Leeds United vs. Manchester United

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Starting XI:

Bench: Amos, Evans, Thorpe, Fletcher, James, Macheda, Diouf

- I really hope Pogba starts the game.
- Ferdinand, Vidic & Smalling are injured therefore i think we will start only with Jones or Evans.

Prediction: 1-3 (Becchio - Owen, Berbatov, Pogba)

Drainy

Looking forward to seeing how the team gets on, particularly the younger lads.
Just praying for no more defensive injuries though. Stoke away could be a nightmare if we are light at the back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Amazing how Giggsy could play along side a few kids who were born after he made his first team debut.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Article on guardian:
Forty years of hurt add spice to Manchester United's trip to Leeds
The festering rivalry between these two clubs should guarantee that this match is an experience to remember

Alex Ferguson presents Eric Cantona, signed from Leeds, to the press on 27 November 1992. Photograph: Malcolm Croft/PA Archive/Press Association
Manchester United return to Elland Road in the Carling Cup on Tuesday night for the first time in eight years to renew a rivalry that remains among the fiercest in Europe. Following Leeds United's relegation in 2004, the two sides have met only once, in an FA Cup tie at Old Trafford in January 2010 when the visitors, then of League One, incongruously registered their first away victory against Manchester United since 1981, at the 18th attempt.

Before that match, Sir Alex Ferguson spoke wistfully about the long absence of Leeds from his side's fixture list. "I don't have to spell out what Leeds have meant to Manchester United over the years," he said. "It would be a fantastic, feisty occasion every time we met. It always carried a degree of hostility. I used to enjoy the games. The atmosphere was always electric."

It may have been electric inside the ground but outside it was often malignant. Antagonism and violence between the two sets of supporters first flared during an ill-tempered FA Cup semi-final draw at Hillsborough in 1965. Leeds were second in the First Division, Manchester United third and both sides had the Double in their sights. A foul-strewn draw ended with skirmishes outside the ground and in the streets of Nottingham four days later when Leeds got through to their first FA Cup final after Billy Bremner's 89th-minute winner in the replay at the City Ground.

They were defeated at Wembley by Liverpool and surrendered the league championship to Manchester United on goal average, having lost what turned out to be a title-decider in April at Elland Road, when John Connelly scored the game's only goal.

Leeds held the upper hand in head-to-head encounters over the next decade, losing only two of 21 matches, but all bar their 5-1 trouncing of Frank O'Farrell's side in 1972 were tight affairs and the tension exacerbated the malevolence. The Yorkshire Evening Post recorded a number of arrests for fighting when the two met in the early 1970s, yet by the time of Manchester United's return to the top-flight in 1975 after a year in Division Two, "hooliganism" and "carnage" became more apt descriptions.

In 1977 they were pitted together again at Hillsborough in an FA Cup semi-final and so many Manchester United fans obtained tickets in Leeds sections that punches outnumbered shots on goal. By the early 1980s the atmosphere had become so febrile, and so regular were the attempts to make the opposition supporters lose face by turning on their heels and running away, that Greater Manchester police and their West Yorkshire counterparts must have breathed a sigh of relief when Leeds were relegated in 1982.

When Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen left Leeds for Old Trafford in 1978, the bad feeling deteriorated further, exacerbated by McQueen's parting shot: "Ask all the players in the country which club they would like to join and 99% would say 'Manchester United'. The other 1% would be liars." For the next four years, Leeds fans appropriated the Jilted John song to serenade the pair with "Jordan is a moron" and "Gordon is a moron" and both still got stick whenever they went to Elland Road more than 30 years later, despite being title winners with Leeds and failing to repeat that success across the Pennines.

Eric Cantona, Rio Ferdinand and Alan Smith subsequently followed in their footsteps and receive equal billing with the two Scots on the "Judas" T-shirts sold from stalls outside the ground. Cantona's departure in 1992 was a particularly hard blow to take, the Frenchman becoming an adored talisman at Old Trafford who almost immediately ruined the Leeds fans' boast that they had won the title three times since Manchester United's last championship, in 1967. His returns to Elland Road were not always successful but those matches were memorable for the sheer volume of spite he attracted and the manner in which he seemed to revel in it.

It was both exciting and terrifying to attend these matches over three decades but they were not without humour. When Cantona sounded the death knell for the man who sold him, Howard Wilkinson, with a magnificent performance as the architect of a 4-0 victory in September 1996, it was the Manchester United fans who began singing "Wilko for City" to the beleaguered manager, who was sacked the following Monday morning, and Leeds supporters applauded the wit and sentiment.

Other songs have had a longer shelf life and despite Leeds's long exile from the Premier League, they usually get a mention whenever Manchester United play, "we all hate Leeds scum" even getting an airing during the Champions League final at Wembley when Reds' supporters had significantly bigger fish to fry.

Ferguson, though, has been less partisan, proving by his attendance at the funerals of Leeds's two greatest players, Billy Bremner and John Charles, that his kind of tribalism first pays honour to the tribe of football men. He says he misses Leeds and that a match played in the intimidating atmosphere at Elland Road is a beneficial experience for his young players. Beneficial or not, more than 40 years of festering rivalry should guarantee that even though it is the oft-maligned Carling Cup, it will, at least, be an experience to remember.

prateik

I thought this was on tomorrow. Probably because we played on Sunday

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Have we got a confirmed travelling squad yet?

Harold_Giles

Have we got a confirmed travelling squad yet?
Man Utd (from): Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Jones, Evans, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Owen, Berbatov, Macheda, Diouf, Pogba, W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, Fryers.

Harold_Giles

Which youngsters are most likely to feature?

Tbh I'm not even sure I've heard of Thorpe or Fryers.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Man Utd (from): Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Jones, Evans, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Owen, Berbatov, Macheda, Diouf, Pogba, W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, Fryers.
Where's that from?

Ole90+3

It would be nice to see Macheda tonight; really don't want us to lose this lad.
There's definite potential there but when will he get the chance to fulfill it? With Rooney still young and a guaranteed started for basically the rest of his United career, then Welbeck and Hernandez still very young, and looking like having a very bright United future together. When will Kiko get the opportunity to get a good run in the side?

This is ignoring the fact we still have a top class striker in Berbatov in our ranks.

Still a bit confused as to why he wasn't loaned out to a Premiership, or even Championship club this season.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
There's definite potential there but when will he get the chance to fulfill it? With Rooney still young and a guaranteed started for basically the rest of his United career, then Welbeck and Hernandez still very young, and looking like having a very bright United future together. When will Kiko get the opportunity to get a good run in the side?

This is ignoring the fact we still have a top class striker in Berbatov in our ranks.

Still a bit confused as to why he wasn't loaned out to a Premiership, or even Championship club this season.
I know SAF is a bit of a striker muppet but the numbers in that area are bordering on absurd, when are Diouf or Macheda going to play this year? The golden boot winner is having to make do with sub appearances so what chance do those two stand? I can't believe there were no takers for them on loan; I'm sure a team like Newcastle would have been delighted to have a player like Macheda.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
its the carling cup so im expecting to see berba tonight, maybe to come on with 10 minutes to go to rest either macheda or owen but yep hw should be on at some point

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
09:40 One of the papers has trotted out the 'new Patrick Vieira' line for Paul Pogba ahead of his expected debut at Elland Road. This is what the boss had to say on that very subject recently: "Well, he's the same height! Vieira was a great player and the boy's only 18. What was Patrick like at 18? Playing centre-half at Cannes wasn't he? Then he emerged as a midfield player at Milan. Pobga does have great physique, is athletic, has good control and he could be a surprise for us." (AM)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I know SAF is a bit of a striker muppet but the numbers in that area are bordering on absurd, when are Diouf or Macheda going to play this year? The golden boot winner is having to make do with sub appearances so what chance do those two stand? I can't believe there were no takers for them on loan; I'm sure a team like Newcastle would have been delighted to have a player like Macheda.
When you look at the strikers on the books its amazing. Rooney Hernandez Berbatov Owen Welbeck Diouf Kiko King Cofie Keane....I think Sir Alex wants to have a look because I doubt in the last 30 years we've had it that good. The young ones are all good players too. I think that's part of the 'problem' - if Sir Alex looks 2/3 years down the line...it's a great problem to have. They might all fail (would be incredible) but the fact they've all grown up together, is a huge advantage. I think Sir Alex keeps rewriting the manual somewhat.

Hans Moleman

Any youth experts here got any insider info on W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, and Fryers? Positions? Prospects? Favourite albums?

Kaos

If we weren't playing again this weekend I would have loved to have fielded a full strength team and obliterated these cnuts on their own turf.

jb8521

Any youth experts here got any insider info on W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, and Fryers? Positions? Prospects? Favourite albums?
W Keane striker bit of a mix between sheringham and solskjaer top scorer for the academy the past 2 seasons excellent finisher and great first touch. James central midfielder who is a very good long range passer and shooter and sound defensively maybe lacking a bit of pace. Did very well on loan at Preston until he got a bad injury last November/ December and only really returning now. Brown central defender/right back/defensive midfielder excellent athlete and strong tackler like his brother sometimes lacking in concentration. M Keane played most of his academy football at right back but has played centre defence this season for the reserves after growing about a foot in the past 18 months. Making very good progress this season. Thorpe central defender and captain of the youth cup winning team. Very natural defender who is strong in the air and has good positional sensevand tends to make a lot of blocks. Fryers played most of his academy football at left back but has switched to central defence for the reserves this season. A very good athlete with a lot of pace and a good left foot. Has missed a lot of football through injuries but has started to fulfil his early promise which saw him play for englands under age teams

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Will Keane is an exceptional player - both footed, good in the air & has a bitta pace for someone his size & gangliness. He reminds me of Berbabtov - only with more pace. Superb prospect & seems to have a great attitude!

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
The press in Leeds are very excited about tonight.

The front page headline in Saturday's YEP was "Yorkshire brass band eliminated from competition"

Staggering stuff.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
i miss the big united v leeds games of old when it was competitive between us, now when we face leeds in a cup competition we would of course never dream of fielding the first team against them, oh how times change!

Laphroaig

The little I've seen of and heard about Thorpe is very promising. Any chance for a start for him today, given our defensive injury woes? I suppose it's too early.

Havak

Pokemon master
SSN are reporting that Gibson is fit and has travelled, in line to start. Pogba in line to start.

I wouldn't take this too seriously, though.

kps88

I'd take that more seriously than TeamTalk's match squad.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
SOP Streams and the odd flash my homepage again