Let's all laugh at England

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
From your link:

in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually: I literally died when she walked out on stage in that costume.
Do you think me saying "Arsenal have literally never gone a league season unbeaten"? fits that definition, because they've only done it once, years ago?

Of course not, it's bollocks.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Do you think me saying "Arsenal have literally never gone a league season unbeaten"? fits that definition, because they've only done it once, years ago?

Of course not, it's bollocks.
No, but you could say "that was literally a million years ago". Just weird you're making a big deal out of it.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
England tonight remind me of Belgium in 2018
Great team, great players.
But not much at the end outside of pen given by stupid France defenders.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are we literally laughing at England or what

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Great showing by England. Anti English brigade are way too invested in their hatred. It can’t be healthy.

Roy'sMagicHat

Great showing by England. Anti English brigade are way too invested in their hatred. It can’t be healthy.
I’m living in Ireland man. Went out to watch it and the celebrations were insane here. It’s actually not healthy-and we’ll all be supporting United and heading over to England again in the next few weeks.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Literally :lol:

Feck me. Literally literally means literally.

If people start using it incorrectly I'll literally be irritated.
Actually, literally can be used as meaning figuratively. There is an other common expression that works like that but I don't remember which one.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
England fans - let's all laugh at Germany/Spain/Brazil/Portugal.

Also England fans after being eliminated - how dare you, bundesliga is shite, your country is shite.

:lol:
Amazing, isn't it? :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Actually, literally can be used as meaning figuratively. There is an other common expression that works like that but I don't remember which one.
So the meaning of the word has changed? You know, that's just shit. The only reason it has changed is because people refused to understand what it actually meant. And now I have to listen to someone say they "literally died" and not correct them.

Lu. Di. Crous.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It wasn't as good as previous. I think it's sweeter when they go out on penalties. But hilarious all the same. See you again in 2 years :lol: :lol: :lol:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So, let's say Harry Kane killed a pigeon with that PK and I called my wife to tell her.

Where once I could say "Kane literally killed a pigeon!", now I have to say "I'm not joking, Kane actually killed a pigeon. I saw it. I'm not kidding. He really, truthfully did."

I'm out.
You and england.

Andre Kagawa

So, let's say Harry Kane killed a pigeon with that PK and I called my wife to tell her.

Where once I could say "Kane literally killed a pigeon!", now I have to say "I'm not joking, Kane actually killed a pigeon. I saw it. I'm not kidding. He really, truthfully did."

I'm out.
:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So the meaning of the word has changed? You know, that's just shit. The only reason it has changed is because people refused to understand what it actually meant. And now I have to listen to someone say they "literally died" and not correct them.

Lu. Di. Crous.
Not exactly. Both words have kept their literal meaning but you can use literally as a figure of speech and by definition it would make literal non-literal, for example "I'm literally dying" that's hyperbolic and it's an appropriate use of literal in an hyperbole.

An other example is the expression "impossibly long" when it almost always refers to something possible. The same applies to infinitely which is often used in a non-literal sense.

Last edited:

Reiver

I'm out.
More chance of killing a pigeon than winning World Cup thankfully.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I don't think I've ever been so salty about a game of football that I've started having a 'dictionary-off' with a rival fan :lol:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Really disappointed. I'm going to get drunk by downing a few pints of bacon wrap.