La Liga 2018/19

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol: The single worst thing about Barcelona/Messi compilations on YouTube.
He honestly does my head in, he has a real love-in for Messi, any two yard pass is "a touch of genius, softer than silk, absolutely astonishing from the man from Argentina, the Barcelona magician".

cyberman

Vidal looks weird in a Barca shirt. It looks like a signal that your FIFA save has gone on for too long.

Pagh Wraith

He honestly does my head in, he has a real love-in for Messi, any two yard pass is "a touch of genius, softer than silk, absolutely astonishing from the man from Argentina, the Barcelona magician".
Messi is as cool as the seeds in a cucumber to be fair.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Awful game, happy with the result.
We were good in the beginning and the end of the game. They're just a better team than us unfortunately, and were playing at home. Still, this is a far cry from the dumpster fire of Lopetegui

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The worst thing about it is that his voice actually dwells in your mind. Like I could hear his voice as I read what you wrote just now. First time I heard him I thought it was entertaining but novelty wore off very quickly!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The worst thing about it is that his voice actually dwells in your mind. Like I could hear his voice as I read what you wrote just now. First time I heard him I thought it was entertaining but novelty wore off very quickly!
I was the exact same, when I first heard him I thought it was great how much he got into his commentary, that enjoyment did not last long :lol:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Modric was hacking down Arthur all night and got nothing.
Ramos should have been sent off.
How Carvajal didn't even get booked is beyond me.
Meanwhile our guys got booked for breathing on the Madrid players.

Horrible little cnut that Lahoz. I'm sure he's ecstatic that he got his shite face on camera.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Semedo was impressive, maybe his best game so far for Barcelona.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Good result for Barca, even if they conceded. Messi to qualify them in the second leg.
I'm not so sure. On one hand they were fortunate not to concede more, and giving up the away goal could be costly.

On the other hand, Dembele could run riot against this Madrid defense.

DaGOAT

In 4 of the last 5 league Clásico's at Bernabeu, Barcelona have scored 3 goals or more. That's a ridiculous statistic. They'll fancy themselves to turn this around. Especially with both Dembele and Messi back.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Another big game, another screw up by Alba that costs us a goal and another day with Suarez being shittier the further away from goal he plays.

We survive today without Leo, but watching us fail in the same things we've screwed the last 3 years puts my hopes on a deep UCL run even lower.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Another big game, another screw up by Alba that costs us a goal and another day with Suarez being shittier the further away from goal he plays.

We survive today without Leo, but watching us fail in the same things we've screwed the last 3 years puts my hopes on a deep UCL run even lower.
Is Semedo playing well for Barça?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Today’s game was comfortably the best he’s ever had in a Barca jersey.

He doesn’t get enough playing time which is frustrating as he’s a much better defender than Sergi Roberto but Roberto does offer a lot more in attack. Our right side has been pretty dire so of Semedo can string together more performances like these it would fix a lot of issues Barca have on that side of the pitch.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Today’s game was comfortably the best he’s ever had in a Barca jersey.

He doesn’t get enough playing time which is frustrating as he’s a much better defender than Sergi Roberto but Roberto does offer a lot more in attack. Our right side has been pretty dire so of Semedo can string together more performances like these it would fix a lot of issues Barca have on that side of the pitch.
Strange you mention this because Semedo main strength here in Portugal was offensively because he wasn't reliable positioning himself on defensive terms.

Don't know why Santos doesn't like him. He stopped calling him to the NT after the Confederations Cup. Don't have time to watch 90 minutes over 90 minutes of every game, but good to see he is adapting there. Never easy to play at that level for Barcelona.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe Madrid have been the smarter of the two clubs holding back their spending (barring two expensive kids from Brazil). Barcelona have spunked their load and amidst seemingly successful signings like Arthur and Dembele, they've also signed Coutinho, Lenglet and Malcolm, and still seem to rely too much of Messi and Suarez. Not enough transformational transfers for such a huge outlay.

If Madrid start spending big and they surely will soon, they have a great shot and starting to dominate the rivalry given Barca didn't get enough out their spree IMO.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Maybe Madrid have been the smarter of the two clubs holding back their spending (barring two expensive kids from Brazil). Barcelona have spunked their load and amidst seemingly successful signings like Arthur and Dembele, they've also signed Coutinho, Lenglet and Malcolm, and still seem to rely too much of Messi and Suarez. Not enough transformational transfers for such a huge outlay.

If Madrid start spending big and they surely will soon, they have a great shot and starting to dominate the rivalry given Barca didn't get enough out their spree IMO.
Lenglet has been fairly good IMO, especially as he was supposed to be a #3 CB option. He's done a very decent job as a starter in Umtiti's place, at his age and considering the current fees I feel he's been a relative success so far.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

They're basically following the old United way aren't they? Spend big on 1-2 players here and there (not lately though, Vinicius excluded) and trust in youth. Makes sense because their first team was starting to have a high average age and it would have been too hard to "refresh" their squad without losing too much quality without spending like they did previously.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

I disagree, Arthur, Alena and De Jong are gonna be one hell of a midfield trio moving forward to put behind Dembele who looks very good for his age.

Lenglet has been fantastic for the injured Umtiti. Malcolm will be sold and Coutinho was fantastic last season but looks like a fish out of water in the 4-4-3 this season.

I'd much much rather have Barca's core over Madrid's core and whoever they sign. Unless they sign 3 superstars this summer, Barca looks to be pretty set. Losing Messi is going to be painful, but for the first time in a long time it feels like there's an actual plan in place with the youth for the next ten years.

I also still expect Barca to sign another CB like De Ligt or something this summer.

amolbhatia50k

I disagree, Arthur, Alena and De Jong are gonna be one hell of a midfield trio moving forward to put behind Dembele who looks very good for his age.

Lenglet has been fantastic for the injured Umtiti. Malcolm will be sold and Coutinho was fantastic last season but looks like a fish out of water in the 4-4-3 this season.

I'd much much rather have Barca's core over Madrid's core and whoever they sign. Unless they sign 3 superstars this summer, Barca looks to be pretty set. Losing Messi is going to be painful, but for the first time in a long time it feels like there's an actual plan in place with the youth for the next ten years.

I also still expect Barca to sign another CB like De Ligt or something this summer.
Fair enough. I don't watch a lot of full games of Barcelona these days but always catch the highlights and it seems opponents always seems rack up loads of chances with the games being rather even. I actually forgot about De Jong. Seems he and Arthur (lovely player) is a terrific core.

Malcom and Coutinho seem a real waste. 170 million on the pair of them was it? Didn't know lenglet was impressing.

MrEleson

This game showed me how competitive Real Madrid still are without Cristiano. With him in their side, they would easily be strong contenders to make it 4 in a row for the CL. They could have killed the game in the 1st half with more decisiveness and experience by certain members of the team. I still see them going far without him nonetheless.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
80% of the time I've watched Barca this season, they've played within themselves.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not so sure. On one hand they were fortunate not to concede more, and giving up the away goal could be costly.

On the other hand, Dembele could run riot against this Madrid defense.
Barca's away record at Bernabeu is impressive and Messi is surely starting ;)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

They are smarter, since Barcelona is club that is probably run by school boys who by the looks of it don't watch too much football.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
This game showed me how competitive Real Madrid still are without Cristiano. With him in their side, they would easily be strong contenders to make it 4 in a row for the CL. They could have killed the game in the 1st half with more decisiveness and experience by certain members of the team. I still see them going far without him nonetheless.
No Messi until the second half and no Dembele, they just lost 5-1 not that long ago. They've certainly improved but are FAR from being CL contenders with the current squad. They were dominated in the second half.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No Messi until the second half and no Dembele, they just lost 5-1 not that long ago. They've certainly improved but are FAR from being CL contenders with the current squad. They were dominated in the second half.
I didn't watch the match. How did Malcolm play? Read that he scored the equaliser.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Most of the second half. We finished stronger and if anything, had the best chance to win the game. Apart from the goal you created very little
I didn't watch the match. How did Malcolm play? Read that he scored the equaliser.
Easily their best player

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most of the second half. We finished stronger and if anything, had the best chance to win the game. Apart from the goal you created very little

Easily their best player
Aargh, thanks giorno. He's not had tons of opportunities from my limited time I've watched them, but recently his cameos have looked decent.

amolbhatia50k

Coutinho is well on his way to being possibly the biggest flop of all time. He was signed for 150 million or something, wasn't he? Think he gave the ball away yesterday too which Madrid nearly scored from.

I only caught the highlights but Madrid looked the more threatening team based on those getting a fair few 3 on 2/3s which should have resulted in another goal.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Coutinho is well on his way to being possibly the biggest flop of all time. He was signed for 150 million or something, wasn't he? Think he gave the ball away yesterday too which Madrid nearly scored from.

I only caught the highlights but Madrid looked the more threatening team based on those getting a fair few 3 on 2/3s which should have resulted in another goal.
Remember him starting well, then fading away.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Wonder what @Peyroteo will say now about Barcelona having the best team/squad.

They looked awful without Messi.
Barcelona have the best squad in world football, that is a fact. Not an opinion.

You actually do agree with that seeing as I believe you watch the games and follow the other top teams, if you don't like that fact and wish to ignore it because it goes against the narrative that you and a fair few others try to build that Messi is carrying a bunch of shit players on his back by coming here in every match day to shit on every other Barcelona player then that's your problem. Not mine.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Are you actually considering Lenglet and Malcom as bad signings? :lol:

Is there a single Barcelona fan that doesn't think they were worth every penny? Even Coutinho was fantastic last season and was Brazil's star at the World Cup where he was comfortably twice the player Neymar was for example. Now he's crap and a huge flop?

Barcelona have their future more than guaranteed... Semedo, Ter Stegen, Aleña, Arthur, Lenglet, Umtiti, De Jong, Dembele... What more do you want?

People here talk about Barcelona as if anything below being the best team of all time isn't good enough.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Strange you mention this because Semedo main strength here in Portugal was offensively because he wasn't reliable positioning himself on defensive terms.

Don't know why Santos doesn't like him. He stopped calling him to the NT after the Confederations Cup. Don't have time to watch 90 minutes over 90 minutes of every game, but good to see he is adapting there. Never easy to play at that level for Barcelona.
I think it's due to how we play, we have space on the left flank, that's why Alba is such an amazing offensive weapon, our team basculates to the right (especially due to Messi), so a link-up player like Sergi Roberto works better for us there on the offensive end, Semedo isn't as good on triangulations with midfield, and is inferior to Sergi Roberto crossing imo, his pace isn't being used because we do that on the other wing.

Defensively, our fullbacks aren't good at positioning, Sergi is better when pressing further up the pitch, but for our style Semedo's pace and stamina works wonders, he doesn't need to be on point with positioning, he just needs to be in time to bother attackers, and he usually does so most of the time, he's better chasing players than Roberto, and way, way better than Alba.

I'm liking him, he lacks some of that "Cruyff DNA" participating in our attacks to be our main starter, and I'd like to see him improve defending aerial duels, we really need one of our fullbacks to be decent at it, and so far Alba and him suck, Roberto isn't an amazing header but at least he's better with positional marking in set pieces, probably due to his experience as a midfielder.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
They are smarter, since Barcelona is club that is probably run by school boys who by the looks of it don't watch too much football.
We're run by idiots, but our dof has some brilliant mids in there, they've gotten Umtiti, Rakitic and Arthur have proven to be big deals for the money they costed, Lenglet is solid, Paulinho and Vidal are useful players and not overprized (maybe Paulinho on his arrival, but he proved he was worht it), the Mina deal...

Our problem comes when we sign players from high profiles, we're missing all of those signings lately, Coutinho, Andre Gomes, Alcacer, Arda Turan... if we let our dof work their way without members of the board messing with our transfers we'd be all good.

As long as I remember, we always have great players but a solid core of 2nd tier players it's what drives us to success, Cocu, Hesp, Marquez, Edmilson, Van Bommel, Giuly, Larsson, Gio, Belletti... we need back that kind of players to cover spots when our youth ranks fail to produce top talent. Our borderline marquee signings (ahem... Saviola, Riquelme...) always seem to fai.