Late developing United signings

BenjaminP

Ji Sung Park

He was a workhorse squad player for a couple years, then he stepped up to be one of Fergie's main men in big games.
Not only tactically astute, but scored many vital goals for us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Teddy Sheringham is the best example of this I can think of. Signed in 97, where he was pretty cack, then he had his best season in 2000-2001 where he was the leagues top scorer, and the PFA POTY

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Andy Cole?
Yup (and Teddy too)

Cole didn't actually step up fully until his 4th season with us (he broke his leg in his 3rd) where he was joint PL top scorer and runner up in the PFA Players of the year, yet even going into his 5th he was widely thought to be being sold to make way for Yorke...We all know how that turned out. In fact Cole's a player who got progressively better the longer he was here.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well aware of that. Carrick has evolved as a player. He takes far more risks with his incisive, forward passing than ever before. When he first arrived he was timid. Fans in the stands saw a player who was capable of much more, but who was choosing to take the easy route out.

And I don't care what anyone says, I've been a ST holder for as long as Carrick has played at OT and the moans and groans that used greet his conservative play, definitely got him. As you'd expect.
There's no doubt that Carrick improved in time. However, I believe that your earlier assessment was a bit too harsh. Carrick was an excellent player for us from day 1. He became a world class player for us later on.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
In Carrick's first couple of seasons, he used to infuriate those around me at OT.

He definitely struggled initially to play with Scholes, more with the weight of expectation than anything and playing next to him. He took a backseat and let Scholes do the work, which meant he looked like he was shirking responsibility. He was guilty of too much sideways and backwards passing - never a popular choice at OT.

He grew into the role and then eventually when Scholes was phased out he had to learn to hold the United midfield on his own. Which he achieved.
Scholes began to be phased out in Carrick's second season. Definitely noteworthy that it was Scholes and not Carrick who was substituted in the CL final against Chelsea.

Andy Cole?
Great shout, best example in the thread.

Natener

But the OP is talking in terms of Martial, Shaw and Rashford who are equally young players.
Yeah, but the OP is nuts. On a more serious note, players before 24-25 should still be allowed grace as developing in my book. Also, Herrera should be biggest example in our current squad. He's 28 this month and really only came into his own last season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
DDG took a season to bed in. Forlan improved over his time with United. Carrick definitely improved with age.
I am old enough to have seen Forlan play and I can tell you that he did not improve. He kept missing chances for the short time he was with us.
The manager gave him chance after chance to show what he could do, but his scoring rate was similar to that of our current attackers. While Jose seems to accept this, Fergie didn't and for the reason, he was sold.
I think he scored about 10 league goals in 2.5 years he was with us.

Bizarrely, before he joined us and after he left, he was prolific. Perhaps the pressure of playing for MUFC got to him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ronaldo my arse. You can see who got their opinions from MOTD here.
Although it was obvious from a young age that he was talented and loved doing tricks on the pitch, there was little end product. It took him 3-4 seasons before he was prolific.
The one thing that this doesn't include is age. He did start at a very young age and by 22, he was firing on all cylinders.
So, technically, he was a slow starter who improved quite dramatically.

El Zoido

Darren Fletcher. Technically not a signing, but I remember not rating him much for at least his first three years, yet he eventually turned in to a brilliant player.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yeah, but the OP is nuts. On a more serious note, players before 24-25 should still be allowed grace as developing in my book. Also, Herrera should be biggest example in our current squad. He's 28 this month and really only came into his own last season.
Herrera was good a few years ago.
The problem was that LVG did not know how to use him. Had Jose (who did know how to use him) joined us 3 seasons ago and we got Herrera, my guess would be that at 25, Herrera would be just as good.

I think the main thing to get out of this thread is that different players develop at different rates and sometimes require a lot of luck to go their way, to get the right breaks. In Herrera's case, it was a change of manager.

Nuts

DDG took a season to bed in. Forlan improved over his time with United. Carrick definitely improved with age.
Agree with DDG but goalkeepers are sort of different. Forlan never improved and I think Carrick's game is great but more or less what he's been doing for many years.

GBBQ

I am old enough to have seen Forlan play and I can tell you that he did not improve. He kept missing chances for the short time he was with us.
The manager gave him chance after chance to show what he could do, but his scoring rate was similar to that of our current attackers. While Jose seems to accept this, Fergie didn't and for the reason, he was sold.
I think he scored about 10 league goals in 2.5 years he was with us.

Bizarrely, before he joined us and after he left, he was prolific. Perhaps the pressure of playing for MUFC got to him.
I'm 33 so I well remember him playing too! It's hardly the busby babes era. He was never great at United but for the first season he couldn't buy shoal but he definitely improved in his second season. Granted his time at Atletico eclipses all that.

SAFicus

DDG came to us as a considerably young keeper and his bedding in was to adjust to the physicality of the league. Wouldn't say he is a "late developer" at all given the talent was already quite clear even in his first season.
The OP named Shaw and Martial, two players who are quite comparable to DDG in this sense.

lysglimt

Scout
Paul Ince was fairly anonymous for a few seasons and turned into a beast once he got the midfield to himself

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Darren Fletcher. Technically not a signing, but I remember not rating him much for at least his first three years, yet he eventually turned in to a brilliant player.
Was going to say Fletch. Took ages to get there but was unreal for a while.
I am old enough to have seen Forlan play
How long ago do you think he played? Most on here will remember him.

IhabX7

I was about to say that.
He was always viewed as a bit of a one trick pony.
Then came the alleged fued with Van Nistelrooy, one of them had to go......and the rest is history..!
You should finish that.. "..by people who don't know their arse from their elbow."

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Cristiano Ronaldo
Was so young when he came though, he was still outstanding for a teenager. But he did have a blip around the age Martial is. At one point he was visibly getting better literally every week so he is a decent example in my opinion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Noone mentioned David de Gea yet ? :)
It was pretty much immediately obvious how good De Gea was to anyone that didn't listen to the media inexplicably getting on his back so much. A lot of people started repeating it and it became a thing.

Ronaldo my arse. You can see who got their opinions from MOTD here.
Innit. As with above on that.
Wasn't as obvious that he was going to be very very good from the offset, but visibly improved so quickly and consistently it didn't matter and soon became apparent anyway. Hardly a late developer.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Although it was obvious from a young age that he was talented and loved doing tricks on the pitch, there was little end product. It took him 3-4 seasons before he was prolific.
The one thing that this doesn't include is age. He did start at a very young age and by 22, he was firing on all cylinders.
So, technically, he was a slow starter who improved quite dramatically.
Nice one, I accused people of taking their opinions from MOTD and you go and use their exact phrase. Repeated every saturday night. By idiots.

Ajax Treesdown

A lot of our hopes and plans for 17/18 are reliant on players who've been at the club a while suddenly stepping up. We absolutely need Shaw and Martial, for example, to mature and start delivering consistent performances this season for our squad to make sense and look good.

I think we're relying too much on players who've not got the record at this level to suddenly step up.

Can anyone think of a Fergie-era signing who developed late? I can't think of a player off the top of my head who stepped up in their third season and gave us something so significantly different over the course of a season from what had gone before.

Same goes for Phil Jones and Mhikitaryan.
How can Martial be classed at a late developer when he is only 21. As with the de sea scenario the talent is definitely there hence the reason we parted with so much money for him. He will come good. I think his potential ceiling talent wise is as high as anyone else we could sign right now. He has had good pre season and wondering if he has shown Jose enough that he doesn't feel we need another winger for wide left. Rotate Martial and Rashford and give them both the minutes they need to develop.

Ajax Treesdown

In Carrick's first couple of seasons, he used to infuriate those around me at OT.

He definitely struggled initially to play with Scholes, more with the weight of expectation than anything and playing next to him. He took a backseat and let Scholes do the work, which meant he looked like he was shirking responsibility. He was guilty of too much sideways and backwards passing - never a popular choice at OT.

He grew into the role and then eventually when Scholes was phased out he had to learn to hold the United midfield on his own. Which he achieved.
He was never a popular choice at Old Trafford until Scholes retired and then fans started to warm to him. It used to really annoy me when fans were getting on his back for trying to make a eye of the needle type pass to make something happen if he gave it away, but then were equally disgruntled if he passed sideways. Was a strange one for me always rated him even back then.

meamth

surprised by De Gea in this,
He was relatively very young, bloomed steadily as he was into a world class goalkeeper. That wasn't late, that was steady.

I guess the term "late bloomer" is player who shines at the latter stage of their career, becoming an instant key player at 27-35.

Late bloomer would be Fletcher?
He was as dull as Cleverley for few seasons, 22 appearances in 2003/2004 season. Remember during that time people we're bashing him to be a failed beckham successor,
loathed, hated, frustrating to watch.
then started to become more integral to the team for the next 7 season until 2010/2011. Particularly 2009-2011, he was the player who started in all the big games when fit.
Immense player before he got that disease :(.

There are none other that comes to mind other than Fletcher though,
Carrick wasn't a late bloomer, he was integral the moment we signed him, According to Sir Alex, Carrick was a player that will shine late every season (underrated since then).
But after Scholes left, he was already a player with great consistency, no longer needed to get some form.

Ronaldo? no he was a young exciting player.
Nani? good shout. He was important at some point of his latter career.
Rojo? shit first season, great 2nd season.
Martial? great first season, average 2nd season.

Last edited:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Martial has already showed what he is capable in 2015-16 season.

Re thread, Fletcher?
Agreed on Martial, last season was more like second season syndrome, plus maybe Mourinho not getting best from him individually. Martial had to adapt his game a lot.

Parry Gallister

Tony V, had a good season or two in his time as a winger (even a great one irrc) but has bloomed since joining the defence.

Cantona'sCollar

Tony V, had a good season or two in his time as a winger (even a great one irrc) but has bloomed since joining the defence.
Not really. He was as good an RW as he is an RB right now, until he got the 7 shirt in 12/13 (which he said he never wanted). 09/10, 10/11 (before and after the injury) he was very, very good. The best winger in England after Nani, alongside Malouda. 11/12 he was as good as any winger in the entire world, and won our POTY for it. That 11/12 Valencia still beats any other season from him, but agreed, he has recovered from his drop in form and transformed himself as a defender.

Fletcher, Carrick (who was always very good, but improved over time, especially since Scholes has been phased out), Evra, Vidic, VDS (who was still very good when he signed), Berbatov (inconsistent in his first, average in his second, the best striker in England in his third), Rojo, Park (always good, but became a vital player after an average 07/08), Nani I can think of. Rio was always a great player but only truly become WC in the 06/07 season, and continued to improve for several years (09/10 was his worst season, and 10/11 and 12/13 were two of his best).

Last edited: