Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just proof that he didn’t age for Ligue 1.
He just can’t adapt to another team outside the ones he grew in to and are playing towards him.
Yeah, he really should've proved himself for a different country than Argentina. GOATs like Puskas and die Stefano did it as well. Can't be in the conversation.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's worse in sprinting. Nobody gives a shit now Usain Bolt's gone.

I feel like tennis might head that way once the big 3 are done.

Being the best player in the world in any of those sports doesn't really hold much value, if you've watched the actual GOATs dominate them in unprecedented fashion.
Yeah, I think it’s compounded in sprinting because Bolt’s support cast - Powell, Gay and Gatlin were all peppering 9.70 and amongst the greatest of all time. Since their retirement the standard of the top 4-5 has dropped off even despite the artificial boost from times through improvements in shoe technology.

BerryBerryShrew

Yeah, I think it’s compounded in sprinting because Bolt’s support cast - Powell, Gay and Gatlin were all peppering 9.70 and amongst the greatest of all time. Since their retirement the standard of the top 4-5 has dropped off even despite the artificial boost from times through improvements in shoe technology.
This. People only care about 100m sprinting when there is a chance of a new world record. Bolt gave that possibility every time he stepped on the track for the first 3/4 of his career and then for the final 1/4 of it the media created an anti-hero out of Gatlin so people watched because of the compelling narrative (Good V Evil, Bolt V Gatlin).

Real Name

Just had a wee talk with a friend. He asked me who are my favourites for the World cup and said now Messi has lifted 2 trophies with Argentina (although Finalissima one is a bit of a farce), he may feel less pressure in the world cup and thus play better or drag his team to the trophy. I dont think you can regard Argentina as one of the favourites, they dont have that good of a team tbh, but it will be Messi's last WC probably so he'll certainly want to have one last big push for the big thing.

IFC 1905

He just can’t adapt to another team outside the ones he grew in to and are playing towards him.

What a joke.

If there's something this Argentina side don't do, it's playing towards him. They're not looking for him all the time anymore, we have a solid structure from the GK to our NO9 and they can create on their own.

Ligue 1? I guess COVID, leaving the place you lived at, getting to know new teammates and the way the league is played has something to do with it. Or maybe not.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just had a wee talk with a friend. He asked me who are my favourites for the World cup and said now Messi has lifted 2 trophies with Argentina (although Finalissima one is a bit of a farce), he may feel less pressure in the world cup and thus play better or drag his team to the trophy. I dont think you can regard Argentina as one of the favourites, they dont have that good of a team tbh, but it will be Messi's last WC probably so he'll certainly want to have one last big push for the big thing.
This is hands down the best Argentina side since the 2002/06 vintage.

2002 peaked early and had a terrible world cup, 2006 was fantastic on paper and a joy to watch at times but in a transition whereby the old guard were waning and the new generation wasn't quite there yet.

They are resilient, work for each other and have the quality to win a game out of nowhere. They are also on a roll and peaking at the right time. Favourites in my book, by a long country mile.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can someone one enlighten me on what the Finalissima is? Never heard of it before. Am I having a stroke?
Fancy name for what used to be the Artemio Franchi Cup (UEFA vs Conmebol champs) until the rubbish Confederations Cup was introduced so we could watch Tahiti get slaughtered.

Similar to how the Toyota Intercontinental Cup in Tokyo gave way to the Club World Championship.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

2002 peaked early and had a terrible world cup, 2006 was fantastic on paper and a joy to watch at times but in a transition whereby the old guard were waning and the new generation wasn't quite there yet.

They are resilient, work for each other and have the quality to win a game out of nowhere. They are also on a roll and peaking at the right time. Favourites in my book, by a long country mile.
They're just too weak on defense to be considered favourites and surely not by a long mile. Their back 4 is average at best and will get into serious troubles against team with fast attackers (so not italy).

They struggled to win the COPA 1 year ago against one if the worst brazil team in history, and Messi/Di Maria will be 1.5 years older.

Xanther

They didn't look physically strong enough or fast enough yesterday. They worked hard though. If they survive the physicality in the tough games in the World Cup, they may have a small chance.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Argentina is a solid team led by a pragmatic coach that can give Messi the platform to go at it one last time.
In any case - Ronaldo needs to win (and perform well) the WC more than Messi in order to flip the GOAT conversation.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
They're just too weak on defense to be considered favourites and surely not by a long mile. Their back 4 is average at best and will get into serious troubles against team with fast attackers (so not italy).

They struggled to win the COPA 1 year ago against one if the worst brazil team in history, and Messi/Di Maria will be 1.5 years older.
and that Italy won Euros last year, tells you all you need to know about the poor state of most major NTs.
No team stands out for the WC but Argentina is by far the best team in terms of team spirit, cohesion and an easy favorite.

GinobiliTheGOAT

and that Italy won Euros last year, tells you all you need to know about the poor state of most major NTs.
No team stands out for the WC but Argentina is by far the best team in terms of team spirit, cohesion and an easy favorite.
Argentina are in a terrible side of the bracket

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's not "that" Italy, it was an Italy with an overperforming Jorginho, Chiesa who was their best player, a younger Chiellini, Immobile, Insigne, Verratti and some luck.

Now watch Mbappé, Coman, Saka, Fati, Leao etc run at full speed towards Otamendi and lets see what happens.

They could be contenders for sure, easy favorite is a clear overstatement.

fps

Fair enough I thought he meant peak playing ability.

I didn't mean his peak was only at United per say , more that he had been in his peak from 2007 till 2017, while for Messi that would have been from 2009 to 2018.
Pretty obvious what I mean.

Yeah fair enough, but i'm sure he meant the time when Messi was pulling away a bit before Ronaldo exploded again going into his 30s, creating some recency bias for younger (and older) fans.
Exactly.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
It's not "that" Italy, it was an Italy with an overperforming Jorginho, Chiesa who was their best player, a younger Chiellini, Immobile, Insigne, Verratti and some luck.

Now watch Mbappé, Coman, Saka, Fati, Leao etc run at full speed towards Otamendi and lets see what happens.

All players will shine in some tournaments and do average or below average in some others and it is not like Italy won it 4 years ago, it was last summer.. If anything, you are underrating the team with the longest undefeated run in the world of football.. I don't remember the last time Italy was humiliated this way and lost 3-0, 4-1 etc. a very rare thing..

Defense is not their strongest point, I agree, but way more improved than that terrible defense in 2018, probably the worst Argentine defense ever. Yet, peak France with Mbappe could only win 4-3, could easily go the other way..

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

I think this Argentina is very cynical compared to previous ones. With even Messi making questionable challenges. I have never seen Messi playing as dirty as he did during Copa 2021. Diving, fouls and so on. I think while not the best in terms of quality, this Argentina is an organised cynical unit, and will definitely be pain in the ass for the best teams. Kinda like how they were against Brazil in 2021 final. Although most important thing for them is to have Messi at his playmaking best, chipping with goals and Di Maria fit for whole tournament.

Skills

Snitch
Im guessing it's the drugs, but Bolt also dragged the rest of the field up a notch. 2012 final was ridiculous

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Argentina are in a terrible side of the bracket
I disagree.

You have Holland, Argentina, Spain/Germany, Brazil on one side of the bracket and England, France, Belgium and Portugal on the other.
I see Belgium better than Holland and Spa/Ger - Bra vs Fra/Eng as equivalent.

Also, either Spain or Germany, whoever finishes 2nd will move to the other bracket.

Last edited:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

I don't think you've actually watched Brazil or Argentina that much over the past couple of years if this is what you think.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Pure nonsense. He'll score 20+ league goals for PSG next season, just watch.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't think you've actually watched Brazil or Argentina that much over the past couple of years if this is what you think.
I rarerly miss a game. Last year's COPA was the worst I've seen in decades. The overall level was appalling, and god knows I've loved these blessed years when Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia and Brazil were at a really good level but lately it's been bad in south america.

And yeah, Brazil is that bad, there's pretty much nothing going on for years now. Tite can't line up the same team twice in a row, it's constant expirements and nothing really works, especially in the midfield.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I rarerly miss a game. Last year's COPA was the worst I've seen in decades. The overall level was appalling, and god knows I've loved these blessed years when Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia and Brazil were at a really good level but lately it's been bad in south america.

And yeah, Brazil is that bad, there's pretty much nothing going on for years now. Tite can't line up the same team twice in a row, it's constant expirements and nothing really works, especially in the midfield.
You are overrating the European teams and underrating Brazil and Argentina. I think you're in for a big surprise come the World Cup. And it's odd that you would claim that an Arg team that has not lost for 32 matches and has like 18 clean sheets in that run is 'too weak on defense.'

I'm sure you'll make some claims about their opposition but I'd caution you to look up how many international teams in history have gone that long without losing a game. Spoiler alert: not many, whatever the level and opposition. And yet they still finished behind the 'worst Brazilian team in history' in qualifying.

The only European team that is strong at the moment is France, but I don't think they're going back to back for a number of reasons, not least that it almost never happens.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You are overrating the European teams and underrating Brazil and Argentina. I think you're in for a big surprise come the World Cup. And it's odd that you would claim that an Arg team that has not lost for 32 matches and has like 18 clean sheets in that run is 'too weak on defense.'

I'm sure you'll make some claims about their opposition but I'd caution you to look up how many international teams in history have gone that long without losing a game. Spoiler alert: not many, whatever the level and opposition. And yet they still finished behind the 'worst Brazilian team in history' in qualifying.

The only European team that is strong at the moment is France, but I don't think they're going back to back for a number of reasons, not least that it almost never happens.
I'm not rating Brazil and Argentina against european teams, i'm doing it based on what I see on the pitch and what I used to see in the past. Nobody can seriously argue that teams like Uruguay, Colombia or Chile are half of what they were 8-10 years ago.

And the winning streak is pretty much irrelevant. It's actually pretty funny because both Italy and Algeria really recently ended an record breaking unbeaten streak (37 and 35) : both of these teams are out of the world cup.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I'm not rating Brazil and Argentina against european teams, i'm doing it based on what I see on the pitch and what I used to see in the past. Nobody can seriously argue that teams like Uruguay, Colombia or Chile are half of what they were 8-10 years ago.

And the winning streak is pretty much irrelevant. It's actually pretty funny because both Italy and Algeria really recently ended an record breaking unbeaten streak (37 and 35) : both of these teams are out of the world cup.
There's no point in rating them against the past because they are playing now and they are both favourites for the world cup now, no matter which way you slice it.

It's not a winning streak but an unbeaten streak. Italy didn't qualify, but are they not the European champions? Therefore they are a good team. Also, Algeria's record at a much lower level of competition is 25 matches (according to FIFA), not 35, so you're wrong about that I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Real Name

I meant names wise maybe not in the top bracket but as a team they're certainly doing really good. I like Argentina a lot, second favourite national team after of course Croatia and I'd like them to go all the way. If we dont go of course. :D

DaGOAT

Destroyed Estonia tonight.

If only he had played in Europe for Spain in his prime. But unlucky for him he didn’t get to feast on these pub teams.

Yes. Messi in a European national team would destroy these minnows. Like Ronaldo has done (36 matches vs pub teams outside world ranking top 100).

I always imagine what Messi with Spain would have been like. He likely would have a Euro and/or a WC title to his name not to mention a HUGE amount of goals given the lack of quality in these teams like (Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Luxembourg, Estonia etc).

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

If only he had played in Europe for Spain in his prime. But unlucky for him he didn’t get to feast on these pub teams.

Yes. Messi in a European national team would destroy these minnows. Like Ronaldo has done (36 matches vs pub teams outside world ranking top 100).

I always imagine what Messi with Spain would have been like. He likely would have a Euro and/or a WC title to his name not to mention a HUGE amount of goals given the lack of quality in these teams like (Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Luxembourg, Estonia etc).

This is a Messi thread bro, at least don't bring up the obvious discreet comparision everytime.

JuriM

It was out B team due keeping the most fresh for Nations League games, but yea he was too much for us to handle tonight.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ronaldo really does live rent free in some people's head, christ.

Anyway brilliant from Messi, looks like he is properly turning it on for his country. Would love to see him have a great world cup.

DaGOAT

This is a Messi thread bro, at least don't bring up the obvious discreet comparision everytime.
Why shouldn’t I mention Ronaldo when his fans prop up his immense national team goalscoring record every time they can yet at the same time ignore the context of that record. 36 fecking matches vs teams outside top 100 on the world ranking. That’s a joke. Not Ronaldo’s fault at all, but surely a context that shouldn’t be ignored.

Messi didn’t have this luxury of frequently playing these teams in his prime. Ronaldo did so in his prime. That’s important.

Messi past his prime put 5 past Estonia, and thus it’s very likely that had Messi chosen to play for Spain he’d have been equal to Ronaldo in terms of goalscoring for national teams as he’d also had the opportunity to feast on these pub teams.

This needs to be pointed out.
He nothing to do with Ronaldo “living rent free” in someone’s head. This is a new but important perspective in that comparison.

Ladron de redcafe

Living Legend
This batch of Argentine players seem to really look up to him. After the Copa and then again after the Finalessima, you could see them taking photos with him. Didn't his Barcelona teammates do that after his last Copa del Rey?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He nothing to do with Ronaldo “living rent free” in someone’s head. This is a new but important perspective in that comparison.
It's not new, it's not important, and it's not in the right thread.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why shouldn’t I mention Ronaldo when his fans prop up his immense national team goalscoring record every time they can yet at the same time ignore the context of that record. 36 fecking matches vs teams outside top 100 on the world ranking. That’s a joke. Not Ronaldo’s fault at all, but surely a context that shouldn’t be ignored.

Messi didn’t have this luxury of frequently playing these teams in his prime. Ronaldo did so in his prime. That’s important.

Messi past his prime put 5 past Estonia, and thus it’s very likely that had Messi chosen to play for Spain he’d have been equal to Ronaldo in terms of goalscoring for national teams as he’d also had the opportunity to feast on these pub teams.

It's just not the Messi vs Ronaldo thread. They closed though so now people are trying it in other threads

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Yes except ignoring the fact that most of Messi goals for Argentina came in…..friendlies.

Quite a different context of matches compared to qualifiers since you like to bring up the context factor.

Ronaldo’s record for Portugal is rightfully lauded because it is an incredible feat.

Back to the Messi thread. Incredible game tonight and it must be said that in his whole career this is the most engaged and best I’ve seen him perform for Argentina in the past year. Everything seems to be clicking for Argentina and they look like a proper team and a top 3 contender for the WC this winter.

The WC Will be his last hoorah and I expect he will try to be at the abso Peak of his powers one last time before he retires.