g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Let's all laugh at England

Pickle85

Watching that young German team beat that star studded English team 4-1 in 2010 was the start of my "proper" football fandom.

It felt almost Karmic that England lost because of a ghost goal since they apparently won a World Cup the same way long ago.

Back then amongst Indian football fans, the likes of Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Cole ,etc. were really popular stars and all my classmates were on England's side. So watching Germany win and eliminate England was a moral victory of sorts against the popular opinion :drool:

I have seen too many Indian patriotic films as a child and had early exposure to stories of the atrocities done by the British empire in India. So I have naturally always rooted against England :keano:

As I have grown up I don't resent the English anymore for the colonial past but still watching your over hyped team fail again and again is just funny. You got TWO penalties but still couldn't Win
:lol:

I do think England have a very good team this time but once again the first strong team they faced, they lost. Let's not forget all the players France were missing.

England are perennial failures in tournament football, long may it stay that way :p
Where does your affinity for Germany come from? Or was it just a case of 'pick a successful team at random'?

Pickle85

This is a very international forum. Trying to discredit someone that way could catch a lot of users as collateral damage.
I'm not advocating for an 'it's odd to support a club that's not based in your country' argument. Clubs are international businesses these days, not the smaller, local affairs of many years ago. I do find it odd to randomly support a national team that has no connection to your own nation, though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not advocating for an 'it's odd to support a club that's not based in your country' argument. Clubs are international businesses these days, not the smaller, local affairs of many years ago. I do find it odd to randomly support a national team that has no connection to your own nation, though.
The user did explain it though and I find it especially easy to believe that someone would support England's opponents given 2010 was peak England, with the "EASY" group and that BBC pre game show against Germany.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How is this thread still going :lol:

BlueHaze

Wow, I had not even seen that penalty miss until now in this thread. That's what happens when your striker and penalty taker is from tottenham hotbottlers.

To shoot a penalty like that in a quarter final is tragic.

Bhosadekay

Supports
Bayern Munich
Where does your affinity for Germany come from? Or was it just a case of 'pick a successful team at random'?
As my post says that I grew up with a very Anti British sentiment and in most parts of India the Empire rule is seen as the Dark economic drain on the nation's wealth (However, as an adult I see through the political games of the current governments in trying to still blame the Empire for the problems of the country so long after Independence).

Likewise based on my personal readings I have a favorable view of Germany as a country and how they indirectly contributed to weakening the British Empire through WW2 and therefore as a result shortly after WW2 was over, England was in no financial/political position to rule over its massive Empire. No coincidence that so many Asian/African colonies got independence within a couple of decades after 1945.

Germany also intrigues me as a nation because I have read about European history and how the Holy Roman Empire/Prussia and later Germany managed to remain a significant political power in Europe despite the other European powers having vast colonial possessions is remarkable IMO. I also like Lufthansa, Pretzels and German Beer in case it matters :angel:

Anyways back to football, 2010 was a weird time for me personally. I was slowly losing interest in cricket (because of how slow it is and because of how back then MS Dhoni and his CSK favorites were always playing for the Indian Cricket team) and football was the hot thing in town. The 2010 World Cup was the first major football competition I watched as a 16 year old. I can still remember how the Suarez Handball against Ghana was everywhere.

That German team and the way they played in that competition was refreshing. They beat England and Argentina comfortably and gave Spain a very close match. Plus I also have Oliver Kahn in my very first memories of Football so I just developed a bond for the German/Bayern players and it has got stronger since 2014.

Müller, Klose, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Özil, Podolski, Mertesacker, Boateng and Lahm impressed me the most from that German team.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
This is pretty common in the subcontinent tbh, particularly at World Cup time. It might be different if those nations were in the World Cup but in the mean time there's pretty passionate support for the teams that are there. Bangladeshis supporting Argentina and Brazil is quite a spectacle. And I've seen others get quite emotionally involved in the fortunes of Germany and even England.

I will admit I find the level of emotional commitment quite strange but can understand that it's a way of having a stake in the World Cup if your own country has no realistic prospect of being in it.

Bhosadekay

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is pretty common in the subcontinent tbh, particularly at World Cup time. It might be different if those nations were in the World Cup but in the mean time there's pretty passionate support for the teams that are there. Bangladeshis supporting Argentina and Brazil is quite a spectacle. And I've seen others get quite emotionally involved in the fortunes of Germany and even England.

I will admit I find the level of emotional commitment quite strange but can understand that it's a way of having a stake in the World Cup if your own country has no realistic prospect of being in it.
I think this post nails it. As an Indian in 2022, I have sincerely given up all hopes of ever seeing my own country at the FIFA World Cup unless they are planning to expand the tournament to a 100 national teams. I read a social media post about how the Indian FA was recently suspended (and reinstated) by FIFA.

I have stopped emotionally investing in most sports honestly because it's just men (who are handsomely paid) running around trying to kick a ball who wouldn't give a shit about the regular/casual fan.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

Agreed. Given the global popularity of the EPL, national teams featuring these players would naturally command international support. International football fandom has definitely evolved as domestic European and South American leagues receive more media coverage.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Us Irish though, we’ll never ever know what it’s like to win a World Cup.Can never take it away from England, they have won it before. Us Irish are pathetic and as long as we hate the English more than we love our own country, we’ll always fail. Imagine celebrating France winning after what Henry did to us. And at the back of it all, when all is said and done, you support and English team!! Hilarious!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah Jesus, poor troll now in fairness.

Foxbatt

Supporting the underdog. England is never the underdog. Especially according to the English media.
I always want England to get to the QFs or the SF and lose narrowly. If they lost earlier the media would not be so enthusiastic and it would be get boring. Now when they lose narrowly the media is in an uproar and we would have the same next time around with " it's coming home" going on. Football is an entertainment and the media is part of it. I luv it when they come crashing down every year after England loses. I know that it's unfair on my fellow supporters of United and feel for them too. But I luv it. Simply luv it when English football team loses it in the QF or the SM.

Pickle85

The user did explain it though and I find it especially easy to believe that someone would support England's opponents given 2010 was peak England, with the "EASY" group and that BBC pre game show against Germany.

Intellectually I can understand it but the bolded is where I struggle. I could see myself following a particular side's games but would find it possible to feel actually invested in their success as I'd always feel removed from it. Just an odd phenomenon to me.

Pickle85

As my post says that I grew up with a very Anti British sentiment and in most parts of India the Empire rule is seen as the Dark economic drain on the nation's wealth (However, as an adult I see through the political games of the current governments in trying to still blame the Empire for the problems of the country so long after Independence).

Likewise based on my personal readings I have a favorable view of Germany as a country and how they indirectly contributed to weakening the British Empire through WW2 and therefore as a result shortly after WW2 was over, England was in no financial/political position to rule over its massive Empire. No coincidence that so many Asian/African colonies got independence within a couple of decades after 1945.

Germany also intrigues me as a nation because I have read about European history and how the Holy Roman Empire/Prussia and later Germany managed to remain a significant political power in Europe despite the other European powers having vast colonial possessions is remarkable IMO. I also like Lufthansa, Pretzels and German Beer in case it matters :angel:

Anyways back to football, 2010 was a weird time for me personally. I was slowly losing interest in cricket (because of how slow it is and because of how back then MS Dhoni and his CSK favorites were always playing for the Indian Cricket team) and football was the hot thing in town. The 2010 World Cup was the first major football competition I watched as a 16 year old. I can still remember how the Suarez Handball against Ghana was everywhere.

That German team and the way they played in that competition was refreshing. They beat England and Argentina comfortably and gave Spain a very close match. Plus I also have Oliver Kahn in my very first memories of Football so I just developed a bond for the German/Bayern players and it has got stronger since 2014.

Müller, Klose, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Özil, Podolski, Mertesacker, Boateng and Lahm impressed me the most from that German team.
Wait, so you have a more favorable view of Germany because of World War two? That's a first, for me and has to be one of the most absurd and offensive double standards I've heard in some time.

Quite apart from this, you know that Germany have their own imperial history? Ever heard of Otto von Bismark? Granted, nothing like as extensive or shameful as the British Empire but it still happened

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Genuine question, aside from memes surely you must be tired that everytime your national team get close to a trophy, the media and the fans start to act demicky and boasting "It's coming home". What's worse is that they've been doing it for 26 years now and haven't really learned anything.

Pickle85

Genuine question, aside from memes surely you must be tired that everytime your national team get close to a trophy, the media and the fans start to act demicky and boasting "It's coming home". What's worse is that they've been doing it for 26 years now and haven't really learned anything.
For what must be the ten billionth time, no, because we all know it's 80% tongue in cheek.

NasiKandar

It was hard not to like that Germany team of 2010 - they were everything a side should be, combining a proper team ethic with a formidable attacking style. I’m English and I couldn’t help but admire them at that point

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For what must be the ten billionth time, no, because we all know it's 80% tongue in cheek.
On it's way to be the longest running joke to be recorded in Guinness book of world record.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Intellectually I can understand it but the bolded is where I struggle. I could see myself following a particular side's games but would find it possible to feel actually invested in their success as I'd always feel removed from it. Just an odd phenomenon to me.
May I ask where you're from? It's not difficult to understand it someone's country of birth is non-existent in football and therefore has no chance of winning anything. It isn't very different to supporting the club of a city you don't live in. You aren't invested in your own country because they don't play football but you still like the sport so pick a team to support based on your preferences.

And having a certain level of support doesn't come from one day just saying to yourself 'I'll support Germany', it's from years of supporting them through think and thin. I began supporting Germany from '96 only because they won Euro '96 but then continuing to support them after the sh*t years afterwards, and the mockery, only strengthened my support.

I'll punch anyone who questions my support for Germany because I'm not from there.

redcucumber

I can't work it out - do people hate 'its coming home', or not? Cos throughout the tournament all you hear about is how arrogant and obnoxious a chant it is. Would have assumed people would steer clear of it, rather than keep it in circulation. Good thing is it starts off EURO24 it's coming home nice and early.

Last edited:

redcucumber

May I ask where you're from? It's not difficult to understand it someone's country of birth is non-existent in football and therefore has no chance of winning anything. It isn't very different to supporting the club of a city you don't live in. You aren't invested in your own country because they don't play football but you still like the sport so pick a team to support based on your preferences.

And having a certain level of support doesn't come from one day just saying to yourself 'I'll support Germany', it's from years of supporting them through think and thin. I began supporting Germany from '96 only because they won Euro '96 but then continuing to support them after the sh*t years afterwards, and the mockery, only strengthened my support.

I'll punch anyone who questions my support for Germany because I'm not from there.
Mockery from who, though? It'd be like me supporting Brazil despite being from Tanzania and getting upset about losing 7-1 to Germany and the ensuing fallout. There's surely a level of emotional disconnect? I'm genuinely just curious and people can support whoever they want, but it's an interesting topic.

Pickle85

On it's way to be the longest running joke to be recorded in Guinness book of world record.
Could well be!

But you absolutely did one day just say to yourself 'I'll support Germany'. That sounds like it's exactly what happened. I'm from the UK. I'll never understand feeling an allegiance as strong as the one you apparently feel to the German football team if you've zero other connection to the country itself. What you've told me so far is that you started supporting them because they won, then continued to support them through the 'sh*t years'. These 'sh*t years' following included a runners up WC medal, two third places and a winners medal. In the same time they got a runners up in the euros and two SF finishes. It must have been SO TOUGH to support them through such barren years.

Also, you never addressed my point about it being weird that the second world war would strengthen your support of them. Are you a fascist?

Im sure you're very scary, so your punching point is well taken. Anyone that questions your unwavering and totally understandable obsession with the German national football team had better watch out!
So it's only 80% now?
Can't speak for all English folks, I'm afraid. I'm sure there's a few that use their St George's cross hankies to wipe away proud tears while singing it, but from someone that lives here I can assure you they're a very small minority.

EDIT: lives, not loves!

Bhosadekay

Supports
Bayern Munich
Wait, so you have a more favorable view of Germany because of World War two? That's a first, for me and has to be one of the most absurd and offensive double standards I've heard in some time.

Quite apart from this, you know that Germany have their own imperial history? Ever heard of Otto von Bismark? Granted, nothing like as extensive or shameful as the British Empire but it still happened
I realize that the German Nazi government during the second World War committed some very cruel and inhumane atrocities on fellow humans. I despise Hitler's racist ideologies and his search for Lebensraum in the Far East and everything else that goes with it.

I don't have any favorable views of the Nazi regime politically nor morally. However, the Universe/God works in weird ways sometimes and as a result of a new evil emerging (Nazis) another existing evil (the British Empire) got fatally wounded and eventually both evils perished. I think it is an undeniable truth that the weakness of Great Britain politically/financially after WW2 made it very difficult for the British government at the time to continue ruling over Colonies all across the world.

Re: German Imperial Empire. Yes I know all about that. However like you said, German colonialism (some territories in Africa mostly) is nothing compared to how many resources the likes of England, Spain and France were getting from their respective colonies.

That's actually one of the reasons of respect I have for Germany as a nation because they did remain politically and economically competitive in Europe during the colonial ages despite the massive upper hand the other European powers had over them.

Re: Double Standard. Well since I grew up hearing about the British atrocities and the economic drain of India, so yeah I will perhaps always have a deeper emotional reaction to England's colonial past than say Spain or France or Germany's, although I can understand someone from a former French colony having a similar view towards French colonialism. It all depends on the person's personal experience.

redcucumber

I genuinely didn't hear or see it's coming home being referenced this World Cup. I don't read tabloids but I'm obviously on social media and go to the pub. It didn't get sung once at the pub that I was at which had over 200+ in attendance.

It's coming home has become some sort of boogeyman for non England supporters. It's quite strange and hilarious in equal measure.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Could well be!

But you absolutely did one day just say to yourself 'I'll support Germany'. That sounds like it's exactly what happened. I'm from the UK. I'll never understand feeling an allegiance as strong as the one you apparently feel to the German football team if you've zero other connection to the country itself. What you've told me so far is that you started supporting them because they won, then continued to support them through the 'sh*t years'. These 'sh*t years' following included a runners up WC medal, two third places and a winners medal. In the same time they got a runners up in the euros and two SF finishes. It must have been SO TOUGH to support them through such barren years.

Also, you never addressed my point about it being weird that the second world war would strengthen your support of them. Are you a fascist?

Im sure you're very scary, so your punching point is well taken. Anyone that questions your unwavering and totally understandable obsession with the German national football team had better watch out!

Can't speak for all English folks, I'm afraid. I'm sure there's a few that use their St George's cross hankies to wipe away proud tears while singing it, but from someone that lives here I can assure you they're a very small minority.

EDIT: lives, not loves!
Can't respond to all the points right now since I'm working but I have to mention I'm not the person who said the second world war strengthened my support.

And the point about punching someone was in jest. I haven't actually punched anyone.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I genuinely didn't hear or see it's coming home being referenced this World Cup. I don't read tabloids but I'm obviously on social media and go to the pub. It didn't get sung once at the pub that I was at which had over 200+ in attendance.

It's coming home has become some sort of boogeyman for non England supporters. It's quite strange and hilarious in equal measure.
Wasn't there some report like 2 pages ago that someone produced 20k shirts using that song to celebrate mighty England's upcoming WC win?

Teja

Y'all are just weird. I don't think any national team has this level of hate surrounding it.

Pickle85

Can't respond to all the points right now since I'm working but I have to mention I'm not the person who said the second world war strengthened my support.

And the point about punching someone was in jest. I haven't actually punched anyone.
Apologies, my fault for reading too carelessly!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't have any favorable views of the Nazi regime politically nor morally. However, the Universe/God works in weird ways sometimes and as a result of a new evil emerging (Nazis) another existing evil (the British Empire) got fatally wounded and eventually both evils perished. I think it is an undeniable truth that the weakness of Great Britain politically/financially after WW2 made it very difficult for the British government at the time to continue ruling over Colonies all across the world.
Always a cracking way to start the next sentence.

Pickle85

I realize that the German Nazi government during the second World War committed some very cruel and inhumane atrocities on fellow humans. I despise Hitler's racist ideologies and his search for Lebensraum in the Far East and everything else that goes with it.

Re: German Imperial Empire. Yes I know all about that. However like you said, German colonialism (some territories in Africa mostly) is nothing compared to how many resources the likes of England, Spain and France were getting from their respective colonies.

That's actually one of the reasons of respect I have for Germany as a nation because they did remain politically and economically competitive in Europe during the colonial ages despite the massive upper hand the other European powers had over them.

Re: Double Standard. Well since I grew up hearing about the British atrocities and the economic drain of India, so yeah I will perhaps always have a deeper emotional reaction to England's colonial past than say Spain or France or Germany's, although I can understand someone from a former French colony having a similar view towards French colonialism. It all depends on the person's personal experience.
You honestly need a history lesson if you think that the rise of Nazism was the thing that killed the British Empire. I'm not going to engage any further because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Us Irish though, we’ll never ever know what it’s like to win a World Cup.Can never take it away from England, they have won it before. Us Irish are pathetic and as long as we hate the English more than we love our own country, we’ll always fail. Imagine celebrating France winning after what Henry did to us. And at the back of it all, when all is said and done, you support and English team!! Hilarious!!
This reads like one of those fake Tory twitter accounts.