La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga Draft

Marty1968

I'm on holiday from the end of Friday but not a problem. Someone else can get the final set up if its after then. :)

Congrats you guys @Gio @Enigma_87 @Snow for getting to the final!!

Enigma_87

You know who
Sure Could do an early start on Tuesday, not around much in the afternoon or on Wednesday.
sure mate, whatever is best for you works fine both days, I'll prepare the write up for early kick off.

I'm on holiday from the end of Friday but not a problem. Someone else can get the final set up if its after then. :)

Congrats you guys @Gio @Enigma_87 @Snow for getting to the final!!
Great draft mate, no easy games and seen by the scores quite enjoyable ones. Well done throughout.

Enigma_87

You know who
anyhow our last pick of the draft:

Finalists:

Gio
- 1. Nedved 2. Veron 3. Reuter 4. Deschamps 5. Puyol 6. Bratseth 7. Careca 8. Michel 9. Thon 10. Sergi 11. Chilavert 12. Yeboah 13. Ibrahimovic 14. Ballack 15. Littbarski 16. Abidal
Enigma_87/Snow - 1. Kaka 2. Villa 3. Lucio 4. Modric 5. Schneider 6. Marcelo 7. Helmer 8. Salgado 9. Conte 10. Vialli 11. van der Sar 12. Luis Gustavo 13. Cafu 14. Shevchenko 15. Davids 16. Alaba 17. Hierro

Available pool:

KM /Cal? - 4. Albertini 5. Boban 6. Filipe Luis 7. Griezmann 8. Senna 9. Piszczek 10. Courtois 11. Bonucci 12. Aubameyang
Downcast/KirkDuyt - 2. Yaya Touré 3. Falcao 4. Di Maria 5. Maicon 6. Özil 7. Heinrich 8. Vieira 9. Stankovic 10. Materrazzi 11. Júlio César da Silva 12. Stegen
Crappycraperson - 4. Kroos 5. Popescu 6. Jorginho 7. Jeremies 8. Grosso 9. Gamarra 10. Canizares 11. Ivan Cordoba 12. Kuffour
mazhar13/Boycott - 2. Aldair 3. Donadoni 5. Cocu 6. Pique 7. Chendo 8. Kahn 9. Serginho 10. Uwe Bein 11. Wynton Rufer 12. Emerson
RedTiger - 2. Zambrotta 3 Ayala 4. Vidal 5. Aguero 6. Paulo Sousa 7. Panucci 8. Francescoli 9. Wörns 10. Butt 11. Mijatovic 12. Sensini
Isotope - 2. Weah 3. Ze Roberto 4. Mauro Silva 5. Hummels 6. Signori 7. Sanchis 8. van Bommel 9. Illgner 10. Valeron 11. David Pizarro 12. Suker
Tuppet - 3. Völler 5. Riquelme 6. B. Laudrup 7. Nadal 8. De Rossi 9. Balakov 10. Zubizarreta 11. Caniggia 12. Eilts
Edgar Allan Pillow - 3. C Vieri 4. J Boateng 5. D Simeone 6. E Cambiasso 7. Deco 8. F de Boer 9. A Kopke 10. F Inzaghi 11. I Helguera 12. A Di Livio
VivaJanuzaj/MJJ - 2. Eto'o 3. Guardiola 4. T. Silva 5. Samuel 7. Sneijder 8. Khedira 9. Robinho 10. Klos 11. Carvajal 12. Cassano 13. Savicevic 14. Sagnol
Aldo/The Stain - 3. Mendieta 4. Montero 5. Makaay 6. Henry 7. Mascherano 8. Angloma 9. Candela 10. Linke 11. Aumann 12. Zola 13. Reus 14. Ferrara
Marty1968 - 1. Seedorf 2. Costacurta 3. Berthold 4. Gattuso 5. Scholl 6. Benarrivo 7.Babbel 8. Butragueño 9. Zamorano 10. Lehmann 11. McManaman 12. Mihajlović 13. Neymar 14. Cristiano Jr.
Sjor Bepo/anant - 1. Stam 3. Camoranesi 4. Godin 5. Gündoğan 6. Kluivert 7. Javi Martinez 8. Gascoigne 9. Futre 10. Juanfran 11. Peruzzi 12. Rosicky 13. Totti 14.
Joga Bonito/Balu - 1. Bergomi 2. Xabi Alonso 3. Dani Alves 4. Häßler 5. Forlán 6. Ferri 7. Dunga 8. Aimar 9. Crespo 10. Carboni 11. Eike Immel 12. Dedê 13. Roberto Carlos 14. Buchwald 15. Muller
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard - 2. Ruggeri 3.Klinsmann 4. Bebeto 5. Möller 6. Chiellini 7. Baraja 8. Ziege 9. Pogba 10. Zenga 11. Basler 12. Mannini 13. Lizarazu 14. Zanetti 15. Luis Enrique

@Gio

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
That looks like a good pick.

I thought you would pick Roberto Carlos and play a back three with him and Cafu as wingbacks.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It was obvious - he needed a defensive La Liga pick to field Alaba instead of Marcelo and Hierro, who is capable of replacing either Helmer or Gustavo was the best player left from that La Liga pool.

Enigma_87

You know who
yeah harms pretty much nailed it.

I think I know who gio will pick as well, but lets see.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It was obvious - he needed a defensive La Liga pick to field Alaba instead of Marcelo and Hierro, who is capable of replacing either Helmer or Gustavo was the best player left from that La Liga pool.
You could still pick Roberto Carlos from La Liga and replace Marcelo that way. That's what I would have done personally, then played Alaba as a left centre back in a back three.

Davids played his best club football in a 3-5-2 and I don't think Gustavo is needed in that sense.

Enigma_87

You know who
You could still pick Roberto Carlos from La Liga and replace Marcelo that way. That's what I would have done personally, then played Alaba as a left centre back in a back three.

Davids played his best club football in a 3-5-2 and I don't think Gustavo is needed in that sense.
That was another option, but Hierro also allows 3-5-2 and IMO Alaba will get killed probably for fielding him there I suppose. :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I guess you can but I don't think that his CB personnel is good for 3 in the back. And they are facing a team with 1 striker in the final, 3 centre backs would be overkill, while now he can try and grab an advantage in a different area.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I guess you can but I don't think that his CB personnel is good for 3 in the back. And they are facing a team with 1 striker in the final, 3 centre backs would be overkill, while now he can try and grab an advantage in a different area.
I think Alaba is a very good fit there, probably Lucio as well with the freedom of a central role, but I agree that Helmer looks like an issue. Not that I know much about Helmer as I can't recall watching him play.

I also agree that three centre backs against Ibrahimovic could be perceived as overkill. Although saying that it depends how you play the system, the way Guardiola has played three at the back for instance isn't defensive and in that sense the formation could just be an avenue for Cafu and Roberto Carlos to push higher up the park and play more offensively - a good thing given the lack of width elsewhere.

I think both approaches are good and I would have only chosen this one out of preference more than anything else, as I like the idea of Cafu and Roberto Carlos pushing forward together in the same side.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cracking pick by @enigma. I voted against him on the last round because of 'weak' defensive unit. With Hierro, now his defence and midfield look very solid.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Hehe i didn't quite get there when i said he should get a La Liga midfielder when he picked Abidal. I suppose he could have picked Godin and ended up picking Lizarazu/Roberto Carlos this reinforcement but still looking good.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hehe i didn't quite get there when i said he should get a La Liga midfielder when he picked Abidal. I suppose he could have picked Godin and ended up picking Lizarazu/Roberto Carlos this reinforcement but still looking good.
I suppose the sensible way to do it would have been Littbarski/Godin and then Carlos for the final. Then again would Sergi have been solid enough to deal with Muller against Joga and Balu? Possibly not.

The Stain

What was that about then? I thought you predicted Gio's pick
When he picked Litti and then Abidal. For his second pick i thought he'd go for a La Liga mid rather than Abidal, could have gone for Godin for ex. He had to rest Litti in the semi.

The Stain

I suppose the sensible way to do it would have been Littbarski/Godin and then Carlos for the final. Then again would Sergi have been solid enough to deal with Muller against Joga and Balu? Possibly not.
Worked out in the end :)

Enigma_87

You know who
yeah, give 1 vote difference I think that was the smartest one.

For this round I had you on Ruggeri, Ayala, Godin and possibly Kahn as potential options, due to the league restrictions.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Soundo, I'm not sure if Marty's around so if anyone else wants to kick it off today let us know.