Film Leave The World Behind (Netflix)

Big Andy

Bloke
Watched this before, heard it was great.

It built up the suspense and mystery, but then it just ended.

It was fecking shite, the reason for the animals being weird was never explained, nor really why the planes and Teslas were crashing.

Still, at least that girl got to watch Friends

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The animals I'll give you though it was alluded to with a "they can sense when someone is wrong" even though that made no sense in this instance.

The other two things were explained though.

I quite enjoyed it although the girl and her Friends obsession was annoying. All the children were annoying actually so standard Hollywood there.

Cole9

I thought it was ok. A bit too long though and then the ending was too abrupt.

The scene when they were shouting at the deers was hilariously bad :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought it was ok. A bit too long though and then the ending was too abrupt.

The scene when they were shouting at the deers was hilariously bad :lol:
Yeah that was like something out of an M Night Shymalon film :lol:

I liked it overall, though.

Nickosaur

It was fine. Most interesting thing about it was the spiraling/panning shots etc.

RORY65

It looked better than most of the crap on Netflix and it had proper movie stars in it which was good, the movie itself was just fine though.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It was fine. Most interesting thing about it was the spiraling/panning shots etc.
I remain baffled how they did some of the inside/outside spiral shots. Really great editing I'm assuming, as it makes it feel like the camera passes through the wall/window.

To the plot, felt like it should have been another 'episode' worth to resolve. Anyone read the book, does it end any better?

Massive Spanner

if you enjoyed the cinematography I recommend watching the tv show Mr. Robot, also by Esmail. Very similar style and far better than this.

Bobade

This isn't very eloquent, but it was one of those films that is simultaneously both good and shit.

The general tension and dread was spot on, and I didn't mind the confusion regarding what was happening, as that was kind of the point of the film. The spiral/panning shots were nicely done but a bit overused?

Was the acting supposed to be a little bit...off? Particularly at the start it felt like a less extreme version of the Lobster or Killing of a Sacred Deer. Also seemed a bit ridiculous how Julia Roberts was one minute being racist, then the next falling in love with Mahershala Ali.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Started well. Nice cineamatograhy. Good cast. Went nowhere with lots of unexplained plot threads and a meh end.

Cole9

To the plot, felt like it should have been another 'episode' worth to resolve. Anyone read the book, does it end any better?

*** BOOK SPOILER ***
I haven’t read it, but apparently the end of the book is that the daughter finds the bunker and grabs some supplies to take back to her family, and that’s about it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
*** BOOK SPOILER ***
I haven’t read it, but apparently the end of the book is that the daughter finds the bunker and grabs some supplies to take back to her family, and that’s about it.
Thanks. So weird.
There are just about enough breadcrumbs that everyone should make it into the bunker too (in the film): the ladies are moving towards before getting distracted by a minor nuclear explosion (side note, if it's an internal conflict, who the hell is bombing NYC?) and the men have been told about it by Kevin Bacon. But would it have killed such an overly long film as a simple pan shot that it loves so much of the house, with the recognisable car zooming up and the girls running out of the woods towards the house? Easy.

Final bit: the boy being the only who gets havana syndrome is just weird.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just had something pop up on my news feed about a glaring plot hole in the film...

How does Julia Roberts daughter react when she sees her mum stealing Chandler's pants on that episode of friends. :lol:

Bloody good point.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Just had something pop up on my news feed about a glaring plot hole in the film...

How does Julia Roberts daughter react when she sees her mum stealing Chandler's pants on that episode of friends. :lol:

Bloody good point.
The explananation:
Sam Esmail, the director and producer of the new smash hit apocalyptic thriller, said he wasn't scared of fans reaction to the supposed plot hole in Leave the World Behind - while adding that even if the world was ending, the Friends theme song would still put a smile on your face.
He told The Messenger: "In this universe, Julia Roberts is not playing Amanda. There's just Rose's mom, Amanda Sanford. And on the show, she sees Julia Roberts, and maybe she has a passing resemblance to her mom, but because it's her mom, she probably doesn't think twice about it.
"So that's my weird, meta-convoluted explanation for it. But, in reality, when Julia read the script, of course, I was so curious about her reaction, and, ultimately, I think we all smile every time we realized the connection. In that way, emotionally, it even adds to the satisfaction."

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I liked the book. Will the movie disappoint me?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Was looking like a great film then wallop just ended complete shite. Must have missed something and god knows what.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Was looking like a great film then wallop just ended complete shite. Must have missed something and god knows what.
Nope. Didn't explain the Havana syndrome/teeth falling out for just one character, didn't explain the animal's behaviour, didn't explain why planes were crashing in one spot and didn't explain what the attack on NY was about, although Kevin bacon's character seemed to only exists to hint that it was an internal coup attempt (but why then bomb NY with a tactical nuke - if that was what the explosion was)? All very irritatingly unexplained and pointless.

It also started by hinting that race was a factor in Julia Robert's character not trusting the home owners story. Then that just went away and they became very good friends. Weird and pointless.

Oh yes. And why did the owners have to stay in the basement when it was a huge house, presumably with lots of bedrooms?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nope. Didn't explain the Havana syndrome/teeth falling out for just one character, didn't explain the animal's behaviour, didn't explain why planes were crashing in one spot and didn't explain what the attack on NY was about, although Kevin bacon's character seemed to only exists to hint that it was an internal coup attempt (but why then bomb NY with a tactical nuke - if that was what the explosion was)? All very irritatingly unexplained and pointless.

It also started by hinting that race was a factor in Julia Robert's character not trusting the home owners story. Then that just went away and they became very good friends. Weird and pointless.

Oh yes. And why did the owners have to stay in the basement when it was a huge house, presumably with lots of bedrooms?
It's not pointless at all though. Ali's character explains that for the 3 step scenario to be successful, the society it targets needs to be sufficiently fecked up to finish the work itself. The racial tension and the general state of US society was clearly the aim of the underlying criticism of the film.

I weirdly enjoyed it in that it doesn't try to resolve so much and hints at chaos and mayhem, without underlying its points too much. It's surprisingly subtle for something by the creator of the grotesque Mr Robot. The overarching paranoia is still there, though.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It's not pointless at all though. Ali's character explains that for the 3 step scenario to be successful, the society it targets needs to be sufficiently fecked up to finish the work itself. The racial tension and the general state of US society was clearly the aim of the underlying criticism of the film.

I weirdly enjoyed it in that it doesn't try to resolve so much and hints at chaos and mayhem, without underlying its points too much. It's surprisingly subtle for something by the creator of the grotesque Mr Robot. The overarching paranoia is still there, though.
Mr. Robot is many things but grotesque is an odd word to describe it. What's your thinking behind that? Is it down your clearly smooth brain?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yawn inducing nonsense though and then why end the film with so many conflicting and unexplained and unresolved plot lines. ? Plus if that was what happened who nuked NY (assuming that was a nuke) and why? Planes crashing in a single spot, animals behaving oddly, the kid's teeth falling out when everyone else was ok, all very odd and totally unexplained. An ambiguous ending can be great e.g. Blade Runner but it can also be because the makers have no idea how to end it or what is really going on e.g. this film and The Sopranos.

Started well but in the end a watchable disappointment for me and Mrs Wibble liked it even less.

Last edited:

Yawn inducing nonsense though and then why end the film with so many conflicting and unexplained and unresolved plot lines. ? Plus if that was what happened who nuked NY (assuming that was a nuke) and why? Planes crashing in a single spot, animals behaving oddly, the kid's teeth falling out when everyone else was ok, all very odd and totally unexplained. An ambiguous ending can be great e.g. Blade Runner but it can also be because the makers have no idea how to end it or what is really going on e.g. this film and The Sopranos.

Started well but in the end a watchable disappointment for me and Mrs Wibble liked it even less.
He was the only one who got bit by a tick thing. I just assumed that was the reason

Massive Spanner

Mr Robot is amazing you weirdo

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I'm more surprised I persevered till the end.
Never thought Julia roberts was a good actor. There's just so much that doesn't make sense. The shed scene was the dumbest

Roosney

A bit like Lost in a film format: pointless random cool stuff thrown together just because.

The tension was building well but that's the only good part here.
The camera angles and panning got old pretty fast. And the vaping/bonding scenes ffs.

All in all it felt like a few groups of film academy students were given a task to try new cool stuff without knowing what others were doing and then slap it all together.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

I have no issues with you not enjoying the unexplained/unexplainable elements, that's fine, but that's not what I was answering to so no idea why you went on a mini-rant about those elements. I was responding to the barely veiled racism exhibited by Roberts's character which was important to the plot.
Mr Robot is amazing you weirdo
Meh, didn't enjoy it, I guess not liking the same stuff as you makes me a weirdo with your impeccable taste.

There were some nice ideas in Mr Robot but it became a caricature quite quickly, had a lot of shitty acting (I have no time for Rami "one tone" Malek), and became quite boring.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I should have twigged how bad it was going to get from the oil tanker scene.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Was an ok film that just simmered throughout but failed to boil over with a bit of a lame ending. Reminded me a little bit of 'Knock At The Cabin'.

Cole9

Was an ok film that just simmered throughout but failed to boil over with a bit of a lame ending. Reminded me a little bit of 'Knock At The Cabin'.
Same, I preferred that over this though.