@LFC retweet Munich references

Baxter

These other songs have been sung as well by LFC fans in reference to the Munich disaster, with some lyric changes. I like to Move it, move it became I like to Munich, Munich. And bright side of life became runway for ice

walsh

I think the LFC account made a genuine mistake, probably didn't make the connection. The dirty little gobshite who tweeted it originally should be put down though.

Edit: Apparently this is the little rat:

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This deserves it's own thread, it's been discussed within the twitter thread already.

Either an absolute dolt runs it, or they are even bigger cnuts than imaginable.

coolredwine

lameredboots
A teenager runs it, that's for sure.

Couldn't catch the tweet last night, but don't think they should get the publicity they are desperately seeking.

Lynk

A teenager runs it, that's for sure.

Couldn't catch the tweet last night, but don't think they should get the publicity they are desperately seeking.
On the contrary, I think their cowardice deserves it.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
It's poor stuff, but I doubt the person/s running the LFC twitter account are even Liverpool fans. They probably had no idea as to the relevance of those songs.

The Wizard

It's poor stuff, but I doubt the person/s running the LFC twitter account are even Liverpool fans. They probably had no idea as to the relevance of those songs.
Yeah that must be it... they were probably all Chelsea fans. Now where have I heard that before? Never your fault.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah that must be it... they were probably all Chelsea fans. Now where have I heard that before? Never your fault.

Just pointing out that it's most likely a case of inadvertence rather than a purposeful insult. No need for the victim stuff.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

To be fair, Shades has a point. Not every employee at Liverpool football club has to be a Liverpool fan. They could have been clueless as to what these meant at the time. The club should just issue an apology and advise the current employees about the Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough incidents.

coolredwine

lameredboots
To be fair, Shades has a point. Not every employee at Liverpool football club has to be a Liverpool fan. They could have been clueless as to what these meant at the time. The club should just issue an apology and advise the current employees about the Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough incidents.
Any employee does know the history of their field/organisation/etc.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Any employee does know the history of their field/organisation/etc.

Not really bud, we take football too seriously that's why we know almost everything. You can't possibly tell me that a fresh graduate from the US comes to work for Man Utd and knows every single detail about the club (Beginnings, 1910s, Munich Air Disaster, Busby Babes, major rivalries, tragedies (you know which ones). I'm really guessing this guy is a "new" generation guy to be honest, who has no idea about what LFC is and how they are connected to Man Utd. If he is indeed a Liverpool fan, then he is scum, but I really doubt he is a fan to be honest.

AlwaysRedwood

That's not the case in the states. They higher someone specifically to do social media for the team. Usually that person works for the club. I seriously doubt it's just farmed out to some uninformed guy to tweet. That's a ridiculous idea in this day and age.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Normally your PR department wouldn't let someone with no idea run any sort of social media. Saying that Liverpool's PR department seems to be shite, so it could well be.

Swaters16

Why would someone reply the way they did to the tweet, not just retweet, if they didn't understand the reference. Why would Liverpool's dressing room songs be by Frank Sinatra? They clearly are not. Not to mention if this guy didn't understand (because he isn't a fan ((yeah right)). Then why would he be in the dressing room and asking questions about music to play?
Quite simply the person who was running the account at the time is as thick as a plank and a disgusting person.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Not saying the person who made the tweet is definitely not a fan, just that they've likely been employed on their professional capability rather than their club allegiance - meaning there's a decent possibility they may not be. Not that it really matters anyway.

That's not the case in the states. They higher someone specifically to do social media for the team. Usually that person works for the club. I seriously doubt it's just farmed out to some uninformed guy to tweet. That's a ridiculous idea in this day and age.

Possibly, but I know of a number of people who work within LFC that have no interest in the club outside of their jobs. For example, Ged Poynton, the Anfield stadium manager - is one of these people. Furthermore, plenty of less cynically minded fans wouldn't instantly recognise the reference.

Even so, it shouldn't be happening and I agree with Slevs that employees should be briefed on things like this.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not saying the person who made the tweet is definitely not a fan, just that they've likely been employed on their professional capability rather than their club allegiance - meaning there's a decent possibility they may not be. Not that it really matters anyway.

Possibly, but I know of a number of people who work within LFC that have no interest in the club outside of their jobs. For example, Ged Poynton, the Anfield stadium manager - is one of these people. Furthermore, plenty of less cynically minded fans wouldn't instantly recognise the reference.

Even so, it shouldn't be happening and I agree with Slevs that employees should be briefed on things like this.

Of course they should be briefed once we come to understand that it's not intentional. In which case, he should get fired.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Those saying the @LFC didnt get the reference...thats pretty naive anyway, but then why respond to the original knob by saying its what they listen to in the dressing room Its that bit that makes no sense. Either the guy writing @LFC knew exactly what it meant but thought his response (and the original tweet) was so subtle nobody would get it, or the more disturbing possibility, that those songs ARE played in the dressing room and @LFC knew it but not the reason!!

Aporkalypse

Jimmy Rice appears to be the guy running @LFC, at least from his personal twitter it seems that way (@JimmyRiceWriter) Definitely a Liverpool fan if so.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Also, sorry but the idea that the guy or girl writing @LFC might not understand hillsbrough/Munich are absolutely retarded. OF COURSE they do, it would have been top of the things to learn before they got that job, hell i wouldnt be surprised if the password to the account is 'dontmentionhillsbroughormunichever'. Think about it, this is the one mouthpiece for the entire club that whatever you say on it will go out to millions of people, almost no other form of media they have access to can do the same thing except for press conferences. The poeople writing on it will know exactly all the referneces etc and certainly will NOT be some kid/intern in the PR dept...thats a stupid argument.

Have we ascertained that this is actually the official account? Is it not a strange 'competition' to run anyway? What other responses from LFC fans would they expect?? Sounds like a wum/hack top me

Lynk

Have we ascertained that this is actually the official account? Is it not a strange 'competition' to run anyway? What other responses from LFC fans would they expect?? Sounds like a wum/hack top me
Verified account.

It's Liverpool's official twitter.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Verified account.

It's Liverpool's official twitter.
If anything gets made of it they'll just say they didn't understand the references and then possibly go on the offensive saying, really, they're the victims in all this since they've been made to look foolish.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I think the LFC account made a genuine mistake, probably didn't make the connection. The dirty little gobshite who tweeted it originally should be put down though.

Edit: Apparently this is the little rat:

Looks like a total spastic.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
The more I think about it, there is no way they didn't get the rereference. I really think they thought they were being so subtle nobody would get it.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I am not sure I get the whole thing. Can someone explain this to me?
I am guessing the songs are about flights and air-crashes, is that right? And people are disappointed cause the LFC twitter account responds with a post that makes fun of the whole thing. Is that right?
Have these songs been used before too?

Count Orduck

Good God, I swear some people actively look for the worst in people, and to be offended. I think there's a very good chance that the Munich references were missed by the person in charge of the account. I certainly wouldn't have immediately picked up on them except for this thread expicitly pointing them out. Bear in mnd the person running that account is probably dealing with hundreds of tweets coming in - they probably just took it at face value.

As for the "dressing room" comment, he's likely just making a crack about the rather odd mix of genres. I find it unlikely that the players listen to much Frank Sinatra, so I suspect he's being a bit silly and making a joke. That's eminantly more possible than him making a Munich joke and thinking he'll get away with it.

There's no doubt that the original reply is a Munich reference now that I've looked at it properly, but I don't think the guy running the official LFC account picked up on that. It's a naive mistake, but an easy enough one to make - to assume the answers are in the same spirit as the question.

It's kind of sad how a bunch of you instantly assume the very worst, just to reinforce your gloomy worldview and, what, use it as another stick to beat Liverpool FC with?

Siorac

OK, I get that 'Come fly with me' is a quite tasteless reference. But the other two? I assume it's only the Sinatra song that's problematic; I mean 'I like to move it' has about two lines in it, repeated a billion times.

King_Eric

OK, I get that 'Come fly with me' is a quite tasteless reference. But the other two? I assume it's only the Sinatra song that's problematic; I mean 'I like to move it' has about two lines in it, repeated a billion times.

These other songs have been sung as well by LFC fans in reference to the Munich disaster, with some lyric changes. I like to Move it, move it became I like to Munich, Munich. And bright side of life became runway for ice