g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

La Liga sign 15-year deal to have games played in the US

Cal?

CR7 fan
Cant agree, why would big clubs want to lose more often, it makes absolutely no footballing sense. Financially maybe but even then its a risk, it would absolutely ruin the game.
They could also charge a lot more in terms of ticket prices AND TV money, could even pave the way for pay-per-view football matches over something like Netflix.

Imagine the biggest games Europe has to offer played Sat and Sun afternoon in prime time for Asia.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If they want to implement this foreign game idea properly, they should just reduce the league to 16 teams and go a full 3 rounds of games, 15 at home, 15 away and 15 at "neutral venues" abroad.
Much worse idea than the already ridiculous one being proposed. Maybe the greedy morons in charge should just accept that Spanish league matches should only be played in Spain.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They could also charge a lot more in terms of ticket prices AND TV money, could even pave the way for pay-per-view football matches over something like Netflix.

Imagine the biggest games Europe has to offer played Sat and Sun afternoon in prime time for Asia.
Sounds terrible to me, and would have nothing to do with it. What would happen to the FA and League cup? There would be absolutely nothing left but money.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Much worse idea than the already ridiculous one being proposed. Maybe the greedy morons in charge should just accept that Spanish league matches should only be played in Spain.
How? It protects the integrity of the competition whilst offering plenty of games abroad for the money.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sounds terrible to me, and would have nothing to do with it. What would happen to the FA and League cup? There would be absolutely nothing left but money.
The biggest clubs give very little shit about the cups anyway and it'll only get worse and worse. Football is entering a phase where it needs to be restructured to maximize its money making potential.

The way to do that is to create more attractive fixtures without increasing the strain on the players.

Hence, Barca and Real will definitely rather play United, Juve, Bayern and co much more often than to play Leganes, Levante & co.

I get that a lot of fans won't like it, but there is currently enough demand for the product that there will be others to take their place.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The biggest clubs give very little shit about the cups anyway and it'll only get worse and worse. Football is entering a phase where it needs to be restructured to maximize its money making potential.

The way to do that is to create more attractive fixtures without increasing the strain on the players.

Hence, Barca and Real will definitely rather play United, Juve, Bayern and co much more often than to play Leganes, Levante & co.

I get that a lot of fans won't like it, but there is currently enough demand for the product that there will be others to take their place.
I would say the demand comes from foreign countries that don't really get football as a sport or the tradition and history involved or the link a club has with the area which it comes from. I would say most grass root fans and season ticket holders wouldn't be on board with the idea. Plus you have say 5 leagues with 5 titles to be won, along with 1 or 2 other domestic league honors to be one and cutting it down to 1 piece of silverware?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I would say the demand comes from foreign countries that don't really get football as a sport or the tradition and history involved or the link a club has with the area which it comes from. I would say most grass root fans and season ticket holders wouldn't be on board with the idea. Plus you have say 5 leagues with 5 titles to be won, along with 1 or 2 other domestic league honors to be one and cutting it down to 1 piece of silverware?
Exactly, the European Super League, with 3 rounds of games, home, away and outside Europe. Cities in US, China, Japan, ME will pay huge premiums to bring competitive games there.

Anyway, not really the thread for this discussion, but personally I think it'll happen eventually.

You can restructure the leagues to include fewer teams and replace the CL with the ESL.

18 team league = 34 games.
12 team ESL = 33 games

More than doable - perhaps can even have a few play off games at the end.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Exactly, the European Super League, with 3 rounds of games, home, away and outside Europe. Cities in US, China, Japan, ME will pay huge premiums to bring competitive games there.

Anyway, not really the thread for this discussion, but personally I think it'll happen eventually.

You can restructure the leagues to include fewer teams and replace the CL with the ESL.

18 team league = 34 games.
12 team ESL = 33 games

More than doable - perhaps can even have a few play off games at the end.
You are in America? I don't think it will ever happen, and if it does the teams in it will die. You are asking season ticket holders, the clubs bread and butter to travel to Asia and America to see the games? How do you think those fans would feel about that? I also think you are overestimating how fans view an FA Cup. Start a thread on the subject and I think you will see what the response will be.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You are in America? I don't think it will ever happen, and if it does the teams in it will die. You are asking season ticket holders, the clubs bread and butter to travel to Asia and America to see the games? How do you think those fans would feel about that? I also think you are overestimating how fans view an FA Cup. Start a thread on the subject and I think you will see what the response will be.
Who's asking the fans to travel to these games abroad? :confused:

People in England often go to away games, but that's not the case in Spain or Germany. The games abroad are there to cater to the locals who are willing to pay many times the ticket price they are in Europe.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

People in England often go to away games, but that's not the case in Spain or Germany. The games abroad are there to cater to the locals who are willing to pay many times the ticket price they are in Europe.

Most die hard season ticket holders want to see every competitive game, they wont be able to. Its going back to what I was saying about foreign fans not really having a grip of what supporting their team means and how some fans feel.

AlwaysRed66

If they kick those 3 out, the European Super League will be established before the day is over.

Also the remaining clubs will be lucky to get a fraction of their current TV money.
No it wont. There is no way the Super League would be set up without the English clubs, & they won't join, as have too much to lose. Be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Most die hard season ticket holders want to see every competitive game, they wont be able to. Its going back to what I was saying about foreign fans not really having a grip of what supporting their team means and how some fans feel.
People who can afford to follow (both in terms of time and money) their teams to Turkey, Ukraine or other far reaches of Europe can probably follow the teams to Shanghai, Tokyo, LA or whatever.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No it wont. There is no way the Super League would be set up without the English clubs, & they won't join, as have too much to lose. Be like turkeys voting for Christmas.
If Barca and Real somehow got "kicked out" of La Liga (as far fetched as that is), they'll surely look to establish a ESL which will pay very well, once they get Juve, Bayern & co on board, the big English clubs will bite.

Minimalist

I hope Trump does the kick off of the next classico with a bald eagle on his shoulder with this tune blasting from the speakers.

:lol:

---

Good to see the players having their say though. Loads of balls really - especially if it's a couple of small teams from La Liga playing a match (who will give a fcuk?)

AlwaysRed66

If Barca and Real somehow got "kicked out" of La Liga (as far fetched as that is), they'll surely look to establish a ESL which will pay very well, once they get Juve, Bayern & co on board, the big English clubs will bite.
I don't think you realise how much the English clubs income comes from their television deals. There is no way they would risk it, & if they did what would be the repercussions. Presumably even the Super League would have some form of relegation, as would be soon stale with the same sides in it year after year. Now, this might not be so much a problem from the Spanish duo, Bayern, Italian clubs, & PSG, but there is no way the English sides would be welcome backed with open arms that's for sure. Say for instance Man City, Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool join & then one of them is relegated & replaced say by Spurs( due to the money) the Premiership & football league will hardly say welcome back lads, but tell them to rejoin the pyramid down say level 10. Love to see that, as long as it isn't us.

Unlike other major leagues, the English ones are riddled with clubs that were once big & have faded away. The championship is full of them. We even have two previous winners of the European cup amongst them. As big as the current top 5-6 are they could easily be replaced.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
People who can afford to follow (both in terms of time and money) their teams to Turkey, Ukraine or other far reaches of Europe can probably follow the teams to Shanghai, Tokyo, LA or whatever.
On a regular basis, are you being serious? A flight from London to New York is £400 - £500 return, you can get a flight from London to anywhere else in Europe for a fraction of the price and minus the jetlag. I get you want to see competitive top flight European teams in America but you wont get it.

Why on earth would they get kicked out of La Liga?

Last edited:

stu_1992

Horrible horrible idea. I'm not even a watcher or fan of La Liga and this makes me feel disillusioned at football so I can only imagine what followers of their teams feel like. Hope this gets turned around.

VP

@Cal? really is the manifestation of all that's evil in football: a rabid Ronaldo Fanboy that wants to kill domestic football.

Cal?

CR7 fan
On a regular basis, are you being serious? A flight from London to New York is £400 - £500 return, you can get a flight from London to anywhere else in Europe for a fraction of the price and minus the jetlag. I get you want to see competitive top flight European teams in America but you wont get it.

Why on earth would they get kicked out of La Liga?
It all stemmed from this ridiculous suggestion

I have a better idea. Why don't they kick Atletico, Real, & Barcelona out, & let them go and move over to the US.
That's why I've been saying it's a stupid hypothetical discussion.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think you realise how much the English clubs income comes from their television deals. There is no way they would risk it, & if they did what would be the repercussions. Presumably even the Super League would have some form of relegation, as would be soon stale with the same sides in it year after year. Now, this might not be so much a problem from the Spanish duo, Bayern, Italian clubs, & PSG, but there is no way the English sides would be welcome backed with open arms that's for sure. Say for instance Man City, Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool join & then one of them is relegated & replaced say by Spurs( due to the money) the Premiership & football league will hardly say welcome back lads, but tell them to rejoin the pyramid down say level 10. Love to see that, as long as it isn't us.

Unlike other major leagues, the English ones are riddled with clubs that were once big & have faded away. The championship is full of them. We even have two previous winners of the European cup amongst them. As big as the current top 5-6 are they could easily be replaced.
Good luck the PL signing a TV deal even at a fraction of the current price if those clubs pulled out.

Anyway, pointless discussion, let's just leave it at that.

Most of you think it's a terrible idea, I'm not even sure if I like it (I don't hate it). I merely believe it'll happen eventually.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What’s preposterous is that La Liga is trying to increase their popularity in the US by going to the extreme, and frankly ridiculous, measure of playing a league game here. Simultaneously weakening the integrity of their brand. Yet, it’s really fecking difficult to even watch the games on TV here.

While you can watch every Premier League game on NBC and sister channels. La Liga is on fringe broadcaster Bein, with their quirky (and awful) commentary team, and low grade presentation.

What’s even more laughable about this is that Bein is only broadcast into 25% of homes in this country, and major cable providers like Comcast don’t even carry it in HD. As of three weeks ago both Comcast and Verizon dropped Bein due to a contract dispute. So now, unless you have directv, you can only watch them online.

They should focus on getting a grown up TV deal on a proper network, before they start doing bullshit like this. fecking amateurs.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What’s preposterous is that La Liga is trying to increase their popularity in the US by going to the extreme, and frankly ridiculous, measure of playing a league game here. Simultaneously weakening the integrity of their brand. Yet, it’s really fecking difficult to even watch the games on TV here.

While you can watch every Premier League game on NBC and sister channels. La Liga is on fringe broadcaster Bein, with their quirky (and awful) commentary team, and low grade presentation.

What’s even more laughable about this is that Bein is only broadcast into 25% of homes in this country, and major cable providers like Comcast don’t even carry it in HD. As of three weeks ago both Comcast and Verizon dropped Bein due to a contract dispute. So now, unless you have directv, you can only watch them online.

They should focus on getting a grown up TV deal on a proper network, before they start doing bullshit like this. fecking amateurs.
I could see La Liga running back to ESPN like Serie A did next TV deal.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I could see La Liga running back to ESPN like Serie A did next TV deal.
I honestly hope they do. Comcast is the best option in my area, and I would love to watch La Liga weekly. But (a) I cannot stand the fecking awful commentary team - one has to accept Ray Hudson is a massive turn off to most - (b) I have to watch the games in SD, and that is just awful. Now I can’t even watch the games.

I’ll probably head to a bar to watch El Classico x2, but otherwise not going to seek it out. That’s the problem La Liga has here. Outside of Barca and Real, no one really gives a feck. Even these young guys I see walking around with Barca or Real shirts, can’t name a single player on Atletico except Griezmann. And it’s no joke to say that I’ve heard loads of them say that they are going to support Juve now Ronaldo has gone there. More fans of players than the actual clubs.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think it's inevitable. Am the leagues will do it. The only question is, his will they sell it to the fans.

18 home games, 18 away games and two neutral gamrs per season. Travelling fans won't even notice the difference (so they think)

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I honestly hope they do. Comcast is the best option in my area, and I would love to watch La Liga weekly. But (a) I cannot stand the fecking awful commentary team - one has to accept Ray Hudson is a massive turn off to most - (b) I have to watch the games in SD, and that is just awful. Now I can’t even watch the games.

I’ll probably head to a bar to watch El Classico x2, but otherwise not going to seek it out. That’s the problem La Liga has here. Outside of Barca and Real, no one really gives a feck. Even these young guys I see walking around with Barca or Real shirts, can’t name a single player on Atletico except Griezmann. And it’s no joke to say that I’ve heard loads of them say that they are going to support Juve now Ronaldo has gone there. More fans of players than the actual clubs.
A lot of NBA fans are like that.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The only thing they operate besides league games is the German super Cup.
Ah, you're right, the national "DFB Pokal" is obviously in the responsibility of the DFB, my bad :D

SSSSnake

Is there a chance the players will get hacked off with this idea? Could we see players leaving La Liga in protest? Surely all the teams will have to sign off on this?

So many question and I can't be arsed to research. If anyone knows please answer.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Is there a chance the players will get hacked off with this idea? Could we see players leaving La Liga in protest? Surely all the teams will have to sign off on this?

So many question and I can't be arsed to research. If anyone knows please answer.
The player union immediately came out against it.

red4ever 79

Pressing ahead. TBF I'm the only person in this thread who thinks it could be a good idea IF done in the right way (aka a seeded and additional game format), but Tebas is just doing it in the most ruinous fashion possible.
Isn't there a conflict of interests here. On one side you have the powers at be at the club pushing for the game to be played abroad and on the other side you have the captain (and presumably) other players at the club who have in a public manner rejected this.

Revan

Assumptionman
You are overestimating the financial value of not only season ticket holders, but the entire match generated income from the stadium. Clubs like United gets slightly above 100m from the stadium, which is less than 20% of their entire revenue. The majority of money comes from TV deals and commercial income, and with an European SuperLeague this will increase even more. I think that inevitably, it will happen, and personally, I hope it does.

SER19

This really is one of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen in the game

Revan

Assumptionman
If most of top European clubs join together to make an European SuperLeague, EPL will become totally irrelevant soon enough, and EPL top clubs will change ship.

Even a league without EPL teams, will have Real, Barca, Atletico, Bayern, BVB, Juve, Milan, Inter, PSG to name a few which is far superior to any individual league.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany

You have no idea if you think away culture is not very big in Germany. The biggest clubs manage around 5000 away fans on average and going to away games is a huge part of the fanship experience here. And by biggest clubs I don't only mean successful clubs like Bayern and Dortmund, but also historically big sides like Hamburg or Bremen, who regularly sat in the bottom half of the table.