Laporte to play for Spain - Marca

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Nero

I thought if you had already played for the U21's you couldn't change.

prath92

Wait he isn't injured? I thought he was to be back only in October?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought if you had already played for the U21's you couldn't change.
Only a full senior appearance. Jack Grealish switched for England last season after playing for Ireland's U21's.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wait he isn't injured? I thought he was to be back only in October?
No. Played in pre-season and first two league games. After such an injury captaining your U-21 side you would think the french manager would take time out to ask how he is doing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Only a full senior appearance. Jack Grealish switched for England last season after playing for Ireland's U21's.
Didn't Steven N'Zonzi recently get blocked for playing for England due to France U21 caps?

DomesticTadpole

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Freddie Kanoute made a switch to Mali having played for France youth teams too.

AmeriRed

Didn't Steven N'Zonzi recently get blocked for playing for England due to France U21 caps?
You have to be eligible for both nations at the time of the first youth team/friendly caps to be able to later switch allegiances. I don't know anything about this specific case, but if N'Zonzi was capped for a youth French team before he became eligible for England then he wouldn't be able to file his one-time switch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You have to be eligible for both nations at the time of the first youth team/friendly caps to be able to later switch allegiances. I don't know anything about this specific case, but if N'Zonzi was capped for a youth French team before he became eligible for England then he wouldn't be able to file his one-time switch.
Ah, that makes more sense. Our own Andreas Pereira has also switched, and can theoretically still switch back until a senior cap.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I'm not a fan of this anyway. N'Zonzi have absolutely no connections to England, other than the 6 years he happened to play for Blackburn and Stoke. When Ireland and Scotland hand out caps to English-born players there's at least some sort of connection with an Irish/Scottish parent or grandparent, it's not only a case of a player who aren't good enough to play for England, or in N'Zonzi's case France.

Jaybomb

How Deschamps still has his job I do not know.
He got them to the final without Benzema, Ben Arfa, Lacazette, Sakho, Diarra, Varane and a ton of other big players. On top of that, he only lost the final in Extra Time.

Amazes me that some people have this guy down as a bad manager.

DomesticTadpole

He got them to the final without Benzema, Ben Arfa, Lacazette, Sakho, Diarra, Varane and a ton of other big players. On top of that, he only lost the final in Extra Time.

He did, but to be honest they should have won it.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
The French has ridiculous talent coming through in that position so was going to be hard for him. Saying that arguably probably the most talented of the lot, would have though the French would have played him by now and blocked any chance of something like this happening. Koscielny, Varane, Umtiti, Remi, Sakho and Zouma all look ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think staying at Atletico has harmed his chances, had he been playing for a bigger club more likely he'd get selected.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The French has ridiculous talent coming through in that position so was going to be hard for him. Saying that arguably probably the most talented of the lot, would have though the French would have played him by now and blocked any chance of something like this happening. Koscielny, Varane, Umtiti, Remi, Sakho and Zouma all look ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think staying at Atletico has harmed his chances, had he been playing for a bigger club more likely he'd get selected.
In fact if he'd been at Atletico he'd probably have been selected.

luke511

By getting to the final of EURO 2016?

How does woy got the job in the first place?

He got them there in the most uninspiring fashion, and then lost to a Ronaldo-less Portugal who didn't even perform that well.

You've listed out players he should have picked and then said he's a good manager because he's done well without these players, this makes no sense.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He got them there in the most uninspiring fashion, and then lost to a Ronaldo-less Portugal who didn't even perform that well.

You've listed out players he should have picked and then said he's a good manager because he's done well without these players, this makes no sense.
Who cares, at the end of the day he's the manager, all fail and glory belongs to him.

I never said he's a good manager. But getting into the final means he's keeping his job.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't buy the club argument, Payet is playing for West Ham who aren't better than Athletic and he got called up. It's a massive feck up by France to not lock down one of the most talented young defenders in Europe.

Revan

Assumptionman
Deschamps is an idiot for not playing him. Only Koscielny is better than him from Spain's CBs. To think that even Sakho somehow is above Laporte in the picking order...

Great news for Spain if true. Pique and Ramos will need to be replaced soon enough, and until then Laporte can be a solid third choice.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Laporte should have chosen Spain one year ago!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Said this in another thread, and i know there are many out there who disagrees with me.
People should play for the country they were born, end of.
Unless for weird situations where a family are on vacation, driving through a random country, and the woman gives birth in the car :)

Qatar won the world cup in handball a couple years back, where the entire team was bought from other countries.
Disgusting.