Kick-off
Sun, 21 September 2014 @ 1:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 52 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ananke

I went with 0-2. I have a feeling our defence is going to start clicking and holding it's own. Falcao and Rooney to score. Di Maria assists.

I hope Blackett starts too. He's done well so far and it wouldn't be fair to bench him when he's done nothing wrong.

RedSRM

My one concern with Van Gaal regarding selection is that his matey relationship with RVP will result in him not being dropped when he should be. Worries me that he took off Mata instead of RVP when Falcao came on. Robin isn't offering enough at the mo for me.

othersna

My one concern with Van Gaal regarding selection is that his matey relationship with RVP will result in him not being dropped when he should be. Worries me that he took off Mata instead of RVP when Falcao came on. Robin isn't offering enough at the mo for me.
    Um, I think that was more about RvP obviously needing the gametime while Mata didn't as he's already in form.
    Van Gaal has already proven he's willing to bench RvP if he doesn't perform (look at the national team), do you really think a world class coach would make a selection based on personal relationships rather than what's best for the team? That's not going to win any hearts (in the wardrobe or among fans)

RedSRM

Um, I think that was more about RvP obviously needing the gametime while Mata didn't as he's already in form.
    Van Gaal has already proven he's willing to bench RvP if he doesn't perform (look at the national team), do you really think a world class coach would make a selection based on personal relationships rather than what's best for the team? That's not going to win any hearts (in the wardrobe or among fans)
    I hope not. But all managers have their favourites. Sometimes they are willing to persevere with certain players more than others. I didn't say I was convinced he would never drop RVP, just that he might be inclined not to bench him before a player he has less of a relationship with. I'm sure he'll do the right thing when it matters most though.

ElectroManiac

I think Falcao is going to star this one but won't play the whole 90 min. Probably not fit enough for it yet. Hopefully we play the same formation as the last game. It is the best formation to get the best of Blind, Herrera, Di Maria and Mata. If we are winning comfortable by the second half, I would love to see Pereira get some minutes and Januzaj as well. I also think Shaw could start if LVG see that he is fit enough to play at least between 60 and 70 minutes. If Rojo is going to be first choice CB he need to start playing there already so he makes that position his own. A combination of Jones/Smalling with Rojo I think is going to be our first choice CB pairing.

kundalini

Anyone knows when Carrick is back? Is that going to give us more selection headaches? :wenger:
    Original estimate was 10 weeks out which would be early October. Last friday he was running outdoors in trainers so it would be surprising if he returned ahead of schedule. Lack of match practice might be an issue.

Depends on Blind's form. If he continues to impress then I would imagine that Carrick replaces Fletcher on the bench.

Last edited:

Momochiru

A massively important game! Leicester had the thoughest start in the PL and still done very well. On the other hand I expect a lot of dropped points from our rivals after the European midweek. I can't stress enough how important a win will be for our conference.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
    A massively important game! Leicester had the thoughest start in the PL and still done very well. On the other hand I expect a lot of dropped points from our rivals after the European midweek. I can't stress enough how important a win will be for our conference.
    EPL North?

Chorltonian

We should aim high! If we get a 0-6 win in this game we will install fear in the hearts of our opponents.
    That's only ever happened once before for an away team afaik in the EPL; L'pool @ Newcastle.

But you'd remember our famous European Champion Clubs' Cup preliminary round first leg away match, eh? ;)

Ole240599

Didn't take off RVP because he needs minutes to get match fit. He will replace him with falcao if he doesn't improve. I see RVP starting on Sun with falcao as sub again. RVP needs to score or loses his place for next game. This type of pressure is exactly what we haven't had in some time.

Moby

Dick
    Falcao should start. We have seen how an early goal helped us and in the past having a slow start has been a major problem and allows the other team to slowly build confidence. Falcao looked quite sharp, that rebound chance and then he was open in space when Adnan decided to shoot. Evading markers is something RvP has found tough off late (though that run to latch onto Di Maria's pass was vintage RvP) so I would prefer Falcao who would probably be more clinical and get us going, and then we can give RvP some time in the second half.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't know how I feel for this game. 4 at the back no doubt then the question is how we should attack. Di Maria and Herrera are in the team no doubt and I expect Blind to have the same role too. Then the three in front is the question depending on if it is 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2. I would go with Januzaj, Mata, Falcao and more 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation with Di Maria on a wing, but can come in into the center a lot too.

Ghengis

I think the people thinking this will be a tough game will be in for a suprise. I feel we had that boost in the team that we needed. The players have confidence and our team looks like new team after the international break. I think if Leicester put pressure we will counter them to bits.

De Gea
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Blind Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao/Rvp

With the players and manager we have we shouldn't expect nothing else but a win.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
    Staff
    I think the people thinking this will be a tough game will be in for a suprise. I feel we had that boost in the team that we needed. The players have confidence and our team looks like new team after the international break. I think if Leicester put pressure we will counter them to bits.

De Gea
    Rafael Evans Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Blind Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao/Rvp

With the players and manager we have we shouldn't expect nothing else but a win.
    Tbh, I'm surprised that so many people, judging by the poll, think we will cruise this game 3-1 or 3-0. Yes, LvG has had another week to work with the players, but Leicester have a lot of pace on the attack and Ulloa looks a menace. They looked very strong against Arsenal. Edging this 2-1 would be a solid result and a draw would be slightly disappointing but not a disgrace. Hope I'm wrong.

gasmanc

Banned
    Tbh, I'm surprised that so many people, judging by the poll, think we will cruise this game 3-1 or 3-0. Yes, LvG has had another week to work with the players, but Leicester have a lot of pace on the attack and Ulloa looks a menace. They looked very strong against Arsenal. Edging this 2-1 would be a solid result and a draw would be slightly disappointing but not a disgrace. Hope I'm wrong.
    There's a lot of optimism about Jip and I suppose when you've posters debating on which one of Van Persie or Falcao to leave on the bench it's no surprise, lolz.
    One thing that will play a part is the fear factor, I know we've only had one decent game with this new look United, but the convincing way we dismantled QPR will have a bearing on the foxes outlook. They wont want to be on the end of a similar result and I suspect they will be cautious, something that teams facing us have rarely been in recent times.
    Looking forward to the games again, feck me I've missed that feeling.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
    I'd be absolutely devastated if we only manage a draw here. Leicester are a good team but we really should be beating teams like Burnley and Leicester away if you want to reach top four.

Jippy

Staff
    There's a lot of optimism about Jip and I suppose when you've posters debating on which one of Van Persie or Falcao to leave on the bench it's no surprise, lolz.
    One thing that will play a part is the fear factor, I know we've only had one decent game with this new look United, but the convincing way we dismantled QPR will have a bearing on the foxes outlook. They wont want to be on the end of a similar result and I suspect they will be cautious, something that teams facing us have rarely been in recent times.
    Ditto on both mate. I've actually found the midweek Champs League stuff a bit annoying cos I want to see us again. Maybe last year has made me more cautious, understandably, but believe me, I want to see the game were the forwards all click and we fecking rip some open as much as the next person. Not sure we're quite there yet, but here's hoping.

Cantona's Collar

If we score first then I fancy us to win 3-1. If they score first it could be a nervy afternoon as they sit back and hope to catch us on the break. I fancy us to win in either scenario though. We'll have a better idea of where the team is after this game than after the QPR game.

I'd like to see mostly the same team as the last game get a run out. My only changes would be Rojo into central defence, Shaw as left back and maybe Falcao instead of RVP.

Ghengis

i could be wrong but i just have that feeling. we are very different and better now and i think we should be able to handle teams like Leicester easy. And im not kneejerking after one game its just a feeling i got that we are in for a big ride this year

I feel the same way the new signings and injured players coming back plus the win against QPR have lifted the team. I have feeling this team will gel very fast and be dangerous this season.
    I would want Falcao to start if fit enough if not then would have him in the bench.

gasmanc

Banned
    Ditto on both mate. I've actually found the midweek Champs League stuff a bit annoying cos I want to see us again. Maybe last year has made me more cautious, understandably, but believe me, I want to see the game were the forwards all click and we fecking rip some open as much as the next person. Not sure we're quite there yet, but here's hoping.
    That word just about sums up last year mate, well that along with disorganized rabble.
    We've still got plenty to do but the progress is evident, course we would love to see us batter Leicester but a scruffy 2-1 victory will be just as welcomed.

Jippy

Staff
    I've been Moysed with the caution. I know Falcao/RVP for one position is great, but I guess we are talking Blackett/Jones or whoever at the back which isn't quite the same. Feck it, bring on Sunday. We still have a few matches before we start facing the big teams too, so it is all hopefully boding well.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
    Leicester City
    What you did to QPR will have no effect on our outlook for a start we outclassed them in 2 games against them and finished 20+ points infront of them.

We also don't have a cart horse at CB and a striker that can score and a midfield that isn't built around Joey Barton

If you come here thinking it'll be easy you'll lose.

Razzler777

Like to see us stick with a winning team and build some familiarity with Falcao, Januzaj and Shaw getting some time of the bench if possible.

Both teams to score, United to edge it 1-2/2-3.

Andre Kagawa

What you did to QPR will have no effect on our outlook for a start we outclassed them in 2 games against them and finished 20+ points infront of them.

We also don't have a cart horse at CB and a striker that can score and a midfield that isn't built around Joey Barton

If you come here thinking it'll be easy you'll lose.
    Calm down, lol. Not saying it'll be easy at all, but you're still fecking Leicester man...

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
    Calm down, lol. Not saying it'll be easy at all, but you're still fecking Leicester man...
    I was just about to say something along those lines.

I don't think anyone is expecting an easy game. Leicester are at home, have had a good start and are full of confidence. On the other hand we are lacking in confidence and have a new team yet to gel. That said, United are far superior when it comes down to it, and Leicester will quite likely be relegation fodder come the end of the season. Some of their fans seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
    Leicester City
    I was just about to say something along those lines.

I don't think anyone is expecting an easy game. Leicester are at home, have had a good start and are full of confidence. On the other hand we are lacking in confidence and have a new team yet to gel. That said, United are far superior when it comes down to it, and Leicester will quite likely be relegation fodder come the end of the season. Some of their fans seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves.
    You've had 1 win against relegation fodder and some are saying you'll walk into the top 4 again and we're the ones getting ahead of ourselves? The irony

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 506 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw