La Liga 2018/19

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Levante player kicked Casemiro's foot, how is that not a penalty?
You're not going to get people to admit they are wrong. Even if he hadn't made contact it was a dangerous challenge it was rightfully a penalty. People just need to read the laws of the game, it's literally immedially in the beginning of Law 12 which covers Fouls and Misconduct.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid have zero chances to win the league and their biggest star doesn't get along with the rest of the squad. That penalty call is quite unimportant in the great scheme of things.

Copa del Rey on Wednesday and Ajax one week later is all that matters.

zkap

Supports
Barça
It's Real Madrid so it's never a penalty, it just can't be.

Am I doing this right?
Yes. You have to understand that, when we see that Real Madrid got a penalty call in their favour, we immediately assume it wasn't a penalty, for obvious reasons. Fish gotta swim.

On this particular incident, I don't think it's a penalty. I see people mention the laws of the game so I had a peek. In my opinion, this action by the Levante player was neither careless nor reckles. He did not kick/tackle Casemiro nor did he attempt to do that. He was going for the ball in order to clear it from his own area, which is not an unusual or excessive action in his own box. He didn't get the ball, but he didn't "get" Casemiro either - the contact was minimal, it was a graze on the foot at best and Casemiro milked it. The manner in which the Levante player had swung his foot gave Casemiro the chance to fake a foul as there appeared to be strong contact. It's not odd to me that the ref called this, but VAR should have intervened.

I see where some people are coming from, as intent also has a role to play. But this is not the same as Figo making a studs up tackle on Puyol while Puyol is preparing to kick the ball, that was a very dangerous tackle and Puyol could have been seriously injured had he not drawn his foot back at the last moment. This, on the other hand, is different because Casemiro wasn't charged at, the Levante player wasn't going for him or at him.

It's a penalty if you think grazing someone's foot is a foul, and inside the box at that. It can maybe be a foul somewhere else on the pitch, but not in the box. I have to give it to Madrid, they're working around VAR, it's impressive.

Reactions: KM

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes. You have to understand that, when we see that Real Madrid got a penalty call in their favour, we immediately assume it wasn't a penalty, for obvious reasons. Fish gotta swim.

On this particular incident, I don't think it's a penalty. I see people mention the laws of the game so I had a peek. In my opinion, this action by the Levante player was neither careless nor reckles. He did not kick/tackle Casemiro nor did he attempt to do that. He was going for the ball in order to clear it from his own area, which is not an unusual or excessive action in his own box. He didn't get the ball, but he didn't "get" Casemiro either - the contact was minimal, it was a graze on the foot at best and Casemiro milked it. The manner in which the Levante player had swung his foot gave Casemiro the chance to fake a foul as there appeared to be strong contact. It's not odd to me that the ref called this, but VAR should have intervened.

I see where some people are coming from, as intent also has a role to play. But this is not the same as Figo making a studs up tackle on Puyol while Puyol is preparing to kick the ball, that was a very dangerous tackle and Puyol could have been seriously injured had he not drawn his foot back at the last moment. This, on the other hand, is different because Casemiro wasn't charged at, the Levante player wasn't going for him or at him.

It's a penalty if you think grazing someone's foot is a foul, and inside the box at that. It can maybe be a foul somewhere else on the pitch, but not in the box. I have to give it to Madrid, they're working around VAR, it's impressive.
VAR intervenes when the play is 100% clear, no subject to any interpretation. As for the second comment :wenger:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The problem with that play is that if you call it it's bad and if you don't call it it's also bad. There will be controversy no matter what happens.

The "fish gotta swim" comment sounds funny coming from a guy supporting a team where Mascherano had free license to make as many penalties as we wanted to with no calls at all for years.

UncleBob

It was a penalty.

Dive, imho. At best he barely graces him, Casemiro has his right foot planted to the ground, that's the foot that gets "kicked" and that's the foot that Casemiro uses to plunge into the air with. If he connected with his leg he'd collapse to the ground, not go flying.

gaucho_10

Guardiola invented "crowding the ref" tactics while at Barca.

Messi get's a foul every time someone looks at him and when no one's looking and there's no ideas on the pitch he just runs into non-existent space between two players and get's a foul every single time. As incredibly good as he is, he still made a career out of that move.

Suarez is on a whole new level to likes of Busquets.

All of this is happening with VAR just like it was happening without it. It's also why you're winning in La liga and you suck in CL. There's no refs in CL to high five ech other for the cameras in the VAR room when they give a dubious penalty against Real, unlike in Spain.

zkap

Supports
Barça
As for the second comment :wenger:
I will elaborate. I don't consider this to be a foul and it should not be a foul anywhere on the pitch. What I was getting at is the fact contact is usually judged differently depending on where it happens. A simple shirt tug can be called a foul in the middle of the pitch even if it's just a brief and mild contact, but it will not be a foul in the box because the referee will want to see stronger contact to award a penalty for. If this had happened in the centre circle, of course the ref would blow the whistle even if he sees that there's very little or no contact, because he will want to deescalate the situation and the easiest decision is to give a foul and end it right there. It makes no difference if he's wrong or right so this is why you'll see this whistled easily by the half-way line. But in the box you don't blow the whistle for this because this simply doesn't warrant a penalty kick and it can make a big difference to the game, as we saw last night.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Messi get's a foul every time someone looks at him and when no one's looking and there's no ideas on the pitch he just runs into non-existent space between two players and get's a foul every single time. As incredibly good as he is, he still made a career out of that move.

All of this is happening with VAR just like it was happening without it. It's also why you're winning in La liga and you suck in CL. There's no refs in CL to high five ech other for the cameras in the VAR room when they give a dubious penalty against Real, unlike in Spain.
Bwahahaha

You guys had been getting away with murder in CL with offside goals plenty of times. Barca have been winning the domestic league because Madrid constantly crapped the bad and lacked
Consistentcy. There’s been far more controversies with Madrid in CL and the refs tha there has been with Barca in Spain recent years.

That was absolutely no way in heck a penalty. It was a blatant dive. Barca have absolutely had some good calls go their way with VAR and had two penalty shouts go against them the other night as well.

I can’t fathom how anyone could defend Casemiro’s dive as a penalty. Benzema’s penalty was
Legit no one is complaining about that but that second one was just laughable.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

You had to mention Messi, the player in Europe that gets the less calls from all the contact he receives.

As for what happens in this "penalty" is pretty simple, if that happens in the other area the media would go crazy over this call, and the people defending that contact is a penalty are the same ones that fought tooth and nail that Pepe didn't even touch Alves in the 2011 UCL semis, is just another case of "If you don't stop moaning for stupid things, be prepared to be criticized back when it's your turn."

Just saying that we invented crowding the ref... yeah, it didn't exist before Guardiola, and we started doing it just because of habit, not because the most protected team in the world was kicking our players left and right.

kaempen

I will elaborate. I don't consider this to be a foul and it should not be a foul anywhere on the pitch. What I was getting at is the fact contact is usually judged differently depending on where it happens. A simple shirt tug can be called a foul in the middle of the pitch even if it's just a brief and mild contact, but it will not be a foul in the box because the referee will want to see stronger contact to award a penalty for. If this had happened in the centre circle, of course the ref would blow the whistle even if he sees that there's very little or no contact, because he will want to deescalate the situation and the easiest decision is to give a foul and end it right there. It makes no difference if he's wrong or right so this is why you'll see this whistled easily by the half-way line. But in the box you don't blow the whistle for this because this simply doesn't warrant a penalty kick and it can make a big difference to the game, as we saw last night.
This is correct and it is as it should be. It's normal to look upon rules, laws and regulations in this way. The rule book must be applied with some intuitive sense and morals. It cannot be strictly mechanical red tapism, such as always awarding a penalty if one would have awarded a freekick if it were outside the box.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What frustrated me on that is VAR should really start calling out the divers and players who try to decieve refs by winning penalties.Instead they're being awarded penalties that win games.

Now there may have been a tiny touch on his foot but look at Casemiro, he's gone down like Levante player has properly assualted him and broken his foot. So rolling round, a quick look at the ref no doubt and when he's seen he's got what he wanted, up without a scratch and sprinting two minutes later.

What should've happened is VAR deciding nowhere near enough contact for a potential match winning penalty, Casemiro booked for deception and then him out of the Classico. Punishment like that would maybe make him think twice about doing it again.

Imagine if all this happens in the CL final ffs.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Big chance wasted by Real Sociedad. A win would have put them in the driving seat for the 4th spot, imo.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
What frustrated me on that is VAR should really start calling out the divers and players who try to decieve refs by winning penalties.Instead they're being awarded penalties that win games.

Now there may have been a tiny touch on his foot but look at Casemiro, he's gone down like Levante player has properly assualted him and broken his foot. So rolling round, a quick look at the ref no doubt and when he's seen he's got what he wanted, up without a scratch and sprinting two minutes later.

What should've happened is VAR deciding nowhere near enough contact for a potential match winning penalty, Casemiro booked for deception and then him out of the Classico. Punishment like that would maybe make him think twice about doing it again.

Imagine if all this happens in the CL final ffs.
No, it doesn't work like that.

Sanctions are applied in the same competition where the infraction takes place. The Levante game was Liga, the Clasico (just one s) will be the Copa.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No, it doesn't work like that.

Sanctions are applied in the same competition where the infraction takes place. The Levante game was Liga, the Clasico (just one s) will be the Copa.
Aren't Barca and Real Madrid playing in the league next weekend? Think I read on other page if Casemiro got booked in Levante game, he'd miss that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Big chance wasted by Real Sociedad. A win would have put them in the driving seat for the 4th spot, imo.
0-0 is fine. They were missing Januazj and Willian Jose so massively weakened in attack and also had players missing in defence and midfield.

Girona did win away to Real Madrid so more confident than they have been in recent times.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Bordalas has not only managed to be in CL positions with Getafe. He also looks way younger than 12 years ago.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Aren't Barca and Real Madrid playing in the league next weekend? Think I read on other page if Casemiro got booked in Levante game, he'd miss that.
Yes, but it's kind of an "irrelevant" game. Madrid has neither the strength nor the motivation to compete for the league anymore. It's the first Clasico in Copa on Wednesday and the Ajax game on Tuesday that will make the difference for them this season. Casemiro is a very physical player that needs to be rested to get the most out of him. I don't see him being played in three demanding games in a row, and of course he will be very needed in the first and third games.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes, but it's kind of an "irrelevant" game. Madrid has neither the strength nor the motivation to compete for the league anymore. It's the first Clasico in Copa on Wednesday and the Ajax game on Thursday that will make the difference for them this season. Casemiro is a very physical player that needs to be rested to get the most out of him. I don't see him being played in three demanding games in a row, and of course he will be very needed in the first and third games.
Ah I get you now. Still wouldn't want Barca coming and scoring another 3-5 goals as they've done in recent seasons though.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
0-0 is fine. They were missing Januazj and Willian Jose so massively weakened in attack and also had players missing in defence and midfield.

Girona did win away to Real Madrid so more confident than they have been in recent times.
Fair enough.

Big battle for the 4th spot though. Even Bilbao are in it! Who would have thought of this 1 month ago?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was reading an article on Aymeric Laporte today and they mentioned he had a really good friendship with Brahim Diaz.

Had completely forgot about him, has he been injured as he's barely played for Madrid despite them apparently promising him a regular start to tempt him from Man. City.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Was reading an article on Aymeric Laporte today and they mentioned he had a really good friendship with Brahim Diaz.

Had completely forgot about him, has he been injured as he's barely played for Madrid despite them apparently promising him a regular start to tempt him from Man. City.
It was obvious he wasn't going to play there either, seemed a sideways move at best.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Solari seems to take seriously that the starters have to be in a very good form.
He did it with Marcelo, even with Casemiro when Llorente linked a couple of good games and of course the continued presence of Lucas.
Asensio is also coming very slowly after the injury.
Perhaps playing the new signing would throw away all that idea and I do not think it would be nice for Ceballos or Isco, who is still in the stands.
But yes, he should have played something else, be at least on the bench to get involved in the team.
Why did PSG get rid of him in the first place? FFP?
I have no idea.Last year he played against Madrid but I don't know how he played the rest of the season

Yagami

Good post resistant
Madrid and Barsa will fight for Lo Celso.
Betis have a purchase option for 25 million(!!), which will execute.
It is said that Barcelona could offer a boy from the Masía.
While Madrid could include Mariano, Theo or Achraf
https://www.elconfidencial.com/depo...d-lo-celso-barcelona-fichaje-mariano_1847454/
Blimey O'Reilly.....

25mil for Lo Celso? What an absolute bargain. He's been bloody fantastic for Betis. Not surprised whatsoever Barca and Madrid are sniffing about.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So Barca or Real today? I'd go with another Messi masterclass.
Really hard games to call today and Saturday. Will either rest players for the league game? I think RM will come out and attack Barcelona and could be quite a few goals in both games.

Messi was great against Sevilla but pretty average against Lyon, Valladolid and Bilbao. Which Messi will turn up? These games could turn on a bit of quality or a refereeing decision. Both teams have been a bit hit and miss recently.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Suarez & Dembele need to play well. Messi can't win everygame by himself like against Sevilla.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Roberto playing in midfield instead of Vidal, color me surprised. Probably the best XI sans recently recovered Arthur.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Real are playing pretty well, missing chances though. Could come back to haunt them in the second half. Vinicius looking lively, could be some player if he continues developing to his mid twenties.

Barcelona haven't offered too much.

Just feel this Madrid side with a couple of signings, replacing Modric and a Striker could be back right to the top again.

wr8_utd

:'(
Madrid have been very good and Barca just awful. Hope they better up a better performance at the weekend.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
10 chances for Madrid, 0 goals.

1 chance for Barca, 1 goal.

Luís Suarez. He’s killing Madrid this season

marktan

Madrid dominated the first half but had absolutely terrible finishing. Now looms like they'll need Bale to create something.