Lewis Hall - Newcastle Player | Bye Bye Boehly

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hmmmm....??
There’s a section of the fanbase that have now started picking on Chilwell now that all of the previously divisive players like Mount, Jorginho and Havertz have left.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
There’s a section of the fanbase that have now started picking on Chilwell now that all of the previously divisive players like Mount, Jorginho and Havertz have left.
Is there really? The only knock I could see in Chilly is injury record. He is genuinely excellent on the field.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is there really? The only knock I could see in Chilly is injury record. He is genuinely excellent on the field.
I only noticed it on twitter before, but there's a very loud group on there (probably the old Mount detractors) who spend their days rubbishing him. I'm surprised it's found it's way here too.

Supports
Chelsea
You don’t have to be a part of a group to have a different opinion on Chilwell. I like him as a player and he’s obviously our best left back but think he is definitely someone you can upgrade on. The way some of our fans talk about him is as if he’s irreplaceable ala a James, Silva, Enzo level player. I think apart from his goalscoring exploits there isn’t really an aspect of his game that stands out as elite, unlike the other players mentioned. Good player no doubt who can be very good on occasion.

Anyway, what’s happening with Hall? I thought he was heading to Palace.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Competition from Newcastle it seems? And both want to buy him instead of loan, or loan with option/obligation to buy.

We have a LOT of interested parties for Hall, and he needs to get minutes. Right now they would probably try to low ball us. A solid year of starting for a Prem side and he could either win a spot with us or cost a LOT more.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
Somebody I know is friends with his dad, apparently the father is a huge toon fan and so is Lewis’s brother.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Romano says he signed a new 6 year deal. Chelsea haven’t announced anything though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This guy looked fantastic when I saw him play last season.

I rate Cucurella too, but obviously he's not shown what he's capable of. I don't think Chilwell is anything special, and would have expected Cucurella to take his place once he found form. There were rumours that Cucurella wasn't fancied by Poch though, so maybe he doesn't rate him or there's other issues with him behind the scenes. But I would have thought Cucurella would be ideal for how he generally likes to play.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea

I rate Cucurella too, but obviously he's not shown what he's capable of. I don't think Chilwell is anything special, and would have expected Cucurella to take his place once he found form. There were rumours that Cucurella wasn't fancied by Poch though, so maybe he doesn't rate him or there's other issues with him behind the scenes. But I would have thought Cucurella would be ideal for how he generally likes to play.
He was fantastic and he shouldn't be loaned out he should be our starting left back. The difference between him and Chilwell/Cucurella is night and day.

pocco

loco
He was fantastic and he shouldn't be loaned out he should be our starting left back. The difference between him and Chilwell/Cucurella is night and day.
Did you see much of Cucurella at Brighton? I know a lot of you don't rate him based on what you've seen maybe, but he was really good for Brighton. At his best he's a much better player than Chilwell for me. Poch should be trying to get him back to that level again.

Out of interest, what is your assessment of him from what he's done at Chelsea? The good and bad.

I think Hall is ready but you do have two pretty established full backs and isn't Maaten also a LB? Based on what I've seen of both Hall and Maaten, they look like they could play multiple positions. Obviously you're stacked in midfield now though.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
See…. I don’t even think he should be playing LB. I mean, he played well there when we literally had no one else to play the position (Cucurella was having to play CB that first time I think?).

But LB wasn’t his position. That’s more a testament to how good he is that he could just step in and do it.

Should he abandon CM? Does he have he have the pace long term for the wings to be his best shot?

I honestly don’t know -genuine question. He DID get at least one game in midfield for us later on. Did it go badly?

bringbackbebe

See…. I don’t even think he should be playing LB. I mean, he played well there when we literally had no one else to play the position (Cucurella was having to play CB that first time I think?).

But LB wasn’t his position. That’s more a testament to how good he is that he could just step in and do it.

Should he abandon CM? Does he have he have the pace long term for the wings to be his best shot?

I honestly don’t know -genuine question. He DID get at least one game in midfield for us later on. Did it go badly?
This makes it even more confusing. You have this really great prospect but he isn't going to get game time because you've flooded your team with a million players in all positions. It must be terrible being a Chelsea academy player after Boehly takeover.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
That's not true??....Post just 1 link if you can find one, just one..

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea

But he will cost Chelsea at least 12 points a season is it worth it..Chilwell has been great nearly every game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's not true??....Post just 1 link if you can find one, just one..
Post a link of what? Chelsea fans rubbishing Chilwell? What would be the point of that? If you’re on Chelsea twitter, you can’t miss it. Almost any tweet about Chilwell that gains any kind of traction has the replies full of little children who thinks he’s shit and should be sold.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
Post a link of what? Chelsea fans rubbishing Chilwell? What would be the point of that? If you’re on Chelsea twitter, you can’t miss it. Almost any tweet about Chilwell that gains any kind of traction has the replies full of little children who thinks he’s shit and should be sold.
I have only seen that from opposition fans, I'll look again

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This makes it even more confusing. You have this really great prospect but he isn't going to get game time because you've flooded your team with a million players in all positions. It must be terrible being a Chelsea academy player after Boehly takeover.
Academy players are getting games s d chances. Prior to Clearlake we shipped off Musiala without even a look n.

Lewis is getting game time and exposure, he’s had a plan to grow his career and improve, and now he’s either looking at a Prem level loan on increased wages (because we understand his extension is signed), or he has another top level Prem team coming in to try to buy him. People are fighting over his services.

…. seems horrible to be a Chelsea academy prospect?

it baffles me how Oppos don’t see how their arguments totally work against them from a player point of view.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I wouldn't sell Chilwell for anything less than £70m. I would however accept a 40g pack of flame grilled steak flavoured McCoys for Cucurella.

bringbackbebe

Academy players are getting games s d chances. Prior to Clearlake we shipped off Musiala without even a look n.

Lewis is getting game time and exposure, he’s had a plan to grow his career and improve, and now he’s either looking at a Prem level loan on increased wages (because we understand his extension is signed), or he has another top level Prem team coming in to try to buy him. People are fighting over his services.

…. seems horrible to be a Chelsea academy prospect?

it baffles me how Oppos don’t see how their arguments totally work against them from a player point of view.
First, you'll have to figure out where Hall is going to play? LB - you already have Chilwell and Cucu. Midfield? You already have Caicedo, Lavia, Enzo, Gallagher, Chuk, Olise. It's packed. I'd love to see how these players eventually develop.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
First, you'll have to figure out where Hall is going to play? LB - you already have Chilwell and Cucu. Midfield? You already have Caicedo, Lavia, Enzo, Gallagher, Chuk, Olise. It's packed. I'd love to see how these players eventually develop.
I think if he wants to be at Chelsea, he might have to accept LB is his home (Maatsen has opposite problem, he might have to accept LW and CAM as his new home). There's a lot of variations to the LB that could suit him and he would bring things to the table that neither Chilwell and Cucurella have in their skillset.

It seems like Chelsea have realised Cucurella was a terrible mistake and are actively shopping him and are seemingly happy accept a huge hit in his valuation to get rid. I'd be surprised if he was still here beyond this season. In the meantime, Hall needs game time and Palace is a great temporary landing spot for him. Let's not forget he's still only 18.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
4 academy players have become members of the first team squad since his takeover.

pocco

loco
But he will cost Chelsea at least 12 points a season is it worth it..Chilwell has been great nearly every game.
Cost them 12 points how? I've seen him for Brighton and he was very good, so I'm wondering what he's doing (or not doing) at Chelsea.

At Brighton he was aggressive, covered the length of the pitch well, his passing was very good even under pressure, he added to the attack well when he went forward.

When I watch Chilwell he isn't amazing. And I think he looks suspect defensively and is far less aggressive than Cucurella. Obviously I don't watch Chelsea anywhere near as often as you though.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
According to geordie journos transfer is moving closer, fee expected to be around £30m. Will be interesting to see how he develops under Howe.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Cost them 12 points how? I've seen him for Brighton and he was very good, so I'm wondering what he's doing (or not doing) at Chelsea.

At Brighton he was aggressive, covered the length of the pitch well, his passing was very good even under pressure, he added to the attack well when he went forward.

When I watch Chilwell he isn't amazing. And I think he looks suspect defensively and is far less aggressive than Cucurella. Obviously I don't watch Chelsea anywhere near as often as you though.
Forget what you saw at Brighton. He's a contender for worst player I've ever seen play for Chelsea. Complete liability defensively, never passes forwards, constantly losing the ball. He's been an absolute disaster so far and I'm not exaggerating.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Gallagher, Broja, Hall and Colwill?
Yep, even if Hall ends up going (which for me would be a big mistake) we've been well above most clubs and every big club when it comes to integrating academy players into the first team squad in recent times.

Every year bar one since 2016 atleast one academy player became a member of the first team squad, the idea we don't give any chances is incredibly outdated.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Selling him to a smaller PL club where he can develop while inserting a buy back clause would be one thing. It would be sad but understandable. But selling him to Newcastle who we will be battling for a top 4 sport for the foreseeable future would be terrible business.

This is one of those scenarios where having an insane academy that produces top talents all the time kinda bites us in the ass. Because if he’s being thought of as a LB/LWB we’ve also got Maatsen who is just 21 and looks extremely promising. And then in midfield (Hall’s actual position) we’ve obviously loaded up with young stars.

We’ve got a huge headache here deciding what’s best for Hall.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
I told you guys earlier, Hall’s family are huge toon fans, it will have a major influence on his decision.

mav_9me

I liked Hall a lot particularly his passing. Wasn't surprised to find out he is actually a CM. He looked class.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The only reason I can think that this could be happening is Hall insisting on being a midfielder, where he’s played pretty much his entire youth career, and seeing no path forward at Chelsea in his preferred position and therefore requesting a transfer.

At LB there is a clear pathway. I don’t think Cucurella will be around much longer and I think he can win his battle with Chilwell if/when he returns next season. I know he got a good taste of first team football last season but it should be remembered that he’s only 18. A PL loan at an established club like Palace would be superb for his development.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The only reason I can think that this could be happening is Hall insisting on being a midfielder, where he’s played pretty much his entire youth career, and seeing no path forward at Chelsea in his preferred position and therefore requesting a transfer.

At LB there is a clear pathway. I don’t think Cucurella will be around much longer and I think he can win his battle with Chilwell if/when he returns next season. I know he got a good taste of first team football last season but it should be remembered that he’s only 18. A PL loan at an established club like Palace would be superb for his development.
Did he ever play centre midfield?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It was his main position throughout the age groups in the youth system.
I liked the look of what I seen of him last season, was wondering if he'd fit sort of a Zinchenko type role.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I liked the look of what I seen of him last season, was wondering if he'd fit sort of a Zinchenko type role.
That’s exactly the sort of role I was thinking when I said he could bring something to the LB role that neither Chilwell or Cucurella have in their skillset. I think he’d be incredible there and could turn into one of the best in the league but I also understand if he says ‘nope
I’m a midfielder, either play me in my natural position and let me go to a team that will’.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Or we will sell some of them for large profits to other good teams?

Now apparently Newcastle is looking at Cucurella?

I would be interested in seeing how he could play with a haircut. I swear most of the baffling, through on goal moments have been lack of peripheral vision due to those poodle puffs