Liar Liar Pants on Fire

UpWithRivers

I hear the same lies regurgitated over and over. The thread to try and point out lies and try to find the truth. What I say is also maybe not correct - I would appreciate an education if its wrong. Also raise any other points that the CAF believes or the general football community that are not true.

You cant win with kids - I don’t understand why people keep up this view that we should just play the kids – Chong, Gomez, Greenwood . Its been 20 years since Hansen said this and he was only wrong via a freak crop of ridiculously good young players.

Since then and before the 95/96 United the league has never been won by a group of young kids. The average number of under 23’s in a Premier league winning side is around 2. The average age is around 27. Its like someone saying Leicester will never win the league then 20 years on everyone still trying to replicate what they did. Its nonsense.

On top of it the 95/96 team were all over 20 except P Neville. And they came into a successful team. Ok the previous season was hampered by kung Fu kicks and we didn’t win but we were still second and a very successful team at that stage. Now we want to rely on Chong, Gomez, Greenwood – all under 20. 17, 18 and 19 year olds. On top of that we want them to walk into a team that came sixth. Had massive unrest in the dressing room and generally is sht.

No current top team is relying on kids. None. 0. Nada. Yes they have some youngsters coming through but the foundations are experienced pros that have proven themselves year in year out.

Why do we keep banging on about this. Its factually incorrect as a proven methodology. Win with kids was an outlier in in statistical data.

It takes time to build a team. This factually correct but its more meaningless drivel spouted out as a positive when reality it is an excuse. Yes there is a period of time between not being successful and being successful. But just saying we need time to build a team is wishy washy grey statement that has no factual basis to stand on. What does it mean? – 1 year? 2? 10? Its like going to a restaurant and they say it takes time to make your food. Yeah ok but what a stupid pointless statement. You need a concrete educated guess – 30/40 minutes Sir. Or football wise we need a plan – Year 1 fourth/ Year 2 Second /Year 3 - First. Don’t just say time.

When Chelsea were bought out in what 2003 they went from around 3/4 to second to first. When Man City were bought out 2008? They went from 10 to 5 to 1st. So lets say 3 seasons? But these were teams with no history. They were nothing clubs. Especially City. They were a nothing bottom half club so their starting baseline should be much lower than ours. Also they made massive leaps every season. We are a totally different proposition. We were Champions when Sir Alex left. The most successful and best team and with a sht load of history. Then we have had 6 years of – 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th and a Europa thrown in. So that’s 6 years – how much longer is this rebuild going to take?

We should buy British Players – Again where is the facts to back up this statement? The number of British players has been dropping every year in the Premier league. Its around what 35 percent British players now. And in the top 6 even lower – 20 percent? What does that say? It says that there are not enough top quality British players. And it tells us the top teams are winning the Premiership not by building a British core but doing the opposite. So how does this grand theory hold up? It goes against all the actual reality of the current situation in the premier league.

We have bought some good British players – James, Maguire, WB. And we have some promising British players. But even if we win the league next year that does not support this theory. It will be a statistical outlier. Just like you cant win things with kids.

You don’t need to spend money – Chelsea after bought out Abramovich spent massively – 100 net spend over 2 or 3 seasons. Man City the same. They didn’t just go from sht teams to good teams spending on bargains here and there. They spent massively. Both teams are the amongst the top 5 spenders over the last what 10 years including Real, Baraca etc. The outlier is Leicester but you can see what happened to them after they failed to keep investing very large numbers. It shows you cannot sustain top four without a massive spend. Two other teams are up there without massive spends Liverpool and Spurs. Liverpool is a bit of a myth. They fluked by selling Coutinho for 140 mill and then spent all that cash in 2018 on top players – Van Dijk record CB signing but they also got Fabinho, Keita and Allison in 2018. Spurs has managed with little spending but what have they won? Nothing. Statistically you need to spend money to make it to the top and the lower you are the more you have to spend.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Nothing will change as long as Ed and the Glaziers are at the helm. This much is obvious now.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Some useful points but in the last 6 years we have spent big, very big and on continental players not British players. We have hired successful managers. All of this has failed so why not try something different like a rebuild around young hungry British players. We have nothing to lose.

UpWithRivers

Some useful points but in the last 6 years we have spent big, very big and on continental players not British players. We have hired successful managers. All of this has failed so why not try something different like a rebuild around young hungry British players. We have nothing to lose.
Because it's a it only worked 20 years ago and has no basis that it would work now. Might as well try replicate Leciester. What's to loose?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I hear the same lies regurgitated over and over. The thread to try and point out lies and try to find the truth. What I say is also maybe not correct - I would appreciate an education if its wrong. Also raise any other points that the CAF believes or the general football community that are not true.

You cant win with kids - I don’t understand why people keep up this view that we should just play the kids – Chong, Gomez, Greenwood . Its been 20 years since Hansen said this and he was only wrong via a freak crop of ridiculously good young players.

Since then and before the 95/96 United the league has never been won by a group of young kids. The average number of under 23’s in a Premier league winning side is around 2. The average age is around 27. Its like someone saying Leicester will never win the league then 20 years on everyone still trying to replicate what they did. Its nonsense.

On top of it the 95/96 team were all over 20 except P Neville. And they came into a successful team. Ok the previous season was hampered by kung Fu kicks and we didn’t win but we were still second and a very successful team at that stage. Now we want to rely on Chong, Gomez, Greenwood – all under 20. 17, 18 and 19 year olds. On top of that we want them to walk into a team that came sixth. Had massive unrest in the dressing room and generally is sht.

No current top team is relying on kids. None. 0. Nada. Yes they have some youngsters coming through but the foundations are experienced pros that have proven themselves year in year out.

Why do we keep banging on about this. Its factually incorrect as a proven methodology. Win with kids was an outlier in in statistical data.
FIrstly, No one (well not many anyway) is expecting us to win the league - the aim is obviously top4.
Secondly, I am not expecting the likes of Gomez, Greenwood and Tuanzebe to play as much as the Class of 92 did in 1995/96 - I doubt anyone (except perhaps @Stobzilla !) is expecting them to be starting the majority of games, I would just want them to be part of the first team squad and expect most of their game time to come in the cups or from the bench

and if you look at Liverpool and Spurs they are doing better than us with several youth players getting a lot of gametime

Coincidentally, I called this week's podcast "You Cant Win Anything With Kids' - have a listen!

Zlatattack

FIrstly, No one (well not many anyway) is expecting us to win the league - the aim is obviously top4.
Secondly, I am not expecting the likes of Gomez, Greenwood and Tuanzebe to play as much as the Class of 92 did in 1995/96 - I doubt anyone (except perhaps @Stobzilla !) is expecting them to be starting the majority of games, I would just want them to be part of the first team squad and expect most of their game time to come in the cups or from the bench

and if you look at Liverpool and Spurs they are doing better than us with several youth players getting a lot of gametime

Coincidentally, I called this week's podcast "You Cant Win Anything With Kids' - have a listen!
Therein lies the problem. Why are we suddenly accepting mediocrity as the goal?

Hawks2008

Agreed, there are lots of lies going around lately, my favourite being "It's survival of the fittest" and "there is no hiding place" and "some players won't be here next season".

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Therein lies the problem. Why are we suddenly accepting mediocrity as the goal?
Because last season was a mess and it isnt going to get sorted out in one summer - obviously its just the goal for this season and next season I would expect to be challenging

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Busby Babes did it in 56 and 57. Class of 92 did everything the Babes could have done. Now, in our moment of despair we're in for the most memorable season we can ever remember. Greenwood, McTominay, Gomes, Chong, Garner and Tuanzabe. Solskjaer's squirts.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Agreed, there are lots of lies going around lately, my favourite being "It's survival of the fittest" and "there is no hiding place" and "some players won't be here next season".
If only the person that made these statements had the power to remove the players :nono:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yikes

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Here’s a liar

Next Summer I was going to do a league table of 'sources' to show how much actually turns out to be complete bullshit.

I have decided to save my energy though and just call it all bullshit until it is on the BBC as official.

DRM

Just accept who we are and where we are..i.e a mediocre team that is no longer set up to compete with the very best. Accept it now, it will do your mental health a lot of good. We had our time, 20 years of success under SAF and my god was it amazing. But now, its our turn in the wilderness.

macheda14

It's neither. How are facts moaning?
Facts can be moaning. ‘Urgh it’s raining outside, why won’t it stop raining, just so wet’.

Anyway to answer most of your points:

‘Can’t win anything with kids’, no one expects us to win the league this year. Might as well blood in some great potential who can become experienced and the nucleus of our future team.

‘It takes time to build a team’, now it does. No club could afford to have the major transfer windows chelsea and city did back in the day. Spending £200 million could feasibly only get you three players in the current market. ALSO it takes time to build a team when you’ve had now 4 different managers with different play styles. This is why we need a DoF

‘We should buy British players’, 1, we’re buying players who see United as the top of the top so will be very committed to playing for us and 2, Liverpool and Spurs both have very strong British cores to their sides and look at how they’re doing. The England youth teams (apart from the most recent competition) have been doing incredibly well. There are now a lot of very good, very technical, young British players about.

‘You don’t need to spend money’, well you’ve got me there. Of course you need to spend money, but I don’t think anyone believes you don’t need to spend money. Have you seen the state of this forum right now, it’s all anyone is talking about.

Imran Mamdani

if y'all think about this rationally;

we have had a change of top players... that didn't work
we have had a change of top managers... that didn't work
the only other thing that hasn't changed since our dip is the mgmt (Ed, glazers, etc) - that should suggest where the problems lie.

I am all for unity and supporting the team but this is getting ridiculous now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
While we didn't get everything we wanted I don't think it's not because the club didn't try. Losing Herrera was a mistake but the wages he was asking for (after only really cementing his first team place this season) were extortianate, a little foresight would've gone a long way with him. Had we kept him our midfield would be looking very healthy. The only two gaping holes left in our squad are AM and RW, we've put all our eggs in the Sancho basket, for AM we tried signing Eriksen and Dybala but neither wanted to join us/we walked away from the deals because the players weren't fully committed to the project. We had another two gaping holes in our back line and fixed them with two very good players who immediately improve us. It does take time to build a team, especially with the level of competition around these days. We are building a team, despite what some think and if our signings work out ... well a lot can change in two years with clear direction and for the first time in a while it seems like we do have some direction and a profile that we're sticking to.

Regarding the point about the youth. We're not expecting to win anything with them right now, but this is the most ridiculously talented generation we've had since the Co92. We want to bed them in so we can eventually start to try and win things with them. It's not just about Gomes, Greenwood and Chong, we have talented players in every single position from the 18s-23s. There's a reason so many of us want the club to show a little faith in them. We might not have the seasoned pro's to help educate them, which I concede is bad planning, in fact most of our squad is made up of 23-26 year old. Pogba and De Gea being the only quality senior players for the kids to look up to, purchases like Lukaku and co were meant to be in the Pogba bracket but he didn't fit our style and we've been left with a void of senior players up to par.

Because last season was a mess and it isnt going to get sorted out in one summer - obviously its just the goal for this season and next season I would expect to be challenging
Agreed, and to add to this, I don't think it's even that we've not been trying to build a team capable of challenging for titles but we've been trusting the wrong managers to do it.

DRM

Next Summer I was going to do a league table of 'sources' to show how much actually turns out to be complete bullshit.

I have decided to save my energy though and just call it all bullshit until it is on the BBC as official.
almost 90% is bullshit

Flytan

Looks like the Glazers/Woodward found their "yes man" manager in Ole to me honestly. He has an excuse to fail this season now. Embarrassing really. It would be one thing if we actually played youth but we all know Mata, Lingard, Matic, Smalling, Jones, etc are gonna get time over the likes of Gomes/Tuanzebe.

adedawson

We should buy British Players – Again where is the facts to back up this statement? The number of British players has been dropping every year in the Premier league. Its around what 35 percent British players now. And in the top 6 even lower – 20 percent? What does that say? It says that there are not enough top quality British players. And it tells us the top teams are winning the Premiership not by building a British core but doing the opposite. So how does this grand theory hold up? It goes against all the actual reality of the current situation in the premier league.

We have bought some good British players – James, Maguire, WB. And we have some promising British players. But even if we win the league next year that does not support this theory. It will be a statistical outlier. Just like you cant win things with kids.
Your insinuating we buy British players because they are better. We buy British players due to national pride. As you stated so many teams buy foreign.

In fact buying British or having a strong homegrown presence and succeeding is a brag in the opposite direction to what your suggesting. "look what we have achieved with home grown talent".

It also helps the national teams when you have a contingent that comes from one team as they gel well together. It's why the FA brought in the homegrown rulings too try improve the quality of home talent.

This is evident with recent English team.

Reactions: Sultan

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The kids were all 20-21 in 95-96. Plus Giggs was 22.

Gomes is 19, Greenwood is not 18 till Oct.
Ok Tuanzabe is 22 but that's very young for a CB.

It's a big ask for them to do anything major in the PL. It will take time for them to develop.

Ishpan2

With the team we have, who starts over the youth? In a 4-2-3-1, we have 3 senior players who can play either RW or CAM- Mata, Sanchez, and Lingard. So either we start Mata/Sanchez, or a youth player has to start. You can't not expect them to play much when we don't have the attack players for Ole to let them stay on the bench and develop as they should.

People keep using the argument: everything will be alright because the youth will only play sometimes. Look at our team! There are so many holes; two starting quality midfielders. Matic is so slow he makes me cry as opposition run passed him and Fred has a worse first touch than Lukaku. If Pogba or Mc get injured, we're screwed. If Lingard gets injured, we have to move Mata to RW or push youth there (James (out of position) or Greenwood). City, Liverpool, and Tottenham have a whole second team of depth. Our bench will be full of physically shot grandpas like Matic, Sanchez, and Mata (who may even start) or youth players. Ole will have no choice but to start playing youth a full 90 for every game the second we start facing injuries.

Liverpool and Spurs do better because they have quality players and play their youth at times in games where they are setup to succeed. 2 months in when Lingard and Pogba is injured, I guarantee we will have youth players starting in the Prem and the Europa league. There simply is no real comparison to those other teams, Woodward has left us with such a skeleton of a team: the biggest team in the league has to reach into u21s (this is the problem, we have no choice but to play youth) to find starters at important positions because we don't have enough players left.

You can win stuff with kids, but we will be hurting our kids' development by forcing them into high-pressure situations. The second a youth player makes a few mistakes in a row, they will be torn apart by the media and fans because this is the highest level of football in the world, and justifiably so because if they weren't ready, they shouldn't be playing.

Last edited:

Gordon S

You can't win anything with kids? Can you win anything with older players that are mostly average and/or declining fast?

It takes time to build a team. Well it does. The club has been rebuilding the academy last few years. We have been recruiting lots of people and changing the setup there. We have done the same with our scouting department. We are trying to get the right people in at the right places and it takes time. It takes a lot of time and i would say it's impossible to predict just how long it will take.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who said survival of the fittest and any player that is sold will need to be replaced?

SCJY

The kids were all 20-21 in 95-96. Plus Giggs was 22.

Gomes is 19, Greenwood is not 18 till Oct.
Ok Tuanzabe is 22 but that's very young for a CB.

It's a big ask for them to do anything major in the PL. It will take time for them to develop.
They are all ready IMO. Maybe not being shoe-in starters, but they are all ready for first team rotation. It's now or never for this group of young players, they have this one season to establish themselves in the first team and succeed in obtaining top 4 and if they fail, the board's strategy will pivot once again to investing. We don't need another situation again like with Pogba who left due to lack of play time and we had to buy him back again for a world record transfer fee.

Gomes, Rashford, Chong, Greenwood, McT and the most talented group on academy graduates we have seen since the class of 92, the difference this time is that our graduates are all strikers compared to the class of 92, where they were mostly midfielders.

People keep saying we had Cantona, big pete, Pally, Bruce, Irwin, Keane back then so it was easier to bed the youngsters into the team... but a lot of it comes down to the manager giving them the opportunity, and no manager since Fergie has ever put so much faith in the youth as Ole is showing this term, so it's exciting. If it works, WOW is all I can say... If it doesn't, that's OK too, it's better than if Ole spent 200m+ and has a bunch wasters warming the bench. Ole is smart and in this for the long term. If his net spend is very low and he's making progress every season over the next 3-6 years, he might even be here for 20 and bring United back to #1 in the next cycle and he'll go down in history as an even bigger legend than SAF possibly, because no player for the club has ever gone onto to manage the club to great success before.

I have faith in Ole and the current strategy, at least for this year. In a way, I'm glad we didn't sign anyone because this season, Ole needs to give as much minutes to the youth as possible and the existing players need to sink or swim and perform to their maximum.

The board tried and failed to buy success... Let's put faith in youth and reestablishing the identity of the club. Nobody knows if it's going to work, but it's definitely a more sensible approach. Sometimes success is in avoiding failure. Don't sign anyone and Ole can't fail and we can't have any more flops on our hands. Even world class players coming in now would flop in our team.

I imagine the expectation for this season will be quite low from the board. Maybe they are OK with another 5th or 6th place finish if what we hear is to be believed and success on the pitch is irrelevant to them. Of course, United may start losing sponsors if they are out of CL for too long, so that's the risk. I don't think the board are penny-pinching at all in fairness. There's clearly a completely new approach being bedded and for that reason I'm very excited about next season.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Some players aren’t here now! How do you know all the other squad members haven’t really impressed Ole in pre-season?

Quit the negativity and get behind the lads now!

Ishpan2

Some players aren’t here now! How do you know all the other squad members haven’t really impressed Ole in pre-season?

Quit the negativity and get behind the lads now!
Because we don't have a proper RW or a good CAM or a third midfielder next to Pogba or Mc. That's not survival of the fittest, that's start whoever we can to get 11 players on the field.

I'm behind the players, just not behind Woodward because we have the most obviously glaring holes out of the top 8 teams. Even arsenal got a midfielder and a CB this window. We got a championship attacker and 0 midfielders.

AnotherDayIsToday

Did you see the game against Kristiansund?. A fecking shame couldn't score a goal in 90 min against a Norwegian average team
before Mata took a dive and we got a penalty!

We need a striker!!!
We need a midfielder!!!

It very strange it has been 6 yars with a completly miserable midfield but nothing happen.

The last striker was RVP.

Another year with 5-6 place.

And probably a new manager after christmas.

djembatheking

Just accept who we are and where we are..i.e a mediocre team that is no longer set up to compete with the very best. Accept it now, it will do your mental health a lot of good. We had our time, 20 years of success under SAF and my god was it amazing. But now, its our turn in the wilderness.
Yep . that is where I am at . I hope we improve as the season goes on with a style of play , player improvement , commitment and not giving up . I don`t care where we finish or that we don`t win anything I just want to enjoy watching United and not feel like I have just wasted 90 mins watching a half arsed cowardly performance .
I can`t see it though , have a feeling things could get worse before they get better . If we go as long as Liverpool without a title then truth is , being in my fifties , I might not see United win the league again .

Alabaster Codify7

Who said survival of the fittest and any player that is sold will need to be replaced?

Our little Yes Man. That's who.
And no, replacing Lukaku with Greenwood isn't replacing Lukaku - Mason was in the squad for the remainder of last season.
Replacing Herrera with? Garner? He's 17yrs old, he won't be replacing anyone in terms of contribution or game-time.

Rista

Agree with much of this. Especially the "slow rebuild" being the right way when if anything, the evidence proves contrary. Also that we should stop buying star players and stop hiring managers with a proven record "because we've tried that and it didn't work". And yet the best team in the country is literally a bunch of expensive players and probably the best coach in the game too. There is no magic formula for success. Buying young players with potential or giving kids a chance has its pros and cons. What we do know is that clubs that spend money usually win stuff. Even Liverpool who you could kind of say are an exception to the rule identified the areas they needed to strengthen and spent big.