Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
PSG put out 150 000 shirts for sale and they all got sold within 7 mins. Globally Messi is going to be huge for them. MJ right now looking for the fattest cigar.

MadMike

and before that played 176 games with Newell's Old Boys, who could not pay for his treatment so he left for Barcelona
And? He was still at Barcelona during his boyhood. Barcelona was literally his boyhood club too.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
We're talking Griezmann here, an elite player, a very marketable player and a World Cup winner who cost Barcelona €120 million. His agency does not accept a contract that is 6-7x less than the highest earner. They use such an elite level player and a key benchmark is the highest earner, that was/is Messi at €2.5m per week ergo it is why Griezmann ended up at €800-900K per week himself.

These wages aren't random, players' agencies negotiate the best deals for whom they represent. The wage structure was shattered at Barcelona - by Messi's contract - and the key benchmark for high earners - the highest earner, Messi's contract - was obscene.

It's unfortunate that you're unaware of the basics of finance and contract negotiations. It's also unfortunate for you that someone from Barca has literally said the same thing today -

"A big problem for Barca, and huge consideration for all the players and agents involved, is that Messi’s sky-high salary set the top of the scale at the club. Bartomeu was widely seen as a soft touch by the club’s Catalan core of homegrown players who all got bumper pay rises during his term, and by agents of newer arrivals such as Ousmane Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho. “The other players’ salaries are high because Messi’s salary was high,” says a source."

https://theathletic.com/2758624/202...arcelona-more-cuts-more-drama-more-anger/?amp

I'm not sure whether some folk hold Messi up as some untouchable icon that can do no wrong but his obscene contract had a very, very significant part - amongst other factors, of course - in what has happened to Barcelona today and as to why he has been shown the door.
Your comment starts with ‘we are talking about Griezmann here’. Its unfortunate that you misunderstood my comment because I didn’t mention Griezmann at all.

My post was in the UFC format of how individual athletes can negotiate their salaries when they objectively can prove they have more marketing, social media attraction contributing to higher PPV’s.

it would be unreasonable to deny that football agencies look at the benchmark of the wages and then assess their value to try to negotiate the best deal for their players.

With you mentioning Griezmann’s wages, I’d like to add my two cents on it. Griezmann was bought at a time when he was at an “all time popularity’ with the WC and a great Atletico career on his CV. Its fair to say that his Barcelona career hasn’t been what people expected it to be. This has a financial consequence that even if Griezmann is willing to depart Barcelona will want to receive as much value back as possible and on top of that another club would have to be able pay those high wages.

I also think it would be unreasonable to deny that Messi did indeed set a benchmark, a new precedent with his 2017 contract making him the best paid athlete ever. From that perspective there is not much to ‘argue about here’.

The other side as that poster described is the disproportional contract of wages in comparison to achievement. Umtiti is almost on similair weekly wages as Pique.Another example is Pjanic, who is described as an underpaid underperformer. Griezmann can also be put in that bracket of having underperformed while being on a massive salary. So yes, there is a combination of the astronomical 2017 Messi contract and the high salaries of players not performing and being a burden on the wage bill.

therefore I don’t actually think we disagree, all factors should be discussed to form an objective conclusion.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I understood your point, I'm just disagreeing.

It isn't a football problem, you shouldn't be depressed. It's a very specific Lionel Messi problem. He wants a million a week at 34.

Cool if you want to put out a statement without any further explanation but that's why asked, what do you want to happen for a bunch of other clubs to justify that much per week for a 34 years old?

Only one answer to that,(unless you want to provide your own answer?) more state ownership.

Nobody but PSG and a handful of greedy players wants Qatar involved in football but that only one club on the planet is corrupt enough to offer Messi that money ahould be seen as a positive.
I disagree. I hate that the biggest clubs cannot compete.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Messi did not move to PSG from Newell's Old Boys did he?
He’s been at Barca since he was 13yo. You know, boyhood.
and before that played 176 games with Newell's Old Boys, who could not pay for his treatment so he left for Barcelona
And? He was still at Barcelona during his boyhood. Barcelona was literally his boyhood club too.

:lol:

Is there some arbitary number of football matches you have had to play before you're not considered a boy?

mshnsh

Western countries don’t need to use football clubs as PR machines, they already have fantastic PR in almost every other aspect of human life. That’s why they can bomb other countries to smithereens and take all their resources without anyone seeming to notice or care. That’s why they can talk about this or that country shouldn’t have nuclear weapons when only one country has ever used them in war, and it ain’t Iran (newsflash). But all this is for another thread perhaps………
True. Add the looting during colonisation or what has been going on in the middle East (Israeli atrocities in Palestine supported by the west) after WW2 etc
Well, why not? It would be fun to see him try to deal his way tight defenses that are a strong part of an entire country's footballing identity.
It's a lie to say that serie A has tight defences. That hasn't been true since probably the 90s. For comparison, the goal per game last season was 3.06 in serie, 2.51 per game in la liga, and 2.69 per game in the Premier league.
Club football:
So what you are saying is that Ronaldo has a large enough body of work to discuss, analyze and criticize his performance across different leagues while Messi has nothing. Ok got it.
So while the rest of us live in the real world and discuss what actually happened while Ronaldo played at Juventus, you can live in your imaginary world and fantasize about how Messi scored a hat-trick against Chelsea in the 2014 Carabao Cup.

International football:
You could have just replaced what you wrote with "Messi has won ZERO world cups despite playing in a better side than Ronaldo for most of his career. Messi has won only ONE Copa despite playing 4 Copas in the last 6 years." Would have saved you time.
Messi will score 20 goals against Brazil in a friendly while playing against Stupidinho, Ricardo Crapinho and No Talentino but in a competitive game against Neymar, Thiago Silva and Casemiro, he will disappear for the most part.

Your God is now a tool for a regime that is directly involved with bonded labor and has poor human rights in general. He is literally a mannequin for a country accused of bribing their way to host the World Cup. Keep seething!
It must really pain you that Messi is actually a better footballer than Cristiano according to majority of football experts despite all the goals he scores. Wonder why? Because his game is far more than just scoring goals.

It must also pain you that Madrid have suffered at his feet quite a lot when he was in Spain; Madrid must be a small side than or the games were friendlies?

PS Messi played with injury vs Brazil in the final.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hakimi in a back for is fine if you set your team properly (with a more defensive LB).

This is what Bernat is though. Still, he was pretty average in ligue 1 but ofter quite good in the CL. Most PSG fans think that getting him from you for 12M was a steal. Personnally, i'm not a huge fan though, i always thought he was overperforming in the CL but it happened several times (2 goals 2 assists in the CL in 2020, 3 goals the year before).
And at Bayern everyone was happy that PSG paid €12m for Bernat.
Btw, I think Tolisso would really improve your midfield…

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
And at Bayern everyone was happy that PSG paid €12m for Bernat.
Btw, I think Tolisso would really improve your midfield…
Well I guess it's a win win situation then.

Tolisso is a good player if fit, i'd take him any day of the week if we can get rid of Gueye or Herrera depending on his shape.

Hulksmash

Messi PSG contract. One - worth 115 million euros - would come if he renews his contract, and the second would be a loyalty bonus of 78 million euros. Messi net Salary would be 2,6 Million per Week if he renews for 1 more year. [ Marca ]

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Messi PSG contract. One - worth 115 million euros - would come if he renews his contract, and the second would be a loyalty bonus of 78 million euros. Messi net Salary would be 2,6 Million per Week if he renews for 1 more year. [ Marca ]
What is that? It doesn't make any sense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is that? It doesn't make any sense.
It's a strangely worded translation by Marca about the contract that he had from Barcelona. It's in an article where they claim that he won't receive a signing bonus but will earn 40m. The clause that they mentions are the ones revealed by El Mundo in an article that was published earlier this year.

He'll walk the league, for him it will be like playing against his kids. The question he's got to answer is whether at 34 having won everything in club football, can he motivate himself and get himself up to speed for the handful of important European games he will play in, for a bit of a nothing club he has no attachment to?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's a strangely worded translation by Marca about the contract that he had from Barcelona. It's in an article where they claim that he won't receive a signing bonus but will earn 40m. The clause that they mentions are the ones revealed by El Mundo in an article that was published earlier this year.
That's what I thought but then I saw "PSG contract" so I tried to figure out why we'd all that money to a 37 years old Messi if he extends. Thanks for confirming.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Marca is full of nonsense... For starter, I don't think we've sold that many jerseys, it seems pretty exaggerated. On top of that, Le figaro made an article a couple of years back with a breackdown of what the club gets per jersey sold, and it was around 30 euros a piece. That would mean 25M in extra revenues.

Rojow

832.000 jerseys? I don't know if that number is right, but i read that next jerseys will be on sale in September suposedly.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
832.000 jerseys? I don't know if that number is right, but i read that next jerseys will be on sale in September suposedly.
It's not, it can't be. Even if Messi is a legend, there's no way we sold that many jerseys in 24h. We'll sell a lot but this number is absurd, but it's Marca..

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
PSG IG followers have grown from 19 million to over 45 million in the last week. It has more followers than Man Utd already. Does Messi pay for himself in PSG? I dunno but it is a smart business for PSG for sure.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Marca is full of nonsense... For starter, I don't think we've sold that many jerseys, it seems pretty exaggerated. On top of that, Le figaro made an article a couple of years back with a breackdown of what the club gets per jersey sold, and it was around 30 euros a piece. That would mean 25M in extra revenues.
10.5mill profit :lol: I don't think profit means what they think it means.

Didn't he get a feckin massive sign on bonus too?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
PSG IG followers have grown from 19 million to over 45 million in the last week. It has more followers than Man Utd already. Does Messi pay for himself in PSG? I dunno but it is a smart business for PSG for sure.
It'll probably balance itself out by the end of his time there tbh, are people following Messi to PSG though and buying his shirt? Or is it just all the PSG fans getting excited and getting it?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It'll probably balance itself out by the end of his time there tbh, are people following Messi to PSG though and buying his shirt? Or is it just all the PSG fans getting excited and getting it?
I never follow PSG game before other than the CL games. Truth to be told I would like to watch more PSG game to see Neymar, Messi, Di Maria and Verratti play together now. It is the galacticos effect.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It was a fake screenshot trending on Twitter, PSG already had around 38M followers before the Messi rumours. They did gain a few millions but not 26M :lol:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
10.5mill profit :lol: I don't think profit means what they think it means.

Didn't he get a feckin massive sign on bonus too?
Actually, Le Parisien just released an article saying that Messi didn't get any sign on bonus but that it was probably compensated by performance bonus' or something like that.

EDIT : It was just confirmed by RMC (more reliable than Le Parisien

https://www.leparisien.fr/sports/fo...ssi-12-08-2021-TIO64I6OQJEF5JMFAV44QCQUNE.php
https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football...esentation_LN-202108110031.html#article_46097

With a player like Messi and the fact that nowadays, a lot of viewers are fan of a player more than fan of a club, you'll have a lot of non PSG fans buying the jersey just because it's Messi.

It was a fake screenshot trending on Twitter, PSG already had around 38M followers before the Messi rumours. They did gain a few millions but not 26M :lol:
You are correct, before the Messi rumor it was around 37M, i saw that myself. Since it's 45.2M atm, it means an increase of 8M in a couple of days, still pretty impressive.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Amazing. Look at that ball movement in training. Pochettino is creating a monster team. This is what Cryuff imagine football to be.
This is far too much on the nose mate. :lol: you need to be more subtle.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Most of that goes to Nike though
1) It's not possible we sold that many
2) Most of it yes but according to various sources, the club still gets 25-45€ per jersey sold because Nike doesn't take any money on the name print (and that alone is 15€).

Last edited:

Member 101269

No Signing on fee? see of evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Did Messi settle a tax issue with the Spanish authorities?

90 + 5min

Amazing. Look at that ball movement in training. Pochettino is creating a monster team. This is what Cryuff imagine football to be.
Agree. Look how good Pochettino have made Messi, Neymar and Mbappe and many others in that team. WIthout him they wouldn't have been near elite football. Credit to Pochettino for developing those players.

Now we will finally see if Pochettino can take this underdog and win league. It was close last year but they had budget squad so it is all good.

ROFLUTION

Source: The same that photoshopped an empty stadium so it looked like packed with Real fans.

Highly doubt it's true. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth rather than one that just wants to slag off anything Barca-related.

PSG's highest shirts ever sold IN TOTAL in one year is 226.000. Neymar sold 10.000 when he came, so it's probably classic Marca-bullshit.

Member 101269

I dont follow united on IG, is your point that united social media isn't great..

Alain-

The Argentinian soccer legend's signing-on fee for the French club included an undisclosed number of fan tokens provided by blockchain-based fan-token provider Socios.com

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Source: The same that photoshopped an empty stadium so it looked like packed with Real fans.

Highly doubt it's true. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth rather than one that just wants to slag off anything Barca-related.

PSG's highest shirts ever sold IN TOTAL in one year is 226.000. Neymar sold 10.000 when he came, so it's probably classic Marca-bullshit.
I agree with the 1st part of your post but the rest isn't accurate though, we sold over 1M in 2018-2019. 226.000 was the number before QSI bought the club in 2011. In 2017-2018, 30% of the shirts sold were Neymar's so around 280 000.