would be a very good acquisition for that RW spot too.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

That will be Rodrygo/Valverde for the RW position. Don’t think we had a true RW since Bale. Not even Asensio. Not a big issue as Rodrygo/Valverde do just fine there.

Bigger issue is RB. Attack and midfield is set. Carvajal is having his greatest season but is older and might struggle next year. So hope the club finds a good replacement.

Reports on Davies agreeing to joing as well so hopefully that is true.

Bwuk

Agreed. Antony can be your main for 60m.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Courtious
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
Crazy that this is even possible.

Endrick could play there.

antk

As expected, the "similar wages to Vinicius" story was bullshit all along.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Courtious
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
I feel like the midfield is missing something.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
If by ruined, you mean making it easier for bullshit takes to be called out and challenged, then sure
If people are lazy and have poor critical thinking, stats only haze things even more. As bizarre as it sounds, more information sometimes make a person dumber; in fact, it's exactly what's happening in football world.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Like hell he is. He isn't a 9 and doesn't like playing it but he's still the best player in the world. You put him anywhere on the pitch he'd still be a difference maker
If you are investing that much money, you surely want to make sure that you're milking the most out of it. It would be a very questionable decision to bring an absurdly expensive player to use him in a way that would almost certainly cause conflict within your team.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Courtious
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
That looks good but I believe Valverde and Kroos will play if they keep their current level and the coach will use a 4-3-1-2 instead of a 4-3-3. I can see Rodrygo being dropped and Carvajal is having a very good season.

JediSith

Bid for Vinicius
A great player. I actually think he’s attainable for United. If Mbappe goes to RM, we sell Rashford to PSG. I’d love to see us go for Vinicius. Whenever I’ve watched RM over the past 3 years he’s always been the player who I think is just pure talent. Would love him in our team. I’m not one for Galatico / Marquee names but he’d be a statement and one that would greatly benefit United.

parmenio

Looking at the heat maps, it is clear that Mbappe really plays the same position as Vinicius, even if CF on paper.

So, we aren't signing a player for a new position, merely an upgrade on LF position.

This is a commercial signing first and foremost.
Your signing what most people including Perez think is the best player in the world. It’s what Madrid do irrespective of position they play. That front 3 is crazy with Bellingham in behind. Madrid have chased him for years and finally get their man. Makes them firm favs next season for everything. Barca in a mess and Madrid pull of this. How do they respond when they are penniless? The pressure would have been really on Perez if they missed out and say he signed for City? Maybe Madrid play amazing next season win the lot and Haaland thinks I’d like some of that ?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It really isn’t just about numbers but the data when used correctly can help debunk poor “eye tests”.

As others have said this hyperbolic view is a bit pointless. Which player do you think is being underestimated based on their numbers vs all round performance?
Seeing as I didn’t get a response from the other guy who exactly do you think is being underrated based on stats?
@Alpha 1 @RoyH1

Alpha 1

The latter was sort of true in the 70s, the former is simply not true. Ronaldinho having a season like 05/06 now would easily be in BPITW conversation, just as De Bruyne is
De Bruyne was City's best player last season but all the plaudits went to Haaland. In 2024, Etoo would comfortably overshadow Ronaldinho. And Gerd Muller wasn't considered the goat in the 70s although he was recognised.
It really isn’t just about numbers but the data when used correctly can help debunk poor “eye tests”.

As others have said this hyperbolic view is a bit pointless. Which player do you think is being underestimated based on their numbers vs all round performance?
De Bruyne was City's best player last season but guess who was on the ballond'or podium?

Last year when Haaland was scoring at a high rate, there was talk of him surpassing Messi and Ronaldo in the media. Even though Cristiano himself has been a beneficiary of the mordern stats obsession, he still offered much more than Haaland at the same age. As for Messi, I'm not even going to talk about him because any comparison is ridiculous.

I'm not saying Haaland doesn't deserve praise but his stats bring about Unreal hype.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
De Bruyne was City's best player last season but all the plaudits went to Haaland. In 2024, Etoo would comfortably overshadow Ronaldinho. And Gerd Muller wasn't considered the goat in the 70s although he was recognised.
Eto'o's best was 38 goals in one season. Haaland broke records. Different things. Plus Haaland being new had an impact. And De Bruyne being City's best player was debatable, but he did get plaudits. Finished 4th in Ballon D'Or voting in a world cup year in which he did nothing in the WC

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

De Bruyne was City's best player last season but guess who was on the ballond'or podium?

Last year when Haaland was scoring at a high rate, there was talk of him surpassing Messi and Ronaldo in the media. Even though Cristiano himself has been a beneficiary of the mordern stats obsession, he still offered much more than Haaland at the same age. As for Messi, I'm not even going to talk about him because any comparison is ridiculous.

I'm not saying Haaland doesn't deserve praise but his stats bring about Unreal hype.
De Brunye is your argument for being underrated?

Kevin De Brunye? Kevin 4th place in the Ballon d’or De Brunye?

Kevin PL team of the year, CL team of the year, PL playmaker of the year for 2023 De Brunye?

I don’t think your argument here holds up. De Brunye, Ronaldinho and players like that would and continue to be recognised for the outstanding world class talents that they are.

Find me anyone that doesn’t consider De Brunye the best midfielder in recent PL history (last 5 years).

You could make an argument (albeit weak) that Haaland is overrated though?

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Courtious
Tchouameni - Camavinga
Bellingham
It looks great on paper but that midfield is missing someone who controls a game. They will suffer when Kroos retires. His replacement is the one they need.

Alpha 1

De Brunye is your argument for being underrated?

Kevin De Brunye? Kevin 4th place in the Ballon d’or De Brunye?

Kevin PL team of the year, CL team of the year, PL playmaker of the year for 2023 De Brunye?

I don’t think your argue here holds up. De Brunye, Ronaldinho and players like that would and continue to be recognised for the outstanding world class talents that they are.

Find me anyone that doesn’t consider De Brunye the best midfielder in recent PL history (last 5 years).

You could make an argument (albeit weak) that Haaland is overrated though?
Ronaldinho was not fourth on the ballond'or list. He topped it. De Brunye was fourth despite being City's best player but the press went to Haaland.

Let me give you an example of how stats are used to judge players.

When Ronaldo played for us during his first stint, his most hyped season was 07/08 mainly because he scored 42 goals but having watched all his six seasons, he was actually easily better in 06/07. He is also often praised for his 08/09 season again because of his goals yet it was a poor season; he only came good during the run in. Arguably, Rooney played as big, if not a bigger role in that period.

So, his 06/07 is underrated significantly because his stats weren't as good as subsequent seasons.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ronaldinho was not fourth on the ballond'or list. He topped it. De Brunye was fourth despite being City's best player but the press went to Haaland.

Let me give you an example of how stats are used to judge players.

When Ronaldo played for us during his first stint, his most hyped season was 07/08 mainly because he scored 42 goals but having watched all his six seasons, he was actually easily better in 06/07. He is also often praised for his 08/09 season again because of his goals yet it was a poor season; he only came good during the run in. Arguably, Rooney played as big, if not a bigger role in that period.

So, his 06/07 is underrated significantly because his stats weren't as good as subsequent seasons.
Regarding the bolded bit I didn’t say he was?

Efficient performance and scoring is also very difficult though.

So while we might enjoy watching De Brunye more and find Haaland boring it doesn’t mean Haaland’s goal contributions aren’t absolutely ridiculous. And if that alone wasn’t a significant talent or skill then there would be more players able to do Haaland’s job.

I’ll be honest I don’t care enough about this to argue any further it’s pretty much always been the case that forward players who score and assist get the awards but ask the average fan who they’d rather watch or who impresses them more with their gameplay and it’ll be De Brunye 99/100 times.

So if your argument is awards are more biased towards forwards I’d agree. But that doesn’t make anyone not winning and award for best player in the world underrated and I’m surprised it bothers you this much.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Madrid almost doing the Galactico thing again.

Their midfield and attack is outragous and has a good age profile, too.

Barca will find it hard to reunite with them at the top.
Zero youth or even Spanish players in the first XI. I know it is not their cup of tea but the old RM had that

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Zero youth or even Spanish players in the first XI. I know it is not their cup of tea but the old RM had that
Could get Miguel back from Girona, but it seems we will go for Davies instead.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Could get Miguel back from Girona, but it seems we will go for Davies instead.
Honestly, I wish we'd just go for a back 3 with Alaba-Rudi-Militao, with Cama coming inside off the left, Kroos-Fede in the middle, Carvajal on the right, Vini up on the left, and then Jude and Rodrygo up top. Extend Mendy and convert him into a CB, sign a top CB, bring back Miguel as Cama's backup, and find a long term Kroos replacement so we're not *feckED* when he retires

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Mbappe (25), Vinicius (23), Bellingham (20), Camavinga (21), Valverde (25), Tchouaméni (24), Rodrygo (23).

I’d say that’s six pretty young starters.

You’re right about the missing Spanish players, though.