Lack of transfers

Josep Dowling

I think we all knew it was going to bite us. We needed numbers more than anything. The youngsters simply aren’t ready and regardless of what Ole says its clear he doesn’t trust them either. We need a goal today so he swaps Matic for Fred whilst Chong and Gomes sit on the bench.

We don’t need to spend £80m every time we sign a player. It’s about being clever in the market and we simply don’t do that. Tielemans was available at £40m. Hell we could have got Llorente on a free for one season. More than anything we needed numbers and now we have no attack. It was inevitable it was going to happen at the beginning of the season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
see something on twitter before and it is shocking that we are in this position. the tweet read, 880m spent in 6 seasons and lingard comes on to replace injured rashford.

manunited1919

It wasn’t just lack of transfers, but also the WRONG TRANSFERS. Why did we spend £80m on Maguire when it was so obvious we have a huge problem in midfield?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not the lack of transfers.
It's the quality of transfers/
?? Very clearly lack of transfers. With everyone fit, it's not bad IMO but still lacking a quality holding midfielder, creative mid and a right winger. When pogba, martial and Rashford aren't there, we literally have nobody apart from youth. It's purely down to having no depth whatsoever.

bosnian_red

It wasn’t just lack of transfers, but also the WRONG TRANSFERS. Why did we spend £80m on Maguire when it was so obvious we have a huge problem in midfield?
Maguire is an excellent signing. We had a massive defensive problem. We also had a big problem in midfield, and a problem in attack. Can't do it all in one summer, so here we are relying on hope that players will stay fit (which they cant).

Ekeke

?? Very clearly lack of transfers. With everyone fit, it's not bad IMO but still lacking a quality holding midfielder, creative mid and a right winger. When pogba, martial and Rashford aren't there, we literally have nobody apart from youth. It's purely down to having no depth whatsoever.
With everyone fit we were still doing poorly. We've gone backwards due to the transfer activity

Josep Dowling

We had problems at CB but I agree if we have a budget why blow it on one player. Something we have done 3 times since Fergie retired.

manunited1919

Maguire is an excellent signing. We had a massive defensive problem. We also had a big problem in midfield, and a problem in attack. Can't do it all in one summer, so here we are relying on hope that players will stay fit (which they cant).
I’m not saying he was a bad signing. But our biggest need was in midfield, it was obvious to see.

DannyDash

Bruno Fernands was desperate for move, reasonable price, but instead we are playing the likes of Mctominay, Matic and Mata....

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Because we had a problem at the back as well. Which is now solved...

Josep Dowling

And there still wasnt enough outgoings at that
Well this is the thing. I would have got rid of Jones, Young and Matic.

We need 5-7 players in yet we keep being told it’s a slow process. Didn’t Pep sign 7 players in his second season? It wasn’t exactly an issue for them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Failure to bring in better midfield and attacking options over the summer was a mistake for sure.

Not having a single fit striker within the squad is outrageous and shameful.

arnie_ni

Well this is the thing. I would have got rid of Jones, Young and Matic.

We need 5-7 players in yet we keep being told it’s a slow process. Didn’t Pep sign 7 players in his second season? It wasn’t exactly an issue for them.
Theres also Mata, Pereira etc who aren't good enough. We easily need 10 players to complete our squad

Kostur

海尔的老板
Because we had a problem at the back as well. Which is now solved...
How many clean sheets have we had this season again?

For me the funniest thing about all this shit is the fact that we haven't brought in a fecking striker. I could go on and make a list of strikers who were transferred to the PL this season/transferred out to lesser teams, so you cannot throw the 'unattainable' excuse, that would save us from playing a Jesse fecking Lingard as a striker today. Starting from Llorente (who was a free agent, scored against Liverpool in the CL for Napoli and two against Lecce today), finishing on a fecking Haller I guess given that he's got more goals to his name thus far than any of our strikers. But I guess he's getting that great creation and delivery from your Nobles and Rices so that's why.

bosnian_red

With everyone fit we were still doing poorly. We've gone backwards due to the transfer activity
Were we? We had everyone fit for like 2 games. Not enough time to decide anything (and one we beat Chelsea 4-0 anyway). With Martial, Rashford and Pogba fit, we have a lot more going for us, though it's still not really enough but probably enough for top 4 if we had that level all season. We had 2 of those out today, and the other half fit leading to him coming off injured as well. Our entire attack relies on those 3, and that isn't enough because we just havent done any attacking transfers apart from James who is decent but not really someone we can rely on.

We all knew we needed midfield signings and attacking signings and defensive signings. We seemingly sorted out the back 4, but we could never have done it all in one window. Because we only fixed the defence, our team is fecked the second we get an injury in attack.

Nep77

4 Players short, Two on midfield and two on attack and that is without considering the depth that is needed.

Ekeke

Were we? We had everyone fit for like 2 games. Not enough time to decide anything (and one we beat Chelsea 4-0 anyway). With Martial, Rashford and Pogba fit, we have a lot more going for us, though it's still not really enough but probably enough for top 4 if we had that level all season. We had 2 of those out today, and the other half fit leading to him coming off injured as well. Our entire attack relies on those 3, and that isn't enough because we just havent done any attacking transfers apart from James who is decent but not really someone we can rely on.
Yes Chelsea had 1 bad match this season where they hit the woodwork twice against us with Mount and Abraham having their first premier league games. We cant judge our team around a one off match like that. Its about how good we've been this season.

With Pogba, Martial and Rashford we still looked no better than last season

Sp00ks11

Because the chuckle brothers have cost us time and time again, if you don't think Maguire is a massive improvement on them then you are deluded. We just should have acted like a real big club and brought it Kholibaly to. Tielemens in the midfield and Icardi upfront.

Josep Dowling

How many clean sheets have we had this season again?

For me the funniest thing about all this shit is the fact that we haven't brought in a fecking striker. I could go on and make a list of strikers who were transferred to the PL this season/transferred out to lesser teams, so you cannot throw the 'unattainable' excuse, that would save us from playing a Jesse fecking Lingard as a striker today. Starting from Llorente (who was a free agent, scored against Liverpool in the CL for Napoli and two against Lecce today), finishing on a fecking Haller I guess given that he's got more goals to his name thus far than any of our strikers. But I guess he's getting that great creation and delivery from your Nobles and Rices so that's why.
We have tunnel vision on targeting players. There is this obsession in signing Sancho and Maddison now. Both very good players but they will cost over £100m. We simply can’t keep spending that sort of money on one player and we shouldn’t need to.

Llorente was free, Lozano was £40m. Tielemans for £40m would have been a decent buy for CM. We could have got Ben Yedder who is scoring goals for Monaco.

Godfather

Well surprise surprise. Most of us saw that coming with these transfers. A hugely disappointing transfer window with a mediocre squad and a mediocre manager gives you that.

R'hllor

The youngsters arent ready... yea they clearly aint ready to be on level of Mata, Matic, Young, Fred, Lingard, Jones etc.

siw2007

Yep, I am chuffed with the players we did get, Wan Bissaka and Maguire make us a better side. But we really didn’t do enough in other areas. I’m all for Rashford and Martial getting more responsibility but if Lukaku and Alexis were to go we should have signed a more short term player like Mandzukic or Llorente who can fill in at times like this. We should have also gone for a ball playing midfielder, it’s okay to say that Pogba is our best midfielder but to say he is our only one with the quality on the ball is another.

bosnian_red

Yes Chelsea had 1 bad match this season where they hit the woodwork twice against us with Mount and Abraham having their first premier league games. We cant judge our team around a one off match like that. Its about how good we've been this season.

With Pogba, Martial and Rashford we still looked no better than last season
We had 3 games actually with all 3 fit. It's not enough time to decide anything. Like I said though, having them there still isn't enough as we are lacking 3 players in midfield and attack. But having those 3 out leaves us hopeless. 3 more (right) signings in the midfield and attack would help fix that.

bosnian_red

Why does it always come down to transfers?
Because that's clearly the thing lacking right now? We don't have a right winger. Our only true holding midfielder is Matic who is past it and our #10 is one of Lingard (average), Mata (past it) or Gomes (not ready to play regularly).

liamp

Because the kiddies play too much FIFA and Football Manager
I don't think it's as much about that as it is how much transfers are fetishized in England. If you have a shit system, you can try to plug and play Messi and it won't work out for you.

manunited1919

Because the chuckle brothers have cost us time and time again, if you don't think Maguire is a massive improvement on them then you are deluded. We just should have acted like a real big club and brought it Kholibaly to. Tielemens in the midfield and Icardi upfront.
Vidic thought otherwise, and I would say he knows more about defending than both of us together.

Look at these comments from Vidic, from BEFORE the transfer window opened, saying we needed to strengthen midfield, not defense (specifically centerbacks). I think Vidic would know a thing or two about defending.

http://mufclatest.com/manchester-united-need-to-strengthen-the-midfield-not-the-defence-says-nemanja-vidic/

Obiorahking_

So glad someone brought this up, if we are to contend for the PL title and assuming no leaves and we still play 4231, we definitely need:

A back up LB
A DM
A back up DM
An AM
A RW(not a LW who can play on the right but an an actual RW)
A Striker

Maybe need:
A back up RW
Backup creative AM/CM

Ole is literally playing with scrubs right now so our current state dosent surprise me.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We'll never sort the mess out if we don't have a big summer full of quality vetted signings. Easier said than done of course, but it should be possible.
Otherwise it's just going to be little improvements that aren't enough to change anything major, and by the time we've completed the current list there will be more issues to sort out.

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
Every time we pay gazillions of pounds for a certain player, then that player starts to believe he's God's gift to football. Since we do this with every single player, you got 11 people on the pitch who believe they are the center of the universe and you will never ever... seriously... NEVER... built a proper team.

It's all mindset. Money will get you the player, but make you lose the team.

Sick of it.