Large Eruption at Tonga’s Hunga Volcano

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Happened in the last hour leading to tsunamis and black skies.

FireballXL5

That first picture....wow! Hope people had enough warning to get to safety.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just received a Tsunami warning here. Doesn’t seem to be that severe so probably just precautionary.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We’ve got tsunami advisory’s all the way up on Vancouver Island. Crazy how far the impact from this can go.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A lot interesting footage in the twitter space, but this one really struck me. Imagine hearing this from something 800km away…

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We’ve got tsunami advisory’s all the way up on Vancouver Island. Crazy how far the impact from this can go.
Went down to the Dana Point headlands (about 200 feet up) here in Orange County, CA to see if we could see any tsunamis coming in. Not much to see tbh but a lot of people had the same idea as the overlooks were busy. Couldn’t fathom the people down in the harbour though walking on the sand when the water did pull back a few feet. They had to retreat when it came back in quicker than it went. But it was still all in slo mo.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't understand this. Weren't the wave heights about 1 meter in Tonga? Why are there tsunami warnings on the west coast of US which is several thousands km away? If the waves somehow were strong enough to reach the west coast wouldn't they decimate the likes of Samoa and Hawaii on the way? I don't get physics and nature.

Tarrou

I don't understand this. Weren't the wave heights about 1 meter in Tonga? Why are there tsunami warnings on the west coast of US which is several thousands km away? If the waves somehow were strong enough to reach the west coast wouldn't they decimate the likes of Samoa and Hawaii on the way? I don't get physics and nature.
Tsunami's have very large wavelengths and don't lose that much energy/height over really long distances

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is mental. If you showed me those images and gave me no other information I would genuinely fear that an explosion of that size and power, dislodging that much water would result in tens of billions of dollars worth of damage and change the lives of millions of people.

prateik

If there are warnings in the US/Canada, how bad is it for the islands nearby? or places like NZ and Aus?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This is pretty cool as well. Following geology and space oriented tweeters is the best decision I’ve made on there (other than the one where you have to find the cat hidden in a random photo every day).

Tarrou

you can see the exact moment he realised he fecked up

RedDevilQuebecois

A lot interesting footage in the twitter space, but this one really struck me. Imagine hearing this from something 800km away…

It sounds like a loud gunshot from where that guy was standing. Terrifying to think what it must have been like for anyone being a lot closer to the actual location.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
49 feet according to the last post