Kylian Mbappe

RoyH1

I sincerely don't want him. Silly as that may be.
Come on. Just imagine the wonderful levels of summer muppetry. The amount of posters desperately looking at Flightradar24 for all and any private jets flying out of the greater Paris area. The stupendous amount of "United is back..." threads. It'd be glorious.

sugar_kane

Same, we need to operate a no arseholes policy as we build ourselves up again and he seems like he would be dressing room poison.

Real Madrid is perfect for him, they will treat him like a god.

Rojofiam

Me neither.

1. I think he's the best player in the world, but we need to be sensible when building our squad. A lot of positions in the squad need reinforcement, but the left wing, where Mbappé is most comfortable, is not one of them. Obviously he's an upgrade on anyone, but Rashford and Garnacho are great options and optimal depth at the moment.

2. It would be a "free" transfer, however, Mbappé will most likely receive a 9 figure signing bonus from Madrid, as well as at least 500 thousand euros per week as base salary, before any bonuses. It's going to be a very expensive deal for them. So basically going back to my first point, I'd rather not blow most of our budget on Mbappé, that would also ruin our already inflated wage bill, and focus on getting in 3-4 quality talents instead.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think some of the legacy arguments get a little lost. In short : How valuable, symbolically, would it be to lead PSG to a CL win and push the club to a new dimension ? To be labeled a transformative player ?
I don't think it's that valuable since PSG are a super wealthy club. If they were a random French team then it'd be an incredible achievement.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Same, we need to operate a no arseholes policy as we build ourselves up again and he seems like he would be dressing room poison.

Real Madrid is perfect for him, they will treat him like a god.
Funnily enough I think he has even ticked off Perez. I don't think they'll stretch themselves to sign him either.

Rojofiam

Have you not noticed Real Madrid have spent a season plus teaching him to operate in a two strikeg formation with a partner?
No, but I believe both Mbappé and Vini are at their best if they are cutting in from the left wing, much like Rashford. I can see Vinícius or Rodrygo eventually leaving the club if Mbappé does go there.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
forget the hattrick. he's scored in consecutive world cup finals. Has anyone actually ever done that before?
I think only Vava in consecutive finals (58 and 62) but there are others who have scored in 2 non consecutive WC finals (Pele, breitner, zidane). Some pretty big names there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We shouldn’t be married to the idea that we need 1:1 replacements, never going to happen and very limiting way to go about things.

I think we have enough creativity. Vini, Rodrygo, Jude. We create a fair amount and Mbappe will add to that. Control is something Kroos really offers and I’m hoping Cama can grow in that role. Still young and he is a bit reckless but I hope we can make it work.

I kinda like the idea of turning Cama into a LB but he isn’t good enough defensively. Tchou at CB seems to do well but hasn’t been truly tested that much. And Rudi/Militao should always play.

Vini-Mbappe-Fede
Jude-Cama
Davies-Militao-Rudi-Tchou-Carvajal

Would be another option. We got a lot of options really. Not the worst problem to have.

I propose fielding 12 players. Just us though.
Camavinga will definitely mature into an elite midfield controller. He has everything for it. You also have players like Brahim Diaz and Arda Guller, Nico Paz and Theo Zidane in the pipe line, all bursting with potential. Bellingham himself has just scratched the surface of what he can do.

I'd say your forward planning to replace Kroos and Modric long term is far better than most realise right now.

In Mbappe, I see a hyper-talented player who can be the best in the world, who sold his career up the river and now has a very middling/uninspiring CV. The guy is in his mid-twenties, meant to be in his prime and he's got some tractor championships (Ligue 1). His fan club leans so heavily on the WC win that the trophy might snap tbh (a WC win is great to win but a tiny bit of a hollow achievement given the luck of birth - if the man was Canadian, he wouldn't winning a world cup) hence why I don't like grabbing international victories when appraising a player unless you have too (CR7/Messi)

Outside of that, he's achieved very little of note except for making about $500m playing for a small club. Now he has a choice, does he want to go down in immortality and be considered one of the all-time greats (yes he can do this) or does he just look at the commercials of playing? Taking club offers, not for football but for money?

I think he's stuck and unless he decides to lower his expectations, Madrid won't sign him and he's then left with PSG or Saudi.
You are out of touch with reality if you seriously think Mbappe will find it hard to find elite employment

No, but I believe both Mbappé and Vini are at their best if they are cutting in from the left wing, much like Rashford. I can see Vinícius or Rodrygo eventually leaving the club if Mbappé does go there.
The thing is though Mbappe won a league title playing in a two striker striker formation at Monaco. Its also a myth he is most effective on the left. He can play either wing equally well and down the middle. What he actually hates is playing as a lone striker because it is restricts and limits his freedom as a player.

I have no doubt Real Madrid plan to play Mbappe and Vini Jr as a twin striker pairing with the freedom to roam. With Bellingham being the guy holding things together down the center of attack.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Imagine a modern coach like Xabi Alonso managing the best player in the world Mbappe surrounded by technical and strong players in a couple of years so.

Liverpool will be candidates to win everything.
He simply isn’t coming to Liverpool. The only scenario where he’d be a liverpool player is if we’d signed him at 18 from Monaco. In no universe are our owners sanctioning an annual salary of £200m, and neither does our sporting structure support that sort of outlay on an individual player at the expense of skimping elsewhere on the squad.

He’ll either go to Madrid, re-sign at PSG, be a vanity purchase for United/Chelsea, sign for City. In that order of probability I think. No other club would be in the running.

Bayern may be able to afford him but are too sensible to sanction such an outlay on one player. Barca are drowning in debt. The italian clubs are too poor.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s going to Real, I’m sure. If they continue playing two up front it’ll be Vini and Mbappe, which is frankly ridiculous. With Rodrigo and Endrivk as rotation options. The oldest being 25/26. Absolutely sensational.

Midfield options of Bellingham, Camavinga, Tchouameni, and Valverde. All young. And I’m sure they’ll sign a player of a more creative profile.

reckon they’ll get Davies in for LB. And suspect they’ll add an RB. Then they’ve got Militao, Rudiger, Alaba and Nacho for those CB spots.

Briñliant squad. Brilliant starting xi. Have players like Diaz too. Who are really good.

They can easily play a front three of Rodrigo, Vini and Mbappe. So many options. So much pace and goal scoring threat. The dribbling is ridiculous.

Could easily see them having a summer of something like Mbappe, Wirtz, Davies and an Rb. One of those Madrid summers.

IrishMcD

I get the “I don’t want him here” arguments but when they are backed up with “we have enough quality in Rashford and ….” you really devalue your argument. Rashford is not good enough, nor has the mentality to be successful at a title winning club. He should be one of the first players shown the door this summer if we are truly trying to change and improve the culture at the club.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You are out of touch with reality if you seriously think Mbappe will find it hard to find elite employment
AT HIS CURRENT RATE OF PAY

Guys please read:

I think he's stuck and unless he decides to lower his expectations, Madrid won't sign him and he's then left with PSG or Saudi.
Given he was apparently underwhelmed by Madrid's offer, I think he has to be realistic.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s obviously better than what we have but we can’t afford him.

Id much rather we sort out defence and midfield before worrying about players like him.

Sort our build up with proper options that can play a high line and are excellent on the ball.

Plastic Evra

The mood in Paris is that it's probably done he's leaving.
A good summation from a fan : "Arguably the best player we had in our history, but not my favorite."

Jeffthered

Any club would take Mbappe if available and he wanted to join. But Real Madrid is where he should be. They will adore him. We are not in that space right now. Real should try and keep Vinicius Jnr though.. he's another astonishing talent, just getting back to full fitness etc. Vinicius Jnr is awesome. Where he goes will be interesting ( and I don't want him near the Prem' if we don't have him...)

Crimson King

I don't think there's even been a player who's worth that much money. It would completely torpedo your wage structure, something we're apparently trying to stop at United.

GlasgowCeltic

He’s going to Real, I’m sure. If they continue playing two up front it’ll be Vini and Mbappe, which is frankly ridiculous. With Rodrigo and Endrivk as rotation options. The oldest being 25/26. Absolutely sensational.

Midfield options of Bellingham, Camavinga, Tchouameni, and Valverde. All young. And I’m sure they’ll sign a player of a more creative profile.

reckon they’ll get Davies in for LB. And suspect they’ll add an RB. Then they’ve got Militao, Rudiger, Alaba and Nacho for those CB spots.

Briñliant squad. Brilliant starting xi. Have players like Diaz too. Who are really good.

They can easily play a front three of Rodrigo, Vini and Mbappe. So many options. So much pace and goal scoring threat. The dribbling is ridiculous.

Could easily see them having a summer of something like Mbappe, Wirtz, Davies and an Rb. One of those Madrid summers.
Almost too good a rebuild to be true but Kroos retiring would be massive. Suspicion is he’ll stay another year and they’ll ultimately target Enzo. Carvajal is in some career best form so don’t think they’ll look to replace him yet.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
So what happens with Vinícius in the case of Mbappé's arrival?
It’s Real Madrid here, they don’t care. Makelele, McManaman, Sneijder, Robben, Seedorf etc…

They have been soulless long before the real soulless clubs arrived.

Rojofiam

It’s Real Madrid here, they don’t care. Makelele, McManaman, Sneijder, Robben, Seedorf etc…

They have been soulless long before the real soulless clubs arrived.
Well, if he doesn't play LW again after this season and won't ask to leave, he'll only have himself to blame.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
So what happens with Vinícius in the case of Mbappé's arrival?
In the remote case Florentino signs the player that has been rejecting him during 7 seasons, Real Madrid will play 4-3-1-2 with Vinicius and Mbappe upfront and Bellingham behind the two. Vinicius will initially start on the left and Mbappe will play as a striker on the right but more freedom than your typical 9.

This may cause a big conflict imo as Mbappe prefers to play on the left.

Stadjer

In the remote case Florentino signs the player that has been rejecting him during 7 seasons, Real Madrid will play 4-3-1-2 with Vinicius and Mbappe upfront and Bellingham behind the two. Vinicius will initially start on the left and Mbappe will play as a striker on the right but more freedom than your typical 9.

In the Frenkie de Jong thread i have been reading that when a player refused to sign for your club, that player lost his chance to join the club he rejected. What gives Real Madid and Florentino Perez the right to break that rule?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
In the Frenkie de Jong thread i have been reading that when a player refused to sign for your club, that player lost his chance to join the club he rejected. What gives Real Madid and Florentino Perez the right to break that rule?
That rule does not exist.

Rojofiam

That's why I asked. I don't think that either of those two should be wasted by shoehorning them into a position where they can't give as much as they could on the left.

I obviously don't know as well as Madrid supporters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Madrid wanting to offload Vini to PSG/Bayern/a Premier League club.

And if I recall correctly, didn't Mbappé kick up a fuss at PSG because he was played as a #9 opposed to his preferred position on the left wing?

That's why they let Neymar go and promised Mbappé to bring in a number 9 he could play with from the left, if I'm not mistaken.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Like I've just said, I really don't think Mbappé will want that.
Then they don’t sign him. He’ll get told what the plans are in his negotiations with them. If it doesn’t work for either then I guess he doesn’t join.

Rojofiam

Then they don’t sign him. He’ll get told what the plans are in his negotiations with them. If it doesn’t work for either then I guess he doesn’t join.
Yes, I don't think this deal is done and dusted just yet...or Madrid will be willing to offload Vinícius.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I'm curious how the relationship and competition will be among Vini, Bellingham and Mbappe. The dressing room seems healthy but rivalry between them will be inevitable.
Salary, popularity, position on the field, goals/assists, good press for the ballon d'or, even penalties.
It would also be nice if Rodrygo got a bit angry and step forward, like in the 14th