La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - QF Joga Bonito/Balu vs Sjor Bepo/anant

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marty1968

Please remember that players should only be judged by their performances in their assigned leagues for this draft (not career peak)

vs

Team Joga/Balu........................................................................vs....................................................Team Sjor/anant

Marty1968

Team Joga Bonito/Balu Tactics

OVERVIEW

A transition into a 3-5-2, with the steely Buchwald and the marauding Roberto Carlos facilitating the switch effortlessly. Tactically the side boasts a water-tight unit at the back, two swashbuckling wing-backs running the flanks, a resolute yet gifted midfield duo, the ideal creative link-man in Häßler and of course a fearsome forward duo.

THE REAR GUARD

Eike Immel broke through as a 17 year old in Dortmund and instantly became a success in goal. Having made his international debut at just 19 years old (a record at that time), he went on to be a part of the 1980 Euro winning German vintage as back up to Schumacher. After 8 solid years for Dortmund, he then transferred to Stuttgart for a record transfer for a goalie - where he went on to win the Bundesliga in 1992 and made the UEFA final in addition to starting in goal for Germany in Euro 1988.

A bulwark consisting of three rock solid defensive powerhouses who guard the defensive zone. Not much needs to be said about their defensive prowess - each of them where renowned man-markers who've quite the assortment of forwards' scalps (Rummenigge & Maradona for eg). However, it is their all-round defensive game and tactical malleability which truly makes them a devastating package.

An all-time great, Giuseppe Bergomi has excelled playing as a centre back and as a full back and has fulfilled various defensive roles (defensive sweeper/stopper/man-marker) whilst oscillating between a back 4 and a back 5. An exceptional defender, the moustachioed hardman certainly knew a thing or two about about shutting down the opposition, and holding the fort like few others. Having excelled as a side centre-back, man-marker and as a stopper, Riccardo Ferri also shone in the demanding roaming defensive (ala Gentile) role to perfection for club and country, emphasising his defensive versatility. He was an excellent all-round defender who was a mainstay in Inter's defense and kept the likes of Vierchowod and Ferrara out of the Italian side. Guido Buchwald further takes it up a notch in the versatility stakes, having excelled in midfield, in addition to his sterling work in defense in several roles, esp as an impeccable man-marker. He has won the World Cup and 2 Bundesligas to boot, scoring the deciding goal on the final day of the season to nab the Bundesliga.

Their wide-ranging defensive skill-set sets them perfectly to make the ideal impact in this match-up. Buchwald has it in his defensive arsenal to nullify Totti to a desirable extent as a man-marker; whilst the stand-out defender of the draft and his trusted lieutenant patrol the defensive areas, marking Kluivert whilst keeping an eye on the channels for the inside forward cutting inside. Both were truly brilliant at operating in the channels in a back five.

Two marauding wing-backs forged from the Brazilian traditions of joga bonito, both Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves are amongst the greatest attacking wing-backs to have ever graced the pitch. Both were real wrecking balls on their flanks and functioned as de-facto wingers for their sides even.

One of the only two full backs alongside Facchetti to have won the ballon d'Or silver ball and the Fifa World Player of the Year Silver Ball, Roberto Carlos's impact as an attacking wing-back was undeniable. Players regularly came and went through the revolving doors of the Bernabeu but R.Carlos was a fixture down the left hand flanks, winning 13 trophies (including 4 la ligas and 3 CLs) and was awarded the UEFA Defender of the Year twice. It was quite the exhilarating and terrorising sight, watching him rapidly eat up grass on the left flank with his powerful rampages. Dani Alves was a real tour de force on the right flank, with his barnstorming runs and sheer creative output - 15 league assists in a single season at his peak for Barca. He simply added a whole new dimension to one of the greatest sides ever with his wingsmanship and quality stream of supply from the right. The second-most decorated footballer in European competitions of all time, behind Maldini, with nine European medals.

ENGINE ROOM

A classy and tenacious midfield pairing of Dunga-Alonso, with the perfect link-man in Häßler being the bridge between midfield and offense. Xabi Alonso was a playmaking metronome atypical of his ilk, possessing the defensive nous, doggedness and the work-rate which enabled him to play as the holding midfielder for Real. His incisive passing expertise and ability to dictate play with his unrivalled vision, made him a potent cocktail on the ball whilst his game off it, helped shore up the defense significantly.

Dunga is the more unflashy and pragmatic half of the duo with his efficient and direct passing game and no-frills defending. Industrious, physical and blessed with an impeccable reading of the game, Dunga always cut an influential and imposing figure at the centre of the pitch. On the ball, there is umpteen reserves of creativity and ball-retaining potential with that midfield duo, whilst defensively it is a well-rounded combo with Dunga's ball-winning ability, industry in fine blend with Alonso's intelligent game which was finely interspersed with physicality.

Thomas Häßler's irrepressible and dynamic game makes him the perfect bridge between offense and defense, in a free role which suits his game to a tee. A sublime playmaker, Häßler was expert at carving out gilt-edged chances with his inch-perfect passing, whilst his zest and trickery meant he was brilliant at carrying the ball from deep and jinxing past players with consummate ease. Be it driving forward from deep or to the flanks, aiding the team defensively with his graft or offensively with his craft, meshing together with his teammates or going on a mazy individual run, Häßler would be right at the heart of proceedings here. With the midfield of Dunga-Alonso to dovetail with and the deadly marksmen up front, it would be hard to put a stop to the pint-sized German genius.

OFFENSE

A lethal forward duo that just screams goals and has just about every finish in its arsenal. Diego Forlanwould be given the freedom to roam around the forward line, esp his favoured left hand channels. With the rampaging Roberto Carlos vying the opposition's right flank attention and Crespo occupying the central areas as the focal point, Forlan has the potential to make a game-winning impact between the lines, with his phenomenal all-round goalscoring threat from just about anywhere. Not only was he a finisher of the highest calibre, his wholesome style of play meant that he could contribute to various aspects of the game - his ceaseless running always giving others options, intelligent movement distracting/occupying opposition defenders and his link-up play making him a delight to play alongside. 2 pichichis and 2 European Golden Shoes, isn't too shabby for someone who played for the unfancied Villareal and Atletico - his average rating, has seen him among Spain's top five for four of the five consecutive seasons, at his glorious peak.

At the culmination of it all, is one Hernan Crespo. With two wing-backs providing him with a plethora of crosses, Forlan being an excellent foil on the ball and the likes of Häßler, Alonso and Dunga providing a steady stream of quality service, Crespo would be licking his lips at his prospects on ending up on the scoresheet. A monstrous and complete goalscoring threat at his Serie A peak, the Argentine was banging in goals for fun against some top notch defenses. A whopping 101 goals in 170 games (including an incredible 39 goals in just 55 for Lazio), the Serie A golden boot and a then world transfer record of £35 million, are testament to his credentials as a lethal goalsmith of immense pedigree.

Tactical Points

1)Buchwald man-marking Totti

Buchwald will stick to Totti here and will look to minimise the Italian's impact. Buchwald has the requisite athleticism, defensive nous and the positioning to carry out his role to perfection, whilst his experience in midfield and defense makes his tailor-made for dealing with Totti who had a tendency to drop deep. Whilst Totti wouldn't be fully shut down, Buchwald will definitely make the Italian's life harder and will take away a sizeable portion of his effectiveness imo. A bulk of Sjor's creativity and goalscoring threat comes from Totti and putting the dampener on him would affect his team significantly.

2)Well-rounded team

A strong midfield core which we reckon should have the edge over Sjor's midfield unit. Whilst there is lots to like about Martinez and Gundogan, we do believe we have the edge there in Alonso and Dunga, with pivotal support from Häßler. It's also key to note that Totti is being man-marked by Buchwald, which does leave our midfield more room and freedom to impose themselves upon the game here.

Defensively our team provides the ideal platform for our wing-backs with two hardworking central midfielders and two brilliant defenders who were at ease on the flanks/channels in Bergomi and Ferri. Make no mistake, Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos would seriously revel in playing in this set-up with the base that has been provided for them.

There is an abundance of offensive width with two sensational wing-backs and of course supplementary width from the likes of Häßler and Forlan in the final third, to stretch play and maintain a fluid shape. All in all, it's a complementary side with some cracking individuals.

Good luck Sjor.

Marty1968

Team Joga Bonito/Balu League Peaks

Serie A

Ricardo Ferri - Serie A 1988/1989
Giuseppe Bergomi - Serie A 1988/1989
Hernan Crespo - 2000/2001 Golden Boot, 3 Serie A s.

Bundesliga

Eike Immel - Kicker's top 5 goalkeeper of the year - 1982, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1993; kicker Bundesliga Team of the Season - 1982, 1986, 1992
Buchwald - 2 Bundesligas
Dunga - Only midfielder to be rated as world class by kicker in Bundesliga for 1994
Thomas Häßler - German Player of the Year - 1989, 1992; Kicker's top 5 midfielder of the year - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1997; Bundesliga Team of the Season - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000

la liga

Roberto Carlos - 4 la ligas; Ballon d'Or siver ball; Fifa World Player of the Year silver ball; UEFA Club defender of the Year - 2002, 2003;
Dani Alves - 5 la ligas; la liga's best defender 2009; UEFA Team of the Year - 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015 etc
Xabi Alonso - 1 la liga; la liga's best midfielder 2012; Spanish Player of the Year 2003;
Diego Forlan - Pichichi - 2005, 2009; European Golden Shoe - 2005, 2009;

Subs
Amedeo Carboni - 2 la ligas
Pablo Aimar - 2 la ligas
Dede - 2 Bundesligas

Marty1968

Team Sjor Bepo/anant Tactics

Tactics

Wont make the mistake like in the last draft when i thought it would be easier to describe my tactics with drawing parallels to the teams that play in similar way. The plan is to play quick, direct counter-attacking football and when i say direct i dont mean hoof it towards Kluivert and win the second ball, its going to counter-attacking football through combination play, short passes and off the ball movement. When defending the team will sit deep, allow the opponent to pass it around in his own half but the second they move over the half line they will face a constant pressure. When attacking its all about Francesco! He has two midfielders who are great on the ball of which one(Gundogan) will support him in attacking moves and he has movement all around with Kluivert up front and two unselfish runners from the wing in Lucho and Mauro.

Defence
In goal we have Angelo Peruzzi that won almost everything he could at club level, the only thing missing is Cup winners cup medal and he probably never played in that competition. Two times in ESM Team of the Year, won Guerin d'Oro(awarded to the player in Serie A with at least 19 games played, which has obtained the best average-media rating.) and was also Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year 3 times.
The right side of defence we have well drilled pair of Atletico defenders that together won Copa del Rey, Europa League and La Liga tittle that is probably the biggest upset in last 10-15 years + in that same season they also played in Champions League final! But enough of achievements, on the right-back position we have Juanfran and next to him is the guy who i rate as the best defender in the world for the last 3, 4 season, Diego Godin. The whole success of that Atletico team is based around the defensive performances and this guy is the glue that holds everything in place. Dominated the league and european competitions with Miranda and now is dominating with the likes of Savic and Gimenez. This season they only conceded 12 goals in LaLiga, 12 goals!
On the left side of defence we have one great and most likely one future great. Partnering Diego Godin will be the big Jaap Stam. With them two in the mix i would almost be comfortable against the MSN trio!
On the left-back position is the best left-back in the world, when he actually plays there! Probably the most complete player in the world right now, can play at fullback, in midfield and even in the middle of defence, David Alaba. He proved himself in Jupp Heynckes counter-attacking machine at the left-back position. They won the treble that year and most importantly for this draft, they won every league campaign since. Currently on 3 in a row with 4 in the bag.....

Midfield
In the engine room we have two guys that made their name in the 2 counter-attacking sides. Gundogan with Jurgen Klopp rock and roll Dortmund side and Javi Martinez like his teammate Alaba with Jupp Heynckes Bayern side that dominated everyone in 13/14 season. Its a very natural partnership that should work perfectly. Javi is a major upgrade on Gundo's Dortmund partner Bender and Gundo will offer everything you need next to a holding midfielder. Energetic box2box player who is so good on the ball that can easily play as a playmaker of the team. Lets not forget how good Gundo was before the injury, every team in Europe wanted him in their squad.
In front of this two we have the genius, King of Rome - Francesco Totti. One of the best players in the draft. Gives our team another dimension, will make everyone beside him better and offers us magic, creativity and goals from midfield. Roma All-time leading scorer and second in history of Serie A. Impressive for someone who played majority of his career as a number 10 - midfielder!

Attack
We dont want Kluivert to be lonely here so we will discuss our wingers here even though they belong to the midfield section.
On the right we have the underrated hero of the great Juventus side, Mauro Camoranesi. A proper workhorse who uses the ball very well, has great movement and is also capable of some great things. Won Guerin d'Oro in 08 which means he had best average-media rating in the league. On the left we have Thomas Muller of the 90s. The great Luis Enrique who could play any offensive position on the pitch and be equally brilliant in every single one. He played in every position the same way, highly intelligent footballer with fantastic movement, great work rate and eye for goal. Had a very good understanding with our number 9 in their Barcelona days.
And up front we have Patrick Kluivert who scored 90 goals in 182 games for Barca and he won the league back in the 98/99 season. If the goal tally is not impressive to you then you should check the numbers back then in LaLiga, strikers didnt score 40 goals per season like they do now. For example Ronaldo was the leading scored in 03/04 with 24 goals while Diego Tristan achieved the same with only 20 goals in 01/02 season. He was a tall player with a very elegant touch and good technical abilities. Kluivert also utilised his height, power, and strong physique to dominate aerial balls and was considered to possess one of the best headers in the contemporary game.

Marty1968

@Rado_N can you make a poll for us as always?

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?
Team Joga Bonito/Balu
Team Sjor Bepo/anant

Cheers Rado!

VivaJanuzaj

I really like the way Sjor/anant are set up, if in the first match Camoranesi didn't seem like enough, for this match he looks perfect with Lucho to track back against R.Carlos & D.Alves bombarding forward.
Joga/Balu dropped Aimar therefore I shall vote against them. Not really, I really like your team altogether, and that 3rd CB will definitely work for the better against Totti.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I really like the way Sjor/anant are set up, if in the first match Camoranesi didn't seem like enough, for this match he looks perfect with Lucho to track back against R.Carlos & D.Alves bombarding forward.
Joga/Balu dropped Aimar therefore I shall vote against them. Not really, I really like your team altogether, and that 3rd CB will definitely work for the better against Totti.
I was just thinking that I hadn't noticed anything in their formation or write up that I disliked, then I read this bombshell :mad:.

Joking, mostly. Buchwald on Totti seems an excellent tactical decision to me. On a side note, deciding when personal faourites have to be dropped has to be one of the shitter aspects about progressing in these things. I hated binning Saha in the last Premier League draft, and I was strangely sad about dropping Kewell too despite him having one of the more punchable faces in PL history.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
On a side note, deciding when personal faourites have to be dropped has to be one of the shitter aspects about progressing in these things.
Yeah, it really hurt dropping Aimar, but there was absolutely no way around it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Interesting. I would say that the most obvious route for joga's goal is a cross from the fullbacks, but sjor's flank players (Camoranesi and Enrique) will be of great help to his fullbacks (who are very good themselves) defensively. On the other hand, the main threat in sjor's team is, obviously, Totti, who is the best player on the pitch and one of the standouts in this draft - but with Buchwald on the man-marking job and the whole overcrowding of the central area joga have a good chance of containing him.

Can see both teams negating each other and this ending as a 0:0 draw.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
On a side note, deciding when personal faourites have to be dropped has to be one of the shitter aspects about progressing in these things
Agreed :(. Not exactly an easy decision by any means as we genuinely loved that triumvirate of Forlan-Aimar-Häßler but yeah.

I was strangely sad about dropping Kewell too despite him having one of the more punchable faces in PL history.
:lol:

VivaJanuzaj

Interesting. I would say that the most obvious route for joga's goal is a cross from the fullbacks, but sjor's flank players (Camoranesi and Enrique) will be of great help to his fullbacks (who are very good themselves) defensively. On the other hand, the main threat in sjor's team is, obviously, Totti, who is the best player on the pitch and one of the standouts in this draft - but with Buchwald on the man-marking job and the whole overcrowding of the central area joga have a good chance of containing him.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. Not enough game changers upfront to break down two very very well built defensive setups.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Largely agree with that take, two cracking defenses against two excellent attacks and two well balanced teams overall. Perfectly understand that rationale behind the 0-0 claims but, we do think we have the edge here in midfield. Arguably the best deep midfield playmaker in the draft in Alonso, an excellent all-round midfielder in Dunga and of course in Häßler a creative genius who was absolutely brilliant in the bundesliga. Not underestimating Martinez-Gundogan by any means though.

With Totti being man-marked by Buchwald, we can see Häßler having a more noticeable impact in this game and we believe we can eek out the edge here with more creativity and an edge in midfield, giving us more to work with in terms of breaking the deadlock. We have plenty of outlets on the ball and great goalscoring threat in that forward duo, to capitalise on that creativity imo. It's going to be a tight game though, like you stated.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, it really hurt dropping Aimar, but there was absolutely no way around it.
Agreed :(. Not exactly an easy decision by any means as we genuinely loved that triumvirate of Forlan-Aimar-Häßler but yeah.
Aye, I agree that it had to be done. I'll wait to see how the debate pans out, but as far as I can see you've set up perfectly here.

harms

Staff
With Totti being man-marked by Buchwald, we can see Häßler having a more noticeable impact in this game and we believe we can eek out the edge here with more creativity and an edge in midfield, giving us more to work with in terms of breaking the deadlock
I agree that Hasler (sorry, I won't even try to type it right) has probably the best chance out of all "secondary" threats to win the game here. But I'm not sure it's enough - it's still early though and I have a lot of time to decide on my vote

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Why not Aimar and Hassler both as AMs behind Crespo?
We did ponder upon that, yes. However, we just felt Forlan's goalscoring edge was just better suited to this game, esp against sjor's excellent defensive unit. Likewise we have no shortage of creativity in the team with two brilliant wing-backs, Häßler, Alonso and even Dunga for good measure. Not that Aimar wouldn't have been brilliant behind Crespo alongside Häßler, but Forlan just seemed like the wee bit better fit for this match-up.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not impressed by Sjor's wings in terms of creativity. Too dependent on Totti for creating something

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Joga Bonito @Balu

In the previous round, I voted for your opponent red tiger because it didn't make sense to have a Forlan on the left wing and Aimar with limited defensive support in the midfield.

Today, you have my vote given your defence and the ability of your outside Brazilian defensive midfielders to support your strikers. However, big reliance on Häßler in terms of creativity and control of the game.

The team of Sjor/anant is well-balanced so let's see the development of the discussion in case I have to change my vote.

Why not Aimar and Hassler both as AMs behind Crespo?
Aimar is not made to defend a lot and used to play with the support of 3 midfielders with a high work rate as a #10 or as a support striker.

Champions league final in 2001

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Forlan is unquestionably the better choice, it won't make sense to create the team around your fullbacks and then to fill the central zone with midgets

VivaJanuzaj

Not impressed by Sjor's wings in terms of creativity. Too dependent on Totti for creating something
But it works both ways. The fact that they aren't too creative also means they are very solid in the back and won't let Alves/Carlos too much joy, which is a major outlet for JogaBalu

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The fact that they aren't too creative also means they are very solid in the back and won't let Alves/Carlos too much joy, which is a major outlet for JogaBalu
There's no denying their solidity at the back (and ours too for that matter), and how it's an even match but at the end of the day, you'd back the team with more creativity (without compromising on functionality or complementarity) and the requisite fire power to go with it, to tip the scales ever so slightly.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wow, has to be said - those are two excellent defensive units. Really hard to ponder on who will score.

I really like Juanfran and has Godin next to him and especially Stam who is IMO one of the best in the draft. On the other side there is the best in the draft in Bergomi, paired with Carlos/Alves.

Really tough choice this one. Will ponder on this one a bit.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm still not a fan of Joga's central midfield pairing which I don't think is particularly complimentary.

Totti is clearly a massive upgrade for Sjor but his team is still a but workman-like for me and I can't see either side scoring freely. I agree with the comment about that this would probably be a low scoring game.

Did Ferri play as a left centre back in a back three? I'm not particularly familiar with him as a player.

Moby

Dick
I actually like someone finally doing that in a team with Totti, he's always been THE man, and if the whole game goes entirely through him knowing that others won't interfere or hog the ball, he can simply turn the game around.

Precisely his entire career.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Certainly not one to simply assume that a player is out of the equation once you slap a marker on him – but I think it's evident that Buchwald will be a pain in the arse for Totti here. This, in its turn, will influence the match almost unduly, because Totti is a bit too important given the overall set-up.

With him shackled to some degree, the central trio looks a bit underwhelming. Alonso-Dunga-Häßler on the other hand is a brilliant combo for my money.

It's the middle of the park, really – that's what tips it.

harms

Staff
Voted for Joga - his team is more likely to score a lucky goal here, which is all that would be required here, given the incredible solidness in the back of both sides

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Did Ferri play as a left centre back in a back three? I'm not particularly familiar with him as a player.
Inter usually played in the early 90's with Ferri left centerback next to Brehme and then Battistini, Bergomi. It wasn't too different for Italy at the Euro in 88 and at the World Cup in 90 with Bergomi - Baresi - Ferri as the three centerbacks and Maldini in a more attacking leftback role (although of course not as attacking as Brehme at Inter). Both teams switched between a zona mista-ish system with 3 centerbacks and one attacking fullback and a true back five, but Ferri usually played the left centerback role.

For example:

that's from an Austrian football blog, that analysed the Inter vs Rapid Vienna game.
http://www.abseits.at/fusball-inter...nter-mailand-niederkampfte-die-taktikanalyse/

harms

Staff
Inter usually played in the early 90's with Ferri left centerback next to Brehme and then Battistini, Bergomi. It wasn't too different for Italy at the Euro in 88 and at the World Cup in 90 with Bergomi - Baresi - Ferri as the three centerbacks and Maldini in a more attacking leftback role (although of course not as attacking as Brehme at Inter). Both teams switched between a zona mista-ish system with 3 centerbacks and one attacking fullback and a true back five, but Ferri usually played the left centerback role.

For example:
Did you draw it yourself? I certainly hope so!

edit: edit :(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's not that easy to find formations of the UEFA Cup finals or even Euro or World Cup semifinals. Wiki is a massive letdown compared to European Cup/Champions league finals in that regard. Then I wanted to post the link to kicker's world cup 1990 semifinal line-up:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...ische-austellung_italien-924_argentinien.html

But that's nowhere near as pretty as the one above. Glad I found that one.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
that's from an Austrian football blog, that analysed the Inter vs Rapid Vienna game.
http://www.abseits.at/fusball-inter...nter-mailand-niederkampfte-die-taktikanalyse/
That's a great source.

Based on that image his Inter role seems similar to the one above. I watched Italia 90 and I found it hard to track any of the defenders positions, Bergomi in particular was moving everywhere in the defence and did not seem to have a rigid role. Ferri didn't stand out as much so I didnt notice whether he was playing more in one position.

Edit - as an example they have Ferri and Bergomi both on the right side of the defence here.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/.../taktische-austellung_italien-924_irland.html

And here they have Bergomi on the left and Ferri on the right.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...-austellung_italien-924_tschechoslowakei.html

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Based on that image his Inter role seems similar to the one above. I watched Italia 90 and I found it hard to track any of the defenders positions, Bergomi in particular was moving everywhere in the defence and did not seem to have a rigid role. Ferri didn't stand out as much so I didnt notice whether he was playing more in one position.
Yeah, Bergomi was often on man-marking duty for Italy and had pretty much a free role in defense, so the positions weren't as clear cut as you'll see it in modern football. Zonal marking really makes it a lot easier to spot which defender plays what role.