La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd Gio vs Isotope

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
For sure. Iso has a strong central defensive/midfield set-up: any midfield with Silva and Van Bommel in it will undertake a reasonable share of defensive duties. Obviously what would be helpful to know is what happens when Reuter gets the ball. Does he just run forward until he meets Ze Roberto, then either takes him on or plays a one-two with Michel and gets to the bye-line? Or does Pizarro shuttle across? Or is it someone else?

Equally I get Pizarro and Valeron's role, but is there a risk in a four-man midfield that only two are offering significant defensive contributions? I'm not saying that Pizarro won't contribute, he will, but it looks like he has quite a lot of work on his hands to make the team appear solid off the ball. I also say that in the context of the significant defensive contributions we'll get from Nedved and Michel, while even Veron was quite the box-to-box merchant - relative to Valeron at least - for Parma, Lazio and Argentina. Never the mad presser, but he certainly got up and down with that rangy frame of his.
This is probably the key zone in this game. I can see Mauro Silva pushing up to midfield to help out as you are playing with only one CF in Careca, so the midfield battle should be pretty even.

However Michel/Reuter vs Ze Roberto is advantage in your favor while Isotope has advantage in his CF pair against your CB's which will require Deschamps to anchor a lot of the time.

So all in all the two key battles are Reuter/Michel on the right for Gio and Weah/Signori vs Gio's CB. Whoever has better game should take this match.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Obviously what would be helpful to know is what happens when Reuter gets the ball. Does he just run forward until he meets Ze Roberto, then either takes him on or plays a one-two with Michel and gets to the bye-line? Or does Pizarro shuttle across? Or is it someone else?
Since he's in your team, you should be able to explain what his instructions are? :angel:

It's not as simplistic as you make it here. Where is Michel? Is he moving inside with Reuter to overlap outside?
The formation allows for Ze Roberto to tackle whoever has the ball on wide areas aggressively, knowing he has an extra defender behind him. Pizzaro having operated as a DM too would need no support to provide the requisite protection.

You still need Careca to score. He's your best bet here. Yes you can have Reuter crossing away hoping for Careca to sneak in a header, but Sanchis and Hummels are more than up to the task here. Your team lacks a bit in goalscoring department imho.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So all in all the two key battles are Reuter/Michel on the right for Gio and Weah/Signori vs Gio's CB. Whoever has better game should take this match.
Quite agree.

The difference is that even with Reuter/Michel, he still needs Careca to score. Michel is a decent goal scorer, but if he becomes the main threat, then it's quite an watered down attack imo. On the flip side, Iso's centralized setup should aid Weah/Signori much more.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You still need Careca to score. He's your best bet here. Yes you can have Reuter crossing away hoping for Careca to sneak in a header, but Sanchis and Hummels are more than up to the task here. Your team lacks a bit in goalscoring department imho.
Plenty of impressive headers in this lot:

Not the only tool in his box of course. The important thing is if there is any overload, such as Reuter in this instance, then Careca is a great link-up and foil to either get on the end of things or create for the cavalry.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
With Careca you have to factor in the infamous stingy nature of the Serie A in relevant years (the usual caveat). His goals per game ratio before the move to Italy (and bear in mind that he remained at Napoli for several seasons beyond his prime too) might be a better reflection of what threat he poses in terms of grabbing a goal here.

Both Nedved and Michel are clearly capable of scoring here - much more so than Valeron, or any other non-striker Isotope sports. One could also add that Weah isn't your typical goal grabbing striker either - and so the picture becomes less clear. Goal threat wise, I'd say it's close enough. 'Tope may have an edge there, but it isn't a very big one.

Enigma_87

You know who
Quite agree.

The difference is that even with Reuter/Michel, he still needs Careca to score. Michel is a decent goal scorer, but if he becomes the main threat, then it's quite an watered down attack imo. On the flip side, Iso's centralized setup should aid Weah/Signori much more.
I agree.

Most teams have saturated the central part and most of the battles would be there. That's why I feel having 2 central forwards would be better in this draft as you'll have more bodies in the box or around it. Someone has to score the goals and win the game. Not saying Careca won't, mind, but having an extra man up field would be better imo.

VivaJanuzaj

In order to spice up some action I'll explain my vote to Isotope.

Gio has a brilliant and very well built team, but with his attacking full backs I see it hard for him to deal with Isotope's counter attacks with that front 3, and I'm not sure his CBs are up for it. I think he could do well with instructing Reuter to be a little more disciplined

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Isotope takes this one comfortably for me, Weah and Signori together is brilliant - both 90s Serie A royalty.

Feck knows how he's losing - though I do know just as well as anyone how well gio can argue his points.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lack of discussion of the influence of Hummels on the build up of attack. On his peak, I dare to say that he's the best ball playing CB from 2010 onward. Gio has one freaking gif about one of his CB attacking (while playing in 3 or 5 man defence).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In order to spice up some action I'll explain my vote to Isotope.

Gio has a brilliant and very well built team, but with his attacking full backs I see it hard for him to deal with Isotope's counter attacks with that front 3, and I'm not sure his CBs are up for it. I think he could do well with instructing Reuter to be a little more disciplined
I think with some justification that we have the strongest pair of centre-backs on the park.

Not a lot between Puyol and Sanchis: both were talismanic one-club men who cleaned up domestically. The difference is that Puyol was recognised for his club performances at a European level, with a total of 11 ESM and UEFA Team of the Season placings. He also has 100 caps for the national team, whereas Sanchis has less than half (48). Sanchis played his last game for Spain at the age of 26, whereas Puyol was scooping up back-to-back European Championships and a World Cup in his 30s.

I've already provided various sources to show just how good Bratseth was in a back four, a back three, as a conventional stopper, sweeper or libero. Whatever the ask his record is impressive. I'd wager his reputation in the Bundesliga is at least a notch above Hummels who excelled early on, but has become increasingly error-prone in recent years. He's still good obviously, but perhaps hasn't fulfilled his potential to the extent might have been hoped for a few seasons ago.

For what it's worth, here is Kicker's assessment of the two players' careers in the Bundesliga:

RUNE BRATSETH
World class: 3 times
International class: 7 times
Broad circle: 5 times

Mats HUMMELS
World class: 1 time
International class: 6 times
Broad circle: 4 times

So I think we've got an advantage in the player-for-player comparisons there. Bratseth also has previous in shutting out George Weah in a major European final, a 2-0 win for his Werder Bremen side against Monaco in 1992.

VivaJanuzaj

I think with some justification that we have the strongest pair of centre-backs on the park.
Unquestionable. But they're facing an harder challenge.

So I think we've got an advantage in the player-for-player comparisons there. Bratseth also has previous in shutting out George Weah in a major European final, a 2-0 win for his Werder Bremen side against Monaco in 1992.

:nono: Not the Weah that's on the pitch. And I don't take much into player vs player comparisons and more into attack vs defence and defence vs attack

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Unquestionable. But they're facing an harder challenge.

:nono: Not the Weah that's on the pitch. And I don't take much into player vs player comparisons and more into attack vs defence and defence vs attack
True - that Weah was 25 and scored the most league goals of his career that season. :smirk:

Obviously don't take it as gospel as if it must happen again. But it's a decent barometer if the recognition that Bratseth got in his career isn't fully appreciated.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
True - that Weah was 25 and scored the most league goals of his career that season. :smirk:

Obviously don't take it as gospel as if it must happen again. But it's a decent barometer if the recognition that Bratseth got in his career isn't fully appreciated.
To be fair Viva is correct that it's not peak Weah though - it was 1995 and 1996 that he was winning the Ballon d'Or and World Player of the Year.

For what it's worth I don't agree that Isotope is overly reliant on Valeron to create opportunities - Weah was an excellent dribbler and pretty much as complete a striker as it comes in this draft. He's more than capable of carving out chances on his own.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hell of a team you assembled there @Isotope, a tough draw for both of us.
Yours and Aldo/Stain are the fave so far.

Still can't believe you were able to pick Nedved, when Ibra and Neymar were taken first. Tits..
Also, albeit he's out of position here (for 'aesthetic' purpose), i can see Veron's actual position, and picking him is actually a masterstroke on your part.