Lack of transfers

Obiorahking_

Our team’s midfield in particular makes no sense. We have 3 B2B midfielders, one of whom is masquerading as a DM cuz he has no legs but has 0 positional sense. We also have 0 proven AMs who can keep up with the pace of the game today and create chances. We have Pogba and we don’t even know for sure if he is here next year.

Morpheus 7

It wasn’t just lack of transfers, but also the WRONG TRANSFERS. Why did we spend £80m on Maguire when it was so obvious we have a huge problem in midfield?
It was hardly the wrong transfer, Maguire was a key area of the pitch that needed to be addressed. We didn't bring enough to replace what left since last January, really simple.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It was hardly the wrong transfer, Maguire was a key area of the pitch that needed to be addressed. We didn't bring enough to replace what left since last January, really simple.
Maguire is hardly a massive improvement at CB

We really needed a Matic replacement as a matter of urgency more than Maguire

rpitchfo

I didn’t think we needed prove players? Surely all we had to do was promote the entire youth academy and that would solve all our problems. Everyone knows youth for youths sake is the answer to everything.

Ekeke

We had 3 games actually with all 3 fit. It's not enough time to decide anything. Like I said though, having them there still isn't enough as we are lacking 3 players in midfield and attack. But having those 3 out leaves us hopeless. 3 more (right) signings in the midfield and attack would help fix that.
3? Jesus. 1 and some good tactics would see us do much better. We've used our resources poorly

JG3001

People need to realise now that this “2 or 3 signings away from competing” chat is nonsense. We need half a team plus squad backup (7/8 players).

How we avoid overpaying for garbage is another dilemma in itself....

Didn’t pep sign something like 15 in his first two seasons? Saw the problems, put his stamp on the squad instantly, no nonsense.

flappyjay

It's not the lack of transfers.
It's the quality of transfers/
The quality of transfers this year has been good thus far. Problem is some positions didn't get addressed. We lost 2 midfielders and 2 attackers and signed one attacker. Should have gotten another creator or another goal scorer, maybe both

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
3? Jesus. 1 and some good tactics would see us do much better. We've used our resources poorly
Yes 3? Or are you content with James as a starting right winger, lingard as a 10 and McTominay as a defensive mid? We used our resources dreadfully in the past, but the past summer the signings we did make were good and I'm shocked anyone would complain about those 3. The problem is it simply isnt enough, and I'm not sure if Ole is the true reason for that.

Ventura

It wasn’t just lack of transfers, but also the WRONG TRANSFERS. Why did we spend £80m on Maguire when it was so obvious we have a huge problem in midfield?
Just guessing here, but maybe because we had a huge problem in defense?

croadyman

The lack of transfers since those yankee leeches took over has totally ruined this once great club and slowly disintegrated our squad into something resembling lower level premier league at best.

Hawks2008

C'mon guys, if only Newcastle bestowed the mighty Longstaff upon us. He was the key and the ONLY one who can improve our midfield and it was definitely not worth targeting any other midfielder. So now we must persist with the likes of Matic, Fred, and McTominay in hopes that Sean graces us with his presence in the next transfer window, then we'll be a proper team.

Morpheus 7

Maguire is hardly a massive improvement at CB

We really needed a Matic replacement as a matter of urgency more than Maguire
That United team conceeded 54 goals in the league last year. We never had a consistent pairing all year. We needed to replace RB,CB, CM, RW and a forward. Fellaini, Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez, Darmian and Smalling left. The majority of them positions and players needed to be replaced. We didn't do that, I said we didn't bring in enough.

54 goals! We needed to bring in a good CB. Wish people in here would use there fecking head at times. Matic is finished but we wouldn't be talking about him had we replaced Herrera and Fellaini. We finished 32 points behind City, brought in 3 players and let 6 go, work it out.

Ekeke

Yes 3? Or are you content with James as a starting right winger, lingard as a 10 and McTominay as a defensive mid? We used our resources dreadfully in the past, but the past summer the signings we did make were good and I'm shocked anyone would complain about those 3. The problem is it simply isnt enough, and I'm not sure if Ole is the true reason for that.
1 good DM next to McTominay and Pogba. Martial, Rashford and James or Greenwood up front. Gomes playing games often

Think we'd be twice as good

Josep Dowling

The youngsters arent ready... yea they clearly aint ready to be on level of Mata, Matic, Young, Fred, Lingard, Jones etc.
They clearly aren’t otherwise they would be used. Did you see Chong against Astana? The guy could barely control a football. It’s very different to youth football and some players don’t cope with that. Gomes is also very light weight for the Premier League at the moment.

Truth is we should not be relying on youngsters who have no first team experience at all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
1 good DM next to McTominay and Pogba. Martial, Rashford and James or Greenwood up front. Gomes playing games often

Think we'd be twice as good
Would be fine too, but 3 to give us a good starting 11 and depth IMO. Just 1 signing doesn't address the lack of depth in attack nor the lack of a clear 3rd starter in attack. James is good but I dont think he should be starting. I like McTominay but I'm not sure if he should be starting every week. Like if we want to build a squad where we could compete for the title (*if the right manager was in charge), then the teams should look something like this, which is basically 3 starters being added and turning 3 current starters into squad players.

Rashford Martial ???
Pogba ???
???
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan Bissaka
De Gea

James ??? Greenwood
Lingard/Gomes McTominay
Fred
Young Jones Tuanzebe Dalot
Romero​

Romez

It’s criminal that we don’t have a DoF yet.

Shows we clearly don’t have a plan going forward.

arthurka

Going into this season with this midfield, another season without a right winger and no number 9 was always going to be tough. Playing youth sounds good but they need to have a solid foundation to build on for that to work. Not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez was a terrible idea and losing Herrera and not replacing him was just as bad. Mata, Young and Matic is one of the worst foundations I have seen and that for as little as 600-700m.

Josep Dowling

It’s criminal that we don’t have a DoF yet.

Shows we clearly don’t have a plan going forward.
It’s pointless getting a DOF if Woodward is still above them. Woodward needs to go. I can’t understand how the Glazer accept his incompetence. The only reason profits are increasing is because of things that Woodward has no control over. Sooner or later it will damage the brand. I think it already is.

JonDahl

Ok then what do you think is the problem? Quite clearly we need better players right now.
I agree we need better players, but a lot of people here think that's all we need. Having another striker today wouldn't stop us playing the boring shit we served up. In the same way signing a centre back hasn't transformed us defensively.

Good coaching is paramount, otherwise it doesn't matter who we buy. They won't perform, we'll take a financial hit to get rid of them and the cycle repeats itself.

See: Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Alexis, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan and many more since 2013.

dove

We need not only players but the manager as well. People need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that any average manager can turn into SAF if he is given at least 5 years. Nonsense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am done with our players. We need to change the whole fecking team, this bunch of players are hopeless.

Players to keep:
- Daniel James (very very fast, our most effective left winger, I like his attitude)
- Wan Bissaka (great right back, best tackler in the league, what a signing)
- Harry Maguire (good CB, winning alot of ariel duel, good passer of ball, but slow)
- McTominay (good attitude, always does his job, a good workhorse)
- Greenwood (he is still very young, but his finishing is good and looks very promising)
- Gomes (young and talented, but he is small)
- Tuanzebe (he is young and looks promising)
- De Gea (well he committed his long term future with us, best in the world when he is in his normal form)

Players to sell:
- Lingard (shite and hopeless)
- Matic (slow and hopeless)
- Mata (slow and hopeless)
- Fred (shit and hopeless)
- Rojo (shit defender)
- Bailey (shit defender)
- Jones (shit defender)
- Young (old and shit)
- Pogba (he wants out, he sulks, but he can also raise us a lot of cash)

Players to sell in few years if no improvement:
- Rashford (headless chicken, bad finishing and terrible decision making)
- Martial (lazy ass, need to make more runs and goals)
- Lindelof (he is hopeless in heading, which is fatal for a CB)
- Dalot (not convinced)
- Pereira (not convinced)
- Chong (young but not ready, not convinced)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I am done with our players. We need to change the whole fecking team, this bunch of players are hopeless.

Players to keep:
- Daniel James (very very fast, our most effective left winger, I like his attitude)
- Wan Bissaka (great right back, best tackler in the league, what a signing)
- Harry Maguire (good CB, winning alot of ariel duel, good passer of ball, but slow)
- McTominay (good attitude, always does his job, a good workhorse)
- Greenwood (he is still very young, but his finishing is good and looks very promising)
- Gomes (young and talented, but he is small)
- Tuanzebe (he is young and looks promising)
- De Gea (well he committed his long term future with us, best in the world when he is in his normal form)

Players to sell:
- Lingard (shite and hopeless)
- Matic (slow and hopeless)
- Mata (slow and hopeless)
- Fred (shit and hopeless)
- Rojo (shit defender)
- Bailey (shit defender)
- Jones (shit defender)
- Young (old and shit)
- Pogba (he wants out, he sulks, but he can also raise us a lot of cash)

Players to sell in few years if no improvement:
- Rashford (headless chicken, bad finishing and terrible decision making)
- Martial (lazy ass, need to make more runs and goals)
- Lindelof (he is hopeless in heading, which is fatal for a CB)
- Dalot (not convinced)
- Pereira (not convinced)
- Chong (young but not ready, not convinced)
That is a good list. I fully agree. That is what we should learn this season. Hopefully a few of those players like Lindelof, Pereira, Rashford, Martial, Dalot Fred can improve through the season but if we're not seeing drastic improvements from those guys then drastic changes should be made. This list is scary because it's so very sensible.

manunited1919

Just guessing here, but maybe because we had a huge problem in defense?
Can you please read the thread? I have already posted twice in the first page Vidic’s comments about needing to invest in midfield instead of central defense. It’s a matter of priority.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That United team conceeded 54 goals in the league last year. We never had a consistent pairing all year. We needed to replace RB,CB, CM, RW and a forward. Fellaini, Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez, Darmian and Smalling left. The majority of them positions and players needed to be replaced. We didn't do that, I said we didn't bring in enough.

54 goals! We needed to bring in a good CB. Wish people in here would use there fecking head at times. Matic is finished but we wouldn't be talking about him had we replaced Herrera and Fellaini. We finished 32 points behind City, brought in 3 players and let 6 go, work it out.
And yet still we do not have a competent defensive midfielder.

Its pretty clear Matic needed and still does need replacing as he cannot cut it any longer.

Also I agree we needed a CB. I disagree that spending 80m on Maguire has helped that much but time will tell.

Lee565

We spunked money in the wrong areas, why bother buying a ball playing centre back for 80 million when we can barely score a goal in a match and then spunk 40 million on a defensive right back when we already have no creativity down the right wing? That is completely on Solskjear for prioritising that over the attack when it was clear lukaku was on the way out, Look at our rivals for top 4, they all concede just as many goals as us if not more but are picking up more points because they can actually outscore the opposition, even last season we were dreadful in attack so why did we not focus on that issue

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Our summer window was shit, but this is hardly news.

I'm not surprised or that annoyed by results like yesterday because considering the state of our squad, it's to be expected

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's not the lack of transfers.
It's the quality of transfers/
at this point its both. We couldn't afford starting the season with no midfield and forward line. That's absolutely silly.

We need to reform our way of doing things. The club must be able to handle high staff turnover (7 in 7 out) on a regular basis. That's a good thing. It keeps players on their toes, it allows you to get rid of players for a decent fee before they are tagged as deadwood and it allows the manager to adapt quickly to an ever changing football world.

Judas

Open to offers
We need not only players but the manager as well. People need to stop deluding themselves into thinking that any average manager can turn into SAF if he is given at least 5 years. Nonsense.
Yep this is a massive thing on here at the moment and I'm baffled. Time isn't going to make someone who's simply not good enough amazing because it worked 30 years ago with Fergie.

yamo123x

Where do you start... from top to bottom its embarassing but we are the victims of a number of bad decisions/practices.

-Poor scouting- missing out on talent who we will end up paying top dollar for maguire, maddison,kante, etc etc
-Poor scouting- Buying players that look good on you tube but are bang average to poor- Fred, Obertan, Darmian, Bebe, Memphis Rojo, Dalot etc
-Buying Mercenaries- Big names who just want the money and not the club- Di Maria, Falcao,Pogba, Ibra,Sanchez
-Creating Mercenaries- Players who see the big wages and want rises and hold club to ransom-- Herrera,De Gea, Rashford, Martial Mikhi
-Poor managerial appointments- Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, none were the right fit, sadly Ole lacks experience and presence at this time.
-Vastly Overrated Players on Big contracts- Young, Lingard, Jones, Smalling, Rashford, Rojo, Matic, Mata
- The Obsession with doing it the Man Utd way- Has lead to us pushing players into the limelight who are not ready, the Man Utd way was good in its day but football has moved on now and we are hoping and praying that Mctominay is our new Keane where in fact he is a poor man;s fletcher, like the lad, but this is just an example of us heaping pressure on these kids
-Mr Woodward and co- The common denominator of all of the above. As CEO the buck rests with him.

We are now left with a squad that look depleted and lost. I cannot see a style of play or even the beginnings of a style of play. Ill support the club and Ole but behind the scenes massive changes are needed, dead wood has to go and serious investment is required.

Mark Pawelek

So glad someone brought this up, if we are to contend for the PL title and assuming no leaves and we still play 4231, we definitely need:

A back up LB
A DM
A back up DM
An AM
A RW(not a LW who can play on the right but an an actual RW)
A Striker

Maybe need:
A back up RW
Backup creative AM/CM

Ole is literally playing with scrubs right now so our current state dosent surprise me.
With Glazers running United, you're asking for the impossible. And I think you know it. We need: DM, Striker, AM, and RW. We also want backup LB and DM. In reality we'll be lucky to get the 4 players we need in the next 12 months; never mind the one's we want. When Glazers limiting annual net spend to £100m, how will we buy 4 players?

jackal&hyde

I’m not saying he was a bad signing. But our biggest need was in midfield, it was obvious to see.
I disagree. In Mctominay and Pogba we have a better mid then we had defense last season with Young and Smalling. It's just that we have zero depth; Pogba gets injured and we are back to Matic.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I disagree. In Mctominay and Pogba we have a better mid then we had defense last season with Young and Smalling. It's just that we have zero depth; Pogba gets injured and we are back to Matic.
But that's just two MF's. Anyone could see (or should have seen) that we needed more quality in MF.

Toni's Left Foot

How many clean sheets have we had this season again?

For me the funniest thing about all this shit is the fact that we haven't brought in a fecking striker. I could go on and make a list of strikers who were transferred to the PL this season/transferred out to lesser teams, so you cannot throw the 'unattainable' excuse, that would save us from playing a Jesse fecking Lingard as a striker today. Starting from Llorente (who was a free agent, scored against Liverpool in the CL for Napoli and two against Lecce today), finishing on a fecking Haller I guess given that he's got more goals to his name thus far than any of our strikers. But I guess he's getting that great creation and delivery from your Nobles and Rices so that's why.
We have actually looked solid at the back this season.

It's just that opponents are being incredibly clinical with the couple of chances/half chances they get.

Last edited by a moderator: