Let's all laugh at England

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergies coat

That's also why I have a little giggle. There's not such a thing as your time, there's nothing written in the stars, it's not a matter of fate, I know it's just an expression but also one that reveals a mindset. I'd suggest you just try to get the most out of a tournament like normal nations, show what you can do and get as far as the quality of the players and manager allows. But at the first match of any tournament it's burdened with the question "will we win it this time?'. The sense of entitlement is not only setting you op for disappointment, it's contributing to it.
How is dreaming of winning a tournament a sense of entitlement? I never thought I would see us reach a final in my lifetime. We probably never will again.

Ace of Spades

Funny thread, A Leicester City fan on a Manchester United forum telling United fans from all over the world that they should not support United because they don't support England whereas most of the United players are not English.
Even dumber that the owner of his club is not English, but gleefully will support it when foreign money, coaches and players bring success to the club. If he followed what he preached, he would stop supporting the club and find some true local club that met his conditions to support.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As I’ve said you guys should be proud of the team. In most other countries losing finalists is still an amazing run and you’re improving, slowly. They’ve given you all a reason to smile and bond together for a month. It was probably one of the best times in ages for the country.

For any of the normal supporters who say it’s just a few fans, we aren’t that arrogant or hostile if you’re being fair I’m sure you’ll see by now it also brought out the worst in a lot of your fellow countrymen. England fans needs to get a lot classier, if the good fans actually heavily outnumber the bad then start educating the few, the problem is it’s not really just a few fans... All those games were like running the gauntlet for opposition fans and that’s not on. It’s sport and entertainment. It’s not a fight or a war or a platform to go all nationalistic and talk down to people. You seriously need to separate the two things ASAP or you’ll always be a laughing stock. Win lose or draw

0le

Of course every country has idiot fans. But if you refuse to see that England outdoes the other nation's dumb actions in quantity and quality, I can't help you. You won't find another nation that constantly booed the anthem of its opponents, you won't find another nation whose coach compared a game to WW2 and so forth.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the whole globe was against England in this final? Why do you think this was the case? Because everybody hates England and just chooses to ignore the similarly embarassing stuff other nations did as well? Come on. I haven't witnessed a final in which people preferred one team to win so clearly in my lifetime. Outside of England, literally everybody hoped for Italy and that's although Italy itself isn't a particularly liked football team whatsoever. It's just that nobody wanted England fans and media to be rewarded for all the dumb stuff they did.
Where did I refuse it? Please find a quote before making accusations like that. Find me evidence that English fans are worse and not just based on your biased anecdotes.

0le

Without any context: You know you must grasping at really thin straws, when resorting to whataboutisms like that.
Then maybe you should actually understand the context before posting. I was asked to provide sources.

The Hilton

That's also why I have a little giggle. There's not such a thing as your time, there's nothing written in the stars, it's not a matter of fate, I know it's just an expression but also one that reveals a mindset. I'd suggest you just try to get the most out of a tournament like normal nations, show what you can do and get as far as the quality of the players and manager allows. But at the first match of any tournament it's burdened with the question "will we win it this time?'. The sense of entitlement is not only setting you op for disappointment, it's contributing to it.
Sorry mate, your post shows a complete lack of understanding of the national mood. Plus you've taken the "maybe it's our time" comment to mean referring to fate, when it's nothing of the sort, just a turn of phrase. Nothing to with our mindset.

England fans know we're rubbish, and even when we aren't rubbish we aren't going to win. But we get to pretend that we will for a month or so, which is way more fun than just accepting the inevitable failure!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not everyone is against England because they don't like the song though.

I'm not saying don't dislike England, you can dislike whoever you want, but don't blame it on a song that you misunderstand.
I saw a ton of references to it's coming home / Rome and the Schmeichel clip probably a hundred times as well. But it's hard to say why people feel the way they do about something, so were back in the territory of subjective impressions.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Where did Italy and Germany play their group games?
After that, it's down to sheer coincidence where the games were played.
'handed home match after home match' it's the same sort of crap that's been spouted about United for years.
How delusional. :lol:

It was crappy that Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. also had home games in the group stages. Every game should have been played on a neutral place. But it was ridiculous how England, and ONLY England, had all the games bar the one against Ukraine, at home. Add to that, that England doesn't allow opposition fans to travel in because of quarantine rules and doubles stadium attendance in top 16 even though corona numbers were rising, and you have a clear distortion of competition. (and they still lost and needed a free pen after a dive to beat Denmark :lol: :lol: :lol:)

And the behaviour of english fans... :lol: They really made me cheer for Italy, and this is quite something to say.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sorry mate, your post shows a complete lack of understanding of the national mood. Plus you've taken the "maybe it's our time" comment to mean referring to fate, when it's nothing of the sort, just a turn of phrase. Nothing to with our mindset.

England fans know we're rubbish, and even when we aren't rubbish we aren't going to win. But we get to pretend that we will for a month or so, which is way more fun than just accepting the inevitable failure!
This really isn’t what I picked up on throughout the tournament, from fans and pundits alike. As much as you keep saying it to make it true.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What do you do when you support united? Do you not get excited when we are in a big semi final or final? You must be pretty dull.
I’m not saying it’s wrong but atleast say you thought they could win without denying it after the fact like people seem to be doing in here

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Where did I refuse it? Please find a quote before making accusations like that. Find me evidence that English fans are worse and not just based on your biased anecdotes.
You refuse to believe it in this very post. I already provided you evidence. The stuff English fans did were/are on a different level quality- and quantity-wise. It's no coincidence that all other nations antagonized you and not Italy. Trust me, quite many things have to happen before German fans root for Italy to win the EC - it is probably the most antagonized national team over here, even more so than the Netherlands.

0le

You refuse to believe it in this very post. I already provided you evidence. The stuff English fans did were/are on a different level quality- and quantity-wise. It's no coincidence that all other nations antagonized you and not Italy. Trust me, quite many things have to happen before German fans root for Italy to win the EC - it is probably the most antagonized national team over here, even more so than the Netherlands.
No, what you posted what a list of things that English fans do and then say that "English fans are worse". After I highlighted similar things that French fans did, you just repeated the line that "English fans are worse" and that I "refuse to accept this". I am now asking you to provide evidence that compares hooliganism from different countries and demonstrates that English fans are worse, rather than relying on your anecdotes or bias.

Kopral Jono

How delusional. :lol:

It was crappy that Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. also had home games in the group stages. Every game should have been played on a neutral place. But it was ridiculous how England, and ONLY England, had all the games bar the one against Ukraine, at home. Add to that, that England doesn't allow opposition fans to travel in because of quarantine rules and doubles stadium attendance in top 16 even though corona numbers were rising, and you have a clear distortion of competition. (and they still lost and needed a free pen after a dive to beat Denmark :lol: :lol: :lol:)

And the behaviour of english fans... :lol: They really made me cheer for Italy, and this is quite something to say.
The whole format was silly to begin with so I don't think it's fair to say that it was rigged in England's favour. The semifinals and final were always going to be played at Wembley. England should have played Germany in the round of 16 in Dublin but the Irish backed out. England also deservedly won against Denmark, it was a clear penalty I still have no idea how people are refusing to see this fact. They were denied a stonewaller in the second half of that game to boot.

Arrogance/behaviour of obnoxious and deluded England fans and pundits, fair enough. But the idea that Uefa were in bed with the FA throughout to make things easy for England is stupid.

sully07

I've enjoyed reading this thread. No one is really in a position to laugh at England's loss unless Italian as they earned the right. Anyone else comes across as jealous and bitter which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I enjoyed the game and am really happy at the progress we have made, 2 semi-finals and a final in the last 3 tournaments. The unbridled hatred it attracts is just an added bonus, a bit like being a United fan under Ferguson.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Of course every country has idiot fans. But if you refuse to see that England outdoes the other nation's dumb actions in quantity and quality, I can't help you. You won't find another nation that constantly booed the anthem of its opponents, you won't find another nation whose coach compared a game to WW2 and so forth.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the whole globe was against England in this final? Why do you think this was the case? Because everybody hates England and just chooses to ignore the similarly embarassing stuff other nations did as well? Come on. I haven't witnessed a final in which people preferred one team to win so clearly in my lifetime. Outside of England, literally everybody hoped for Italy and that's although Italy itself isn't a particularly liked football team whatsoever. It's just that nobody wanted England fans and media to be rewarded for all the dumb stuff they did.
I heard Italy were pretty consistent in their booing and yeah, maybe no references about WW2, that was idiotic, but so is scratching your balls and sniffing them on live TV. His job is to win football matches, that's it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No, what you posted what a list of things that English fans do and then say that "English fans are worse". After I highlighted similar things that French fans did, you just repeated the line that "English fans are worse" and that I "refuse to accept this". I am now asking you to provide evidence that compares hooliganism from different countries and demonstrates that English fans are worse, rather than relying on your anecdotes or bias.
No you didn't. I'm still waiting for reports of fans of other nations storming the stadium, beating up security, booing every other national anthem and so forth. I'm still waiting for an example of another national team's coach giving an interview like Southgate's with the WW2 comparisons. The small minority every nation has was shockingly big in case of England this tournament.

The whole of Europe agrees that English fans behave the worst. The only nation not agreeing with this is the one in question. So either this is all just a giant conspiracy against England or maybe it is time to reflect a little.

Reducation

Re the endless accusations of arrogance thrown at the English, this thread is interesting in that it demonstrates how in reality the arrogance is on the part of the ABE brigade.

Schneiderman

You all should just continue singing that song. The world cup is almost here. THEN it's definitely coming home. :lol:
We will be though, I think that's what you don't get. We'll say we're gonna win it, we'll say it's coming home constantly, we'll say we're better than Brazil.. But deep down, none of us actually believe it.

0le

I'm still waiting for an example of another national team's coach giving an interview like Southgate's with the WW2 comparisons.
It is painfully obvious that you are anti-English and it runs a lot further than just hooliganism.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
The whole format was silly to begin with so I don't think it's fair to say that it was rigged in England's favour. The semifinals and final were always going to be played at Wembley. England should have played Germany in the round of 16 in Dublin but the Irish backed out. England also deservedly won against Denmark, it was a clear penalty I still have no idea how people are refusing to see this fact. They were denied a stonewaller in the second half of that game to boot.

Arrogance/behaviour of obnoxious and deluded England fans and pundits, fair enough. But the idea that Uefa were in bed with the FA throughout to make things easy for England is stupid.

And still i'd say England would have deservedly lost under the same circumstances in Munich to Germany and to Denmark in Kopenhagen.

And no, it was not a clear pen. If anything, it was a clear dive by Sterling and should have been booked. But i am not saying that the ref called this to favor England or anything, but i still do believe UEFA was in bed with England, yes. Why? I don't know, but they were clearly been favoured, and this, besides the behaviour of english fans, is the main reason why i am truly happy, that England lost.

The Hilton

This really isn’t what I picked up on throughout the tournament, from fans and pundits alike. As much as you keep saying it to make it true.
That's because you don't get it. Which is fine, but it's a cultural difference that you're struggling with. It's like how English people can struggle with how matter of fact French people can be.

It's coming home is a joke, based on us knowing that it isn't, but that we get to dream for a bit. You don't understand the joke, and so perceive it as arrogance. However, it's been explained repeatedly by multiple people in this thread that its self deprecating, even when you think it isn't, so sticking to your perception would involve knowing English football culture better than English football fans do, which would, ironically, be quite arrogant of you.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It is painfully obvious that you are anti-English and it runs a lot further than just hooliganism.
No it's not. Can only repeat myself, this is a cognitive dissonance on your part. You don't want to accept that fans of your nation behaved worse than the fans of other nations and because you don't want it to be true, you come up with absurd reasoning. Why would I be anti-English? Why would the whole world be anti-English?

The Hilton

I saw a ton of references to it's coming home / Rome and the Schmeichel clip probably a hundred times as well. But it's hard to say why people feel the way they do about something, so were back in the territory of subjective impressions.
That's true. If you feel you know English football fans better than they know themselves then I don't think anything we say will change your mind. But it's worth mentioning, that is demonstrating the same arrogance you're accusing English fans of.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's because you don't get it. Which is fine, but it's a cultural difference that you're struggling with. It's like how English people can struggle with how matter of fact French people can be.

It's coming home is a joke, based on us knowing that it isn't, but that we get to dream for a bit. You don't understand the joke, and so perceive it as arrogance. However, it's been explained repeatedly by multiple people in this thread that its self deprecating, even when you think it isn't, so sticking to your perception would involve knowing English football culture better than English football fans do, which would, ironically, be quite arrogant of you.
Bore off.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Who ever made that compilation should have included Klose's goal. It had great comedic value as well:

I've become so accustomed to almost every team doing the split centre backs kick out that seeing a modern team punt it long is odd to me now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You all should just continue singing that song. The world cup is almost here. THEN it's definitely coming home. :lol:
This England side has shown enough quality in the last two major tourneys that they'll be contenders for the next 2 or 3, possibly more. We're here to stay, I'm afraid.

How do you feel about that?

0le

No you didn't. I'm still waiting for reports of fans of other nations storming the stadium, beating up security, booing every other national anthem and so forth.
I already provided links to French fans storming and looting shops and getting into scuffles with police. It is not my fault you decided to not read the quotes or the articles themselves.

No it's not. Can only repeat myself, this is a cognitive dissonance on your part. You don't want to accept that fans of your nation behaved worse than the fans of other nations and because you don't want it to be true, you come up with absurd reasoning. Why would I be anti-English? Why would the whole world be anti-English?
There it is again. :D

Wayne's World

This England side has shown enough quality in the last two major tourneys that they'll be contenders for the next 2 or 3, possibly more. We're here to stay, I'm afraid.

How do you feel about that?
Unless you get runs to the final like the past two tournaments which is near impossible then this England team aren't going anywhere fast or win anything

Don't underestimate the losing of this final, that squad may never ever recover from this

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I've become so accustomed to almost every team doing the split centre backs kick out that seeing a modern team punt it long is odd to me now.
Neuer is quite accurate with his distribution, so I assume he saw the giant gap between England's defenders and tried to exploit it.

And it was still 11 years ago. The build up of teams especially has evolved a lot in that time.

Posh Red

United fans moaning about England fans having a sense of entitlement is peak irony. Especially when the majority of these fans wouldn’t even support United if they hadn’t been successful in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.