Lifelong United fan Alessia Russo returning "home" with Arsenal to play United tonight at LSV, how should United fans welcome her back?

Dannn411

Lifelong fan of club and leading player at club leaves club after club's best season. How does that make any sense? Why do footballers like to lie?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
And does United fans treatment of Russo influence Mary Earps decision making after this season?

As Earps allegedly desperately tried to stage a late transfer-window escape from United this summer to also join Arsenal!
Don't think Earps did,

Russo deserves a healthy round of boos and jeers, then a ripple of applause after tha game once we beat them to put them out of the title race after only two games. :D

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I guess the obvious question to this would be, if they are still attending United games as they enjoy womens football but still wish Arsenal all the best, maybe they are a Russo fans and general womens game fans and not United fans? I see it all the time how this is dividing the fan base and creating drama on different United platforms.
I don't believe that any home fans attending the game tonight will be wishing Arsenal all the best, you might find some mentalists on Twitter etc but in real life it doesn't exist

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Is she any good as a footballer? This is equivalent to Rashford joining City?
Not quite that level as she's from Kent, not Manchester, and she was only with the club for 3yrs but she did grow up in a United supporting family

Chairman Steve

Lifelong fan of club who joins the gooners for free? She is Sol Campbell so I say boo.

rooneyberbatov

A healthy rivalry is nothing bad but to be fair I don’t hold grudges because I see her as someone who wants to explore things in life. She had the chance to join Chelsea when she was starting her career but she opted for moving to the States and playing for the Tar Heels, which is btw one of the better universities out there.
I think she’ll move on again soon, just hopefully not to Chelsea because then I’m changing my mind about her :D

Spoony

The People's President
She did grow up a United fan - there are pics of her in United kits as a small child

Fair enough. Possible that the family is more passionate than her, though? I know nothing about her but from what I've read her move is properly bizarre if she's indeed a Red.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Fair enough. Possible that the family is more passionate than her, though? I know nothing about her but from what I've read her move is properly bizarre if she's indeed a Red.
Check the video Tweet I just added - posting stuff like that makes her leaving even worse IMO!

binary bot
I don’t think being a childhood fan of the club as primarily a mens team carries the same connection over to a team that’s only recently been properly formed.

Lightbringer

Wait, there's gonna be fans?

People actually watch women's football?!
The stadium is sold out.

Leigh Sports Village is a multi-use sports, retail and housing development in Leigh, Greater Manchester, England. The centrepiece of the development is a 12,000-capacity stadium which is home to professional rugby league team Leigh Leopards, Manchester United's Under-21 and Academy teams, and Manchester United W.F.C

Capacity: 12,000

DickDastardly

Feck me. Good for them!

To be honest, i'd bring my 6 year old kid if i was near there so she could watch, if she had any interest.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
why not boo the glazers for not funding the womens team enough?

Lightbringer

What’s exactly the reason she wants to leave and go to Arsenal? A new challenge?
The exact reasons has never been specified. Although its been said the long negotiations with United spanning 1-2 years did not impress her. Russo had a long injury spell before the euros in england, that would have been the best time for United to lock her up long time, then she exploded in the euros and her value sky rocketed. And from there I believe United did not value her as a player to give her a world class contract especially with United being a new womens club and building the org slowly and responsible.

United did match Arsenals offer in the end its been said, but Russo had already set her sight on the greener grass in London by then. Her agent who is also her brother sent PMs to United fans on social media and blamed everything on United to try keep fan backslash at a minimum.

Arsenal is a power house on the womens side and playing for them would give her an easier way to play champions league, win domestic and european titles.

The counter to that would be to stay with her teammates and create history at United, as United finished in front of Arsenal in the league last season.

So basically Russo jumped off the United train just as United made it as a top club!

sugar_kane

What the feck is the obsession around booing (and whether not to boo) amongst football fans these days?

It seems to have attained some heightened level of importance rather than just a stupid thing dickheads do.

I don't think this situation is something that anyone, particularly people who are going to be at a women's football game (who you'd expect would be a bit more enlightened), are going to give a shit about.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
She went to Arsenal for the same money United had offered her.
We had messed her around for a while, though, and have seemingly done a similar thing with Earps. They aren't immune from the chaotic way we're run as a club, though it has been improving since we hired a head of women's football (which has had its own teething problems).

Lightbringer

What the feck is the obsession around booing (and whether not to boo) amongst football fans these days?

It seems to have attained some heightened level of importance rather than just a stupid thing dickheads do.

I don't think this situation is something that anyone, particularly people who are going to be at a women's football game (who you'd expect would be a bit more enlightened), are going to give a shit about.
With that statement, you mean there will be no booing I assume since womens football fans would be more intelligent?

Lightbringer

Feck me. Good for them!

To be honest, i'd bring my 6 year old kid if i was near there so she could watch, if she had any interest.
Turn on the telly and watch the game tonight, should be a cracker :cool:

Two of the best teams and two of the biggest rivals with Russo making it even a more heated game!

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Lifelong fan of club and leading player at club leaves club after club's best season. How does that make any sense? Why do footballers like to lie?
I am not sure she lied about being United fan. She probably just want to get easy glory at Arsenal, its easier to go to a club stacked with players and harvest titles rather than working hard for them at United. But I agree with United coming strong its really really odd timing.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
She went to Arsenal for the same money United had offered her.
eventually and reluctantly

Arsenals budget is 40% more, shes a southerner, and in the womens game a wage rise means affording a spare bedroom and a nicer car , rather than a 4th lamborghini

Lightbringer

eventually and reluctantly

Arsenals budget is 40% more, shes a southerner, and in the womens game a wage rise means affording a spare bedroom and a nicer car , rather than a 4th lamborghini
Are you sure of that when Russo is the 4th highest earning payer in the WSL from social media, modeling, personal sponsorship, partnership contracts etc. She makes a ton of money outside the salary she gets from the club and those incomes will just keep rising! So I dont think we have any reason to worry about Russos finances in the long term even if she stayed on and was only Man Uniteds best paid player! The cash is rolling in steady for her, thats for sure :cool:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
With that statement, you mean there will be no booing I assume since womens football fans would be more intelligent?
Quite the bigoted statement towards men's football fans, ironically. Why would fans not do the same kind of things that they do in the other game? Because it's women? Is that not sexist?

Martin(6)Buchan

Neither boo or cheer to be honest, but if the girl scores and starts celebrating then it is no holds barred for me

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don’t think being a childhood fan of the club as primarily a mens team carries the same connection over to a team that’s only recently been properly formed.
I agree. Her male footballing heroes growing up may well have been United players, but who knows about her female ones?

Arsenal Ladies were the most dominant team in England from her birth up until she was a teenager so she might have grown up with an affinity for them.

Boo her anyway!

Lightbringer

Quite the bigoted statement towards men's football fans, ironically. Why would fans not do the same kind of things that they do in the other game? Because it's women? Is that not sexist?
Indeed. I suggest you quote the poster and ask for clarifications as the post was rather shocking. I was looking forward to hearing back from the poster about the reasoning from writing that post!

Gandalf

I am not sure she lied about being United fan. She probably just want to get easy glory at Arsenal, its easier to go to a club stacked with players and harvest titles rather than working hard for them at United. But I agree with United coming strong its really really odd timing.
I don't think she lied either but you have to remember she is a girl so not a proper fan anyway. I imagine which club she supports is way down the list of priorities behind having babies and cooking dinner as it should be.

Back To Madeira

I imagine there'll be a burning effigy. Be handy too for fans to toast marshmallows to go with their Bovril.

MDFC Manager

Has shitting in her handbag been suggested yet? If not, shit in her handbag.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s a difficult one, when I went to the games last season I was amazed by how popular Russo was amongst the fans and so I don’t think that most people will be booing her but if the odd few want to do it then I think it’s completely understandable as well. We want women’s football to grow and tribalism is a part of club football

ForeverRed1

It’s a difficult one, when I went to the games last season I was amazed by how popular Russo was amongst the fans and so I don’t think that most people will be booing her but if the odd few want to do it then I think it’s completely understandable as well. We want women’s football to grow and tribalism is a part of club football
That’s what hurts most though, she’s a United fan.. and a popular player, probably second/third most popular after toone/earps. So for her to leave for arsenal.. doesn’t sit right.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think she lied either but you have to remember she is a girl so not a proper fan anyway. I imagine which club she supports is way down the list of priorities behind having babies and cooking dinner as it should be.
I hope you get the shit you deserve for saying such a thing