La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd Gio vs Isotope

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

Please remember that players should only be judged by their performances in their assigned leagues for this draft (not career peak)

Team Gio

vs
Team Isotope

Team Gio

Our 4-2-1-3 / 4-2-3-1 hypbrid is founded on a solid and hard-working defensive set-up combined with a creative and swashbuckling attack. The central defensive axis is rock solid harnessing the raw aggression and grizzle of Carles Puyol with the all-roundedness of one of the Bundesliga's greatest ever defenders in Rune Bratseth. Behind them is Jose Luis Chilavert whose shot-stopping ability, smoothness on the ball, and sweeper-keeping complement the pair in front of him. The axis is flanked byStefan Turbo Reuter on the right, a rapid and tidy defender but also a relentless overlapper, a quality shared by Spanish and Barcelona left wing-back Sergi who dominated many a flank throughout the 1990s.

Serial winner Didier Deschamps anchors the midfield in the same effective way he provided the platform for Juventus and France's dominance through the second half of the 1990s. He is paired withOlaf Thon, a versatile midfielder who shone first as an attacking midfielder, then a central midfielder and finally as a libero. Importantly he is strong on both sides of the ball and will offer positive transitions going forward and reliably astute positioning going back. Serie A Juan Sebastian Veron was a hell of a player, often overshadowing many of the other great playmakers of the late 1990s, and his light always burned brightest when partnered with solid workaholics (for Deschamps see Simeone or Dino Baggio) who were happy to let him get on showcasing his passing range and vision.

Veron renews a successful club partnership with the best player on the park in Pavel Nedved. He should keep Cafu pegged right back but will equally have the freedom and inclination to roam and hunt for shooting opportunities and gaps in the back line. On the right is a Real Madrid legend in Michel, a classic right midfielder whose 4th place in the Ballon D'Or is only bettered as a wide midfielder in this pool by Nedved. Together that wing partnership will stretch the defence, present a variety of attacking threats and work back in behind the ball when required. Getting on the end of it all will be the great Careca, an all-round centre-forward who tastily linked up play, penetrated behind back lines, and leapt like a salmon in the air.

WHY WE WILL WIN:

• Range of attacking threats from wide areas and through the middle. Nedved, Veron and Michel could all conjure something out of nothing. If any of that three is shut out, then either of the other two are well placed to make the difference. We should be especially strong the flanks with the support from Sergi and Reuter available.
  • Stronger defensive and midfield spine. Puyol and Bratseth are effectively La Liga and Bundesliga upgrades on Sanchis and Hummels. Not that there are huge margins there, but the individual recognition each of those players has received is testament to a quality gap. It's the same in midfield with Deschamps, Veron and Thon against Pizarro, Mauro Silva, Van Bommel and Valeron. While I'm a big fan of Mauro Silva and Valeron, I'd wager we have a small but critical quality advantage in there.
  • By contrast, team Isotope will be heavily reliant on Valeron to create something out of nothing. In the absence of any genuine wide threat in the midfield or attack, Isotope's full-backs have to get forward. But given the calibre of our own wide threats, that is a risky business and in practice I can see both full-backs pegged back. Obviously we will need to keep an eye on Cafu and in that respect Nedved's work rate and defensive application will be important.

Team Isotope

The side executes a quasi 3-5-2 and 4-3-3, with the solid defensive and flexible attacking set-ups.

DEFENCE

The 1991 Best European Gk, 4 times Germany Gk of the Year, and 1990 World Cup winner Bodo Illgner was a god-like shot-stopper that’s guarding the goal. Standing in his front are the Real Madrid legend and captain Manuel 'Manolo' Sanchís, an energetic and aggressive CB. Partnering Manolo is the current Germany captain, the dashing Mats Hummels. Other than decent on air duel, Hummel’s famous for playmaking from the backline; capable of relieving pressure at backline, and even launching counter attack.

Defending on the side, while providing width outlet on attack are the arguably best right back of all-time Cafu, and the trickery hard-working Ze Roberto.

MIDFIELD AND ATTACK

World Cup winner, a workhorse with incredible stamina, tackling and leadership skills, Mauro Silva is capable of dropping deep to central defence, and helping midfield duel when needed.

Accompanying him in midfield are the Chilean playmaker David Pizarro and the powerful ex-Bayern captain Mark van Bommel. van Bommel was the first non-German captain in the history of Bayern Munich, and was voted Bayern Player of the Year in 2007. His FIFA World Cup profile describes him as "a tackling machine and expert ball-winner, but he also boasts a fine array of passes and a powerful shot,..". In 187 games for Munich, he contributed 16 goals and 20 assists playing mostly as defensive midfielder or box to box.

Under Luciato Spalletti at Roma, D. Pizarro contributed 11 goals and 35 assists in 129 games as central midfielder general controlling the game.

Main supplier to the attacking line is one of the Spain most technically gifted player, playmaker for the famous Super Depor of early to mid 2000’s: Juan Carlos Valeron. He's a prominent presence at Spain NT at that time. He, Claudio Lopez, and Roy Maakay where the three amigos behind Deportivo de la Coruna most successful period.

Leading the line is the skillful, creative, and powerful George Weah. Partnering him is the speedy Giuseppe "Beppe" Signori. Beppe was a 3 times Serie A top scorer, when the league was still peerless.

League Representation

VivaJanuzaj

League Representation:

Team Gio:
Buli

REUTER (GER)
BRATSETH (NOR)
THON (GER)
SUB: YEBOAH (GHA)

La LIGA

PUYOL (SPA)
SERGI (SPA)
CHILAVERT (PAR)
MICHEL (SPA)

Serie A
NEDVED (CZE)
VERON (ARG)
DESCHAMPS (FRA)
CARECA (BRA)

Team Isotope:
Buli

ILLGNER (GER)
HUMMELS (GER)
ZE ROBERTO (BRZ)
VAN BOMMEL (HOL)

La LIGA

VALERON (SPA)
M SILVA (BRZ)
SANCHIS (SPA)
Sub: SUKER (CRO)

Serie A
WEAH (LIB)
SIGNORI (ITA)
PIZARRO (CHIL)
CAFU (BRZ)

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Isotope's team looks excellent and significantly better than I thought it would on paper - Cafu and Ze Roberto are great in those roles and Valeron looks ominous behind that dynamic front two up top.

It looks like a really well thought out team - Sivori is also an excellent choice with his dribbling ability and tendency to peel out wide, which is well suited to a diamond system.

Lots to like about Gio's team as well which is more straightforward.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Wow.. what a terrible draw for both of the teams, would beat half of the dozen other sides in the draft with ease. I saw Gio's team and thought easy win but then Isotope's equal quality.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good luck Isotope. Fine team you have assembled and you won't hear a bad word on Valeron or Mauro from me.

PLAYER PROFILES:

JOSE LUIS CHILAVERT

Joined Real Zaragoza at 23 and returned to South America at 26. He spent three positive seasons in Spain, the highlight being a fifth place finish in 1989. A leaner figure than the chubster he would become in his 30s.

STEFAN REUTER
Coined 'Turbo' in homage to his sheer pace, Reuter was an important cog in the World Cup and European Championship successes of 1990 and 1996. A hard-working team-player who will invariably hold a flank together. Spent almost 20 seasons in the Bundesliga, winning the title five times.

SERGI
Perhaps the greatest left-back in Barcelona's history and third in the Spanish all-time stakes behind Camacho and Gordillo. Excellent crosser and dynamo who racked up 480 appearances for Barcelona and latterly Atletico Madrid.

CARLES PUYOL
Talismanic central defender who made it into 6 UEFA Teams of the Year and 5 ESM Teams of the Season. Physical and committed yet excelled in a high line. His absence was keenly felt by Barcelona and Spain post-2012.

RUNE BRATSETH
See profile.

DIDIER DESCHAMPS
Serial winner who was the bedrock behind the greatest club and international sides of the second half of the 1990s. Won 3 Serie A titles between 1994 and 1998.

JUAN SEBASTIAN VERON
Technically immaculate playmaker whose height and muscular frame enabled him to showcase his exceptional vision from central midfield. Orchestrated domestic and European success for Parma and Lazio during his prime years.

OLAF THON
Versatile midfielder who started out his career initially in attack, before moving back to midfield and ultimately settled at libero for Bayern and Schalke. A diminutive and nimble dribbler, busy and energetic who read the game well to excel at libero. Proven on both sides of the ball.

PAVEL NEDVED
Goalscoring midfielder brimming with energy and commitment. His repertoire of goals in Serie A was exceptional such was his ability to find the net from long range. Two-footed and aggressive, he inspired Juventus to the CL final in 2002-03, only to miss the match as a result of suspension. No less of a legend on the international stage as his talismanic performances at Euro 1996 and 2004 testify.

MICHEL
The foremost right-winger during the late-1980s and early-1990s as his Ballon D'Or nominations (4th in 1987, 13th in 1988 and 1989) testify. His fantastic crossing ability (Careca will love the service), eye for goal (good for 15-20 a season, 3rd top scorer at Italia '90 and European Cup top scorer in 1988) and creative interplay will be invaluable. Collected 16 titles at a Real Madrid team that was second only to the great Milan in the late 1980s.

CARECA
The mind boggles as to what Brazil may have achieved in 1982 had Careca not got injured on the eve of the tournament. In 1990 World Soccer wrote that he "has developed an explosive partnership with Maradona in the Italian league and rivals Van Basten for consideration as the game's top centre-forward."

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Signori Weah attack is just epic.....would love to watch that partnership!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great teams.

Ze Roberto is unlucky to face Michel + Reuter pairing, I think that they will expose his relative defensive weakness - I can only feel sorry for Isotope, terrible draw, Ze Roberto is absolutely fine playing an LB for the first round. Cafu + Van Bommel on the other side are better equipped to deal with Nedved and Sergi.

Very hard to decide here

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A little bit more on Rune Bratseth:

Hugely influential in Werder Bremen's understated team of the mid-to-late 1980s and early 1990s, libero Bratseth was three-times Norwegian Player of the Year and was named the country's greatest ever player by the Norwegian FA. Duelled with Jurgen Kohler for the Bundesliga's best defender in Kicker magazine's ratings, ranking first in 1988/89 and 1992/93, and second (behind Kohler) in 1987/88. I'm not a big fan of the definitions, but worth noting that he was considered 'world class' in 1988, 1992 and 1993 - no Bundesliga defender in the pool trumps that. One of his biggest fans was the Kaiser who, as West German manager in 1990, told the sweeper that had he been German, he'd have been starting for the XI that won Italia '90.
FIFA World Cup 1994 Technical Report said:
Rune Bratseth showed that he was the clear leader of the team. He plans to retire from the international scene and take up the position of manager of the Norwegian club side Rosenberg Trondheim . It was he who held the team together and was instrumental in seeing that the coach's tactics were carried out on the field.
Kicker in December 1988 said:
Bremen made up for the loss of Gunnar Sauer brilliantly with Rune Bratseth taking over that role after Sauer's initial replacement Michael Kutzop was also injured. The Norwegian, who is already in a class of his own as a marker, showcased impressively that he also knows how to interpet the role of libero in a brilliant way. The 1,93 meters tall defender, who Otto Rehhagel bought two years ago for 300,000 Marks from the Norwegian champion Rosenborg Trondheim, convinces with his versatility. In defense, he is almost insurmountable due to his pace, heading prowess and overview and as a libero, he also makes use of his freedom to roam forward stupendously. Bratseth's constantly above average performances, especially in the European Cup, tipped the balance to rate him as 'world class'. The brave 'Viking' would certainly play an outstanding role in any other European league, too. It also speaks for the deeply religious Bratseth that he does not intend to move southwards ("I feel well in Bremen, money is not everything").
It's worth remembering that was in 1988 and Bratseth continued to develop his legacy for another six years. He went on to cut an influential figure as Bremen won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1992. In the final they defeated a Monaco side 2-0, led in attack by George Weah, but who was ultimately powerless to do anything against Bratseth's defence.

World Soccer, June 1992.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Can't have bad words on your team @Gio . A fine midfield of Nedved, Veron, and Deschamps. A 'strange' choice of main striker there, I might say (a.k.a a hipster choice), with only a decent goal/game ratio: http://www.transfermarkt.com/careca/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/117626/verein/6195 . It may be excellent return in current United, but could be better for this draft.

For a manager's proclaim of the Bundesliga's greatest ever defenders in Rune Bratseth, he sure is able to keep low profile in all the Caf drafts.
Edit: 1992 European Cup Winner final
Seems like when he played for Bremen, he was part of a 3-men defence. Also, him and Puyol, are they compatible? as both looks similar in style (not a passing defender).

Anyway, I'll let my partner @Edgar Allan Pillow (:D) to be the team's main mouthpiece during the game, as I'm as soft as wet tofu attacking such an otherwise fine team.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

Unlucky for Nedved to meet Cafu in round 1 and vice versa. Either would've dominated any other first round flank.\
I really like Isotope's attack :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Great teams.

Ze Roberto is unlucky to face Michel + Reuter pairing, I think that they will expose his relative defensive weakness - I can only feel sorry for Isotope, terrible draw, Ze Roberto is absolutely fine playing an LB for the first round. Cafu + Van Bommel on the other side are better equipped to deal with Nedved and Sergi.

Very hard to decide here
Yeah. I have Ze Roberto there for his attacking attribute. He won't have to face those pair alone though.

Signori Weah attack is just epic.....would love to watch that partnership!
Who wouldn't? It's a beautiful pair. Both Serie A legends of the 90's that is more than a poacher.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For a manager's proclaim of the Bundesliga's greatest ever defenders in Rune Bratseth, he sure is able to keep low profile in all the Caf drafts.
Edit: 1992 European Cup Winner final
Seems like when he played for Bremen, he was part of a 3-men defence. Also, him and Puyol, are they compatible? as both looks similar in style (not a passing defender).
The beauty of Bratseth is that he excelled in a back four and back three set-ups. For instance, initially at Werder he played as a more conventional stopper defender. Then they unleashed him as a libero, but which he interpreted in a typically Scandinavian way. As Kicker said:

The tall, athletic Norwegian defender came to Bremen in 1986 where Otto Rehhagel first used him as a man-marker, a position he soon made a name for himself due to his fairness and calm way of going on about his task. However he really started to blossom when he was freed of marking duties in late-1988 when Rehhagel looked for a new libero as the injury-prone Gunnar Sauer needed to be replaced permanently. Rehhagel realized pretty soon that a very intelligent player like Bratseth was somewhat wasted as a marker, and when Sauer missed more and more games the decision was easy. His interpretation of the free role was conservative, more in tradition of a Willi Schulz than a Franz Beckenbauer, owing to Rehhagel’s conservative approach as well as Bratseth’s upbringing as a Scandinavian central defender in a flat back four, where no nonsense mentalities were more common for defenders than in the continental game with its libero tradition. On the pitch Bratseth distinguished himself with his fast acceleration (for his type of player), excellent positioning, great overview, technique and his personality.
He was also a rock for Norway in the 1994 World Cup leading a back four to concede just a single goal in the tournament.

The bottom line is that he was an all-round defender who stood out both as a conventional man marker, as a covering defender, and as a libero.

As for his ability on the ball, well I always liked this gem from some Noggie poster in response to a thread about defenders attacking the space.

Rune "The Mullet Moose" Bratseth attacked the feck out of Norwegian and German space for the better part of 15 years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Unlucky for Nedved to meet Cafu in round 1 and vice versa. Either would've dominated any other first round flank.\
I really like Isotope's attack :drool:
Thanks. Still can't believe that Gio at 3rd (or was it 4th?) pick-up order could have Nedved.

harms

Staff
Yeah. I have Ze Roberto there for his attacking attribute. He won't have to face those pair alone though.
Pizarro who is helping him is probably the weakest player on the pitch. You do have a 3-ish defensive unit in the centre, I'll give you that

harms

Staff
As for his ability on the ball, well I always liked this gem from some Noggie poster in response to a thread about defenders attacking the space.
:eek:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Very little to actively criticise here on either side, but two questions:

@Gio What's the rationale with Veron playing in an advanced midfield role behind a single striker? I know his stint in England is hardly representative of anything regarding his peak, but he struggled in that role at Utd, and even going back to his Sampdoria days I generally remember him in a deeper role.

@Isotope He's not a player I paid alot of attention to, but is Pizarro a good fit for a side midfield role in a diamond? I remember him as being good technically but not particularly mobile.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

@Gio What's the rationale with Veron playing in an advanced midfield role behind a single striker? I know his stint in England is hardly representative of anything regarding his peak, but he struggled in that role at Utd, and even going back to his Sampdoria days I generally remember him in a deeper role.

@Isotope He's not a player I paid alot of attention to, but is Pizarro a good fit for a side midfield role in a diamond? I remember him as being good technically but not particularly mobile.
To be honest Pat it's more about fitting his long triple-barrelled name onto the team sheet. In practice he'd be dropping inbetween Deschamps and Thon. And I agree he's much more of an 8 rather than a 10 and I've tried to position my wide midfielders ahead of him to show that. Fair point though - it's pure aesthetics rather than function.

Enigma_87

You know who
To be honest Pat it's more about fitting his long triple-barrelled name onto the team sheet. In practice he'd be dropping inbetween Deschamps and Thon. And I agree he's much more of an 8 rather than a 10 and I've tried to position my wide midfielders ahead of him to show that. Fair point though - it's pure aesthetics rather than function.
To be fair I think Yeboah instead of Thon would be better. You'd have Deschamps/Veron in the center and Nedved/Michel on the flanks. I to share the same concerns on Veron as a #10 or 10ish in that formation.

Apart from that the team is nicely balanced as always.

From Isotope's team I really like that strike partnership with Signori dropping to the left as well and Valeron providing the assists.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's not a player I paid alot of attention to, but is Pizarro a good fit for a side midfield role in a diamond?
Wouldn't say so, no. But I don't read his role as such: It looks like a diamond of sorts as per the formation pic, but it isn't meant as such if you go by the write-up. So, his role isn't that of a side midfielder in a traditional diamond set-up.

'Tope has gone for a somewhat unusual combination of player types, arguably, but that's no sin. Mauro Silva dropping down makes it a 5-3-2/3-5-2 with Pizarro in a playmaking sort of DM role - and v. Bommel doing the dirty work alongside him (dirty being the operative term, one could add).

Pat_Mustard

:lol: It looks very fetching on the team sheet, and I can see that unit working very well in practice. Its hard to find much fault with your team really. A solid defence, good width from the full backs and wingers, and well set up to control a game with that midfield trio and the contribution of Nedved and Michel. The only slight criticism is that it doesn't look absolutely prolific in terms of scoring threat, but that threat is nicely spread out between Careca, Nedved, Michel and what I'm assuming is the younger incarnation of Thon. And with that rich seam of creativity throughout the side, there'll be plenty of chances created. Incidentally, any time I look at their records Nedved is invariably a little less prolific and Michel much more prolific than I remember.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Pizarro spent mostly as deep playmaker, pinging passes, as I like him to do in this team. EDIT: as @Chesterlestreet said.

Although there are times where he's also capable to venture forward: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/05/teams-of-the-decade-5-roma-2007/

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
For one, I think Iso has the better goal threat. Both Michel and Nedved are up against excellent fullbacks and with Silva in the same area as Veron, I think Iso has all the right counters. On the flip side, one of Pizarro or Valerie will thread a pass to Iso's strikers who can bully a goal in. It's a very tight match but the compact formation of Iso will get an edge imo.

Pat_Mustard

Wouldn't say so, no. But I don't read his role as such: It looks like a diamond of sorts as per the formation pic, but it isn't meant as such if you go by the write-up. So, his role isn't that of a side midfielder in a traditional diamond set-up.

'Tope has gone for a somewhat unusual combination of player types, arguably, but that's no sin. Mauro Silva dropping down makes it a 5-3-2/3-5-2 with Pizarro in a playmaking sort of DM role - and v. Bommel doing the dirty work alongside him (dirty being the operative term, one could add).
Pizarro spent mostly as deep playmaker, pinging passes, as I like him to do in this team. EDIT: as @Chesterlestreet said.

Although there are times where he's also capable to venture forward: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/05/teams-of-the-decade-5-roma-2007/

Fair points all around chaps, and duly noted.

sajeev

two top-class teams going against each other. Am inclined to go with @Isotope as he has few of my personal favourites

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For one, I think Iso has the better goal threat. Both Michel and Nedved are up against excellent fullbacks and with Silva in the same area as Veron, I think Iso has all the right counters. On the flip side, one of Pizarro or Valerie will thread a pass to Iso's strikers who can bully a goal in. It's a very tight match but the compact formation of Iso will get an edge imo.
A couple of points on that.

The first is with regards to goal threat. Iso's set-up is very much reliant on Valeron conjuring something up for Bepe and Weah. Now I'm a big Valeron fan, but he's got his work cut out against Deschamps who chewed up and spat out loads of great playmakers in repeatedly winning Serie A, making Champions League Finals, and winning the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000. And obviously if he's shut out, I'm not sure how the attack will be serviced.

In contrast, we have a range of threats from different areas of the park. Veron is the best passer on the park and probably the entire draft and has loads of wide options to fizz it out towards. And nothing is stopping Nedved and Michel picking up the ball and running with it to make that transition into attacking areas - it's what they were famous for.

The second point is to do with Iso's excellent full backs cancelling our wide threat. Up against a diamond we clearly have an advantage in wide areas. In possession there will be plenty of opportunity for Reuter to double up with Michel on Ze Roberto, or equally on the other flank with Nedved and Sergi. Both full-backs also excelled as attacking wing-backs and will have big roles to play here. Even moreso when we take into account the need for the side-central midfielders in Iso' diamond to cover across. Van Bommel could do a passable job on that, because he's a grafter and dirty, but I don't see Pizzaro offering much defensive resistance to come across to stop Reuter advancing. And really you need specialists for those side-central midfielders because the demands on that job are so high (effectively covering two positions) and require excellence in the centre and out wide. So good fits in that respect would be Davids, Mendieta, Gattuso, whereas Van Bommel and Pizzaro convince much less.

montpelier

Gio gets this one for me. Nicely balanced team, like the front 4.

Also time to salute the endeavour & footy nous of all the team-compiling participants. Great fun, jolly well played everyone.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You might wish to find out a little more about what sort of player Olaf Thon was. Well this video of his performance against the Euro champions Holland in 1989 gives a good indication.

And here he is giving a bit of a doing to a well known defensive midfielder:

He is up against Pizzaro and Van Bommel here and I fancy his chances of impacting the game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Even moreso when we take into account the need for the side-central midfielders in Iso' diamond to cover across. Van Bommel could do a passable job on that, because he's a grafter and dirty, but I don't see Pizzaro offering much defensive resistance to come across to stop Reuter advancing. And really you need specialists for those side-central midfielders because the demands on that job are so high (effectively covering two positions) and require excellence in the centre and out wide. So good fits in that respect would be Davids, Mendieta, Gattuso, whereas Van Bommel and Pizzaro convince much less.
Yes, but it isn't actually a diamond in the sense you imply. It's a custom 4-1-3-2 of sorts, with decidedly offensive fullbacks.

Now, you may reasonably argue that given your own set-up (your right flank, in short), Pizarro would have to chip in with some work he isn't ideally suited for, but that's different from portraying him as a poor fit - which I feel you're doing here. And the latter simply isn't fair: He has a role to play in the build-up, primarily, and he clearly isn't meant to operate as anything like a Mendieta or a Gattuso.

The problem is your wide men doubling up on the not-so-solid (defensively) Ze Roberto - which would require someone (and quite plausibly Pizzaro, depending on the circumstances) to put up some extra defensive resistance, as you put it. But that isn't a structural problem - it's a possible flaw that can be exploited if you manage to force your opponent off balance. Generally, when you're on the ball he's got five men at the back - plus the grafting and tactically clever v. Bommel. That's the overall context Pizzaro appears in - not in some sort of Gattuso capacity which requires him to play a prominent grafting/defensive part all the time.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
whereas Van Bommel and Pizzaro convince much less.
He is up against Pizzaro and Van Bommel here and I fancy his chances of impacting the game.
I think you are underestimating both of them. Van Bommel was a midfield machine. Great tackler blessed with creative passing ability too. Pizzaro is a midfield playmaker. He is a master of dictating play, speeding up or slowing down things to suit his team's needs. Between them they have adequate creativity to support Valeron. I'll admit to knowing a bit less about Thon, but both Deschamps and Thon are quite defensive players. In the context of this match, van Bommel and Pizzaro will have a better impact in the middle than Deschamps or Thon. Veron also would struggle to make an impact with Silva ahead of him. I predict you'll see Nedved playing on the inside quite a lot supporting Veron and it just becomes a congested place, which favours Iso's midfield superiority.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes, but it isn't actually a diamond in the sense you imply. It's a custom 4-1-3-2 of sorts, with decidedly offensive fullbacks.

Now, you may reasonably argue that given your own set-up (your right flank, in short), Pizarro would have to chip in with some work he isn't ideally suited for, but that's different from portraying him as a poor fit - which I feel you're doing here. And the latter simply isn't fair: He has a role to play in the build-up, primarily, and he clearly isn't meant to operate as anything like a Mendieta or a Gattuso.

The problem is your wide men doubling up on the not-so-solid (defensively) Ze Roberto - which would require someone (and quite plausibly Pizzaro, depending on the circumstances) to put up some extra defensive resistance, as you put it. But that isn't a structural problem - it's a possible flaw that can be exploited if you manage to force your opponent off balance. Generally, when you're on the ball he's got five men at the back - plus the grafting and tactically clever v. Bommel. That's the overall context Pizzaro appears in - not in some sort of Gattuso capacity which requires him to play a prominent grafting/defensive part all the time.
For sure. Iso has a strong central defensive/midfield set-up: any midfield with Silva and Van Bommel in it will undertake a reasonable share of defensive duties. Obviously what would be helpful to know is what happens when Reuter gets the ball. Does he just run forward until he meets Ze Roberto, then either takes him on or plays a one-two with Michel and gets to the bye-line? Or does Pizarro shuttle across? Or is it someone else?

Equally I get Pizarro and Valeron's role, but is there a risk in a four-man midfield that only two are offering significant defensive contributions? I'm not saying that Pizarro won't contribute, he will, but it looks like he has quite a lot of work on his hands to make the team appear solid off the ball. I also say that in the context of the significant defensive contributions we'll get from Nedved and Michel, while even Veron was quite the box-to-box merchant - relative to Valeron at least - for Parma, Lazio and Argentina. Never the mad presser, but he certainly got up and down with that rangy frame of his.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Obviously what would be helpful to know is what happens when Reuter gets the ball. Does he just run forward until he meets Ze Roberto, then either takes him on or plays a one-two with Michel and gets to the bye-line? Or does Pizarro shuttle across? Or is it someone else?
That's a very valid question. I don't want to answer it, though - 'cause that's Isotope's job!

For what it's worth, this is the type of thing which should happen more often in the match threads: Specific problems raised - which the managers need to address.