Leicester charged by PL for spending breach

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It will be interesting to see if the super league starts getting traction again after the punishment inevitably underwhelms. Personally I’m getting to a stage where I‘d be happy for us to stick two fingers up to the PL and UEFA.
I think it will happen, where big clubs will form their own competition to make money.

MegadrivePerson

Whilst points deductions historically haven't happened much in the Premier League, they are a regular occurrence in the football league.

Virtually every season there is at least one football league team that incurs a points deduction.

I'm glad to see the likes of Everton, Forest and Leicester getting punished. They deserve it! It's not "corruption" its not "bad luck" it's team's gambling and overspending and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

roonster09

Scout
This doesn't matter. The top clubs don't need Middle East investors. The threat of a Super League/legal ramifications from the big clubs is enough to ensure the punishment will be big.
To make any change PL need 14 clubs to vote in favor. Can see 7+ clubs supporting City.

Spark

Wonder if City have done that Logan Roy thing of taking every single good lawyer on retainer meaning all other clubs have to gamble with Lionel Hutz representing them.

Red_toad

The more the FA ignore City (and prob to a lesser extent Chelsea) the more credibility they lose. Becoming an utter joke now. Clubs could have points deduction, appeal, and not have appeal heard till after season end with possible incorrect relegation or miss out on promotion.
The Premier League aren't ignoring City, they're building a case against an uncooperative entity, they haven't confessed like NFFC & EFC. It'll take time and maybe one day City will have their titles stripped away....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
All I can say, from an absolutely neutral standpoint, is that I’ve always been against points deductions being postponed to the following season and it’s imperative they are docked 20 points tomorrow, with no right to appeal.
:lol: Go team McKenna

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Premier League aren't ignoring City, they're building a case against an uncooperative entity, they haven't confessed like NFFC & EFC. It'll take time and maybe one day City will have their titles stripped away....
Yup, none of these cases are straightforward but the one against City looks a nightmare from a legal and administrative PoV. This will absolutely take time and is being put against state ownership. Saying it will be bloody difficult is an understatement.

RedRocket9908

Its incredible that after all the money Leicester have made over the last few years by overcharging over clubs for their players they have still somehow managed to breech FFP, I cant even think of a single player they signed for a large fee so where has all the money gone?

MegadrivePerson

Its incredible that after all the money Leicester have made over the last few years by overcharging over clubs for their players they have still somehow managed to breech FFP, I cant even think of a single player they signed for a large fee so where has all the money gone?
They had a wage bill of close to £200 million at one point. Vardy was on 160k a week!

RoyH1

To make any change PL need 14 clubs to vote in favor. Can see 7+ clubs supporting City.
Who? Other than Newcastle I don't really see an obvious one. They make a mockery out of fair play with their inflated marketing deals.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
when you see all these premier league teams being pinged for cheating, it only makes guardiola’s dominance of the premier league even more impressive. he’s gone past ferguson as a result, imo. imagine what his record would be like on an even playing field?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
when you see all these premier league teams being pinged for cheating, it only makes guardiola’s dominance of the premier league even more impressive. he’s gone past ferguson as a result, imo. imagine what his record would be like on an even playing field?
You forgot to change your "supports" tag!

RedDevil@84

This won't happen.

The strength of the PL rests entirely with the clubs. The clubs will not stand idly by as City get a slap on the wrist while other clubs are getting punished properly.

There will be a big punishment but it will fall short of what they deserve is my estimate.
City only needs 7 votes
Also there will be diplomatic pressure on UK and in turn on the clubs to look at the greater picture of UK-UAE relationship.

SuperiorXI

City only needs 7 votes
Also there will be diplomatic pressure on UK and in turn on the clubs to look at the greater picture of UK-UAE relationship.
Not necessarily. It would only take 4 or 5 to threaten to leave as we saw with the Super League, it would utterly destroy the PL.

jadaba

I actually think the more clubs get punished for it, the more chance of City getting absolutely railed when it's their time.

It can't go the other way because the outcry will be horrific, I could imagine the fans of other clubs taking it into their own hands protesting and getting games called off when they play City. Every time this happens the pressure gets bigger and bigger and bigger to do something about City so it must highlight how seriously they're taking it.

Or it really is a whitewash job using diplomatic pull and a shitload of money in backhanders and that'll be blatantly obvious too.
This is the way I'm seeing it too. If footballing bodies and powers would've learned anything from the Super League backlash, it's that you can't so brazenly take supporters for mugs, instead you've got to take them for mugs in a more subtle way. There's no way City get away with it without everyone rightly crying foul and conspiracy, the harm it'd cause for the PL's image and credibility would be too significant now that three other high-profile clubs have been charged.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah I agree. The City trial won't be City v PL - it'll basically be UK Government v UAE therefore I really can't see a very heavy punishment. The PL will need to look like they have handed a severe punishment out so there will be some negotiations in the background so every party is happy.
What punishment do you think City's owners will be happy with that makes the PL look lie they've dished a big punishment?

Bearing in mind they hilariously reckon they've done nothing at all wrong.

90 + 5min

Every time there is thread about charges for some breaches I just think of that elephant in the room and if TheFA can see it.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
now the EFL have placed us under a transfer embargo for doing something we haven't actually done yet, both the PL and EFL are grandstanding going after clubs like us instead of the clubs driving up the costs.

Also one of the PL charges is we didn't file last years records with them this season like you would have, well we're not in the PL, we filed with the EFL as expected

clubs statement today FYI

LCFC has been compelled today to issue two urgent legal proceedings against the Premier League and the EFL. LCFC will be seeking that each of these proceedings is determined by an appropriate and fully independent legal panel.
The Club is committed to ensure that any charges against it are properly and proportionately determined, in accordance with the applicable rules, by the right bodies, and at the right time.

While LCFC would prefer the proceedings to be in public, so its supporters and the wider world can be informed about the important issues of football governance that will be considered, the relevant rules require that these proceedings are conducted confidentially, and LCFC will therefore not be able to comment further about them at this stage.

We reaffirm the Club’s position that we will continue to fight for the right of Leicester City and all clubs to pursue their ambitions, particularly where these have been reasonably and fairly established through sustained sporting achievement.

The Club further notes that at 4pm today the EFL issued a public notification that LCFC has been placed under a registration embargo pursuant to its P&S rules. The EFL is aware that LCFC has disputed the EFL’s entitlement to impose this constraint, which is both restrictive and premature, with more than a quarter of the Club’s 2023/24 reporting period remaining.

Oranges038

It's looks like the PL are going after clubs who've broken rules on the 115 FC list, then they'll at least have set a precedent on how to deal with City.

It's a bold strategy, let's see if pays off.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
It's looks like the PL are going after clubs who've broken rules on the 115 FC list, then they'll at least have set a precedent on how to deal with City.

It's a bold strategy, let's see if pays off.
I've been thinking down these lines for a little while. It makes sense from the PL's point of view to have a precedent set on a smaller scale before going in all guns blazing at 115FC. Less chance of their legal team blowing the charges out of the water. Or am I suffering from wishful thinking?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder what the transfer market is going to be like this summer ?

Dan_F

It’s pointless comparing it to city. These are fairly straightforward cases of breaching PSR rules. City is not only involved in 115 instances but its stuff to do with fraud and cover ups of payments to intentionally get around these rules, a completely different kettle of fish.

I have zero faith in the premier league dealing with it properly. The only appropriate punishment is voiding the seasons and forcing the owners to sell (like Abramovic). But I’m not sure they have the power to do that. Any points deduction is completely irrelevant as the damage is done, they have built their reputation to a point where they will breeze back into the Premiership straight away.

Dean60

Supports
Everton
now the EFL have placed us under a transfer embargo for doing something we haven't actually done yet, both the PL and EFL are grandstanding going after clubs like us instead of the clubs driving up the costs.

Also one of the PL charges is we didn't file last years records with them this season like you would have, well we're not in the PL, we filed with the EFL as expected

clubs statement today FYI

LCFC has been compelled today to issue two urgent legal proceedings against the Premier League and the EFL. LCFC will be seeking that each of these proceedings is determined by an appropriate and fully independent legal panel.
The Club is committed to ensure that any charges against it are properly and proportionately determined, in accordance with the applicable rules, by the right bodies, and at the right time.

While LCFC would prefer the proceedings to be in public, so its supporters and the wider world can be informed about the important issues of football governance that will be considered, the relevant rules require that these proceedings are conducted confidentially, and LCFC will therefore not be able to comment further about them at this stage.

We reaffirm the Club’s position that we will continue to fight for the right of Leicester City and all clubs to pursue their ambitions, particularly where these have been reasonably and fairly established through sustained sporting achievement.

The Club further notes that at 4pm today the EFL issued a public notification that LCFC has been placed under a registration embargo pursuant to its P&S rules. The EFL is aware that LCFC has disputed the EFL’s entitlement to impose this constraint, which is both restrictive and premature, with more than a quarter of the Club’s 2023/24 reporting period remaining.
Surely after all the shouts from Leicester fans for the Everton points deduction to be concluded last season, threats of legal action etc, you will stick to your values and work towards that outcome for this season?

Remember it’s unfair for the teams who are not cheating in the championship this season. Other teams deserve to be in the play offs not Leicester, especially given you are cheating this season as well. Rules are rules. Sure I heard similar arguments somewhere?

It is not the the first time you guys were cheating either. You cheated to get in the prem then got away with a small fine for breaking FFP. I wonder what teams you cost champions league
etc resulting in what up to 100 million loss of revenue for them? Maybe they should sue you? I suspect some championship teams will.

What goes around comes around. It will be interesting when you get double charged in the championship next season where I expect you to be.

Best wishes
William

Oranges038

I've been thinking down these lines for a little while. It makes sense from the PL's point of view to have a precedent set on a smaller scale before going in all guns blazing at 115FC. Less chance of their legal team blowing the charges out of the water. Or am I suffering from wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking probably.

If City fans are to be believed half the charges are about the length of the grass and the size of the changing rooms.

SambaBoy

What punishment do you think City's owners will be happy with that makes the PL look lie they've dished a big punishment?

Bearing in mind they hilariously reckon they've done nothing at all wrong.
I'm not too sure. I think a record fine, if for example then handed down a £60m fine.

It seems like a huge fine and it is, but in reality they just have to lose one potential summer signing, didn't Nunes and Phillips cost in that range?

Not a massive punishment in the grand scheme of things but the PL will be able to say it is.

Teja

Which ones? I assume Newcastle, City, Chelsea. But the rest have as much of a reason as us to vote against.

Reyoji-Utd

Everyones going to get points deduction at this rate then City will happily obey and get the desuction too...

Reyoji-Utd

It can also be combined with "the biggest points fine in history" - an 'unprecedented' total, something like 60+pts - that, so long as it's issued at the start of a season, sees them survive relegation and take their punishment, all in one go.

They can be 'punished' without it impacting them in any shape or form outside of a temporary intermission in title races, which is the beauty of such nonsense as far as the powers that be are concerned. Once such a fine and points total is issued, the matter is put to bed and that's that.
Agree, there will be headlines of so-called unprecedented punishments...ectc. its going to be unprecedented but there will be room to negotiated and in waht way the punishments going to be handed out. I think City will be happy with fines and points dedection (be it 60 points or 100 points or even 40 points for 2/3 seasons, as long as they still can play in EPL, its going to be ok for them).

roonster09

Scout
Which ones? I assume Newcastle, City, Chelsea. But the rest have as much of a reason as us to vote against.
Just checked clubs with Arab owners, it's City, Newcastle, Villa, SHU and then Chelsea owners have direct ties with them.

Then how difficult it would be for some small club owner to suddenly start a business in middle East which will tip the vote other way?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Yes, not sure why we’re contesting it to be honest.

Our accounts are a mess and if we get promoted, we’ll be going back down from the Premier league on minus points :confused:

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'd like to see how much we're getting back in add backs, unless Top is planning on selling after getting promoted he needs to fired either the CEO Susan Whelan or the DOF Jon Rudkin for allowing the club to get into this mess they are the ones signing off on everything, really he needs to replace both but 1 is more realistic

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
at least the wage bill lost 8 high earners last summer and will lose 7 more this summer, problem is we got feck all for them.

We also have the money for running the women's team, 2 training grounds, 2 academies and how ever much the cost of the expansion plans are to reduce, so that'll help the PSR number and the Barnes transfer money is on this season's figures

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How do you sell Maddison and Fofana for over 100m combined and have the parachute payments and STILL rack up 90m loss in one season!?

Just truly ridiculous.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
How do you sell Maddison and Fofana for over 100m combined and have the parachute payments and STILL rack up 90m loss in one season!?

Just truly ridiculous.
It's last season we didn't have parachute payments.

We gave players big contracts chasing Europe, it seems we budgeted to finish a minimum of 8th every year.