Leonardo Bonucci | All discussion here please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

The distinction between LvG and Mourinho in terms of negative and attacking is greatly misleading I feel. It's a media oversimplification, not to mention that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever as to what Mourinho will try to implement here, not yet at least. LvG, a bit like Pep does not view defence and attack as separate entities. He wants to defend from the front through winning the ball back as soon as possible and keeping it for as long as possible. He believes that the more you play far away from your goalkeeper, the less defending you have to do and more time you have to attack obviously. The problem is that once he achieved that to a largely good level as our defensive record suggests, and more importantly our stats regarding how little time was spent in our half by our opponents, he couldn't implement the other half of the plan; doing something with that possession.

Mourinho is more traditional, he wants to defend through actually defending. He builds his team to work on defending the zone as in sitting behind the ball and closing down the space between the lines. Attacking wise, he wants to leave that to the forwards and their creativity as long as it's not at the expense of defensive solidity. The result is that when playing against weak or mid table opponents, that defensive organisation is called upon less because his players are usually better meaning that the forwards enjoy more time in the final third and have room to show their talents. The downside is that when facing strong teams, his teams are pinned back defending deep and his forwards are isolated because the midfielders are suffocated and busy getting behind the ball. The point is that LvG's approach can produce mind numbingly rigid football when it isn't performed with the speed and sharpness needed in the final third but it can also produce the type of football we see from Bayern. Same for Mourinho, when he has Di Maria, Özil and Ronaldo, his approach can produce some thrilling football but when faced with sides that are good at pressing and possession, his teams can produce football that is more reminiscent of Stoke than Manchester United.

In that regard, Mourinho's approach probably does need a more "warrior" defender as you put it simply because his teams are more likely to invite pressure. But I feel that he made his choice in buying Bailly and he has to stand up by that decision because too many new faces can be problematic. It takes time for them to gel and be part of the unit, not to mention, it kills any soul the team might have. As I said earlier, it is a balancing act and I feel that our business so far is on the line. We obviously needed more creativity so there was no point trying to maintain some continuity when the present players were obviously not good enough but any more than that and it is an overkill.
I'm not disagreeing with much you have said here in truth, I think the biggest difference between LvG and Pep for instance is the way the forwards play on rails for LvG, or at least ours did a lot of the time, not free to move out of their invisible boxes, where as Pep encourages a greater freedom of movement and invention.

My main point was that the style LvG implemented does protect the actual CB's a lot more when attacked as the midfield under him had 2 sitters, Pep's teams only play with one and while Jose approaches things differently the biggest reason he needs the extra power at CB is he doesn't offer the double cover, or at least he hasn't in his previous two clubs with Modric and Fabregas having a lot of attacking freedom most weeks. My point being that if we play Smalling and Blind with Pogba having the freedom of the two aforementioned CM's, we'd be in trouble, a CB like Bonucci would even out that aspect IMO.

As for your point about backup being unreliable, that's the case everywhere I feel. It is why it's called backup. Real have Nacho as backup. Barcelona have bleeding Mathieu and Vermaelen and the Chelsea side that won the league two years did not even have backup. If there are injuries, you suffer but you can't build a team expecting that everyone will be injured just in case.
Maybe I'm overly expectant but when Rio and Vidic were our CB's I didn't feel Brown, O'Shea and Evans were anywhere near the plummet in quality Jones and Rojo are as cover. To me they could both go with Bonucci coming in to partner Smalling with Bailly and Blind as the cover/competition.

Hard to argue with that. There usually are extremes when it comes to these issues. Either play the 18 year olds or forget them about entirely and focus on winning at all costs seem to be the only two views. Obviously there needs to be a bit of balance which is clearly easier said than done. I liked LvG's approach in that regard with having senior experienced first teamers but not overloading the squad so as to open up opportunities for the youngsters. Obviously that backfires when you have too many injuries but the principles I feel were fair and could yield a nice balance.
I just think we are entering a very dangerous period where we are seeing 19 and 20 year olds written off because they aren't first teamers like Rooney and Ronaldo were at that age, they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Don't get me wrong, I love to see young players in and around the squad and if Jose has singled out Rashford and TFM as the 2 to focus on this season then that's great, the problem under LvG was we reached a point where we were throwing kids in for a game here and there and they were never seen again, like Riley, Love and Weir, it didn't feel mapped out like their development should be, it felt like throwing them in and just seeing which ones stuck.

Bojan11

What is all this recent discussion based on? One crap article from MEN?

Surely if it came from someone like Di Marzio it would be worthy of a discussion.

Theonas

Scout
I'm not disagreeing with much you have said here in truth, I think the biggest difference between LvG and Pep for instance is the way the forwards play on rails for LvG, or at least ours did a lot of the time, not free to move out of their invisible boxes, where as Pep encourages a greater freedom of movement and invention.
I think you are being a little harsh on LvG here. It is very difficult to quantify how much freedom a manager allows his players but I am reminded of Thierry Henry's recollection of a game under Pep. He spoke about how he was told to stay out wide only for him then to get frustrated because he did not see enough of the ball so he started drifting in and ended up scoring. Pep's response? subbed him at half time. Lahm also spoke very clearly about how Pep is super strict with keeping position. I am afraid a lot of continental managers are very meticulous like that with their tactics compared to what we are used to in Britain. Obviously when it works because either the system is perfected to a tee (Bayern under Pep) or because you have a ridiculous talent like Messi, the manager is a genius. When it doesn't, people criticize how stifling and suffocating he is. LvG for whatever reason could not make it work. Maybe he needed more time, maybe English football simply makes that impossible (we will see with City this year), maybe he misjudged his players or maybe he is simply not good enough. We will never know really.

My main point was that the style LvG implemented does protect the actual CB's a lot more when attacked as the midfield under him had 2 sitters, Pep's teams only play with one and while Jose approaches things differently the biggest reason he needs the extra power at CB is he doesn't offer the double cover, or at least he hasn't in his previous two clubs with Modric and Fabregas having a lot of attacking freedom most weeks. My point being that if we play Smalling and Blind with Pogba having the freedom of the two aforementioned CM's, we'd be in trouble, a CB like Bonucci would even out that aspect IMO.
I think you are focusing too much here on the midfield. Whereas we sometimes put in two sitting midfielders, that did not happen all the time. I would not classify Fellaini or Herrera as sitting midfielders for example. In fact, I think to LvG and Pep, the actually formation is not very important which is why they change it all the time. They simply want to develop a team that plays in synch in the way it presses and win the ball back. This needs a great understanding of when to come out and when to cover. The other part of it was to transition quickly enough to offer greater passing options in the other half. Our team could simply not do that which is why a lot of time we ended up either stuck in that first phase having to commit too many men, or when we could make strides up front, we did not move fast enough. Speaking of cover, Mourinho's teams demand so much work from the wingers defensively. His full backs are also not nearly as high up the pitch as LvG's. It is I feel a more traditional cover to the CBs . Not to mention that his teams are more prepared to play deeper. I think if anything, those characteristics provide more help for the CBs.

Maybe I'm overly expectant but when Rio and Vidic were our CB's I didn't feel Brown, O'Shea and Evans were anywhere near the plummet in quality Jones and Rojo are as cover. To me they could both go with Bonucci coming in to partner Smalling with Bailly and Blind as the cover/competition.
That's a tough one I suppose. The problem Fergie's teams are so hard to judge their quality. The man simply mastered our league. It's a bit like Germany in World Cups and European Cups. He could field pretty much anyone and make it work somehow. I just feel that generally people exaggerate the differences of level. Just as much as players help a team do well, a team can help individuals perform better. A lot of times people talk about players as though they are a separate entity to the team. I feel that's the case for attacking talent. You either can beat a man with skill and pace or not. You either can finish a chance or you can't for example. But defenders are more reliant on what's around them. They are at the mercy of the system and the team much more than forwards which is why I find it very difficult to evaluate them properly.

I just think we are entering a very dangerous period where we are seeing 19 and 20 year olds written off because they aren't first teamers like Rooney and Ronaldo were at that age, they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Don't get me wrong, I love to see young players in and around the squad and if Jose has singled out Rashford and TFM as the 2 to focus on this season then that's great, the problem under LvG was we reached a point where we were throwing kids in for a game here and there and they were never seen again, like Riley, Love and Weir, it didn't feel mapped out like their development should be, it felt like throwing them in and just seeing which ones stuck.
Oh yeah! I agree perfectly. People treat the exceptional as some sort of a norm. As you rightly point out, Ronaldo and Rooney were one offs. You can blame the agents for that though. They are telling those kids that they need to move elsewhere to get more playing time and earn more. I feel generally now that we have a good mix of youth. Bailly, Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lingard are all players that wouldn't be considered backup if they started and that's a good ratio as far as I'm concerned.

Devil may care

I think you are being a little harsh on LvG here. It is very difficult to quantify how much freedom a manager allows his players but I am reminded of Thierry Henry's recollection of a game under Pep. He spoke about how he was told to stay out wide only for him then to get frustrated because he did not see enough of the ball so he started drifting in and ended up scoring. Pep's response? subbed him at half time. Lahm also spoke very clearly about how Pep is super strict with keeping position. I am afraid a lot of continental managers are very meticulous like that with their tactics compared to what we are used to in Britain. Obviously when it works because either the system is perfected to a tee (Bayern under Pep) or because you have a ridiculous talent like Messi, the manager is a genius. When it doesn't, people criticize how stifling and suffocating he is. LvG for whatever reason could not make it work. Maybe he needed more time, maybe English football simply makes that impossible (we will see with City this year), maybe he misjudged his players or maybe he is simply not good enough. We will never know really.
I saw that interview with Henry on Sky and I do recall him saying about having to make runs purely for the purpose of distraction to allow the real run to have space, which he was not used too and found frustrating. He also talked about Pep allowing more freedom of expression in the final 3rd than he was seeing in LvG's United, now that could be down to the difference in quality between our attack and that Barca side but our players last season generally looked nervous of trying anything a lot of the time.

I think you are focusing too much here on the midfield. Whereas we sometimes put in two sitting midfielders, that did not happen all the time. I would not classify Fellaini or Herrera as sitting midfielders for example. In fact, I think to LvG and Pep, the actually formation is not very important which is why they change it all the time. They simply want to develop a team that plays in synch in the way it presses and win the ball back. This needs a great understanding of when to come out and when to cover. The other part of it was to transition quickly enough to offer greater passing options in the other half. Our team could simply not do that which is why a lot of time we ended up either stuck in that first phase having to commit too many men, or when we could make strides up front, we did not move fast enough. Speaking of cover, Mourinho's teams demand so much work from the wingers defensively. His full backs are also not nearly as high up the pitch as LvG's. It is I feel a more traditional cover to the CBs . Not to mention that his teams are more prepared to play deeper. I think if anything, those characteristics provide more help for the CBs.
I don't think it mattered who played in midfield for us, the princip0le remained the same, this was evidenced in how Herrera looked like he'd lost all the things that made him an exciting buy as had to play cautious and restrained all o0f the time, with Fellaini it's harder to tell as he doesn't run with the ball or try anything risky no matter who he's playing for, basically the priority of whichever CM combo we used was both to protect the CB's. I also think that Jose isn't quite as pigeonholed as you're saying, his Real side had Marcelo and Ronaldo on the left, a fullback that is basically a winger and a wide forward who doesn't track back, and in the same team was Ozil who is not known for his hard work and Modric who is always on the front foot and Di Maria who is a flair player who is risk taking all the time, a total contrast to his Inter side that was much closer to the description of a Jose team you've put above IMO, I think he's a more adaptable manager than LvG or Pep and I'd look at his Real Madrid team as closer to what he'll go for here as he knows that results are not enough for Manchester United, and we are seeing already 2 attacking fullbacks with narrow inside forwards and the intent to play Pogba who is an attacking mid in a 2 with Carrick, much like Alonso/Modric which worked as they had two very athletic CB's behind them with bags of experience, I don't personally think we have the CB's or frankly the holding CM to make this work, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. .

That's a tough one I suppose. The problem Fergie's teams are so hard to judge their quality. The man simply mastered our league. It's a bit like Germany in World Cups and European Cups. He could field pretty much anyone and make it work somehow. I just feel that generally people exaggerate the differences of level. Just as much as players help a team do well, a team can help individuals perform better. A lot of times people talk about players as though they are a separate entity to the team. I feel that's the case for attacking talent. You either can beat a man with skill and pace or not. You either can finish a chance or you can't for example. But defenders are more reliant on what's around them. They are at the mercy of the system and the team much more than forwards which is why I find it very difficult to evaluate them properly.
I agree on your point regarding Fergie, his ability to get blood out of a stone and his complete mastery of the PL makes it hard to gauge, and I'd also agree that defenses are often greater than the sum of their parts, but dumb is also dumb and the mistakes I see over and over from Jones and Rojo are born out of brainlessness, and IMO it's harder to teach stupid than it is to teach average.

Oh yeah! I agree perfectly. People treat the exceptional as some sort of a norm. As you rightly point out, Ronaldo and Rooney were one offs. You can blame the agents for that though. They are telling those kids that they need to move elsewhere to get more playing time and earn more. I feel generally now that we have a good mix of youth. Bailly, Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lingard are all players that wouldn't be considered backup if they started and that's a good ratio as far as I'm concerned.
The agents are definitely a big problem, we are seeing it now with Januzaj I feel, all this talk of attitude has to be partly coming from the people in his ear IMO, but on the fan side of things I'm often surprised how quickly to judge many are, especially United fans when we have some great examples of players finding their true level in their early 20's rather than at 19 over the last two decades. I'm with you on the current young crop, it's the most excited I've been about the long term prospects of a young collective since 92, I genuinely believe 2 or 3 of them will be true world class, the problem is the experience in the team is a bit too long in the tooth IMO with Rooney finished and Carrick and Ibra both 35, hopefully players like Smalling, Herrera, Blind and Micki can pick up some of the slack this season.

DevilRed

It wasnt so long ago that this guy was an afterthought for the italian team and even in the Serie A.

How times have changed. The price of 50m is crazy.

spwd

Not been in here since the conclusion of PP, is this a goer or just nonsense?

Jaybomb

I'd have him at United but I'm not sure if he's a "United player". That's my main worry.

Pique is the dream for me. But if we could get someone like Jose Fonte on the cheap, then I'd be delighted with that too.

djdhrubs

Not been in here since the conclusion of PP, is this a goer or just nonsense?
This is probably as much of a goer as PP seemed when that transfer was first mooted. Reading the first couple of pages of that thread is similar to the last couple of pages of this thread.

spwd

This is probably as much of a goer as PP seemed when that transfer was first mooted. Reading the first couple of pages of that thread is similar to the last couple of pages of this thread.
Now I'm confused, my muppet senses are screwed up, don't know which thread to set camp up in lol.

SirScholes

Now I'm confused, my muppet senses are screwed up, don't know which thread to set camp up in lol.
Haha I feel your confusion, I still can't believe we aren't with ronaldo again, I feel like every year there has been a ronaldo day to look forward to

VanGaalEra

Have faith guys, Mou wants another CB and he'll only go for the best! Time for Juve to brace themselves, a bid is coming.

Juve have a price for every player, it might be steep, but they have a price. With Woody willing to splash the cash, we will test Juve's resolve!
Juve always have a price for their players! £50M will do it!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bonucci is obviously class but there isn't a chance in hell he leaves Juve.. Apparently rejected City's offer to double his wages and wants to see out his career. Varane I can't see either though there is a chance for that. We have to sell Rojo though.

Will Singh

Never gonna happen, Mourinho said we are going for 4 specialist players which we already have. He also said if someone leaves and we need to replace him then you never know.

I hope im wrong and we buy him and I'll run around naked in the streets.....

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
We are not buying anyone else, geez. The media know that United stories get more clicks, the Journos say it. Now our business is done they have to fabricate these rumours to get people on to the site.

There is no way Juventus would sell another one of their high profile players, even for a ridiculous fee. I just can't see it.

FujiVice

Anyone else just happy to see how Bailly and Smalling do this year? I'm looking forward to them playing together.

Ole'sbodyguard

Anyone else just happy to see how Bailly and Smalling do this year? I'm looking forward to them playing together.
Completely happy with them and the squad in general. We already have five players who can play centre back in Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Jones and Rojo.

To be honest, I would prefer for United to focus on trimming down the squad rather than bringing anyone else in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Completely happy with them and the squad in general. We already have five players who can play centre back in Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Jones and Rojo.

To be honest, I would prefer for United to focus on trimming down the squad rather than bringing anyone else in.
Jones and rojo can leave once bonucci is signed. Jones-love-Mcnair-rojo is the typical Sunderland defense

Revan

Assumptionman
Why do we even need him? We already have Bailly, Smalling, Blind, TFM, Jones and Rojo for CBs. What will we do with so many CBs?
Why did we need Pogba considering that we already had Carrick, BFS, Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Pereira?

MounchesterUtd

Some of those passes are unfair to expect even from a veteran DM. Incredible accuracy. Really happy that Pep got Stones instead of him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
PL refs have started to give penalties for fouls during set pieces which doesn't suit him at all.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
@MounchesterUtd Make a thread about him in Football forums if you want to discuss his quality. Don't bump threads in transfer forums, if there's no source or anything regarding his move.

Status
Not open for further replies.