Television Lack of interest in TV and Films

AkaAkuma

Has anybody experienced this? It's said to be a sign of depression to lose interest in things you previously enjoyed - while there's something to that at the same time I feel it's more than that.

I look at all the latest films on Netflix and am just turned off, for whatever reason they just don't interest me anymore. I've either seen it done differently, the concept bores me or it just appears outlandish.

Am I depressed, turning into Michael Owen or is it some else?

justboy68

You could frame it in a positive way. Maybe you just feel like you've seen it all before if you've watched a lot and you can pursue other hobbies for a while instead. Maybe you will enjoy reading more or even trying your own creative writing or something. I'm not qualified to say whether its a sign of depression or not but I'd say don't fear the worst.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Has anybody experienced this? It's said to be a sign of depression to lose interest in things you previously enjoyed - while there's something to that at the same time I feel it's more than that.

I look at all the latest films on Netflix and am just turned off, for whatever reason they just don't interest me anymore. I've either seen it done differently, the concept bores me or it just appears outlandish.

It could be that there is a real lack of quality programs in the genre of tv that you like

AkaAkuma

@justboy68 thanks, it gives me impetus to study Japanese further. Reading as well. I think my entertainment can come from reading.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
It would happen to me it i was watching them on Netflix too. Bar a few classics we all seen decades ago, the vast majority is pure commercial garbage.

AkaAkuma

I think part of it may well be the trailers for them. Perhaps they are geared towards young viewers, as when I see them they just put me off.

A case in point is 'my name is dolemite' from what I gather it's a decent semi serious Murphy comeback - but the trailer just shows him in dress up gurning away.

AkaAkuma

It would happen to me it i was watching them on Netflix too. Bar a few classics we all seen decades ago, the vast majority is pure commercial garbage.
Whats the alternative?

I have Amazon prime aswell. I've seen a fair few decent things this year - but it's too far and few.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Whats the alternative?

I have Amazon prime aswell. I've seen a fair few decent things this year - but it's too far and few.
I don't have much time for a full movie during the week so i am pretty selective with what i download.

Most people have no idea of the vast world of cinema that lies beyond what's readily available. It's mind blowing.

Start by paying attention to directors so you find out what you like and understand their work better. There's commercial ones doing good and interesting things like Mann or Bay.

I personally have no time during the week so I get some kino suggestions from friends and internet and legally download them to watch on weekends.

Other than that i'd rather read a book or do something else instead of TV shows. Unless it's Peep Show!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't have much time for a full movie during the week so i am pretty selective with what i download.

Most people have no idea of the vast world of cinema that lies beyond what's readily available. It's mind blowing.

Start by paying attention to directors so you find out what you like and understand their work better. There's commercial ones doing good and interesting things like Mann or Bay.

I personally have no time during the week so I get some kino suggestions from friends and internet and legally download them to watch on weekends.

Other than that i'd rather read a book or do something else instead of TV shows. Unless it's Peep Show!
As in Michael Bay? You're saying he makes good, under the radar movies in between the latest Transformer sequel and <insert random disaster> movie?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The Witcher is out in 3 days!

I know what you mean though, it's like I am sick of gaming ATM, barely watch TV apart from sports either.

Hoof the ball

Try something different in your viewing habits. For eg. within the last few years I've made it a commitment to seek out foreign language movies that are highly rated. You'd be surprised how just watching a movie made on a completely unfamiliar aesthetic and language can reinvigorate the desire to watch movies or television.

Alternatively, you could always take the iMDB or Reddit top 250, try and push the boundaries of your familial choices.

Fosu-Mens

Regarding Netflix and TV-shows, in general, I think there has been a drop in quality. Also, the type of shows that are produced today may not necessarily suit your current interest?

This happened with me 3 years ago, and I started reading more books instead.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Nah, It's just your immune system telling you to stop watching garbage and wait for another season of Stranger Things. On a serious note, more and more quality shows and movies will be divided, because tons of new streaming networks being created every three months.

Turn to classics from 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. They simply make more sense than the recent puke fest of remakes, reboots and 'seen that somewhere before' productions.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I used to watch a few films every week but have lost interest in recent years, I've only watched three (I think) this year. Maybe it's just your interests shifting a bit, it's happened to me and video games.

evil_geko

I enjoyed MMM, but gave up at the end of the first series. I'll give the Witcher a crack, but it looks like a generic fantasy series.
Witcher world and lore is anything BUT generic, how the show will go about it with the material they have, that is another matter.

AkaAkuma

Witcher world and lore is anything BUT generic, how the show will go about it with the material they have, that is another matter.
I respect it has its fanbase and the excitement around it makes me want to give it a go, but my feeling on the actual show will be that it will be generic, despite the original material. Hope I'm wrong!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm sort of the same. Hollywood has moved into a different direction and when I browse Netflix I generally find myself resorting back to the 80s/90s flicks. I prefer older movies.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I rarely find good things to watch if I'm home bored and browsing stuff like Netflix. That's basically just like flipping between channels and finding some good stuff.

What's the last show you enjoyed or are currently enjoying?

AkaAkuma

I rarely find good things to watch if I'm home bored and browsing stuff like Netflix. That's basically just like flipping between channels and finding some good stuff.

What's the last show you enjoyed or are currently enjoying?
Standouts
Fleabag was good, watched that a few months ago.
Dark
Unbelievable

Enjoyable
Stranger Things
The Crown - decent, but a drop on the first season.
Atypical
Mindhunter
Top Boy
The Boys
Marvelous Mrs Maisel

With the Wife
This is Us
13 Reasons Why
Terrace House

Last edited:

SparkedIntoLife

I relate so much to this. I have Prime and Netflix and have so many things sitting on my list that I just never feel in the mood for. I went through a massive true crime phase but I think it's been oversaturated now and I'm kinda bored of the darkness. Speaking of which, how dark, gloomy or gritty is most stuff these days? It's like they're deliberately depressing us. Anything more light in style seems either too saccharine or silly or has deep underlying cynicism to me. Maybe I've just reached a certain age where I'm not so surprised by TV and film so it takes a lot more to impress me.

AkaAkuma

I relate so much to this. I have Prime and Netflix and have so many things sitting on my list that I just never feel in the mood for. I went through a massive true crime phase but I think it's been oversaturated now and I'm kinda bored of the darkness. Speaking of which, how dark, gloomy or gritty is most stuff these days? It's like they're deliberately depressing us. Anything more light in style seems either too saccharine or silly or has deep underlying cynicism to me. Maybe I've just reached a certain age where I'm not so surprised by TV and film so it takes a lot more to impress me.
What have you seen this year that you enjoyed?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Standouts
Fleabag was good, watched that a few months ago.
Dark
Unbelievable

Enjoyable
Stranger Things
The Crown - decent, but a drop on the first season.
Atypical
Mindhunter
Top Boy

With the Wife
This is Us
13 Reasons Why
The Boys is great. Sharp Objects, Watchmen, Mandalorian. Maybe need some more comedy in there to break up the norm of 40+ minute dramas. Taking a break and doing something else is also fine. Try browse Twitch for funny people (there are quite a few of them though mostly American so time zone matters). Just need to break up the norm is all. Unless you're seriously passionate about TV and movies generally then you will get saturated at some point.

AkaAkuma

The Boys is great. Sharp Objects, Watchmen, Mandalorian. Maybe need some more comedy in there to break up the norm of 40+ minute dramas. Taking a break and doing something else is also fine. Try browse Twitch for funny people (there are quite a few of them though mostly American so time zone matters). Just need to break up the norm is all. Unless you're seriously passionate about TV and movies generally then you will get saturated at some point.
Films and TV have always been my go to since I was young. I think I'm just becoming more selective as I get closer to 40. My list above shows that I average 1 decent show a month. So thats probably a reasonable expectation.

I wish I stuck with sharp objects, but ultimately ended up reading the wiki for it :nono:. It was too slow and bleak for me.

I'll start reading more, studying and am tempted to fill some time with some gaming - been a decade since I last played anything.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I am extremely picky about TV and films too because so many don’t seem interesting. I did recently get into Frasier if it’s something you haven’t seen yet.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
TV is probably the best it has ever been and the options we now have are incredible. Part of the issue you may have is that there is TOO much choice which can be a bit off-putting if you cant be arsed looking for the stuff you might like.

Siorac

TV is probably the best it has ever been and the options we now have are incredible. Part of the issue you may have is that there is TOO much choice which can be a bit off-putting if you cant be arsed looking for the stuff you might like.
Yes, this. Too much choice, spread over too many different streaming services.

And while it's true that 80% is garbage, that has always been true. It's a constant over the entire history of humanity.

Zlatattack

I feel the same. I've not come across anything new to watch.

Why don't you share what you've enjoyed in the past and then maybe people could give you an idea of what to watch? Sometimes there are hidden gems from the ages we just don't know about.

Alternatively, i've tried to use this "TV is boring" phase, to try and read - actually got as far as browsing my bookshelf last night.

AkaAkuma

I feel the same. I've not come across anything new to watch.

Why don't you share what you've enjoyed in the past and then maybe people could give you an idea of what to watch? Sometimes there are hidden gems from the ages we just don't know about.

Alternatively, i've tried to use this "TV is boring" phase, to try and read - actually got as far as browsing my bookshelf last night.
There's a list a few posts up with about 12 shows I've enjoyed this year.

I think unbelievable was perhaps the most enjoyable of the year.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
There's a list a few posts up with about 12 shows I've enjoyed this year.

I think unbelievable was perhaps the most enjoyable of the year.
I'd really recommend Catastrophe if you've not seen any of that already. 25 minute episodes, 6 episodes per season, 4 seasons in total.