Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Talking about Messi in his prime I dont know how many times he was hacked to pieces by ramos and pepe and still had a masterclass.
Yes, but Messi isn't in his prime now and he's been struggling so far to adapt. He's still very much class, but his passes aren't coming off very consistently right now and he's losing the ball quite a bit. It's just a matter of time and adjustment. He started La Liga very slowly last season as well.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes, but Messi isn't in his prime now and he's been struggling so far to adapt. He's still very much class, but his passes aren't coming off very consistently right now and he's losing the ball quite a bit. It's just a matter of time and adjustment. He started La Liga very slowly last season as well.
I don't know, it's hard to call when a player is past it. He looked past it first half of the last season as well. Since he still hasn't had geninuenly bad season yet it's hard to call. The comparison will always be Ronaldo, but he's not built like Ronlado and plays a different role than Ronaldo. I remember Messi saying that as he gets older he will be more of a playmaker than a goalscorer so he expects his numbers to go down, but he still needs to get on the scoreboard in the league. He's Messi afterall. But he might be just about finished as lots of players are in that age. Xavi retired from Barca when he was 32 and Iniesta when he was around 33.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Saw a post on twitter from ESPN yesterday that reminded me that Messi scored 91 goals in a calendar year. That figure really is insane.
Yeah and 73 in a single season. If a player was scoring that many for me on FM I'd feel like it was cheating. Its just unbelievable levels of talent.

Gehrman

Yeah and 73 in a single season. If a player was scoring that many for me on FM I'd feel like it was cheating. Its just unbelievable levels of talent.
And he wasn't even an out and out Striker but a false nr 9.

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That Tadic record is false. It includes friendly's, he's on 2 assists less this year according to Opta. He's unlucky as an own goal was scored from his cross on Sunday.

He has one more game to try and match/break the record.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You know people are saying that Messi wasn't on form for half of last season too - is this still the season Messi won a Balon D'or for?

Gehrman

You know people are saying that Messi wasn't on form for half of last season too - is this still the season Messi won a Balon D'or for?
It's not the same season, it's the same year though. He had good second half of the 2019-2020 season as well, but still started the 2020-2021 slowly/badly.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah maybe PSG can negotiate with CONMEBOL for another Copa America to be played in 2022.

Gehrman

I'd still say 2010/2011 was more iconic. Mainly for his wondergoal vs Real Madrid in the semi's and his performance in the CL final. In 2012 he scored left right and center but I felt he had less iconic moments.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It's mental. He scored 50 goals in the league campaign alone followed by 46 the season after.

That time period between say 2011-2015 for both Messi & Ronaldo was ridiculous. They truly 'owned' La Liga for in that period.

La Liga - most goals scored in a season 50 (Messi 2012), 48 (Ronaldo 2015), 46 (Messi 2013 & Ronaldo 2012), 43 (Messi 2015), 40 (Ronaldo 2011). These are cheat mode stats if they're playing in your team.

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
I don't know, it's hard to call when a player is past it. He looked past it first half of the last season as well. Since he still hasn't had geninuenly bad season yet it's hard to call. The comparison will always be Ronaldo, but he's not built like Ronlado and plays a different role than Ronaldo. I remember Messi saying that as he gets older he will be more of a playmaker than a goalscorer so he expects his numbers to go down, but he still needs to get on the scoreboard in the league. He's Messi afterall. But he might be just about finished as lots of players are in that age. Xavi retired from Barca when he was 32 and Iniesta when he was around 33.
Xavi started nearly all the games in a record breaking season for barca when he was 32 mate. And Iniesta was still one of the best CMs in the world in 2016. Get your facts straight.

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
Wow salty. Messi hit form right around December last season and carried it through to the Copa america. Everything before January is part of 2020 and he was never a favorite for that one.

Gehrman

Xavi started nearly all the games in a record breaking season for barca when he was 32 mate. And Iniesta was still one of the best CMs in the world in 2016. Get your facts straight.
He still retired from Barca at 32 didn't he or am I wrong? And iniesta was 34 when he left barca. My bad

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yeah maybe PSG can negotiate with CONMEBOL for another Copa America to be played in 2022.
2022 is for World Cup, such a shame Cristiano might not attend thia big event... should have played better against Serbia.

Gehrman

Despite his starting position it's pretty clear that he's not playing as an out and out striker, so what's his role?

tomaldinho1

2022 is for World Cup, such a shame Cristiano might not attend thia big event... should have played better against Serbia.
Didn’t he score against Serbia in the first game and the ref’s watch wasn’t working? (Hence why Portugal are so pissed)

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Didn’t he score against Serbia in the first game and the ref’s watch wasn’t working? (Hence why Portugal are so pissed)
They still should have beated Serbia at Lisbon.

Idk but i don't remember Portugal dominating good sides, I've only seen them dominating the likes of Ireland and Luxembourg(who are very bad), whenever they face a decent/good team they struggle so much to control the game.
I even remember them at WC struggling against Morocco and Iran, they were one header away from getting knocked out by Iran at the last minute.
They certainly look very disjointed, and not even close to take advantage of the quality they have on the pitch.

cyberman

Idk but i don't remember Portugal dominating good sides, I've only seen them dominating the likes of Ireland and Luxembourg(who are very bad), whenever they face a decent/good team they struggle so much to control the game.
I even remember them at WC struggling against Morocco and Iran, they were one header away from getting knocked out by Iran at the last minute.
They certainly look very disjointed, and not even close to take advantage of the quality they have on the pitch.
Why is this a slight on Ronaldo who is literally dragging a disjointed Portugal through these games over the last 5 years?

tomaldinho1

Bit of a sidetrack. They’re an ok team - I think people just forget their big names are great in very offensive systems (City players & Jota) and kind of assume they should be amazing under a very defensive manager.

I checked and they should be through but for the first game versus Serbia where they didn’t have goal line technology in place and Ronaldo scored a winner (which wasn’t given). Kind of inexcusable in this day and age of football which is why they’re so angry.

Gehrman

They were actually good against france in the euros. Latest one.

Gehrman

I think he's starting to come into form.
His last performance was good but its also clear this psg has no chemistry. He completed 12 dribbles, created a tap in for di maria which he missed. No one actually created any chances for Messi, but was unlucky to hit the post. Hardly prime Messi but closer to his better 34 year old form.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Why is this a slight on Ronaldo who is literally dragging a disjointed Portugal through these games over the last 5 years?
Have you seen the players Portugal have got now? This argument stopped being valid a long time ago, if it ever was.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Cough* Cough* World Cup Happens every 4 years, not every year Cough* Cough* :nervous:

cafecillos

Can you please, once and for all, leave all that childish Messi-Ronaldo nonsense in its fecking thread? It's so embarrassing that you can't help yourselves.

Ahmer Baig

Messi tests positive for COVID. Wishing him speedy recovery.

Lionel Messi has tested positive for Covid-19, Paris Saint-Germain has announced, just days after the superstar was seen singing and dancing at a concert in Argentina.

Gehrman

Messi tests positive for COVID. Wishing him speedy recovery.
Christ Messi at PSG is so boring. I want to see him play more games and hopefully get into the best form he can at his age. At this point he rarely gets a consistent run of games.

Bogdannn

Now goats are getting it!
Messi ain't no GOAT. Pele and Maradona are still way above him.
Messi's true value can be seen at PSG. Without the whole team playing for him and a system that suits his style, he's just a good player, nothing more.