Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
My point still stands, the Messi vs Ronaldo fanbois are up there with Marvel vs DC as some of the worst people on the internet.
I find the Ronaldo fans more annoying because at least the Messi ones are IMO correct.

It's like Flat-Earthers vs people who really really really believe that the earth is round.

I probably could be counted as a Messi fan boy because I love watching him play due to the fact he's the best I've ever seen (live in my life time) in a sport I love the most so really the only excuse for not feeling that way about him (if you love football and are my age) is tribalism (I don't expect Madrid fans to love him for example or even United after the finals) IMO.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I find the Ronaldo fans more annoying because at least the Messi ones are IMO correct.

It's like Flat-Earthers vs people who really really really believe that the earth is round.

I probably could be counted as a Messi fan boy because I love watching him play due to the fact he's the best I've ever seen (live in my life time) in a sport I love the most so really the only excuse for not feeling that way about him (if you love football and are my age) is tribalism (I don't expect Madrid fans to love him for example or even United after the finals) IMO.
Also you're argentinian

jm99

Its just so unlikely that there isnt doping in the worlds biggest sport when its rife in others. Fuentes said Spain would lose their wc title if he told the truth. And then you had the madrid court ordering all the players blood bags be to be destroyed.
Not to mention you look at clubs like city, cooking the books to circumvent financial rules, barcelona bribing referees, juventus doing, well, i dont think theres time to list all their wrongdoings in a post.

The idea that these clubs are totally OK with gaining an advantage by cheating in every other way, but wouldn't do this with doping is ridiculous. I'm not limiting it to just these clubs BTW, these are just the obvious ones that have high profile cheating scandals, but most top clubs would try whatever they could to gain an advantage

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not to mention you look at clubs like city, cooking the books to circumvent financial rules, barcelona bribing referees, juventus doing, well, i dont think theres time to list all their wrongdoings in a post.

The idea that these clubs are totally OK with gaining an advantage by cheating in every other way, but wouldn't do this with doping is ridiculous. I'm not limiting it to just these clubs BTW, these are just the obvious ones that have high profile cheating scandals, but most top clubs would try whatever they could to gain an advantage
For me the question is more who wouldnt? They have personal sports doctors who know all about this stuff. Just like euphoric drugs, designer drugs are developed so quickly that it takes a long time before it becomes illegal. I simply cant imagine the same doesnt apply to performing enhancing substances. This is not aimed at Messi or Ronnie but just footballers in general. Their mindset is the same as other Athletes at the highest level. They just want to win.

jm99

For me the question is more who wouldnt? They have personal sports doctors who know all about this stuff. Just like euphoric drugs, designer drugs are developed so quickly that it takes a long time before it becomes illegal. I simply cant imagine the same doesnt apply to performing enhancing substances. This is not aimed at Messi or Ronnie but just footballers in general. Their mindset is the same as other Athletes at the highest level. They just want to win.
Yeah, you only have to look as far as amateur bodybuilding competitions to see people who'll dope in order to win, even with very little apart from winning actually being at stake. Top level athletes where a 10% boost in performance might be the difference between a club taking a chance and signing you to a big contract vs never getting that opportunity. When there's so much money and prestige at stake of course players will dope

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think the best argument against doping in football is that probably so much is already allowed in certain doses that the risk wouldn't pay off.

IFC 1905

Ahahahah how did i miss this!!!! We have a grudge here caf!!!!
I appreciate Racing Club anyways, they're our little boys who think they're great despite having such a little history. They even named a street Diego Milito who won two leagues with them.
And the Caf should support me, my team are the red devils of America.

Even regarding to this thread alone, this picture says there's no debate:

What a beauty that shirt is by the way

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Baneofthegame

You can like/love either player, it's the constant back and forth of people essentially just dying on a hill to be right so they can claim their player/thing is the greatest end of story ever.

Same thing in basketball with MJ/Lebron/Cap or whoever.

Personally I think Messi is the better all round player for what it's worth, but his fans are insufferable at times (same with the Ronaldo ones as well).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I think the best argument against doping in football is that probably so much is already allowed in certain doses that the risk wouldn't pay off.
If so much is already allowed, then we already have legal enhancing drugs that boost endurance and resistance, and somehow aren't considered illegal.

The line between what it's considered legal and illegal is very thin, clubs can definitely take advantage of this.

Creatine is allowed for example, a very well know booster of physical performance.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I appreciate Racing Club anyways, they're our little boys who think they're great despite having such a little history. They even named a street Diego Milito who won two leagues with them.

This makes me sad I'll never see Messi in a United shirt :lol:

Pocho

Also you're argentinian
The Goat debate in Argentina is Maradona or Messi. No one puts Ronaldo in the conversation, ten years ago it was Maradona vs Pele.

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Haha, that's an incredible analogy. I love it :D

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

What shirt is that?

mshnsh

Truth is that Ronaldo as a footballer isn't/has never been anywhere near as good Messi. His achievements and goal stats are amazing due to his will and determination to be the best.

Anyway, for most of the world the debate that never was ceased to exist on 18th Dec 2022.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

find the Ronaldo fans more annoying because at least the Messi ones are IMO correct.
The lack of self-awareness is astonishing
Messi can drop countless 2/10 stinkers and still have his army of fanboys come to the rescue to scapegoat somebody else and/or find some obscure advanced stat to argue he still performed well.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The lack of self-awareness is astonishing
Messi can drop countless 2/10 stinkers and still have his army of fanboys come to the rescue to scapegoat somebody else and/or find some obscure advanced stat to argue he still performed well.
I assume you can't count very far.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's definitely arguable that the height of club football is now superior in quality to the height of international football. If you watched the World Cup final then you know that this is far from a given: I can't recall a single CL final that was anywhere near that good. But it's arguable (only at the business end of the CL mind you: the early rounds typically have lots of club teams that are not very good).

However, the problem with superclubs in the Modern game is that they make football easier for the top players, not harder. One of the reasons Maradona was favourably compared to Pele despite being less successful at World Cups is because Pele was surrounded by World Class players whereas Maradona wasn't.

Messi has had great success at club level but bile-filled haters had always taken shots. 'It's because of Xavi and Iniesta' . 'Barcelona comfort zone'. 'System player.' 'Got to play with Neymar. Got to play with Suarez. Carried by Mbappe' etc etc.

Now at international level in this day an age, there is a a good chance that you will have worse teammates than at club level. Not the case in the past. When Messi was not successful with Argentina, the haters would point to this and say 'See? Can't do it without Barca/Xavi/Iniesta/the system etc.'

The funny thing is, now he has captained the the most successful Argentina team of all time, a team that you could argue has no world class players apart from him. Contrast that with the stacked teams that have been similarly successful in the recent past: Spain, France, Germany.

It's a monumental achievement that obliterates the notion that he was being carried by his teammates or the system or whatever.

And yet the haters don't concede and say 'yeah he's actually pretty good'. No they change tack. 'The World Cup doesn't mean that much. The CL Is clearly superior' 'record number of penaties' 'FIFA wants him to win and wants to give him all the awards'

Proving the time old adage that whatever the weather, 'haters gonna hate'.
Only criticism of this post is why the double spacing between paragraphs man? :lol: jokes

Fantastic post & yeah, basically pointless debating with those arguing in bad faith.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
PSG/Barca 2017
Roma/Barca 2018
Bayern/Barca 2020
Barca/PSG 2021
Madrid/PSG 2022

And I'm generous enough to only mention big games here ...
So you had to go back 6 years just to find 5 examples. And all of them were cases in which his team was dominated by the opponent. Do you even realize how bad it would look for Cristiano (or every other player out their) if you held him to the same standards?

Well meant advice, whatever makes you so bitter, just make your peace with it and enjoy the last seasons you can watch him. Messi might very well be the best player you witness during your lifetime and you can't enjoy it because of your small mindedness. Ten years from now, you'll be annoyed of yourself for that. You can enjoy both players, you know. And why do you even watch football if you can't enjoy watching one of the very best the sport has ever produced? Imagine speaking to your father about Maradona or your grandfather about Pelé and all they tell you is how they sucked in a handful of games.

Ladron de redcafe

Got to 1000 goals and assists at club level with his goal last night. He's at 1,151 for club and at international level. 1,250 would be very hard to reach, if he can sustain his level for a while.

He's at 30 goals and 20 assists for club and Country for the season, and it's early March :lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Only criticism of this post is why the double spacing between paragraphs man? :lol: jokes

Fantastic post & yeah, basically pointless debating with those arguing in bad faith.
Haha thanks. I'd love to say I did it deliberately for dramatic effect but the real reason is issues with my phone :houllier:

tariqo

Supports
barcelona
So Ronaldo’s fanboys still believing the comparison exists :D:D:D

If we talking about skills wise & performance not stats ….

Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t a top 5 player in the last 10 years

And definitely not a top 20 all time … just deal with it

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Another year and another cl failure so where next, a return to Barca? Another year at Paris or maybe just somewhere else entitled.

Gottabekiddingme

Not very good when the refs aren’t desperate for him to win.
2 things.

1. The level in the Champions League is just higher than the World Cup. Messi hasn't performed in the CL knockouts for a long time now.

2. PSG isn't built around him like Argentina. Mbappe not pressing for him is a major blow.

Has nothing to do with refs.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Not very good when the refs aren’t desperate for him to win.
World Cup would say otherwise. Even without PK's he was the best player on the pitch a majority of the time.

Today he was not good but his WC is a hundred times more important than CL. Everyone else went missing for PSG as well.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Guy genuinely doesnt give a feck anymore, he has completed football.