Film Leave The World Behind (Netflix)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I have no issues with you not enjoying the unexplained/unexplainable elements, that's fine, but that's not what I was answering to so no idea why you went on a mini-rant about those elements. I was responding to the barely veiled racism exhibited by Roberts's character which was important to the plot.

Meh, didn't enjoy it, I guess not liking the same stuff as you makes me a weirdo with your impeccable taste.

There were some nice ideas in Mr Robot but it became a caricature quite quickly, had a lot of shitty acting (I have no time for Rami "one tone" Malek), and became quite boring.
Have you ever considered not being a monster?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I have no issues with you not enjoying the unexplained/unexplainable elements, that's fine, but that's not what I was answering to so no idea why you went on a mini-rant about those elements. I was responding to the barely veiled racism exhibited by Roberts's character which was important to the plot.
Rant? :lol:

And that was an irritant as it just disappeared.

Meh, didn't enjoy it, I guess not liking the same stuff as you makes me a weirdo with your impeccable taste.
The later bit is indisputable I think. And the former is at least possible. After all you like Kubrick. :angel:

There were some nice ideas in Mr Robot but it became a caricature quite quickly, had a lot of shitty acting (I have no time for Rami "one tone" Malek), and became quite boring.
I quite like season one but never got past the first episode or two of season 2.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Apparently some of the paintings in the background changed a lot to add to the tension.

Felt it built the tension very well but then didn't answer many questions.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Apparently some of the paintings in the background changed a lot to add to the tension.

Felt it built the tension very well but then didn't answer many questions.
THANK YOU. I noticed and mentioend to hte missus and she thought I was crazy. Why'd they do that?!

AjaxNL

Thought it was pretty shit to be fair... the actual plot is paper thin, because they choose to focus on the interaction between the characters and they did that badly. Still, it does manage to build up quite some suspense. In the end, all suspense, no substance film for me

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im in the camp of " it was pretty shit"
I bet it only took a couple of weeks to film and the cast looked at the crap script and thought well the money makes up for it.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I looked at some reviews on Google earlier and it seems that there’s a campaign against this film as most negative reviews are cut & paste of one review that hates the movie.
Or maybe it’s all cos of the Obama’s, the exec producers of this movie.

I just finished watching it. It could have been so much better.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just finished this. I liked it. No issue with plot holes at all and thought the whole sense of dread throughout was bang on. Plus the camerawork and sound design was excellent. The teeth scene freaked me the feck out, that’s sort of a phobia of mine. I also liked the ending. Some of the dialogue and acting was a bit ropy at times. That would be my only real criticism. Otherwise one of the better Netflix films I’ve watched.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Im in the camp of " it was pretty shit"
I bet it only took a couple of weeks to film and the cast looked at the crap script and thought well the money makes up for it.
Agreed. I still don't understand why plane were crashing in the same spot. It was also annoying the way racism was so obviously flagged in the early parts of the the film and then just ignored more or less.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Agreed. I still don't understand why plane were crashing in the same spot. It was also annoying the way racism was so obviously flagged in the early parts of the the film and then just ignored more or less.
Such a strange thing to get bothered about. Maybe that bit of coast was under a flight path and whatever technology caused the planes to drop out of the sky was activated from the same spot?

As for the racism, there was a whole scene of exposition about that. It originally looked as though she was being racist but in that long discussion in the shed she explained that she just distrusts and dislikes everyone. And, ironically, it turned out the girl who thought she was being racist has a similar world view “that’s where our Venn diagram’s overlap” And that innate distrust of strangers was a recurring theme (see also the woman speaking Spanish who was left to fend for herself) and integral to the plot. Which was all about America tearing itself apart, with citizen turning on citizen as soon as society started to break down.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Such a strange thing to get bothered about. Maybe that bit of coast was under a flight path and whatever technology caused the planes to drop out of the sky was activated from the same spot?

As for the racism, there was a whole scene of exposition about that. It originally looked as though she was being racist but in that long discussion in the shed she explained that she just distrusts and dislikes everyone. And, ironically, it turned out the girl who thought she was being racist has a similar world view “that’s where our Venn diagram’s overlap” And that innate distrust of strangers was a recurring theme (see also the woman speaking Spanish who was left to fend for herself) and integral to the plot. Which was all about America tearing itself apart, with citizen turning on citizen as soon as society started to break down.
I know but the plane bit was just so dumb without an exclamation. Nearly as stupid as the unexplained teeth thing.

And the "I'm not a racist as I hate everyone" bit was equally annoying as was the blind acceptance of that.

Picking bits that were dumb and annoying is probably pointless as I just didn't enjoy it at all so the worst bits are bound to stay in the mind.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I know but it was so dumb without an exclamation it was really stupid. Nearly as stupid as the unexplained teeth thing.

And the "I'm not a racist as I hate everyone" bit was equally annoying as was the blind acceptance of that.

Picking bits that were dumb and annoying is probably pointless as I just didn't enjoy it at all so the worst bits are bound to stay in the mind.
The teeth thing was a punishment for masturbating and being a perv.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I know but the plane bit was just so dumb without an exclamation. Nearly as stupid as the unexplained teeth thing.

Fair point. I do that all the time. Getting hung up on plot holes in movies I dislike that I would happily let slide in a film that strikes a chord with me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I thought it was a good watch, better than the usual mediocre Netflix films.

I enjoyed it as much as Don't Look Up