La Liga 2018/19

Hoof the ball

What's astonishing is the amount of key or goal-scoring chances he creates every single game. He's already got an ungodly amount of assists and goals, combined, but if other were more clinical we'd be looking at even higher numbers, if that can be believed.

He makes the right pass at the right time with exactly the right weight, most or nearly all the time. He sees passes before I've even spotted them watching on a broadcast camera. Some peripheral vision.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
@FootballHQ the Bilbao goal was well onside. Terrible decision.
I just don't understand how they can go to VAR and disallow it due to the evidence infront of their eyes? Williams is behind the ball when crossed. The player crossing it was played on by a Villareal defender, it was so bizzare to me and huge given it happened in 88th minute.

You can't just rule it out due to Villareal players slightly stopping because a couple of them may have seen a flag go up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I just don't understand how they can go to VAR and disallow it due to the evidence infront of their eyes? Williams is behind the ball when crossed. The player crossing it was played on by a Villareal defender, it was so bizzare to me and huge given it happened in 88th minute.

You can't just rule it out due to Villareal players slightly stopping because a couple of them may have seen a flag go up.
This is from Athletic's own website (love the translations). Don't think they are impressed.

Firmness has continued in the second half and, after the draw, the team has retaken the initiative. However, it was not able to score the second goal. Well, not technically, but yes in the practice. After several minutes the VAR has ruled that there was something out of the rules in the play so the second goal of the Athletic Club was considered null.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Have the Spanish league / referees explained the decision. Did the flag go up? Was there a technical failure?

I would like them at the end of the season to go through and explain all the controversial VAR calls, if they made mistakes and how they will improve for the future. It's a new technology so not going to be perfect immediately.

If it's from the flag going up I can understand it, that is a mistake by the linesman, VAR protocol is not to raise the flag. If the flag is raised it's offside and it means the linesman thinks it is a clear decision and doesn't need VAR.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have the Spanish league / referees explained the decision. Did the flag go up? Was there a technical failure?

I would like them at the end of the season to go through and explain all the controversial VAR calls, if they made mistakes and how they will improve for the future. It's a new technology so not going to be perfect immediately.

If it's from the flag going up I can understand it, that is a mistake by the linesman, VAR protocol is not to raise the flag. If the flag is raised it's offside and it means the linesman thinks it is a clear decision and doesn't need VAR.
Flag must've gone up as a few of the Villlareal defenders were looking round and seemed to stop as Williams tapped it in. It was then reviewed with the ref listening to his earpiece for over two minutes. He didn't run to touchline to watch the footage though.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Flag must've gone up as a few of the Villlareal defenders were looking round and seemed to stop as Williams tapped it in. It was then reviewed with the ref listening to his earpiece for over two minutes. He didn't run to touchline to watch the footage though.
Similar to the Kane pen in league cup against us. Linesman stopped following play and so did our defenders. Don't think Keppa saw, had potential for big trouble if Kane squared it instead of drawing foul, or if Keppa did see he could just stand there pointing at the lino like Villarreal players did yesterday.

If they've made a mistake head of Spanish referees should come out and explain it and also what the procedure is if the Lino flags in error. Not difficult to do.

My understanding is the linesman is meant to flag once Williams puts the ball in the net / play is finished and it can then be VAR reviewed. Don't know if they have a clear set of VAR rules in Spain, they probably should though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of course not, offsides are objective, there's no need for the ref to watch the video himself. As for the flag going up, it matters nothing if the ref doesn't blow the play dead. So either the ref blew the offisde before the goal(and then VAR can't intervene) or it was a colossal scew up. VAR is really good at showing how incompetent these "top" refs are. The problem is the refs are a tight brotherhood with a lot of political influence, so they won't be called to task on it. Same stuff that's going on in Italy

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think it’s an experiment to check how far the propaganda can get, if he’s playing in the best squad in the world and you have people calling it shit so as to make him look better I think it’s been fairly successful.

Should probably go on to spend another billion on world class players and have twice the wage bill as any other club so the teammates are suitable enough for the best player of all time.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Barça Squad isn't good. They have no replacement for Alba or Suarez (only one leftback & number nine in the squad).

Johnny Love

Nonsense, maybe last year. This season Barca has the best squad in the World alongside City.
No way, not even close. They've made a lot of expensive purchases lately for sure however none of them addressing their major weaknesses. No replacement for Suarez, no replacement for Alba, weak RB, even the midfield is missing some true athleticism that is pretty evident when they play in CL. I would not say they have the best squad at all really.

AndyJ1985

Barça Squad isn't good. They have no replacement for Alba or Suarez (only one leftback & number nine in the squad).
Saying Barcelona's squad isn't good is like saying a Bugatti isn't fast. Just nonsense really

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
I meant is far from perfect. Good first XI but poor backups or no backups at all in some positions.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
They want to spend little because the starter is Suárez, there is no debate, and surely they were looking for someone who does not have the hope of playing often.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Boateng is still pretty good actually. They could do much worse. Given the situation, it's not a bad move

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Barca have an amazing squad. Not as good as man city’s but pretty good nonetheless. This is probably the best bench they’ve had in years

DavidDeSchmikes

Eibar beat Espanyol 3-0 tonight. Eibar in 11th, Espanyol in 13th (who have hit a bad patch of form (8 defeats in their last 9)
6 points separate 8th and 18th

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
No, this is totally like Rijkaard's era: a solid squad but also looking for foreign bargains, top subs and veteran squad players.
That barca side is total mediocrity if you take Messi out. How is KPB a foreign bargain/top sub/veteran ?

He doesn't fit the barca philosophy. But as I look upon the recruitment, more players are signed who just don't feel like barca players(paulinho, murillo, vidal and now KPB)

I haven't followed Barca under valverde so maybe I am missing a lot of things.

ayushreddevil9

:lol:

It's the best squad in the world with world class players all over the pitch ffs
Their top players are ageing and are showing signs of decline. Suarez, Pique, busquets and Rakitic no longer the players they were. You have to look at their performances with and without Messi.

Vidal and now KPB are past it. Lenglet? Murillo?

Coutinho, Demebele(with recent form), MATS and Umtiti are the only good ones for the future. I am still undecided on Arthur.

ayushreddevil9

:lol:

It's the best squad in the world with world class players all over the pitch ffs
Yeah I agree that mediocre was a bad choice if word but again, nothing better than the French and English champions

Deleted member 101472

Agree with @Peyroteo the Barcelona first XI is on a par with anyone in the world.

Is this their strongest XI?

Ter Stegen

Sergi Roberto
Pique
Umtiti
Alba

Busquets
Arthur
Rakitic

Dembele
Messi
Suarez

Leaves the likes of coutinho, Vidal, denis Suarez, rafinha on the bench, all of whom would start at 17 of the other 19 clubs in the league.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Their top players are ageing and are showing signs of decline. Suarez, Pique, busquets and Rakitic no longer the players they were. You have to look at their performances with and without Messi.

Vidal and now KPB are past it. Lenglet? Murillo?

Coutinho, Demebele(with recent form), MATS and Umtiti are the only good ones for the future. I am still undecided on Arthur.
Arthur has been class throughout his appearances, his form has been much better than Coutinho who is struggling to make an impact this season. The only positive to Dembele being out two weeks is that Coutinho will get a better chance to snap out of his funk.

ayushreddevil9

Arthur has been class throughout his appearances, his form has been much better than Coutinho who is struggling to make an impact this season. The only positive to Dembele being out two weeks is that Coutinho will get a better chance to snap out of his funk.
Yeah I have watched Arthur in the CL and he was brilliant. Then again I have a barca supporting mate and I have to bear with him and barca games so sometimes i found Arthur off pace/average. He has shown signs of quality so I am certain that he will come good. How good? No clues.

Deleted member 101472

Arthur looks like he’ll be a top midfield player in the world for several years. Hes class