g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Learning little things in football that make you feel ancient

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I only know I cannot lift weights as I used to when I was 22-30; now it's 3 days per week, maximum, and carefully (and not many reps).
I'm 40 lift weights for years felt crap through drinking too much. But recently got into cardio bike and is best thing I've done in years feel better in every way.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'm 37. What's made me old is having kids. Since that happened I can't get out and exercise as much, can't get to the gym. I'll get back to it eventually but it's hard.
I do it at home. Got a rack with plate weights with bench plus a good exercise bike can do most of it without the noise of the gym which I can't take being mildly autistic. Got 2 boys and baby girl born yesterday.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I do it at home. Got a rack with plate weights with bench plus a good exercise bike can do most of it without the noise of the gym which I can't take being mildly autistic. Got 2 boys and baby girl born yesterday.
Congratulations man!! But why the feck are you on the Caf then? :lol:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I'm 40 lift weights for years felt crap through drinking too much. But recently got into cardio bike and is best thing I've done in years feel better in every way.
Glad to read that; I'm a recreational drinker myself after drinking "too much" in my late '20s...

fergies coat

I was 15 years old when we won the treble in 1999, (23 years ago) it doesn't feel that long ago and the game seems pretty much the same, but if you go back 23 years from 1999 it's 1976, and the game was completely different. Why does it feel like this?

15 year olds now will feel like 1999 is ancient, just like I did about 1976 and that just feels weird.

Last edited:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I was 15 years old when we won the treble in 1999, (23 years ago) it doesn't feel that long ago and the game seems pretty much the same, but if you go back 23 years from 1999 it's 1976, and the game was completely different. Why does it feel like this?
Professionalism. Better training/diet/habits/fitness/cardio; better stadiums/pitches.

Withnail

Professionalism. Better training/diet/habits/fitness/cardio; better stadiums/pitches.
Yeah the game was much slower back then. I remember my da, who's not much of a sports fan, seeing a game in the late 90s after not having seen football in about 20 years and he was shocked at the pace of the game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just discovered that Shaun Wright-Phillips' son D'Margio is a senior pro who broke through this year at Stoke City. His dad was still yong and lernin in my head when he was winding down his career at QPR, which again in my head was about two or three years ago, not seven (he moved to them first nearly 10 years ago now).

D'Margio isn't even a prodigy breaking through ahead of schedule, he'll be 21 at the start of next season. Don't like this. Don't like this at all.
You should see D'Margio's son, Yonglern, the best 12 year old in the country. Also, we young people of today do not use "yong" and "lernin" in a non-ironic way.

Charles Miller

I would get really angry when the tv weekly mstch of Italian Serie A was not Napoli with Maradona and Careca.

Counterfactual

What a game that was, didn`t Wright come on as a late sub and score twice to take it to extra time and a replay. The end of Jim Leighton and Les Sealey had his moment of glory.
That's right. We were winning 2-1 when Wright came on. He equalised to forced extra time then scored another in extra time. Thankfully Hughes scored to make it 3-3 and force the replay. Dropping Leighton for the replay was so ballsy. The guy had been with Ferguson since Aberdeen.

Trequarista10

Anthony Elanga’s dad was born same day as me. Makes me think I may never get to play for United
Never stop believing. I hear United scouts occasionally attend seniors 5 a side leagues to spot unearthed talent.

CallyRed

Goal celebrations have also evolved (or regressed in some people's eyes). Back in those days a goal was usually celebrated with a jump in the air, arms aloft or a good old fashioned handshake.

No knee sliding, dabbing, funky hand shakes or dancing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Had a proper old man yells at cloud moment watching the Youth Cup final and noticing that every single last white player on the pitch had the exact same haircut. Fecking kids these days.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I like how most people in here are in their late 30's.. But does it make us middle aged people?. Hands up who suffers from aches and pains and is in this age bracket!. I'm 37.5 and nursing a trapped nerve from almost 2 weeks ago now so I'm definitely old :lol:
Ohh yes!! I'm 35 and most days I usually have some sort of ache. Yesterday I struggled to get out of the car as my back was completely gone, I had to crawl out FFS :lol:

Kopral Jono

Seeing that all of our academy players now weren't even alive for the treble. Soon, we'll have players who never saw the double either!
To think I was already a teenager back then... crazy. At times it all still feels like it was yesterday to me.

fps

Congratulations, sensational!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The new start in my team is a Leeds fan who has been "told" about the rivalry with us. Doesn't remember it, just knows about it through his dad who is a United (the proper one) fan.

He says one of his earliest football memories is the United-Chelsea CL final.

We had a competition to see who could jump the highest from a standing start and I beat him. Made me feel less of an old man for about twenty seconds then I realised my knee was fecked and I hobbled about the rest of the day. Prick.

Harold_Giles

We signed Cristiano Ronaldo 19 years ago.
Jesus.
Still remember very well how fecking excited I was when he came on for his debut against Bolton.
I wasn't used to see such flair and trickery, it was ridiculous.

Red Stone

Feck, this thread is depressing...

For those in their early 30s or younger like myself, Lionel Messi, born in 1987, is still the youngest Ballon d'Or winner to date. Probable next winner Benzema is younger than Messi, but still born in '87. Hope that helps some of you feel less like a geriatric bastard after reading this thread.

As someone born in late 1991, it's hard to tell who will be the first player younger than I am to win the thing. The two players currently battling it out are Lewandowski and Benzema, both younger than Messi, but older than myself. Neymar and Mbappe both looked set to take over the crown after Messi and Ronaldo at some point, but I can't see either of them winning it at PSG. Maybe Haaland if he proves to be the missing piece for City in the Champions League next year? There's actually a chance that no player born in the '90s will ever win the Ballon d'Or, which is pretty wild.