Left full back 2020

CG1010

You need to also take into account that Shaw is very good defensively. This is important.
Yes he is good defensively but how many teams have two proper defensive full-backs. He should be very much part of the team to fit in wherever required, but we definitely need an attacking LB to make our side tick on a consistent basis.

E-mal

Yes he is good defensively but how many teams have two proper defensive full-backs. He should be very much part of the team to fit in wherever required, but we definitely need an attacking LB to make our side tick on a consistent basis.
How about we get a footballer on the right side, someone that can actually control a football. I think that will make our side tick.

E-mal

Renan Lodi. Won't be cheap, but if signed, should be a mainstay for years to come. Him and Wan-Bissaka should provide plenty of pace going up and down the sidelines.
Lodi will be a good piece of business but I personally do not rate AWB if I am honest. The only thong he has over Shaw in my view is that he is always fit.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Guardiola's City - have inverted fullbacks that dont get forward at all and the width comes from a front 3 with the midfield 2 making runs in to space.

CG1010

How about we get a footballer on the right side, someone that can actually control a football. I think that will make our side tick.
We could do that too. I have posted in the past that I think Shaw needs to be upgraded at some point, it doesn't have to be this season necessarily as long as we are bringing someone in on the right hand side.

sherrinford

As others have said, Shaw is simply a better fullback than Wan Bissaka and shouldn't be the first one to make way for an effective attacking player.

Our next fullback signing needs to be someone who's game is based around aggressive off the ball running.

CG1010

As others have said, Shaw is simply a better fullback than Wan Bissaka and shouldn't be the first one to make way for an effective attacking player.

Our next fullback signing needs to be someone who's game is based around aggressive off the ball running.
Shaw also needs competition so I would get another FB in either position really. And then its upto Shaw and AWB to show they are better off than the new purchases.

Guardiola's City - have inverted fullbacks that dont get forward at all and the width comes from a front 3 with the midfield 2 making runs in to space.
So how do we explain Zabaleta making overlapping runs against United as he admits himself?
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/11/pabl...ted-star-anthony-martial-8129011/?ito=cbshare

Bebestation

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
So why doesn't the same strategy work against City?
Walker, Mendy, Zinchenko and Cancelo can all overlap and all play on the correct side. I rate Williams but he's a right back playing on the left.

Rajma

Shaw is out again for 2 months at best, he can’t be relied upon no matter what, and if we’re serious about next season a starting left back is an absolute must during this window.

Dorris

I just read that now and Zabaleta seems to talk about his time at west ham
Most times City’s full back stay central. It’s a feature of their play and enables their cm’s to be so attacking. Their wingers provide the width. People seem to peddle this myth that their fullbacks constantly push on and it just isn’t true.

Bebestation

Most times City’s full back stay central. It’s a feature of their play and enables their cm’s to be so attacking. Their wingers provide the width. People seem to peddle this myth that their fullbacks constantly push on and it just isn’t true.
Watched city v Norwich. Walker spent most of the match in Cm
That's inverted fullbacks isnt it? That's not wingback getting forward and crossing.

It's taking the occupation of CDM and CM roles from fullback.

I think shaw and Wab Bissaka would be much better at this than being players who cross out from wide (though i think AWB's attacking wide play has improved since Greenwood became a starter).

Shaw is out again for 2 months at best, he can’t be relied upon no matter what, and if we’re serious about next season a starting left back is an absolute must during this window.
Digne for me!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Irwin was just OK!

Agree our LB options are fine. Williams is a good young player, and proven to be a good back up.
Irwin was amazing, but it's a different time. We need a left footed who is going to put balls in behind defenders for forwards to run onto. We don't get that from Williams. Instead we get balls over defenders as he slows down the attack to cut back to his right foot. Those kind of balls have to be too precise to find a target. A LB should be left footed. It makes crossing easier and more dangerous, as FB's are now depended on more in the attack than they were in Irwin's days. It is also way easier to tackle with your left foot on the left side as well as play outswinging passes up the line for forwards making a run. There is nothing more frustrating than to see a right footer make a pass up the left wing that curves towards the touchline and out for a throw in...

Acole9

Outstanding
A left back would make sense if they're planning to move Williams to right back.

MrSingh2002

Problem is we've forgotten what a good left back can do in attack.

We've been conditioned to believe Shaw trotting to the halfway line and passing backwards to Maguire is good.

Shaws an awful fullback with zero inspiration or intensity. He'll coast through a career nevermind a season.

New left back is needed and Williams can be the LB or RB backup.

angusaa07

Owen Wijndal looks a talent. I also like the look of Jamal Lewis and with Norwich going down could get a good deal.

Zoo

We've been conditioned to believe Shaw trotting to the halfway line and passing backwards to Maguire is good.

Shaws an awful fullback with zero inspiration or intensity. He'll coast through a career nevermind a season.
Nonsense, Shaw doesn’t do this.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think this should be the third main priority after Sancho and Matic’s replacement. Shaw is good, but he misses way too many games. Needs an upgrade.

GledTheRed

Terrible post, bordleinfe WUM.

Mark Pawelek

Sergio Reguilon

Played for Sevilla this season, on loan from Real Madrid. 23. Left-footed LB. 2 goals and 4 assists in 2509 minutes. Good injury record. Fairly fast.

For £18m we should snap him up. Shaw is injured for at least 25% of games, and Williams is right-footed so does not naturally overlap, making Rashford less effective. With a left-footer playing beside Rashford, our left-side will be a far more dangerous goal threat.

Gets into WhoScored La Liga team of the season (whatever that is): "Messi joined by four Real Madrid players in LaLiga Team of the Season"
  • completed 1.6 dribbles per game but
  • completed 71% of his attempted dribbles in LaLiga this season.
BBC Gossip: "Everton have not yet made a bid for Real Madrid left-back Sergio Reguilon despite reports of an £18m offer for the 23-year-old Spaniard. (Liverpool Echo)"

Either him or Estupiñán. Other candidates are too expensive or inexperienced.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Sergio Reguilon

Played for Sevilla this season, on loan from Real Madrid. 23. Left-footed LB. 2 goals and 4 assists in 2509 minutes. Good injury record. Fairly fast.

For £18m we should snap him up. Shaw is injured for at least 25% of games, and Williams is right-footed so does not naturally overlap, making Rashford less effective. With a left-footer playing beside Rashford, our left-side will be a far more dangerous goal threat.

Gets into La Liga team of the season (whatever that is): "Messi joined by four Real Madrid players in LaLiga Team of the Season"

BBC Gossip: "Everton have not yet made a bid for Real Madrid left-back Sergio Reguilon despite reports of an £18m offer for the 23-year-old Spaniard. (Liverpool Echo)"

Yes, I like Reguilon - he's someone I advocated in one of the other left back threads (how many are there!). I also like Theo Hernandez, but he looks quite settled in Milan.

Another option, if we wanted a versatile, utility fullback/wingback/winger, would be Robert Skov from Hoffenheim - he is left footed, but can play on either flank and never, ever stops running.

E-mal

Sergio Reguilon

Gets into WhoScored La Liga team of the season (whatever that is): "Messi joined by four Real Madrid players in LaLiga Team of the Season"
  • completed 1.6 dribbles per game but
  • completed 71% of his attempted dribbles in LaLiga this season.

He is not good enough.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Pure nonsense, Shaw is one of our best players for press resistance. He’s quick, strong and is an excellent passer into our front line. It’s been clear in his absence how much more we struggle to play out from the box as Shaw is able to beat a man and play sharp passes into Martials feet.

He’s not the best In attack especially is final delivery but it’s clear him and Rashford have a solid understanding and chemistry on the left wing. Frankly he’s very underrated overall.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Not at all. Just compare him to Evra or Irwin then you realise how far off he is to being United quality.
Then compare:
Rashford vs Ronaldo
Martial vs van Nistelrooy
Maguire vs Vidic
Lindelöf vs Ferdinand
Fernandes vs Cantona

Etc etc... Comparing Shaw with 2 of the best Lbs in Uniteds history doesn't prove anything. Shaw, when fit, is a good LB and if he only could stay fit, he's far from our biggest issue right now. We definitely need to get RW (Sancho), a CDM, CB and a backup FWD before even thinking about upgrading Shaw.

And tbh, I'm more then happy to have 2 fullbacks atm that are great defensively now that we play with very offensive front 3 and Fernandes and Pogba pushing forward as well. If we had 2 fullbacks that were fantastic offensively and bad defensively, that would mean that we would only be able to count on Matic, Lindelöf and Maguire as good defensively players. We would probably score a lot of goals but coincide twice the amount we did this year.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Digne for me!
he would cost way too much.

I like the sound of the young sporting LB Nuno Mendes. he’s strong composed and attacking, would cost half as much as Digne (who I really like as a player but as usual we missed the boat there when he was going cheap) He would be happy to step aside when shaw comes back and he could grow into a devastating player eventually making Shaw his backup. Same agent as Bruno. It’s set up nicely.

E-mal

Am watching our game against Sheffield united away this season and my God slot of poor performance but Williams despite his goal was poor.
We need a solution to that left back and shift Williams to the right with Laird out on loan.
Just wanted to say though, Jones and Pereria's performance was perhaps the worst I have seen in a United shirt.

Alemar

Then compare:
Rashford vs Ronaldo
Martial vs van Nistelrooy
Maguire vs Vidic
Lindelöf vs Ferdinand
Fernandes vs Cantona
It’s been half a season only, but statistically speaking, Bruno is on the right track vis-a-vis Cantona, I think he actually delivers better G+A numbers. Martial is also not miles behind RVN, considering it was only his first season as a 9.

The other 3 can not be even compared, definitely.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If Shaw is still injured before the start of next season and if Williams being right footed playing as our left back continues to hurt our attack we could be in for a left back this window.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

:lol: :lol: :lol:

feck are you watching if you think that's how Shaw's playing?

He's a big reason why we went from winning games by a lot to struggling to break teams down.

His 1-2 passing with Pogba and Rashford opened up spaces for them to attack and allowed him to burst forward. If he works on his finishing a bit, he might get us a few goals next season if they can replicate that form again.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s going to happen over and over with shaw here. Fans writing him off as crap while he gets up to speed after a lay off. He has a Rooney type body where he needs plenty of matches to get up to speed. We’ve seen how good he can be when he’s fit and firing and he’s taking less time to come back into form after each layoff and looking a lot more fit in general. He’s been great really after the lockdown. The main problem is he can’t seem to stay injury free for a season and his attacking level is on the poor side while he finds fitness. He’s a good player who’s in danger of tapering off due to constant injuries though.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
It’s been half a season only, but statistically speaking, Bruno is on the right track vis-a-vis Cantona, I think he actually delivers better G+A numbers. Martial is also not miles behind RVN, considering it was only his first season as a 9.

The other 3 can not be even compared, definitely.
I agree, I hope that Martial, Bruno and Rashford can be compared with the great ones I mentioned in a couple of years, but my point was only that comparing Shaw with Irwing and Evra and saying he's not a good player just because he is not as good as 2 of the best Lbs ever played in for United is nothing but bs. He is definitely not our biggest problem when he is fit, but I agree that we need backup on that position, but first solve RW and DCM, then backs ups for FWD, CB and LB.