Legends and their best ever performance

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I was always a massive fan of Roy Keane Vs. Liverpool in the '96 FA Cup final.

Butt Vs. Bayern '99 CL final as well.

Giggs Vs. Juventus throughout the mid-90's was always a sight too behold as well.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I am surprised Ronaldo vs Sweden is supposed to be a contender for Ronaldo's best ever game. I don't think it is among Ronaldo's 2.best performances. Obviously a good performance, but there are such big defensive errors involved in the goals. I saw the match And he didn't even get MOM, on the channel because of what Ibra was able to do in a much weaker team in that game.
Ibra was contained pretty well in both legs aside for the two huge mistakes that gave him the two goals. There’s no way he was man of the match anywhere. And Sweden weren’t much weaker, that was our worst team of the past 30 years. They were probably the better team across both legs actually and the atmosphere in Stockholm was very intimidating and played a big part. Don’t remember having our anthem booed like that anywhere.

It’s not Ronaldo’s best ever performance though. Against the dutch in the 2012 Euros was a better one just one year earlier.

chomsky89

Ibra was contained pretty well in both legs aside for the two huge mistakes that gave him the two goals. There’s no way he was man of the match anywhere. And Sweden weren’t much weaker, that was our worst team of the past 30 years. They were probably the better team across both legs actually and the atmosphere in Stockholm was very intimidating and played a big part. Don’t remember having our anthem booed like that anywhere.

It’s not Ronaldo’s best ever performance though. Against the dutch in the 2012 Euros was a better one just one year earlier.
I didn't say ibra was better in that match, just highlighting that there was even a bit of a debate if Ronaldo was MOM.
I have nothing against Ronaldo, I'm just very positive that his good performance in that match was not his very best ever.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Nedved

kambinks

I'm going by memory here but if i remembered correctly Kaka vs Us UCL 2007 was great. I thought it was an easy fixture with even with us without Vida and Ferdinand but his first 2 goals in the first leg made our defense looked like clowns. Second leg less so but he still got a goal in early.

Reactions: Sultan

thepolice123

Arjen Robben was pretty much unplayable in every game in world Cup 2010 for Holland.
No he wasn't, that Holland team was as uninspiring as the LVG one four years later. His best performance was probably against Brazil when he made them lose their heads over his diving antics. :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Schweinsteiger - The 2014 WC final is the most obvious answer, but I remember two 2010 performances that deserve a mention: Bayern's must-win game in Turin in the CL group stages & the WC QF against Argentina.

One of my favourite games ever, Nedved was glorious.

Champagne Football

No he wasn't, that Holland team was as uninspiring as the LVG one four years later. His best performance was probably against Brazil when he made them lose their heads over his diving antics. :lol:
I just remember he single handedly got them to the final in that world Cup. When Robben was on form he was Messi level. One of the best I've ever seen.

MrEleson

I just remember he single handedly got them to the final in that world Cup. When Robben was on form he was Messi level. One of the best I've ever seen.
Sneijder was much more influential than Robben that WC, especially in that game against Brazil in the QFs

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
BT Sport have posted a video of the Inter vs Lazio Uefa Cup final, showing only Ronaldo’s highlights. That would be one of his greatest games. Poor Nesta

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Valdo vs Real Madrid: he was one of the last pure playmakers. Amazing player in his prime.

Lynty

Makes me wonder - Which one was Messi's best game ever?
Arsenal 2010 for me

Although he's had some great performances against us and Madrid also. Also remember him toying with City a few years back.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
An amazing talent. It's a shame injuries derailed his career.

In Portugal where do people usually categorize him among the greatest Portuguese players?
Ronaldo, Eusébio and Figo are the top 3 unanimously. Futre is probably 4th although there's an argument to be had there

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
An amazing talent. It's a shame injuries derailed his career.

In Portugal where do people usually categorize him among the greatest Portuguese players?
Undoubtedly. His performance in Euro Cup final against Bayern also would be worthy of posting, but in that day Madjer stole the show.

His injury record was terrible, but bare in mind that in those days you could almost make a leg breaking tackle and get away with a warning :lol:
The guy had so many knee surgeries that he probably has some record for a footballer.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
About whom? Coluna?
Think most people would go Coluna 4th and Futre 5th. Chalana, Rui Costa, José Águas would be in the argument too. Peyroteo would probably make top 3 ahead of Figo but he's from a very different era so he gets excluded from these arguments.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hugo Sanchez vs Barcelona: his distribution and determination is on par with his finishing.

Inter Yer Nan

Ronaldo, Eusébio and Figo are the top 3 unanimously. Futre is probably 4th although there's an argument to be had there
That's what I figured the top three would look like and in that order too. It's amazing that considering Portugal is probably the "smallest" football country (outside of Uruguay) yet they've combined for a lot of World Player of the Year's and excellent players in general. I know less about the likes of Peyroteo, Coluna etc; I was a big fan of Rui Costa, I thought he was a great player. It always surprised me that he never played in Spain. He'd have been best suited to La Liga.

thepolice123

This one sticks in the memory
Feels if you look for every great player's best performance, you will somehow find one against Arsenal. They are like the village bicycle that everyone gets a ride. There's also Rooney in 2010, Messi four goals against them, Iniesta in 2006, Lewandowski and Robben destroying them in 2017.

The lesser players you have Firmino and Crouch hat-trick against them, Kante and Essien bossing their midfield, Park running them ragged, Hazard and Nani destroying them etc.

James Peril

Name a legendary footballer and what you think was their best ever game of football, a very subjective topic of course.

I'll start with Zidane vs Brazil 2006, his 1998 world cup final performance is a very close second but this one felt more effortless compared to the final.

I remember Zidane and all that since I’m 34, but damn... him and Pogba are pretty similar in style aren’t they? That total control of what‘s coming, those twists and turns, never any rush, great passing into open space without breaking sweat. Also refreshing to see highlights from a top game where there’s so little pressing, letting the best players show their skills... I hate high-line pressing football, it killed the nr. 10, there’s less dribbling, less fun.

As for best performance, what about Ronaldinho vs. Real Madrid?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can it be your best ever performance when you've missed a critical pen?
Yes. He nullified one of the deadliest strikers ever in his career-best form, while himself coming back from an injury. One of the most incredible defensive performances of all-time, without a doubt.

galwayfa

Paul McGrath V Italy in World Cup 94, easily in my mind the performance of the wc in my mind, I see some on here mentioning baresi in final but not for me