Lack of composure

redIndianDevil

C'mon, we all know you're part of the "We love Pep" brigade. At least try to rein it in a bit when you want to make a point.

We used to pass sideways and backwards under LvG. We are still infuriatingly good at that. Anything past the halfway line though, and most of our players crumble and fumble the ball because that's where the opposition will press them. We may not have Rondo drills everyday in training, but we've got a bunch of technically limited players that have had terrible composure on the ball since forever. Even our midfield maestro Carrick used to play terribly against opposition that applied any form of pressure. This is why everyone fell asleep watching LvG games and wanted him out ASAP.
So this is what the forum is reduced to, anyone questioning Mourinho's "style" is either a "Pep lover" or a moaner. Pep is not the genius that invented the possession style football, there is a reason why almost all the best clubs in the world follow this approach. There may be times when a Atletico or a Chelsea will win reach a CL final by playing counter attacking football but they always will remain an exception to the norm. Even Real Madrid and Juventus who rely on counter attacking don't play hoofball, they also build from the back, they make incisive passes to the likes of Benzema and Higuain not use them like a fecking Andy Carroll.

Like you said we were incapable of making decent passes in the final third under LvG and the problem has still persisted, our movement is still awful, so what has Mourinho improved in his 1 and a half years of coaching? Our players look even more afraid of making a risky pass under Mourinho than under LvG, the defence like people have said has not improved that much, we still need De Gea to save our bacon every match and this too with attackers forced to track back to defend.

Pogba has papered over the cracks yes but you can't expect him to remain fit when he is playing every match and there is no way you are going to find a player who is just as good as Pogba to sign for us and remain as a bench option.

The United

I thought coaches train kids with a lot of balls to improve their technical skill and to feel the control over the ball.

So, in a match where you only touch the ball for a few seconds in a long period of time, is it common sense to think that your feel for the ball is kind of rusty even for pro players?

There are players who are so talented that they don't need that much of touch for the ball to show their ball skills. But, even if we have them, would that not be kind of a waste with our usual approach in big games?

We have the likes of blind, mata etc who are at least better at passing over almost all squad and have more composure and yet they don't play in those games usually. We don't seem to want to counter pressing team with more composure and passing masters in the team. We seem to do it with kick and rush approach at times.

I am not talking about the results. I am just thinking out loud why our team seems to lose composure in some games.

Ashley R1+O

We're second in the league and quality wise that's probably about right, yet we showed less composure on the ball today than you'll see from any other PL side, including the bottom ones. Almost no one willing to pick a pass out from the back, or even take the care to clear the ball properly. Most times we did get forwards, not being able to pick a pass or a decision, and instead just charging into defenders or shooting in a panic, or freezing completely.
I agree, I think Jose wants them to take more of the initiative and responsibility but it isn't there yet. Unfortunately LVG gutted a few titles and years of veteran experience out of the team and it will take a while to rebuild.

Ludens the Red

This team literally have the worse mentality out of any United side I've ever seen. The immaturity, the lack of composure and loss of basic footballing skills anytime the pressure cooker is turned up. Today was absolutely diabolical, those last 10 minutes were embarrassing. What the feck was the captain doing in those last ten minutes? Where was the shouting? where was the organizing? Why was Smalling allowed to stay at CB whilst limping? What is wrong with this team?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This team literally have the worse mentality out of any United side I've ever seen. The immaturity, the lack of composure and loss of basic footballing skills anytime the pressure cooker is turned up. Today was absolutely diabolical, those last 10 minutes were embarrassing. What the feck was the captain doing in those last ten minutes? Where was the shouting? where was the organizing? Why was Smalling allowed to stay at CB whilst limping? What is wrong with this team?
100% this.

Brainless idiots. I can’t find a better word. There is no excuses. I’m so angry that I’m fuming.

Kapardin

With average attackers, we only have average results. It is quite astonishing that so many don't want the likes of Ozil, who are talented, experienced and won't make such schoolboy errors.

It can be fixed, but Jose needs two things. One, backing in the transfer market. Two, no undue pressure to play the youth like Martial or "local lads" like Rashford due to which he is unable to get in better players.

Zoo

Both are past their best but the team misses the influence of Zlatan and Carrick.

Some of these players need to grow up quickly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
With average attackers, we only have average results. It is quite astonishing that so many don't want the likes of Ozil, who are talented, experienced and won't make such schoolboy errors.

It can be fixed, but Jose needs two things. One, backing in the transfer market. Two, no undue pressure to play the youth like Martial or "local lads" like Rashford due to which he is unable to get in better players.
Except, of course, when he makes school boy errors, goes completely and utterly missing in many games, and misses sitters.

Every player and every team have days where they can't hit a barn door including your proposed saviour.

Ludens the Red

100% this.

Brainless idiots. I can’t find a better word. There is no excuses. I’m so angry that I’m fuming.
Been less angry with defeats.

Yeah not sure Ozil is a good example in this point you're trying to make.

Kapardin

Been less angry with defeats.

Yeah not sure Ozil is a good example in this point you're trying to make.
He won't go missing like he does under Wenger with proper motivation. He will create more chances and show more guile than our current attackers in the final third even if he misses the occasional sitter. And he's unselfish.

Should do.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Wet the bed in attack, crap the bed in defence. More composure in a herd of bison that’s just heard a gunshot!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Our players are idiots. We should stop thinking that we need to play Rashford and Martial week in week out. They are not at the required level yet and have still got lots of work to do. I hope we get some established attackers in in January.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
After yesterday I don't think it's really any more complicated than "our players are idiots"

We are looking for on field composure and decision making from a number of players who are just astonishingly thick when it comes to in game intelligence. Especially in defence.

Smalling and Jones are probably using all of their mental capacity just to remember which team they're on.

Both the goals we conceded yesterday were absolutely amazing. They were both 100% avoidable by one or both of them applying the most basic level of common sense.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Wet the bed in attack, crap the bed in defence. More composure in a herd of bison that’s just heard a gunshot!
Dont think we lack composure going forward. Lingard was a little unlucky, in fact, he showes great confidence and composure to go around the keeper. Martial is as composed a finisher as we have.

Its the defence, more often than attack. Yesterday was more stupidity though. We need a captain. A proper one, not Pogba or Valencia or Smalling. Someone who isnt afraid to call the shots. This team is hindered by the lack of a leader.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Indeed.

Ludens the Red

Six years on and still a gigantic problem. Whether it be on the ball as we’ve seen again today or as we saw with Fred giving away that cheap free kick. Fecking snowflakes.