Kick-off
Sun, 12 February 2023 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Prodigy24

Given Maguire's starting, I'm sure that we are not going to be passing the ball around the defence for too much, so I expect different tactics from the manager. That could potentially interrupt Leeds plan and be for our advantage. Or it could backfire massively.

G-manc

What would be really sensible is to play Maguire who sh*ts himself under the slightest bit of pressure in the liveliest away ground in the league.

avgp_1

Given Maguire's starting, I'm sure that we are not going to be passing the ball around the defence for too much, so I expect different tactics from the manager. That could potentially interrupt Leeds plan and be for our advantage. Or it could backfire massively.
    It's quite possible that we could play a lot more direct today

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
    Leeds did well against us midweek but any element of surprise with their caretaker has now gone. You can fool anyone once but I don't expect anyone to catch Erik out twice within 4 days. I think it'll be a comfortable win by a couple of goals.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    The line up matches exactly the one leaked about an hour ago, what’s going on there? Thought we were past this shit.
    It's a leak in the PL rather than the team itself. Nothing we can do if they hand in the team sheet and somebody decides to tweet it.

Von Mistelroum

Looks a bit like one of those teams where in a few years you look back and laugh. The defence is scary and Weghorst seems like he'll be looked back on as a bit of a "lol remember that whole weird thing?"

Anustart89

I know Varane didn't take very good care of the ball against Leeds last time out, but seeing Maguire from start against anything remotely close to the press they applied last time is making me shit my pants.

Darkhorsez

I know we have a lot of 1st team missing but this is a team ar the foot of the table and whilst they play well at times, their biggest issue is scoring. Their 1st goal was a bad lapse and the second one was a bit lucky. If we have the right frame of mind, we have enough talent to win even if it will be a narrow one.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
    I do think yesterday’s results has had an influence on ETH’s lineup. We had to find a match where we can rest some key players. ETH probably decided this is the one because even if we drop points it’s not disasterous based on other results.
    I don’t think so.
    Shaw and malacia will play these positions against Barca and this is getting them sharp there, resting varane for Maguire needs to be done sometimes.

I’m sure he knows what he’s doing, full confidence

Dannn411

Are Martinez and Varane injured or ill or something? How is this the game he chooses to rest and rotate?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Martinez too. Which is the biggest surprise. He doesn’t play against Barca.
    Yeah but the logic there is he's not playing vs Barca so might as well give sharpness to Shaw as a CB and Malacia at LB? So I don't see it as dropped, more just getting the starters for the next game sharpness. Only Varane rested/dropped. Leeds' game plan was let Varane play out from the back as Varane is safe on the ball and doesn't try much... Can't do the same vs Maguire, for all his faults, he is much more adventurous in his passing.

It's not surprising at all that the game before Martinez is suspended, Shaw comes back at LCB and Malacia at LB. So for me it's really just Varane and Casemiro to come in the next game, and there are pretty clear reasons why those 2 don't play today.

Fingeredmouse

Lads it’s Leeds. They really aren’t anything special. Infact they’ll probably get relegated.
    They're pretty shit and may very well go down (I hope so) but they're playing us and we're fielding our slow centre half who can't handle pressure away from home against a very motivated rival who are both highly mobile and high pressing. Lads, it's a potential banana skin.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
    Supports
    There's only one United!
    Yes, not playing Martinez just does not make sense at all since he's suspended vs Barca

bosnian_red

Are Martinez and Varane injured or ill or something? How is this the game he chooses to rest and rotate?
    Martinez suspended vs Barca. Ten Hag likes sharpness before a big game. Shaw comes in at LCB and Malacia at LB for that game, so logical to get them sharp right before it.

Varane needs a rest now and then. This is the "easiest" and "least important" game from the next 4 (Barca, leicester, Barca, Newcastle cup final).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    I presume the idea is not to risk Varane and Martinez (is he available?) before the Barca game but seems very risky playing a CB pairing who (as far as I can remember) haven't started together... and Maguire is always a risk, if you ask me

Mick1

Think it's Varane needing a rest for midweek and Lindelof is needed in midfield that Shaw is partnering Maguire. Cant have Maguire and Martinez together because both are front foot defender and they need someone to drop off, and Shaw-Martinez doesn't work because both are left sided.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
    Yeah but the logic there is he's not playing vs Barca so might as well give sharpness to Shaw as a CB and Malacia at LB? So I don't see it as dropped, more just getting the starters for the next game sharpness. Only Varane rested/dropped. Leeds' game plan was let Varane play out from the back as Varane is safe on the ball and doesn't try much... Can't do the same vs Maguire, for all his faults, he is much more adventurous in his passing.

It's not surprising at all that the game before Martinez is suspended, Shaw comes back at LCB and Malacia at LB. So for me it's really just Varane and Casemiro to come in the next game, and there are pretty clear reasons why those 2 don't play today.
    Yep, agree with this

RedDevilRoshi

I’m surprised Martinez isn’t playing when he’s suspended for the 1st leg?

Varane I can understand being dropped to the bench as will need him ready for Barcelona in midweek.

Tibs

Our captain comes in and we suddenly have zero confidence.

bosnian_red

I presume the idea is not to risk Varane and Martinez before the Barca game but seems very risky playing a CB pairing who (as far as I can remember) haven't started together... and Maguire is always a risk, if you ask me
    Martinez is suspended vs Barca so it's Shaw and Malacia getting sharpness

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

100%

Renegade

Maguire should be good enough. We should be able to rely on him for these games.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
    Saving players for Barcelona.
    I totally get that, but Martinez is suspended against Barcelona. He’s been our best CB this season and if he is not carrying a knock then he should be starting.

This could really backfire on ETH and the criticism if we drop points will be justified.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    No point having a squad. Some of the people complaining are in another thread complaining about fatigue.

Andersonson

I’m surprised Martinez isn’t playing when he’s suspended for the 1st leg?

Varane I can understand being dropped to the bench as will need him ready for Barcelona in midweek.
    Maguire needs game time for the Barcelona game. He will start both games it looks like

Dazzmondo

Our biggest problem in the last game was Sabitzer and Fred in midfield. There were huge gaps between our defence and midfield that Leeds exploited and neither Sabitzer nor Fred adjusted to that as the game went on. They need to do better at staying deep to plug that space or it'll just be a repeat of the last game.

I'm not thrilled about Weghorst tbh. He presses but his lack of good runs or positioning means we have nothing to aim at up front. The one positive I suppose is that he potentially opens up space on the left by occupying the defenders. We saw Garnacho benefit from this in last game where he got chances but missed them. With Rashford there you would expect he would bury any similar chances.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
    I totally get that, but Martinez is suspended against Barcelona. He’s been our best CB this season and if he is not carrying a knock then he should be starting.

This could really backfire on ETH and the criticism if we drop points will be justified.
    It won’t. Players need rest, different players need to be sharp for next game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw