Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He really wasn’t that great at all.

If Ronaldo didn’t score against Brighton, missed a penalty and only created those 2 chances to Bruno and Sancho. Would it be considered a good game from him?

He was also dispossessed 23 times - by far the most on the pitch by any player.
BS take, Messi’s average game without a goal this season is FAR better than Ronaldo’s without a goal. Messi should’ve had 2 assists in that match against Madrid. Missed penalty was bad, but I’d take that last Messi match when over some of the ones Ronaldo has scored in.

Not to say Messi was amazing against Madrid, but yes, he was good

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Not sure where you got this from but it’s far from the truth.
This has all been discussed in the "Cristiano Ronaldo" thread in detail where many agree that he is one of the best served strikers in Player Performances Forum. If you haven't done before, I suggest you take a look to see what other United fans think about his performances.

The main criticism (including some of his fans like) was that he now began to miss even sitters making him kind of useless as he offers nothing else until that Brighton game.

cyberman

BS take, Messi’s average game without a goal this season is FAR better than Ronaldo’s without a goal. Messi should’ve had 2 assists in that match against Madrid. Missed penalty was bad, but I’d take that last Messi match when over some of the ones Ronaldo has scored in.

To be fair you have a lot more Messi games to choose from if that’s the criteria

MrEleson

This has all been discussed in the "Cristiano Ronaldo" thread in detail where many agree that he is one of the best served strikers in Player Performances Forum. If you haven't done before, I suggest you take a look to see what other United fans think about his performances.

The main criticism (including some of his fans like) was that he now began to miss even sitters making him kind of useless as he offers nothing else until that Brighton game.
I’m not paying attention to what other people are saying.

I’m going by what I see with my very own 2 eyes. Ronaldo does not get served a 1v1 every game and he isn’t the best served striker in the premier league.

MrEleson

I’m talking of Ronaldo’s game against Brighton specifically. Never mentioned anything about other games.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I’m not paying attention to what other people are saying.

I’m going by what I see with my very own 2 eyes. Ronaldo does not get served a 1v1 every game and he isn’t the best served striker in the premier league.
Well, then many United fans disagree with you..

Last edited:

MrEleson

Well, then many United fans disagree with you..
Doesn’t make them right. Ronaldo is irrationally scapegoated for everything wrong that happens at this club. When he was scoring it was all about him not pressing. Once he managed to start doing that, there the goalposts shifted. I don’t watch United and think we create plenty of chances for Ronaldo and he fails to score, Ofcourse, he doesn’t score every chance (no player on the planet does) but he certainly isn’t being served on a plate every game. We barely even put accurate crosses into the box.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Doesn’t make them right. Ronaldo is irrationally scapegoated for everything wrong that happens at this club. When he was scoring it was all about him not pressing. Once he managed to start doing that, there the goalposts shifted. I don’t watch United and think we create plenty of chances for Ronaldo and he fails to score, Ofcourse, he doesn’t score every chance (no player on the planet does) but he certainly isn’t being served on a plate every game. We barely even put accurate crosses into the box.
in fairness though Ronaldo is vastly under performing when it comes to his xg:

His shot-to-goal conversion rate this season ranks him 11th at Manchester United.

But alas, let’s keep this topic to another thread

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Fully expected him to score an absolute shed load in that PSG side. But maybe his time is up, and his day has come. Albeit i think an MLS swansong is on the horizon

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will he really go to MLS next though?

Stay in PSG he could still play in CL and, he could still do a good job there when he wants to. Just seems to me that, he is no longer interest/able to make any real effort/impact over domestic league season.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Pochetino is the problem at PSG. Best squad in Europe. Can't get a cohherent tune out of them. Some how the players and Messi will carry the can for it.
im not sure it is Poch though. I just think its a team full of egos, and wouldnt be the slightest surprised if there is loads of cliques in that dressing room. Leonardo will be out the door behind Poch i suspect, he's getting some serious flak for poor signings. Diallo, Kehrer, Danilo, Draxler, to name a few mentioned in reports

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Will he really go to MLS next though?

Stay in PSG he could still play in CL and, he could still do a good job there when he wants to. Just seems to me that, he is no longer interest/able to make any real effort/impact over domestic league season.
He looked more energetic in the last game and provided a nice assist. He's not the only player in that team. They lost the league last year. He's obviously past his Best though. PSG looked more set Up for Mpabbe to score and Messi to feed the Strikers. No excuses for his goal record in the league though.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
im not sure it is Poch though. I just think its a team full of egos, and wouldnt be the slightest surprised if there is loads of cliques in that dressing room. Leonardo will be out the door behind Poch i suspect, he's getting some serious flak for poor signings. Diallo, Kehrer, Danilo, Draxler, to name a few mentioned in reports
Lame excuses. Tuchel with most of the same players and a worse squad was consistently coherent inh the league and was only barely stopped by the best of the best in the ucl final, when his team finally had neymar around for a knockout tie.

Poche has the best squad in Europe. There is no one useless on his roster. Those names you listed were more than alright under Tuchel .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do the Messi fans think he would struggle like this in La Liga and for Barcelona this year?

I just don't see it.

Gehrman

Do the Messi fans think he would struggle like this in La Liga and for Barcelona this year?

I just don't see it.
Probably not as much,, but he was looking finished at the beginning of last season.

Gehrman

I think Messi's problem is physical, more than anything, he hasn't been same since his injury in Copa semis against Columbia
Well that and he's old. Still had 1 game where he beat 12 players though.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His mind is on Qatar. That's his last chance at world cup glory.

Argentina has less talent than previous tournaments but they are gritty, balanced and seem to be on the same page.

He could still get motivated in the CL but I imagine games against Brest doesn't really excite Messi these days.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Well that and he's old. Still had 1 game where he beat 12 players though.
Yup he no longer has the pace at consistent level he had when he was young, but Messi's strength was always his intelligence and understanding with his teammates. He is finding some sort of connection with Mbappe, Verrati and Hakimi, but he is still not doing well as Messi. But I have a feeling that he is going to have a Blinder in the end of the season, Messi always bounces back. While we all praise Cristiano for his mentality, Messi also has a weird and unique mentality, where he improves on his weaknesses so much, that people stop praising his improvement at all, because it's Messi's nd it's normal for him. When he was young, criticism was he doesn't score enough goals, he started spamming goals, than criticism was not enough assists, he started spamming assists, than criticism was he doesn't have enough goals from outside the box or freekicks, he started spamming freekicks and goals from outside the box, he has always been a player who spams everything which makes his special moments normal or standard. So while I am confident looking at current condition that he will no longer reach the level he had before, but than can never right him off. Same with Cristiano. These two can turn around things like anything. Although ofcourse there is always an end.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Messi is getting better and more consistent as most PSG fans say especially in ball distribution, playmaking aspects of the game. He also seems to be way better connected with the rest of the team especially with Verratti & Mbappe relative to earlier games (still not comparable to his Barca days). The only way seems to be up from here on.

The issue is you very rarely see him on the scoresheet anymore as he is hitting bars mostly. I am expecting big performances against Real in the return leg and upcoming Ligue 1 games. If that does not happen, then we can discuss how bad of a transfer his move to PSG was.

Sargent7

Las year without Messi PSG won the France Cup, this year with Messi PSG got knocked out in the round of 16. So PSG got worse with Messi.

And one more thing, two years ago PSG reached the CL Final without Messi, let's see how far they go this year with Messi, I mean, if they beat Real Madrid, but then they get knocked out in Quarter finals, it will still be a huge failure.

Gehrman

Las year without Messi PSG won the France Cup, this year with Messi PSG got knocked out in the round of 16. So PSG got worse with Messi.

And one more thing, two years ago PSG reached the CL Final without Messi, let's see how far they go this year with Messi, I mean, if they beat Real Madrid, but then they get knocked out in Quarter finals, it will still be a huge failure.
They will probably win the league though

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

This thread really is an endless source of captivating logic.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

This entire post is utterly ridiculous.

Josh 76

Everyone knows Messi is not the player he was. I just can’t understand why people still trying to criticise him.

Maradona and Pele were done by 32. George Best was done by 27. No one ever talks about their latter years when judging them as the GOAT.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Everyone knows Messi is not the player he was. I just can’t understand why people still trying to criticise him.
Because there are plenty of people still arguing that he's been amazing over the last 12 months.