Let's talk about what are the best english club teams of all time and rank them!

matbezlima

Teams surely deserving of being mentioned are the Busby Babies from the 50s, the United team from the 60s, the Tottenham team from early 60s, the Liverpool team from the late 70s to early 80s, the Nottingham Forest team from late 70s, the Everton team from mid 80s, Wenger's Arsenal, Mourinho's Chelsea, both 99 and 2008 United teams commanded by Ferguson, City and Liverpool from late 2010s. So many great teams and so hard to rank!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Liverpool 1976-1977
Liverpool 1983-1984
Manchester United 1998-99
Manchester United 2007-08

The four English teams who won both their domestic league and the European Cup in the same season.

They should be rated above Arsenal, Chelsea, and City's best teams for that reason.

Bondi77

Liverpool 1976-1977
Liverpool 1983-1984
Manchester United 1998-99
Manchester United 2007-08

The four English teams who won both their domestic league and the European Cup in the same season.

They should be rated above Arsenal, Chelsea, and City's best teams for that reason.
Spot on,
And Utd are the only team to have done it in the Champions League era which is a lot harder to do than the old European Cup format.
I think I would have my money on the 99 side but not the one which won the final, it would have to have Scholes and Keane to topple the 07 side.

Robertd0803

In my lifetime.
Treble 99. United 07/08.
United 93/94.
United 06/07 -08/09.

And possibly unpopular opinion time, Chelsea in 06-08 were better than Mourinhos second title winning team and Contes.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It's true that Liverpool in the 70s and 80s, and Utd in the 90s and 00s were able to simultaneously dominate in England with successful league title defences and a lot of titles in a short space of time, alongside winning the European Cup / Champions League.

Both of Utd's modern day Champions League titles came during periods in which they won 3 consecutive Premier League titles, 1999-2001 and 2007-2009. And Liverpool won either the league title or the European Cup in 9 consecutive years from 1976-1984, including winning them both in 1977 and 1984.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In my lifetime.
Treble 99. United 07/08.
United 93/94.
United 06/07 -08/09.

And possibly unpopular opinion time, Chelsea in 06-08 were better than Mourinhos second title winning team and Contes.
I think pretty much everyone agrees with that, certainly within the Chelsea fan base, infact those teams were probably better than Carlo's double side aswell.

We had a major injury crisis both campaigns (aswell as without a proper manager in one) and we took in my opinion Fergie's best ever United sides right to the wire on both occasions.

Unbelievable group of players!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Spot on,
And Utd are the only team to have done it in the Champions League era which is a lot harder to do than the old European Cup format.
I think I would have my money on the 99 side but not the one which won the final, it would have to have Scholes and Keane to topple the 07 side.
:lol: :lol: Utd fluked it with a certain David May and Liverpool uber-fluked it with Djimi fecking Traore. Won't even mention the genius manager that is Di Matteo. These are just English examples. Yeah sure, CL is so hard to win. :rolleyes::lol:

Sure you can throw up similar examples in the old format but I'm not the schmuck throwing up meaningless bolded part statements above.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: :lol: Utd fluked it with a certain David May and Liverpool uber-fluked it with Djimi fecking Traore. Won't even mention the genius manager that is Di Matteo. These are just English examples. Yeah sure, CL is so hard to win. :rolleyes::lol:

Sure you can throw up similar examples in the old format but I'm not the schmuck throwing up meaningless bolded part statements above.
Liverpool and Chelsea are the only two examples of a shit side winning it and are the definition of outliners. There's reason so many great teams don't win it and that's because it's ridiculously hard in the current format.

However I am with you in the sense that I don't agree with the putting down of the European Cup era, while it was a lot easier to win once in it (let's he honest, when whoever didn't win the league out of Real/Barca and Juve/Milan are replaced by the Champions of Greece and Bulgaria it's not something that can be disputed) that is offset by the fact it's harder to actually get in it in the first place.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Liverpool and Chelsea are the only two examples of a shit side winning it and are the definition of outliners. There's reason so many great teams don't win it and that's because it's ridiculously hard in the current format.

However I am with you in the sense that I don't agree with the putting down of the European Cup era, while it was a lot easier to win once in it (let's he honest, when whoever didn't win the league out of Real/Barca and Juve/Milan are replaced by the Champions of Greece and Bulgaria it's not something that can be disputed) that is offset by the fact it's harder to actually get in it in the first place.
My argument in this assertion that the CL is harder to win than the old European Cup is that by that definition the old UEFA Cup must have been harder to win. The teams that make up the bulk of the CL places are sides that have finished 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th, in their respective leagues, whereas before the CL took over from the European Cup those aforementioned sides would have been competing in the UEFA Cup. Therefore, seeing as Liverpool won 6 European trophies - 4 European Cups & 2 UEFA Cups - in 12 years, it's hard to argue against the fact that we not only proved that we could beat the best sides a country could offer, but in winning 2 UEFA Cups in 4 years, we showed we could beat their 2nd, 3rd, & 4th best sides too.

Playing more fixtures doesn't make it harder to win, because if you look at the comparisons from past & present then most of the sides that have become European champions have only played 2, maybe 3, really difficult ties in winning the trophy. The group stages are set up so the 2 best sides progress, & more often than not that tends to be the case. After that it pretty much becomes just like the old European Cup. 2 legged knockout ties.

SharpshooterTom

A lot of people don't realise also players often stayed in their own league's in those days pre globalisation, you weren't allowed to amass super teams like you are now. So when young people see a team like Red Star Belgrade win it in 1991 and think WTF that team included most of the Yugolsav national side like Mihaljovic, Prosinecki, Pancev, Savicevic etc. Very good side.

Similary Ajax in 1995, look at their starting XI for the final

Edwin Van der Sar
Michael Reiziger
Danny Blind
Frank Rijkaard
Frank de Boer
Clarence Seedorf
Finidi George
Edgar Davids
Ronald de Boer
Jari Litmanen
Marc Overmars

Kluivert was benched and came on and scored the winner. Never in a million years would Ajax be allowed to have a side as strong as that now without them all being poached for the top 5 European leagues, Real/Barca etc.

I remember United losing to IFK Gothenburg that season, but that was no shock given IFK Gothenburg had a number of the Sweden 1994 WC players in their side.

Sweet Square

I might be jumping to conclusions here but I'm guessing the reason the thread is titled best english club teams of all time is because the OP accidentally forgot about this lot.

Lisbon Lions - Celtic 66/67 Season

Celtic competed in five tournaments in the 1966–67 season. They won all five competitions and completed the only ever European Quintuple. Over the course of the season, Celtic scored a world record 196 goals in the major competitions they took part in.
Manager - Jock Stein

Bill Shankley - I am proud to say that I knew Jock Stein as a manager, as a colleague and as a friend… he was the greatest manager in British football… men like Jock will live forever in the memory,” Bill Shankly

Bill Shankly to Jock Stein in the Dressing room just after they won the European Cup (1967) – “John, you’re immortal now!” (Jock in turn just laughed…)

Top Goalscorer - Joe McBride with 35 Goals

They have to be in the top 3 at least, right ?