Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

cyberman

The FIFA rankings top 10 during the last 7 years has been consistently made up of at least 4-5 South American teams (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia), so this comment is wildly off the mark. Ronaldo's Portugal were knocked out by Uruguay in WC 2018, USA in WC 2014 and Chile in the the Confederations cup in 2017.

Other than Bayern Munich, how many times has a German team won the European cup/Champions League?

The year before Lewa joined Bayern, Bayern finished 19 points ahead of Dortmund, so not sure how Lewa joining Bayern suddenly made a difference in them winning the Bundesliga.
Lewa left winning just two 2 league titles in 3 years then and nothing but Bayern since.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Might as well check before you write this stuff surely?.

He's on 7 in 13 PL & 5 in 6 CL.
Last thing I’ll say on this here cos it’s the wrong thread but perhaps you’re the one that should be doing the checking:

A) The guy was talking about the Premier League (as the supposed ‘hardest in the world’) and not the Champions League. So the CL stats are not relevant.

B) The guy said he was scoring ‘nearly every week’ in the PL. He’s scored 7 goals but in 5 games. Look at what I wrote. This means that there are 8 league games that he didn’t score in. In fact he had a period where he scored 1 goal in 8 league games. You know, the period where United were getting humiliated ‘nearly every week’. Everyone seems to have forgotten this.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
13 goals in 16 starts, or 7 in 11 in the league.
So you’re not allowed to score as a substitute? Interesting. I didn’t know that. Pretty clear though that he’s not scoring ‘nearly every week’ in the PL. Though with the easy fixtures that United have got coming up, he’ll never have a better have a better chance to make your exaggeration a reality.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yes and this is coming from an Arsenal fan. This whole notion of hardest league in the world is just hype. Its hard against the top 3 i.e Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea where Ronaldo has failed to score but below that, there is a huge gap in quality.

United lost the EL to 7th placed Villarreal last season, Leicester have been relegated to the conference league by Russian farmers. Tottenham are about to be kicked out of the conference league by a team from a supposed farmers league. Arsenal haven't seen CL football in 5 years.
100%

The gap in quality between City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and the rest of english teams is huge.

Tottenham in the Conference League have lost to an slovenian team and a dutch team, and couldn't beat Stade Rennais from France.

People are seriously overestimating the quality of PL teams outside the top 4, those teams clearly aren't better than their counterparts from France,Netherlands, Germany,Spain, Portugal,Russia,etc

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
100%

The gap in quality between City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and the rest of english teams is huge.

Tottenham in the Conference League have lost to an slovenian team and a dutch team, and couldn't beat Stade Rennais from France.

People are seriously overestimating the quality of PL teams outside the top 4, those teams clearly aren't better than their counterparts from France,Netherlands, Germany,Spain, Portugal,Russia,etc
Yes, this has always been true. The difference now is that the top clubs in the PL have the top managers in Europe.

So you’re not allowed to score as a substitute? Interesting. I didn’t know that. Pretty clear though that he’s not scoring ‘nearly every week’ in the PL. Though with the easy fixtures that United have got coming up, he’ll never have a better have a better chance to make your exaggeration a reality.
In the 14 weeks he's been here he's scored in 10 of them, sometimes more than once. I'd say that's nearly every week wouldn't you?

Some players just don't need a supporting cast.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Nearly every week? Or in 5 out of 13 games? What’s the truth I wonder…….
16 games and 14 G&A
2x CL MotM
3x PL MotM
2x Club PotMonth
1x PL PotMonth

But carry on chatting out your arse. Clueless doesn’t even begin to cover it.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
In the 14 weeks he's been here he's scored in 10 of them, sometimes more than once. I'd say that's nearly every week wouldn't you?

Some players just don't need a supporting cast.
That’s not what you said. You said ‘he’s scoring nearly every week in the toughest league in the world’. That’s the premier league supposedly. In the premier league, he just had a period where he scored one goal in 8 games. During that period, United were hammered by Watford, Leicester, Man City and Liverpool. I guess he does need a supporting cast after all…….

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
16 games and 14 G&A
2x CL MotM
3x PL MotM
2x Club PotMonth
1x PL PotMonth

But carry on chatting out your arse. Clueless doesn’t even begin to cover it.

So..

Cristiano Ronaldo is at 14 G+A in 16 --> GOAT
Messi is at 10 G+A in 14 --> finished and never was that good

You guys are amazing :lol:

Oh and just a friendly reminder: There's more to football than goals and assists.

Moreover, I wonder why you guys are allowed to bring this discussion to this thread. Probably just goes to show how biased this forum is towards a certain player, especially since he rejoined the club.

Bole Top

there's a separate thread for Messi vs Ronaldo debates (which reminds me, is that even a debate anymore?). it looks like underage CR fans can't even read the thread titles properly because of the tears in their eyes.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
So..

Oh and just a friendly reminder: There's more to football than goals and assists.

Moreover, I wonder why you guys are allowed to bring this discussion to this thread. Probably just goes to show how biased this forum is towards a certain player, especially since he rejoined the club.
Still salty about your Xavi post I see. It's ok though, I'm sure he'll come good on FM2022.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Still salty about your Xavi post I see. It's ok though, I'm sure he'll come good on FM2022.
Mate. Everything I wrote in the Xavi thread is still on point. What triggers me are double standards, alternative facts and stupidity so you dont even need to rip quotes out of context to make me salty. If that's your goal, just be your usual clueless self :) I mean, in the end you're one of the very few posters in this forum whose " :lol: "-posts are among their most insightful to date. I prefer them to you actually sharing what's running through your head with us.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I was looking forward to Messi having lots of cool highlights at PSG so far, but its been quite limited so far. Mpabbe is definitely the star player on that team now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I was looking forward to Messi having lots of cool highlights at PSG so far, but its been quite limited so far. Mpabbe is definitely the star player on that team now.
Yes, he's been disappointing overall so far. Not because of his scorers but because his overall play isn't as good as we're used to. Usually he was great to watch even during goal droughts. Let's see how things enroll from here on.

Terry Chango

So..

Is that really any surprise...United forum slightly biased towards a former United legend (some might not agree) who then rejoins and happens to be the GOAT...No way :devil:

KeanoMagicHat

Mbappé is the PSG star in Ligue 1 and has been pretty much since he arrived. Neymar floats in for not even half the games, getting ready for the CL final stages every year. If PSG were relying on him in the league, they'd be in trouble. He's only played 80 league games out of a possible 170 since he's joined, can't build a team around that.

Mbappé meanwhile has played 114 league games for PSG, scoring 100 goals, so he is the consistent player, their day in, day out player. PSG will be in a bit of trouble if Mbappé leaves and they had to rely on Neymar and now Messi, who doesn't seem to overly care.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is that really any surprise...United forum slightly biased towards a former United legend (some might not agree) who then rejoins and happens to be the GOAT...No way :devil:
No, not surprised but personally, I think you should always fight biases. They are not a nice thing to have.

Idxomer

He hasn't been great, you can see that just by looking at his dribbling which has been below par for his standards.

Shark

@NotShark

True, like proving yourself away from a specific league/system which only one of them has done many times.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
True, like proving yourself away from a specific league/system which only one of them has done many times.
Sure. I would look at that too if I didn't recognize by watching the player perform on tge actual pitch :)

Gehrman

Yeah prime Messi really should have downgraded from Barcelona.

cyberman

So..

That’s because Messi has padded his stats in a few games while Ronaldo has spread out his goals. He’s having an impact in almost every game we play, I think he has scored nothing but winning goals or goals that draws us level so far and has scored in all but 1 of our wins.
Come on, Messi is better than hiding behind these padded stats. Shows how far he has fallen. Maybe he can score 3 in the next dead rubber and really stamp his authority

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Exactly.

Coutinho at PL vs La Liga
Forlan at La Liga vs PL
Shevchenko at Serie A vs PL
Hazard at PL vs La Liga
Paul Ince and Gascoigne in PL Vs Serie A
Veron at Serie A vs PL
Jerome Boateng in Bundesliga vs PL
Soldado in La Liga vs PL

It's just such a valuable way of rating a player in my mind at least. You get to see players outside of their potential comfort zone for a whole 365 days in a row - rather than just seeing how they perform for one day somewhere else in the CL.

Gehrman

Exactly.

Forlan at La Liga vs PL
Hazard at PL vs La Liga
Veron at Serie A vs PL
Soldado in La Liga vs PL

It's just such a valuable way of rating a player in my mind at least.
Barca wouldnt even sell Messi when he was past his prime. Do you think they would sell him in his prime and do you think he'd want to join inferior teams in the PL?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Mbappé is the PSG star in Ligue 1 and has been pretty much since he arrived. Neymar floats in for not even half the games, getting ready for the CL final stages every year. If PSG were relying on him in the league, they'd be in trouble. He's only played 80 league games out of a possible 170 since he's joined, can't build a team around that.

Mbappé meanwhile has played 114 league games for PSG, scoring 100 goals, so he is the consistent player, their day in, day out player. PSG will be in a bit of trouble if Mbappé leaves and they had to rely on Neymar and now Messi, who doesn't seem to overly care.
False, Neymar (when fit) has been brilliant for PSG in past seasons.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Exactly.

Forlan at La Liga vs PL
Hazard at PL vs La Liga
Veron at Serie A vs PL
Soldado in La Liga vs PL

It's just such a valuable way of rating a player in my mind at least. You get to see players outside of their potential comfort zone for a whole 365 days in a row - rather than just seeing how they perform for one day somewhere else in the CL.
So Ibra is a GOAT candidate then. Noted.

KeanoMagicHat

False, Neymar (when fit) has been brilliant for PSG in past seasons.
But he's not fit, no team can rely on a player who misses more than half the games for 4-5 seasons. Salah has played 161 league games for Liverpool in the same time Neymar has played 80.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That’s because Messi has padded his stats in a few games while Ronaldo has spread out his goals. He’s having an impact in almost every game we play, I think he has scored nothing but winning goals or goals that draws us level so far and has scored in all but 1 of our wins.
Come on, Messi is better than hiding behind these padded stats. Shows how far he has fallen. Maybe he can score 3 in the next dead rubber and really stamp his authority
Suddenly people care about stat padding. Both players padded their stats for all of their career.

And I literally just wrote that Messi has had a bad season so far. Not because of some stupid stat sheet but because he is not playing well. Thing is that even in this form Messi is dtill contributing far more outside of scorers than Cristiano, like it or not. But in their current form, none of them belong in the top 5 of the world.

Gehrman

No one has ever answered my question about who Messi should have joined in his prime that wouldn't be a step down from Barcelona on almost all metrics? And also the fact that Barcelona wouldn't sell him at any cost. Which would mean he would have to run down his contract in his prime which probably wouldn't happen.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
But he's not fit, no team can rely on a player who misses more than half the games for 4-5 seasons. Salah has played 161 league games for Liverpool in the same time Neymar has played 80.
I read what you wrote more carefully. I understand the point you are making re fitness.

cyberman

Suddenly people care about stat padding. Both players padded their stats for all of their career.

And I literally just wrote that Messi has had a bad season so far. Not because of some stupid stat sheet but because he is not playing well. Thing is that even in this form Messi is dtill contributing far more outside of scorers than Cristiano, like it or not. But in their current form, none of them belong in the top 5 of the world.
No, I care about people pointing out how well Ronaldo has settled v Messi for about 100 pages now only for stats to be thrown out as if we aren’t watching the games themselves. It’s undeniable who has had the better season so far so it’s disingenuous at best to argue otherwise at this stage.
Maybe Messi will pick up, maybe he won’t but having almost half of his attacking stats against RBL and Bruges suddenly brought up doesn’t anything worthwhile to the conversation.
He has 6 goal contributions in France. Not good, not great. 5 of those came in 2 games. It’s a superficial comparison that doesn’t hold up to any scrutiny.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
No one has ever answered my question about who Messi should have joined in his prime that wouldn't be a step down from Barcelona on almost all metrics? And also the fact that Barcelona wouldn't sell him at any cost. Which would mean he would have to run down his contract in his prime which probably wouldn't happen.
Because their is no answer for it.
Ronaldo left Sporting because, Manchester United were a bigger club, he than left United, because Real Madrid is the greatest club ever, than joined Juve, because he was no longer entertained by Real, than left Juve because again no longer entertained.

Messi could not leave for Real(the only club which has more pedigree than them), because well. He had to leave Barcelona because they could no longer keep him or secretly thought they would be financially better off without him. And joined PSG because only they could afford him, as other clubs could not meet his huge wage demands.

This need to proof in different league things is just situational, and not something every player in top level thinks of. A player playing for big club, only leave it when they need more money or they are no longer required or if they get a chance to play for a bigger club.

KeanoMagicHat

The answer to your question is that he shouldn't have left for anywhere, he made the right decision to stay. I've never heard loyalty used against someone in sport before now about leaving a winning team, Michael Jordan wasn't told to leave the Chicago Bulls at his prime to challenge himself at another NBA team so he could be GOAT.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
No because he was never doing things on a CL basis :lol:
Haha, pulled apart your weak hypothesis there. This is nothing to do with ‘seeing how they perform for one day somewhere else in the CL’ (though Zlatan is 10th all time in CL goals so I don’t know how you can say he’s not doing it in the CL).

The point is that Zlatan has performed well in about 7 different leagues and has over 30 trophies. That doesn’t make him better than someone who performed well in one or two leagues but is actually a superior player…..