La Liga sign 15-year deal to have games played in the US

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If most of top European clubs join together to make an European SuperLeague, EPL will become totally irrelevant soon enough, and EPL top clubs will change ship.

Even a league without EPL teams, will have Real, Barca, Atletico, Bayern, BVB, Juve, Milan, Inter, PSG to name a few which is far superior to any individual league.
Yeah but, foreign fans usually start following those clubs because they are successful. If they were all in the same league they could not all be successful. If they want to model themselves after the NFL someone would need to be the Browns.

cyberman

No it wont. There is no way the Super League would be set up without the English clubs, & they won't join, as have too much to lose. Be like turkeys voting for Christmas.
I agree, the world wide fanbase belongs to the EPL. The CL have these teams yet they're still rejigging the format to combat the growing apathy towards it.
Its ok hyping current Juve v Madrid but what happens 2 years from now when its mid table Juve v Madrid? Only one side can win the super league after all.
Hell we finished second last year and our stock seems to have fallen.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Might as well drop the Spanish from Spanish La Liga. If such a thing exists.

The tourism board must be thrilled.

redshaw

For American Gridiron Football I can see the novelty and value of playing outside the US, with European soccer, while I still see reasons of playing in the US, I think the US has it's own soccer teams to be proud of and follow. US soccer has a very good chance to be a very serious league.

D4X73r

Girona vs Barca played first in the US according to transfermarkt
Doesn't this ruin this derby?

Also Girona was listed as Home in this game and read that seasonticketholders should be refunded 20% of their season ticket price.

20% refund for THE derby of your team played outside of your country?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Girona vs Barca played first in the US according to transfermarkt
Doesn't this ruin this derby?

Also Girona was listed as Home in this game and read that seasonticketholders should be refunded 20% of their season ticket price.

20% refund for THE derby of your team played outside of your country?
It is not a very popular derby or with tradition. Logically it is not the same as playing at home but apparently they are already talking about 1500 Girona fans traveling for free

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are overestimating the financial value of not only season ticket holders, but the entire match generated income from the stadium. Clubs like United gets slightly above 100m from the stadium, which is less than 20% of their entire revenue. The majority of money comes from TV deals and commercial income, and with an European SuperLeague this will increase even more. I think that inevitably, it will happen, and personally, I hope it does.
How can you hope it does? I simply don’t see the attraction. 20% is still a lot. IF it does happen you will see on the ground fans simply supporting a team they can actually go and see. Also can I ask where you are from?

Revan

Assumptionman
How can you hope it does? I simply don’t see the attraction. 20% is still a lot. IF it does happen you will see on the ground fans simply supporting a team they can actually go and see. Also can I ask where you are from?
I am not from Manchester, neither from UK. Growing older football has become mostly entertainment for me, instead of a way of life so I would simply prefer watching top matches each weekend. I have absolutely no interest for matches between teams outside of top 6 in EPL for example, neither I watch most of matches of top 6 teams (excluding United) vs some non top 6 teams. So essentially for me now is just United, matches between top 6 teams, matches between Real/Barca/Atletico, the rare Italian/German match, and UCL. So mostly 1 to 2 matches per weekend and the same for UCL.

A league with top 20 or so top European teams would strongly appeal to me and would enjoy it. I know that it has the negative sides like killing national leagues and so on, but from my selfish point of view, I don't care about it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
According to SER will be Barsa-Girona in Miami

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Trump will have these pesky foreigners in Guantanamo if the game finishes 0-0.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently la liga has already communicated to Girona what are the possible compensations:
-free ticket and flight (max 1500)
-ticket, flight + two hotel nights for 450 euros
-Refund of 40% of the season ticket
-Up to 5000 free tickets for Barcelona-Girona

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona is going to have most of the support in 20 of the games as opposed to their 18 games as the away team. I know new ways of income should be explored, but I'm not sure this is the path to follow.

Revan

Assumptionman
Another twist to this great idea

This is pretty ridiculous. The anthem thing isn't done in Spain, so why on feck has to be done in US (I know that Americans love these things) and if they don't want Catalan symbols and want to wear the stadium with Spanish flags, why chose 2 Catalan clubs to do so? Also, having Barca have 20 home matches, but Real and Atletico having just 19 is unfair on Madrid clubs.

Revan

Assumptionman
Apparently la liga has already communicated to Girona what are the possible compensations:
That is actually good, if true. They (season ticket holders) essentially are paying for 11 matches and get 18 matches to watch, at the cost of being unable to watch the 19th match.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
This is pretty ridiculous. The anthem thing isn't done in Spain, so why on feck has to be done in US (I know that Americans love these things) and if they don't want Catalan symbols and want to wear the stadium with Spanish flags, why chose 2 Catalan clubs to do so? Also, having Barca have 20 home matches, but Real and Atletico having just 19 is unfair on Madrid clubs.
Tebas has been involved in some "unionist" demonstrations that took place in Barcelona, and tweeted several times with political issues. . I imagine there are many different interests, as well as dates. I mean, I do not think it's premeditated, but maybe la liga thinks it's a good opportunity to show the world how Spanish is Catalonia.
That is actually good, if true. They (season ticket holders) essentially are paying for 11 matches and get 18 matches to watch, at the cost of being unable to watch the 19th match.
Yes, it´s very good and 1500 fans for free seems very good too. If Deportivo were in Primera I´d love to have the chance to go to América

Revan

Assumptionman
Tebas has been involved in some "unionist" demonstrations that took place in Barcelona, and tweeted several times with political issues. . I imagine there are many different interests, as well as dates. I mean, I do not think it's premeditated, but maybe la liga thinks it's a good opportunity to show the world how Spanish is Catalonia.
Yes, but I think that it might piss Barca a lot, to the point of them not accepting to go there, and essentially the entire plan failing, maybe Barca getting punished, and other shit happening. Which can be avoided by simply not doing stuff in US which you don't do in Spain. And while I don't want to go here into debate of is Catalonia Spain or not (there is CE forum about it), it would much more simpler to have there Real vs some other Castile based club.

Yes, it´s very good and 1500 fans for free seems very good too. If Deportivo were in Primera I´d love to have the chance to go to América
Yeah, that would be grand too. A free holiday to US, while also a substantial decrease on season ticket.

So this is meant to be a Girona home game?

Instead it’s in a neutral venue, where the supporters will be 95% Barcelona ‘fans’. Brings into question the integrity of the league.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Everyone associated with La Liga should be ashamed about starting this race to the bottom of football's integrity.

Josep Dowling

So this is meant to be a Girona home game?

Instead it’s in a neutral venue, where the supporters will be 95% Barcelona ‘fans’. Brings into question the integrity of the league.
Exactly, shock that it won’t be Barcelona’s home game. The whole thing is a joke. Fair enough do pre season over there but a competitive league game is too far.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Aren’t girona basically owned by city.

Wouldn’t surprise me if their owners are behind this somehow.

AlwaysRed66

I mentioned this before & ask again. What will the repercussions be if Girona are relegated by 1-2 points. Also, as others have mentioned rivals such as Real Madrid will have one less home game, & what happens if they lose the league by 1-2 points.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Another twist to this great idea

It's very hard to take these news seriously. It actually sounds like someone has been taking the piss out of that COPE journalist.