Lingard and Martial injured - attacking options?

TRUERED89

De Gea

Dalot Smalling Lindelöf Shaw

Matic

Herrera Pogba

Sanchez/Mata

Lukaku Rashford

I wouldn't mind this diamond against Chavski… (Cant get it to show the shape after posting)

Andy_Cole

Give the kids a chance.

If not then this:

Pogba Rashford Lukaku
—-—Fred-Herrera———
—————Matic————-

Zlatattack

I first though we should go;

Lukaku Sanchez Rashford as a front three in 433, but actually, we could also do Sanchez as a 10 in a 442 diamond.

StrettyEnder07

DDG
Bailly Lindelof Smalling

Dalot Matic Herrera Shaw

Pogba

Rashford Greenwood

I would go 352 personally with them two being out, give Greenwood a chance (basically because Lukaku does not move and Sanchez is out by the looks of it), will still give us width and means we don't have to watch Mata attempt to play right wing again, which I just can't hack watching.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would like to see 4-3-1-2 with midfield of Fred, Matic and Herrera. Pogba playing further forward and Rashford and Lukaku as strikers. Width should be provided by fullbacks so I would like to see Dalot and Young pushing high and gap left by them being covered by Herrera and Fred.

Cantonagotmehere

I don't think there is any way Ole starts Sanchez after that performance. I think he gives Lukaku a shot on the right. I'd like something like this....Give Fred a run (ducks)

------------Matic----------
--Herrera-------------Fred
----------Pogba-----
---Lukaku
---------------Rashford

Cantonagotmehere

I would like to see 4-3-1-2 with midfield of Fred, Matic and Herrera. Pogba playing further forward and Rashford and Lukaku as strikers. Width should be provided by fullbacks so I would like to see Dalot and Young pushing high and gap left by them being covered by Herrera and Fred.
Just realized, I repeated exactly what you said. Great minds and all that,.....

Schmeichel=God

Looks like a hamstring for Jesse and a Groin for Martial.

Should we go for:

Sanchez- Lukaku- Rashford or Sanchez -Rashford-Mata?

Or even have Fred come in finally? He's more mobile than Mata

Couldn't have come at a worse time
Interesting shout on Fred. Such a game to shove him into but it might need to be done.

However I'd go for this setup now then. Ole won't; but I feel this is needed to compete in midfield and to cover in behind as we commit forward. We also need strikers occupying the box to give their defenders more to think about. Having two means we retain a decent midfield & defensive block, with the CM/AM being the third body allowed to enter the box in open play.

http://sharemytactics.com/123910/ - general setup
http://sharemytactics.com/123913/ - attacking positions

In my opinion we're not going to get anywhere playing the current tactic with only one in the centre. PSG won't allow us the transition of getting wide men central, nor will the passing lanes be open for it. We need two options to stretch their back line in the channels, and we need two banks of three for security. The CB's, there being three of them means they will have to have the cojones to bring the ball up the pitch, allowing the 3 CM's to move closer to the strikers, as well as allowing the WB's to not be so vital in transition, allowing them a higher starting position up the pitch.

We're gonna need balls, but imo this formation is the one to do it.

-----------------------------

If even remotely worthy of one, please help me out of Newb land with a like. Five utterances a day is killing me.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Interesting shout on Fred. Such a game to shove him into but it might need to be done.

However I'd go for this setup now then. Ole won't; but I feel this is needed to compete in midfield and to cover in behind as we commit forward. We also need strikers occupying the box to give their defenders more to think about. Having two means we retain a decent midfield & defensive block, with the CM/AM being the third body allowed to enter the box in open play.

http://sharemytactics.com/123910/ - general setup
http://sharemytactics.com/123913/ - attacking positions

In my opinion we're not going to get anywhere playing the current tactic with only one in the centre. PSG won't allow us the transition of getting wide men central, nor will the passing lanes be open for it. We need two options to stretch their back line in the channels, and we need two banks of three for security. The CB's, there being three of them means they will have to have the cojones to bring the ball up the pitch, allowing the 3 CM's to move closer to the strikers, as well as allowing the WB's to not be so vital in transition, allowing them a higher starting position up the pitch.

We're gonna need balls, but imo this formation is the one to do it.

-----------------------------

If even remotely worthy of one, please help me out of Newb land with a like. Five utterances a day is killing me.
Good post but I've long given up on the PSG game. It's more the domestic games that should be our priority

Schmeichel=God

Good post but I've long given up on the PSG game. It's more the domestic games that should be our priority
True. Retaining Ole's formation then, I go for this domestically.

http://sharemytactics.com/123915/

Yes we've lost the pace on the wings but we gain the extra second/yard by having natural left & right footed players on either side. It also makes the decision making process for those players easier. They can drive forward when possible without having to think about cutting back. They could arrive at or be played through at the back post with a shooting opportunity on their natural side.

I think this has a chance at working creatively and with Mata & Sanchez movement we will have shooting opportunities. Switch their sides and I think we go a bit stale.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Wow plenty of you still consider Sanchez as a valid member of the squad.
Quite incredible to see.
Give Greenwood a chance for crying out loud.
On a similar note.
Just look back at the huge number of posts both critical of Lingard as well as saying he no business being a Manchester United player.

Funny how suddenly he is injured, it is a big problem. To quote a phrase:
You don't know what you have got till its gone...

Stadjer

On a similar note.
Just look back at the huge number of posts both critical of Lingard as well as saying he no business being a Manchester United player.

I dont want Lingard to be a starting player for Manchester United but ofcourse i would like him to not be injured... since the other options are just as bad or even worse. That he has to play says more about the lack of quality we have for the RW role (eventhough Lingard doesnt play there). Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez and Lingard all really arent good enough to play there as a Manchester United starter but from all those players Lingard is the best/fits the system the best.

Schmeichel=God

Wow plenty of you still consider Sanchez as a valid member of the squad.
Quite incredible to see.
Give Greenwood a chance for crying out loud.
Oright Scott you would say that :D

Dalot might be the best RW we have right now. :lol:...... :(
Not against that idea of Lukaku Rashford Dalot. At least there's pace there. I think it would get us results.

I just think Mata & Sanchez on their natural sides, with their snout for goals (admittedly more so earlier in their careers) will surprise people. When we need a good touch and ability in tight spaces they've still got the talent.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I dont want Lingard to be a starting player for Manchester United but ofcourse i would like him to not be injured... since the other options are just as bad or even worse. That he has to play says more about the lack of quality we have for the RW role (eventhough Lingard doesnt play there). Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez and Lingard all really arent good enough to play there as a Manchester United starter but from all those players Lingard is the best/fits the system the best.
OK. But after Lingard went off there was a glaring difference in that the pace and movement that he gives us not just RW but most areas of the pitch was immediately missing.

Ravel96

Promote Greenwood, Chong and Gomes to first team. With Sanchez out, either Gomez or Chong needs to play on the left or even the right if Lukaku is not suitable for the right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am for tough approach with youngsters. Throw Chong on right flank and lets see what will happen.
If he is Man Utd quality, he will adapt.

Extortioon

I will want us to go all attack

Degea; Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Young; Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lukaku..

There is no time to play those young player in top games like this.... Remember Chelsea will try to win considering their last defeat in the league

And this is a knockout game fgs!

Joseunited

Oright Scott you would say that :D

Not against that idea of Lukaku Rashford Dalot. At least there's pace there. I think it would get us results.

I just think Mata & Sanchez on their natural sides, with their snout for goals (admittedly more so earlier in their careers) will surprise people. When we need a good touch and ability in tight spaces they've still got the talent.
Pity we're still waiting to see it.

Mr PG

I personally watched Chong play a few times. He is much better on the left than the right. He is originally a left winger the club just tried shifting him to the right because that is where the need is but this restricts his game. Very good at running with the ball on the left but seems unsure of himself doing it on the right. He is what I call a willing runner. A grafter like Alexis, Jesse, Di-Maria etc.

arthurka

There were news of Sánchez being injured as well
. Rash on top, Lukaku out on the right . Pereira in the hole or Fred. Left should be Ashley Young.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We stumbled upon Rashford from a similar injury crisis. No harm giving Greenwood a try, it'll be 2-3 games at most anyway.

There is nothing to be gained from playing Sanchez anymore. He should be put on gardening leave until some stupid MLS/Chinese club give us an offer.

Steerpike

Looks like a hamstring for Jesse and a Groin for Martial.

Should we go for:

Sanchez- Lukaku- Rashford or Sanchez -Rashford-Mata?

Or even have Fred come in finally? He's more mobile than Mata

Couldn't have come at a worse time
I feel Mata just slows things down too much, and Sanchez looks completely out of form, so I'd probably go for Lukaku up front with Rashford moving to the left. On the right, I'd play both Young and Dalot (probably Young to play further forward, but I think Dalot could do a job there as well). The dynamic of the team will be different as we'd look to play a bit more to Lukaku's strengths - more crosses and balls into the channels.

It would be good to see Chong and Greenwood getting a chance on the bench too.

Momochiru

Sanchez - Rashford - Lukaku

or

Rashford - Lukaku
- Pogba -
with Fred added to the midfield

Hopefully this would mean some minutes for Greenwood, Chong and Gomes - most likely against Palace and Southampton.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

On a similar note.

Lingard is an actual football player, he’s nowhere near great but he has his strengths and he brings some value to the team more often than not.
Sanchez is the worst player I’ve ever seen in a United shirt with over 20 caps, he has eclipsed Falcao levels of uselessness.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
On a similar note.

Well personally i wanted to create one of our famous threads " blessing in disguise" about Lingard's injury but didn't want to people think that i have agenda against Lingard:D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Play Mata in the middle and Pogboom on the left.
Not a bad shout actually. pogba would give azpicueta problems and mata plays well at the bridge usually

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Thats a bit naive though and potentially damaging. If you're physically not ready, you're not ready.
Really wish people would stop saying this particularly when it comes to Mason. People Greenwood's age fought in fecking wars, this is just a game. I hate all this potentially damaging BS people come out with. Really would love if they just let the kid play, he's a bloody ridiculously talented footballer.

Web of Bissaka

Assuming both Jesse and Tony are out.

If we're not using diamond formation with Pogba at #10, then I like to see this instead, especially for the big games.

Stop playing Sanchez at the wing, and give him one last chance at the centre as false #9 or false #10 with free role.
Rashford drift to left wing, and Lukaku drift to right wing.

-Rashford -- Lukaku-
-------Sanchez--------
Promote the kids (Gomes/Chong/Greenwood) to the bench.

If Sanchez is terrible again, screw it and get out of the squad.
Mata then to replace Sanchez and sub in the kids for Mata and Lukaku if he's terrible again.
Let the kids have their quick chances to replace Mata and Lukaku if they can.

---Chong -- Greenwood-
--------Gomes------------​