Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Platini and Maradona peak never coincided, when Platini was declining Maradona started to hit his prime.
There isn't a very big gap between them, considering Platini had a goated passing, control and vision, where Maradona was better was at dribbling.

I'd argue the gap in talent between Messi and Ronaldo is bigger, considering Messi is better than Ronaldo at everything except scoring.

I never needed the WC to notice that Messi is better than Ronaldo.
How is Ronaldo a better goalscorer when he only has 15 more goals than Messi, excluding the South African league, but have played around 12000 more minutes? Around 3 full seasons worth. Or is it the whole CL knockout thing?

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
2. Ronaldo won the champions league 3 out of 5 times primarily playing as a goalpoacher. Messi was THE stand out player in 3 out 4 he has won, not just intrrms of goals but interms of iconic performances.
The logic behind this argument so bizarre.

It's easier to win the CL as a goalpoacher than being "the standout player", I guess.

Then why the feck did Messi not just play as a goalpoacher then. He would have won more titles. I'm sure Barcelona fans are thrilled that he deprived them of more European titles in exchange for being the standout player!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How is Ronaldo a better goalscorer when he only has 15 more goals than Messi, excluding the South African league, but have played around 12000 more minutes? Around 3 full seasons worth. Or is it the whole CL knockout thing?
The only hard games are CL away games in the knockout stage apparently.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I find the logic of downplaying Ronaldo to boost Messi so strange.

Imagine if they were students instead of football players. They take a test. Messi scores 99/100, Ronaldo scores 85/100.

The normal thing to do is to say "Messi's 14 extra points show he is the better player."

Instead some people here go "actually, Ronaldo can't read or write. He has had 5 debilitating brain injuries. You can get an 85 on this test even if your brain is made out of cottage cheese. But getting a 99 is great, though."

Eddy_JukeZ

Well yeah obviously. I don't disagree he has a claim to being the GOAT, what's weird for me is people calling him the GOAT before the world cup who now claim that without a world cup you can't be the GOAT
It was never about winning the World Cup with some for Messi.

It was about his performance levels at the World Cup.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Imagine if they were students instead of football players. They take a test. Messi scores 99/100, Ronaldo scores 85/100.

The normal thing to do is to say "Messi's 14 extra points show he is the better player."

Instead some people here go "actually, Ronaldo can't read or write. He has had 5 debilitating brain injuries. You can get an 85 on this test even if your brain is made out of cottage cheese. But getting a 99 is great, though."
To be fair, there's people in here downplaying Messi at the WC to prop up Ronaldo.

It goes both ways.

Gazza

Honestly, using your analogy, if Ronaldo’s acolytes could admit that Ronaldo is going to Berkeley while Messi is going to Stanford, it would be aite.

TheRedHearted

Truth is that Ronaldo as a footballer isn't/has never been anywhere near as good Messi. His achievements and goal stats are amazing due to his will and determination to be the best.

Anyway, for most of the world the debate that never was ceased to exist on 18th Dec 2022.
How when Ronaldo is older anyway?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wonder how he is looked at post the Barcelona Referee payment findings

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
He is just a footballer, he has no say in paying referees.

And btw Ronaldo played for Real Madrid who ironically also benefited from refeere 'mistakes' in the UCL many times even against the likes of Bayern Munich and Juventus, not just small clubs

Rojow

Referees where the ones giving him the freedom to dribble past players, doing amazing goals and creating plenty of chances for his teammates. It was like cocaine for Maradona.

That's what you are saying? Right?

tomaldinho1

Why would it make any difference to anyone with a modicum of sense?
It’s less on him than Barca and much more going to affect Pep’s legacy. If you think Pep’s two CL wins both came with 2 ridiculous referee performances (Chelsea and Arsenal knock out games) if they can link Ovrebo and Busacca for me it decimates what he’s achieved.

As a player Messi is somewhat safe, you can’t ignore the quality you see from him on the pitch and it would only matter if you’re a stat caveman that 2 CL wins becoming a bit dubious affected your impression of him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It’s less on him than Barca and much more going to affect Pep’s legacy. If you think Pep’s two CL wins both came with 2 ridiculous referee performances (Chelsea and Arsenal knock out games) if they can link Ovrebo and Busacca for me it decimates what he’s achieved.

As a player Messi is somewhat safe, you can’t ignore the quality you see from him on the pitch and it would only matter if you’re a stat caveman that 2 CL wins becoming a bit dubious affected your impression of him.
It's not like you couldn't see Pep's quality on the pitch.

On a sidenote, so far I thought it only affected the Spanish referee association? Are there any hints it could span international football as well?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Tbh many CL titles/victories had huge referee mistakes.

United disallowed goal against Mourinho's Porto in 2004 is one of them for example, you can add the Real's offside goal against Juventus in 1998 final too.

Even the non-winner teams can have massive favorable decisions in a game , i remember the red card Zlatan got against Chelsea in the very first minutes of a CL game, it was ridiculous, when the foul he committed didn't even deserve a yellow...but Chelsea didn't win the UCL that season after knocking out 10 men PSG, so nobody cared.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh many CL titles/victories had huge referee mistakes.

United disallowed goal against Mourinho's Porto in 2004 is one of them for example, you can add the Real's offside goal against Juventus in 1998 final too.

Even the non-winner teams can have massive favorable decisions in a game , i remember the red card Zlatan got against Chelsea in the very first minutes of a CL game, it was ridiculous, when the foul he committed didn't even deserve a yellow...but Chelsea didn't win the UCL that season after knocking out 10 men PSG, so nobody cared.
PSG knocked us out that season. A late David Luiz header equalized at Stamford Bridge.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
This is not going to affect Messi or Pep's legacies. They are both quite obviously extremely good and talented. C'mon now.

tomaldinho1

It's not like you couldn't see Pep's quality on the pitch.

On a sidenote, so far I thought it only affected the Spanish referee association? Are there any hints it could span international football as well?
Yes but they’re 100% of Pep’s CL wins. Something exacerbated by Bayern/City spending massively on him to deliver another so far without success and then Bayern winning one before and after he was there.

I would assume it spans European football because UEFA is corrupt as sin but I don’t know if there’s any credible link but being honest I don’t know how to find the info on the FIFA ref committee. They have linked Negreira with the Spain Euro 08 team so it’s not solely domestic.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

It won't affect Pep's legacy either. Why does everyone ignore the fact that Overebo sent off a Barca player in that Chelsea game? Make it make sense y'all.

Gehrman

For anyone with a pair of eyes. It shouldnt. In the great trophy game it will though if Barca are stripped of their trophies.

whitbyviking

Messi allegedly going to be offered a contract worth €220 / £193m per season by an unnamed Saudi club. Does this beat the Ronaldo offer? :lol:

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
If you look at the number of red crads and penalties for and against Barcelona between 2003 and 2008 you will notice that it's in line with the numbers of other Spanish clubs. Don't get me wrong what happened with Negreira is definitely shady but i dont think it allowed Barça to gain an unfair advantage on the pitch. A lot of important decisions went against us like against Atletico in 2014 and Betis in 2017 which cost us titles, other decisions were in our favor which is the same thing that happens for any other team.

Stats for Pens and red cards in Laliga between 2003 and 2018

Gottabekiddingme

MUNDO DEPORTIVE:

An important sector of PSG Ultras are preparing to blame Messi for the elimination in the Champions League: "We will whistle at him. He charges too much in relation to what he offers on the pitch".

Al Khelaifi's entourage claims to be unaware of the Ultras' intention to whistle Messi.

"I can't elaborate on more details of what we have prepared", a PSG ultras member said.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
According to that link Barcelona's "card balance" is almost twice as high as the next team on the list, that's not really "in line."

Gehrman

Yeah its Panama and a friendly, but 800 goals is a nice milestone.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
He has embarked on an awesome farewell tour with Argentina with the aim of playing Copa America in 2024.

For that he will want to stay in Europa and play football at a high/competitive level.

What he needs to do is to go home to Barcelona and finish out his club career there.

Pocho

Is the Saudí League boosting the Ronaldo fans comeback to this thread, seriously??? :lol:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
What he needs to do is to go home to Barcelona and finish out his club career there.
According to Aguero, there is a 50% chance of him returning. Sources close to him also confirm his desire to return and end his european career at Barca. That's why he still didn't extend with PSG. But first, things need to happen:

1. Laporta and Messi need to meet and resolve all issues. Messi's departure was a bad one, after Laporta promised throughout his whole campaign to keep Messi. Messi believed him, until Laporta dropped that bomb and everything was over. Messi couldn't look him in the eyes afterwards during the farewell ceremony. (But that is probably the easiest one.)

2. LaLiga needs to allow this signing. Tebas went to war against Barca because of his own ego. He needs to put his own interest behind LaLiga's, because Messi's return would mean a huge international interest for them. Laporta and Alemany do everything they can to reduce the wage bill without weakening the team, but most of Bartomeu's contracts run at least until 2024. So there is only so much Barca's board can do in the next window without selling key players and give up sporting ambitions.

3. Messi needs to accept Barca's new wage limit, as every new player does. That means around half or even less of what he is currently earning at PSG.

Supports
Barcelona
Sadly I think it's unlikely to happen because of the financial situation + the Negreira case. Terrible timing to try and get Messi back.

IFC 1905

Well, I heard one of these days Messi will meet with some argentinian league directives who will try to convince him to come back to Argentina.

I hope it never happens.

Gehrman

Well, I heard one of these days Messi will meet with some argentinian league directives who will try to convince him to come back to Argentina.

I hope it never happens.
Probably not, but i think his eying semi retirement very soon, by that i mean the mls or South Africa or whatever.

Gehrman

He will go to the MLS for sure. Said a couple times he likes it in there. He could create his own franchise ala Beckham.
I just dont know why some are desperate for him to keep going untillnhe's completely finished. He's declined very visibly(yes i know he's favourite for the next Ballon D'or). I just dont think its all that exciting to watch him anymore and i think Barca would be smart not to bring him back. I think Messi knows that if he wants to retire on a high it should be very soon, but i think its difficult to quit when everyone is begging you to never retire.

IFC 1905

I just dont know why some are desperate for him to keep going untillnhe's completely finished. He's declined very visibly(yes i know he's favourite for the next Ballon D'or). I just dont think its all that exciting to watch him anymore and i think Barca would be smart not to bring him back. I think Messi knows that if he wants to retire on a high it should be very soon, but i think its difficult to quit when everyone is begging you to never retire.
He's decliend on a physical level, yes. On the other hand, he is probably the most intelligent player there has ever been in football. If he gets a team that would run for him (like Argentina at the WC) and let him participate only in the offensive part he can be a hell of a playmaker and assiter for the strikers. He can play by walking. He sees things other players don't see, like the assist he made vs The Netherlands. If that's not exciting to watch, I don't know what it is. On top of that, he is still capable to score goals and keep the ball safe. I would certainly bring him to Manchester United to organize the team, letting the rest to do the hard work.

The problem comes when he plays with guys who won't run like Mbappe or Neymar. The balance is gone when it happens.