Larnell Cole

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Watched him against Swansea yesterday. Quite a tricky little player. Reminds me of SWP.

Anyone else think he might me one for the future?

prateik

Larnell?
I like him but he is tiny. he is very quick which is a great asset.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cracking little player. As is Lingard. Clearly long term projects, but who knows..

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
"It was well deserved for Larnell Cole," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "I was speaking to Noel Blake about Cole the other week and he's been outstanding in various positions.

"He is obviously a midfielder who wants to play in midfield but it's all part of his development to play other roles. There's certain aspects of midfield play he needed to work on - especially the defensive side.

"So we've given him a few games at full-back to highlight where he's got to work on and he's done really well in that new position.

"There's no hiding place at full-back. I thought, earlier in the season, he was quite poor in one-on-one situations whilst defending in midfield. He's had to really concentrate and focus and he's done well there."
It's interesting to see that the club sees him as a midfielder rather than a winger, which we all thought he would be.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Always looked like a CM, was under the impression he was just playing wide right because we needed one and we had Pogba, Tunnicliffe and Morrison central? Same goes with Lingard.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I thought he looked really good on the wing myself, where he could use his speed and agility and his small size wouldn't be much of a liability.

His crossing looked quite good as well, though of course he can utilize that all over the field.

Especially with Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci and Tunnicliffe all looking like they're heading for a chance in midfield for United, seems like he'd have a better chance elsewhere.

Though I'm sure the coaches know best. Always good to work on your defending, anyway.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I thought he looked really good on the wing myself, where he could use his speed and agility and his small size wouldn't be much of a liability.

His crossing looked quite good as well, though of course he can utilize that all over the field.

Especially with Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci and Tunnicliffe all looking like they're heading for a chance in midfield for United, seems like he'd have a better chance elsewhere.

Though I'm sure the coaches know best. Always good to work on your defending, anyway.
I think Cole will probably end up better than Tunnicliffe, and a different player to the rest, a bit more dynamic. I think there could be a place for him here.

lysglimt

Scout
I think Cole will probably end up better than Tunnicliffe, and a different player to the rest, a bit more dynamic. I think there could be a place for him here.
I hope not - because Tunnicliffe is the player we badly NEED at United. Cole is very talented - but his playing style at United is not unique, Tunnicliffes now is!

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I hope not - because Tunnicliffe is the player we badly NEED at United. Cole is very talented - but his playing style at United is not unique, Tunnicliffes now is!
I think that Cole could be that kind of centre midfielder, with a bit more pace and class. He's just quite small at the moment so can't impose himself physically like Tunnicliffe can, I think that by the age of say 22 that won't be a problem anymore.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I think that Cole could be that kind of centre midfielder, with a bit more pace and class. He's just quite small at the moment so can't impose himself physically like Tunnicliffe can, I think that by the age of say 22 that won't be a problem anymore.
I'm not seeing that at all. He'll clearly never be as physically imposing as Tunners.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
He's tenacious but nowhere near as physical or imposing. Very classy and entertaining a player but I just don't see it.

Hope he has a future he because he is one of the players that silently gets the job done without getting the praise others do.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Size in midfield is nice, but it's hardly a reason to write off a player as a midfielder, especially as we've had the brilliant and relatively small Paul Scholes in our team for so long.

Playing different positions is much more common at lower levels, though we also just saw Berbatov, Carrick and Park play in central defense.

Great to see him get his debut, anyway, too bad Fryers went off 5 minutes after he came on, so his last 10 minutes was with 10 men.

His first pass was a backheel, so there's certainly no lack of confidence, and you could see his speed and acceleration is great.

Has a footballing brain unlike SWP, so I don't care for that comparison.

Ubik

They weren't writing him off as a central midfielder, they were saying that he wouldn't be one in the Tunnicliffe mould.

Ubik

Sorry for not being clearer there Deco, that was in reply to gooDevil's first sentence rather than you (your post appeared whilst I was writing mine).

greater wall

I always enjoy watching him. Classy player, good technique and bright. I hope he gets a lot more games and progresses to the first team.

datura

Larnell Cole interview from MUTV:

'I'm an attacking midfielder'

Signed for United when he was 9, first kicked a ball at 7.

'I was doing the soccer schools at primary school, they asked me to go the cliff, then some six week trials and then signed me'

Hero - Zidane

Players you're similar too - I like to look at the smaller players as I'm small so Xavi & Iniesta

Strengths - My quick feet

What makes you stand out - My pace and quick feet

Aims for the season - Play as many games as I can for the reserves and see how I do

Aim for career - A long career obviously playing at United, or if not another Premiership team

In 5 seasons time - Playing hopefully here or another Premiership team

Good about football - Just playing..I just love playing.

Bad about football - Probably the way footballers are stereotyped sometimes

Best mate at United - Probably Jesse (Lingard), I've known him a long time and I just get on with him

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
They weren't writing him off as a central midfielder, they were saying that he wouldn't be one in the Tunnicliffe mould.
Oh I just meant that generally, I wasn't trying to argue. Of course I'm no expert, but I would think Tunnicliffe would be well ahead of Cole in the central midfield stakes as well, and has the sort of creativity we need in midfield.

Tunnicliffe getting a loan sounds like he's ahead of other midfielders in the youth setup. Being sent on loan is seen as a bad thing a lot of the time, but with United youth it seems to be a sign of development.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Scholes: United Have Next Evra in the Wings

Paul Scholes believes that Manchester United's youngsters will get better with time, despite their demoralising loss to Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup quarter final.

Larnell Cole, who originally comes from Manchester, was an unused substitute in the tie between the Red Devils and their lower league opposition, and though the 18 year old is still waiting to make his debut for the senior side, Scholes believes he has what it takes to be a future talent for the club.

"[He's] an excellent all-round footballer," Scholes told the official United website.

"He can play wide right, central midfield, he can probably play other positions, too. He's just someone who's supremely confident on the ball, capable of scoring goals, making chances and he has a chance of being a good player for us, I think.

"He's really impressed me. The ball seems almost glued to his foot, he knows exactly where he is on the pitch - which is key for a midfielder."

Scholes also singled out Zeki Fryers for special praise, who also comes from the home of United, and was subbed on in the 37th minute to make his fourth appearance for the club.

Must Read

Afghan Family Attacked by Acid After Daughter Spurns Man’s Advances
Suu Kyi Welcomes New U.S.-Myanmar Ties
"Zeki did really well in his debut at Leeds. He's a defender so he has to be big, physical and strong," he said.

"He's got a nice left foot, as well; he can pick people out with it and hopefully he'll progress to the first team. It was a great performance at Elland Road. You could understand maybe a few nerves, but he had a lot of experienced players around him and that helped.

"I think he'll probably be a better centre-half than full-back at the minute, but he could maybe provide a bit of competition for Patrice Evra somewhere down the road."

And Paul Pogba, who has been the subject of some transfer speculation lately as he talks to United about a new deal, is the perfect example of how youth are developing at Old Trafford, according to Scholes.

He explained: "He is a big, strong player. His skill is brilliant, as are his physique and speed.

"The one thing that he probably needs to tidy up a little bit is his passing, but once that comes right, he's potentially a top-class player.

"He came on against Leeds and did really well. All of these players are young and they have plenty of time to progress, and once they tidy up a few little things, they should be fine."

While United's youngsters will be disappointed with last night's results, they will continue to make waves throughout the club and get better at their trades under the watchful eyes of Scholes and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Scholes: United Have Next Evra in the Wings

forevrared

Interesting bit about the family being attacked by acid, but I'm not sure why Paul Scholes is talking about Afghanistan.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Good experience for the lad, if I remember correctly Welbeck travelled with the squad to Moscow in 2008 and woke up late the morning after and nearly missed the flight back.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Ha nice to see someone heeded my advice, hopefully Olly comes through with the GIF soon.