Let’s sign Gareth Bale

Judas

Open to offers
He's worth the risk, we're desperate for a game changer, someone to transform us, and fill a hole in our squad. We'd be mad to let him join a rival.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's worth the risk, we're desperate for a game changer, someone to transform us, and fill a hole in our squad. We'd be mad to let him join a rival.
Ah, the Sanchez/Di Maria/Falcao logic.

I do agree though, and think Sanchez will come good next season.

Skåre Willoch

I was totally bummed when he joined Real Madrid. Class act. Would love him here. Pay him whatever he wants. I don't understand finance anyways. He wants money, we have a lot of money. That's how our competitors do it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ah, the Sanchez/Di Maria/Falcao logic.

I do agree though, and think Sanchez will come good next season.
This time though he’d actually fill a position we need, and is still genuinely a class player. Only doubts are about his injuries, but we’ve got a good enough squad not to worry too much.

settembrini

Trying to use RvP to justify buying Bale is dumb.

RvP. Looked to be over his injury problems and coming off the best season of his career. 41 full 90 minutes. Performances that were statistically better than anything he had ever produced before. Relatively small fee due to his expiring contract.

Bale. Still plagued by injuries. Managed to complete a full 90 minutes just 10 times in a season when Madrid played 63 games. Same injuries have had impact on performances. Lightening speed that people remember from his peak has gone, getting outpaced by Lovren in the CL final was not a coincidence. Look at the stats, they show clear decline in his ability to beat players over the last few years. Expensive and would use up a significant portion of transfer and wage budget in a window when many other purchases are needed.

Similarities? Both approaching 30 with limited time left at the top. RvP gave United one good season before his decline and disappearance to footballing backwaters. No reason to expect Bale would do better given severity of injury problems and declining pace. United already have one ageing attacker on massive wages in Sanchez, adding Bale would compound that problem. Possible solution would be to offer Sanchez + money for Bale (with the aim of fixing the ridiculous left wing vs right wing problem Mourinho has created) but unsure if Madrid would want Sanchez.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Trying to use RvP to justify buying Bale is dumb.

RvP. Looked to be over his injury problems and coming off the best season of his career. 41 full 90 minutes. Performances that were statistically better than anything he had ever produced before. Relatively small fee due to his expiring contract.

Bale. Still plagued by injuries. Managed to complete a full 90 minutes just 10 times in a season when Madrid played 63 games. Same injuries have had impact on performances. Lightening speed that people remember from his peak has gone, getting outpaced by Lovren in the CL final was not a coincidence. Look at the stats, they show clear decline in his ability to beat players over the last few years. Expensive and would use up a significant portion of transfer and wage budget in a window when many other purchases are needed.

Similarities? Both approaching 30 with limited time left at the top. RvP gave United one good season before his decline and disappearance to footballing backwaters. No reason to expect Bale would do better given severity of injury problems and declining pace. United already have one ageing attacker on massive wages in Sanchez, adding Bale would compound that problem. Possible solution would be to offer Sanchez + money for Bale (with the aim of fixing the ridiculous left wing vs right wing problem Mourinho has created) but unsure if Madrid would want Sanchez.
I think that’s harsh because Bale himself has said he’s fit and wanted more games but hasn’t been picked as often as he wanted. It’s clear he could have had a lot more appearances this season

RoyH1

Spurs would have to break their salary structure to get him and that would cause all sorts of issues then for the rest of the big players there. Liverpool have bigger issues to address in defence and after they sort out that I don't see them having the funds for Bale. Chelsea haven't been buying all around them in quite some time so the only way i see that move happening is if hazard goes the other way (which is a possibility).
I also think Chelsea is the biggest danger. More money for wages than Spurs and the allure of London plus they have pieces that Madrid covet. Courtois could bring down the sale price of Bale by 40, 50 million or so.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I bet Real can't believe their luck. It looked like they had no chance of flogging him for decent money then he gets 2 in the CL final. Now there's talk of them making money on him.

We'd be idiots to sign him based on his injuries alone. Not to mention the drop in his physical ability as a result of those injuries. It's all well and good getting excited about us potentially signing him, but if he was here I can only imagine the conplaints already as we go into another big game and our record signing is sat in the stands due to injury. It's just not worth the risk.

Mercurial

I was totally bummed when he joined Real Madrid. Class act. Would love him here. Pay him whatever he wants. I don't understand finance anyways. He wants money, we have a lot of money. That's how our competitors do it.
Our stock is pretty much at the highest valuation in ages. Money for this would probably not be the most massive issue. If the owners like the prospect, and it's sound from a sporting perspective, the money is there.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/Man Utd:US

Skåre Willoch

Our stock is pretty much at the highest valuation in ages. Money for this would probably not be the most massive issue. If the owners like the prospect, and it's sound from a sporting perspective, the money is there.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/Man Utd:US
That's what I think as well. But people on here throw around valuation numbers like they work with finance analytics. "He's not worth X, he's worth exactly Y". "No way we should pay X, Y would be the appropriate amount". I see the money spent by our (financial) rivals, and think that we can actually spend (almost) whatever we like. I mean, we're officially the richest club in the world.

Sure, we still have to pay a fair price, and not just throw money at greedy clubs. But I have no perspective on player value, and it fascinates me how so many people seem to have so much insight in in this area. The market has exploded in the last few years, and the world record is something like 2,5 - 3x the amount Real Madrid gave up for CR7. Esitmating player value seems like estimating the price of bread in Venezuela. Today it might be one billion, tomorrow it might be two.

I understand we don't have oil money. But we do have a lot of noodle-, tractor-, wine- and mattress money.

Mercurial

That's what I think as well. But people on here throw around valuation numbers like they work with finance analytics. "He's not worth X, he's worth exactly Y". "No way we should pay X, Y would be the appropriate amount". I see the money spent by our (financial) rivals, and think that we can actually spend (almost) whatever we like. I mean, we're officially the richest club in the world.

Sure, we still have to pay a fair price, and not just throw money at greedy clubs. But I have no perspective on player value, and it fascinates me how so many people seem to have so much insight in in this area. The market has exploded in the last few years, and the world record is something like 2,5 - 3x the amount Real Madrid gave up for CR7. Esitmating player value seems like estimating the price of bread in Venezuela. Today it might be one billion, tomorrow it might be two.

I understand we don't have oil money. But we do have a lot of noodle-, tractor-, wine- and mattress money.
Those ads are Cringe to the max, but clearly lucrative. We need to match clubs with similar business model like us in terms of squad investment (obviously not counting petro$clubs), I'd hate to see excess not being used for sporting growth and reinvestment into squad vs lining rich pockets a bit more. Our allure looks better and the quality we are linked to has gone up nicely.

alpesh

After UEFA CL Final i knew someone will create a "lets get Bale Thread"
I personal feel spending a lot of money on Bale isn't a good idea.
With the amount that Real wants for Bale we can buy a much younger and healthier player.

Last edited by a moderator:

redpatron

I also think Chelsea is the biggest danger. More money for wages than Spurs and the allure of London plus they have pieces that Madrid covet. Courtois could bring down the sale price of Bale by 40, 50 million or so.
Yeah but Roman has been cost cutting for a while and he’s going to build that overpriced stadium in a couple of years. I don’t see how he would entertain the idea of buying Bale and paying his wages when he can just sandbag Chelsea until 2024 when his dreamland is done.

patty123

Bale is on 600k odd pre tax.
Alright first thing first, not calling you a liar but something in rotten in Denmark here, as I read it was 650k but anyway since when is he suppose to be on that ? As only as far back as last Sept, wasn't Tevez on 650k supposed to be the highest earner in football ? And no mention of Bale on that list at that time as second was Neymar, then CR7 and Messi.

Anyway I dont think given his age and injury record regardless whether he claims to be super fit is worth what it would cost in fee, wages and agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fer

I understand the hype, the problem will be the fee. I can see Madrid asking for 100m+ (plus the high wages)

How much would you be able to pay for Bale?

kr0nix

The issue isn't just a matter of personnel. It's clear that Jose isn't getting the best out of the squad that he has.

RedCurry

How much would you be able to pay for Bale?
I'd say, first we should buy the two fullbacks, at least one CM, a CB who can remain fit. Beyond that any money left on our transfer budget + players' sales could possibly be used for Bale. So I would say, we won't spend any more than 70-80m on him and that would be the sane thing to do.

Himannv

I'd say, first we should buy the two fullbacks, at least one CM, a CB who can remain fit. Beyond that any money left on our transfer budget + players' sales could possibly be used for Bale. So I would say, we won't spend any more than 70-80m on him and that would be the sane thing to do.
I think it will be one FB, one CB, one CM and one RW. Alternatively, it will be two FBs and no CB. Either way, I think anything more than 4 players is unrealistic to expect.

Red4Life_#7

The issue isn't just a matter of personnel. It's clear that Jose isn't getting the best out of the squad that he has.
80+ Points for the first time in 5 years... Jones blunder loses us the FA, otherwise we controlled Chelsea. Jose is getting the best out of what average players he has, let him build his own team... then we'll see.

Mercurial

He’ll cost an obscene amount, won’t he. Woody is about to get rinsed.
A player/opportunity like this available once ever so rare is probably outside normal planned budget.

GBBQ

A player/opportunity like this available once ever so rare is probably outside normal planned budget.
Yeah I reckon funds would be made available for a player of his calibre. Might have a knock on effect to transfer windows down the line but United are desperate to have a player in that mould.

Shark

@NotShark
I know everyone is still on a high from his wonder goal and all, but is this signing really logical given our recent history in signing superstar players from Madrid, or anywhere? Especially an injury prone one.

Sanchez, Pogba, Bastian, Di Maria and Falcao have all underwhelmed either so far or completely. I’d honestly ather we tried to go for a player around someone like Salah’ age and ability.

kr0nix

I know everyone is still on a high from his wonder goal and all, but is this signing really logical given our recent history in signing superstar players from Madrid, or anywhere? Especially an injury prone one.

Sanchez, Pogba, Di Maria and Falcao have all underwhelmed either so far or completely. I’d honestoy rather we tried to go for a player around someone like Salah’ age and ability.
Agree with this.

walkinhop

Bale, Sanchez, someone else...if we don't win the league next season or the one after that, we are in big trouble. Why can't we just win anything with the kids?

yo@Kirk

From today's press gossip thread, Daily Star are reporting that Real will demand a 200m transfer fee for Bale. He's averaged 2200 minutes a season over the last 3 seasons and will be paid 600k/week until June 2022. I'd like to see Mourinho get Sanchez playing well enough to earn his 600k/week before splashing 324m in fees and wages for 2200 minute/season Bale.

Cliche Guevara

From today's press gossip thread, Daily Star are reporting that Real will demand a 200m transfer fee for Bale. He's averaged 2200 minutes a season over the last 3 seasons and will be paid 600k/week until June 2022. I'd like to see Mourinho get Sanchez playing well enough to earn his 600k/week before splashing 324m in fees and wages for 2200 minute/season Bale.
So you’ve taken that seriously then?

Sparky Rhiwabon

We've been a bit unlucky in that his transfer fee probably just doubled in the last couple of days.

Mercurial

Sanchez, Pogba, Bastian, Di Maria and Falcao have all underwhelmed either so far or completely. I’d honestly ather we tried to go for a player around someone like Salah’ age and ability.
I do get those points of concern, but we desperately need a player of that caliber as a poster child, star and goal scorer. To me it seem Sanchez came of an infected roller coaster ride of conflicts with a swap of cities and sporting organisation mid season, loss of locker room status, on top of missing the WC and I think it's too early to judge his stay with us, given all that he is working hard and I hope he comes good for us. Di Maria in my mind WC at the time came into a toxic stage for us and under different circumstances would have done better. Bastian+LVG nostalgia more Daimler than Mercedes. Falcao came off a career ending knee injury and some shady things were going on behind the scenes with his agent and us I didn't fully grasp, same with Valdez.
Pogba I honestly have no idea what's going on but think he will do better with a lot less pressure on his shoulders and a proper team around him where he can be afforded bad runs. Bale for me is different to these, he will most likely not see glory or even partake with the NT in big tournaments (sorry to all Welch fans) and has spent many years on foreign soil being a wingman/second fiddle to Ronaldo despite once being considered his heir. I think he wants to go for a main man role and a chance to clinch a Balloon D'Or or equal level of personal accolade. Perez is by the look of things staying faithful to Ronaldo seen it's a gamble to cast Ronaldo'aside for Bale and Ronaldo's ego can't seem to handle sharing the glory all too well. Ditching Ronaldo for anything other than fail of legs in this situation could be a huge loss of prestige for that club and Perez could get moblynched.
Personally I think Bale is a genetic anomaly of athleticism, look like the type to have a long rewarding and adaptable career in the vein of Giggs, Totti, Zanetti, Ronaldo, Zlatan etc assuming his muscular injuries finally tone down, even with his halved capacity his numbers and game changing output is great. If he fail for us It's probably not attitude that will stop him.

Last edited: