Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's decliend on a physical level, yes. On the other hand, he is probably the most intelligent player there has ever been in football. If he gets a team that would run for him (like Argentina at the WC) and let him participate only in the offensive part he can be a hell of a playmaker and assiter for the strikers. He can play by walking. He sees things other players don't see, like the assist he made vs The Netherlands. If that's not exciting to watch, I don't know what it is. On top of that, he is still capable to score goals and keep the ball safe. I would certainly bring him to Manchester United to organize the team, letting the rest to do the hard work.

The problem comes when he plays with guys who won't run like Mbappe or Neymar. The balance is gone when it happens.
Im not saying he doesnt pull off some great stuff every now and then, there's still just a huge gap from him now compared to when he was 31 let alone 23. There is are too many games where he looks too sluggish and cant impose himself in big games.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Two seasons before Messi : CL final and CL semi final

Two seasons since Messi joined : last 16 and last 16
They faced better teams in recent years than the year they went to the CL final and semi final leading up to those rounds

GinobiliTheGOAT

"The team is unbalanced."

Last year, PSG played Real Madrid. They were given a penalty. Messi took the penalty. He missed. PSG would go out against Real Madrid by one goal.

This is a scenario where the "team" does not matter, it is literally just Messi vs. the goalkeeper.
And what about the massive screw ups in the second leg by Marquinhos and donnarama? Those were far worse mistakes than Messi missing the penalty

mshnsh

PSG are a very bad team. They have a few individuals who can produce moments but that's it. There is no cohesion and no balance in the team. Reminds me of Real Madrid’s galacticos although the team outside the front three is actually inferior in ability.

The French press and PSG ultra don't like to blame one of their own so instead it is either Neymar or Messi who is the scapegoat. Mbappe had been terrible in most games for PSG since the World Cup as was the case in Munich but there is no mention of that anywhere.

mshnsh

Last year, PSG played Real Madrid. They were given a penalty. Messi took the penalty. He missed. PSG would go out against Real Madrid by one goal.

This is a scenario where the "team" does not matter, it is literally just Messi vs. the goalkeeper.
Penalties are a lottery. Any player can feck one up. Recently, Mbappe missed 2 penalties in one game.

Cristiano missed one vs Barcelona in 2008. Could easily have cost us.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Road to the CL final in 2020 : Dortmund,Atalanta,Leipzig.
Road to CL Semis in 2021 : Koeman's Barca and Bayern.
While beating Bayern is always going to be very impressive you must take into account that they did not have Lewandowski in that tie and still dominated in open-play and could have easily gone through with better finishing.

PSG was just never an European powerhouse.

jm99

Are the people quoting me even looking at the post I replied to? It was someone saying psg likely wouldn't have made the last 16 without Messi, even though they progressed further before he joined. I'm not saying he's made them worse or anything, I'm replying to a ludicrous suggestion that psg would have been out at the group staves without messi

BalanceUnAutreJoint

People don’t need to be PSG fans to understand where and what problem is.

Messi went there for other things than just football. However, he is still their best player. There is illusion that Mbappe is better player but that stays with just that. Illusion. Without Messi, they wouldn’t even come this far. Question is if they would even have lead in their League without him. A poor constructed team.
Messi isn't PSG's best player.
While I would strongly disagree with the idea that he has made them worse or ruined them I still don't think Messi even adds anything to this team.
He did nothing against Madrid or Bayern the past two years and he was brought in to perform on that kind of stage.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
While I would strongly disagree with the idea that he has made them worse or ruined them I still don't think Messi even adds anything to this team.
He did nothing against Madrid or Bayern the past two years and he was brought in to perform on that kind of stage.
Ultimately it doesn't matter. Messi's legacy is bulletproof now. It matters for PSG, who for some reason have never been able to get over the hump, no matter what world class managers they have at the helm or players they have in their team. But for Messi, he's already achieved more than anyone in football history apart from (possibly) Pele, who it is difficult to make a direct comparison to in terms of achievements because the game was so different then.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Are the people quoting me even looking at the post I replied to? It was someone saying psg likely wouldn't have made the last 16 without Messi, even though they progressed further before he joined. I'm not saying he's made them worse or anything, I'm replying to a ludicrous suggestion that psg would have been out at the group staves without messi
Well it's definitely not true that they would have been out at the group stages without Messi, if that's what was said.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn’t stay in Europe that much longer if I were him - a move to Barcelona will indivisibly end in disappointment after the initial romanticism. He’s still brilliant but in decline and nothing he will do will top his achievements at the WC. If I were him I’d take a step down either to a mid level club for a unique experience in Europe or back to Argentina. But I think a year more at PSG and then US is more likely.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mbappe had been terrible in most games for PSG since the World Cup as was the case in Munich but there is no mention of that anywhere.
That much is true. People keep telling you Mbappe is a better player than Messi but when PSG struggles, they don't single out him for his invisible performances. Somehow Mbappe is excluded because he 'can always be dangerous'. If so then why wasn't he?

If Messi and Neymar really are to leave PSG this summer while Mbappe stays, it'll be a lot rougher for him in case of continued failure. At some point people will question why he isn't doing more in terms of chance creation, build up, work against the ball (of which he does even less than Messi and Neymar), etc. Same goes for Haaland.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Watched the highlight of his game against Panama and the difference in that performance and his recent Psg performances are night and day. And you can say that about the difference between the team chemistry of Argentina and Psg

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Watched the highlight of his game against Panama and the difference in that performance and his recent Psg performances are night and day. And you can say that about the difference between the team chemistry of Argentina and Psg
Panama is a shit team, they literally have players in their local league and the venezuelan league, Harry Maguire would look like Maldini and Wan-Bissaka would be Beckenbauer against Panama.

Montpellier from Ligue 1 is a better team than Panama.

mshnsh

That much is true. People keep telling you Mbappe is a better player than Messi but when PSG struggles, they don't single out him for his invisible performances. Somehow Mbappe is excluded because he 'can always be dangerous'. If so then why wasn't he?

If Messi and Neymar really are to leave PSG this summer while Mbappe stays, it'll be a lot rougher for him in case of continued failure. At some point people will question why he isn't doing more in terms of chance creation, build up, work against the ball (of which he does even less than Messi and Neymar), etc. Same goes for Haaland.
He is the French media/pundits/ex players' darling, that is obvious and probably understandable. But why he is spared by others is puzzling. When he does well he gets praised but nothing is written/said about piss poor performances like the one in Munich.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Mbappe has credit cause he had very good performances against top teams in the UCL before this season, even when the team got outplayed.

You give credit to players who already delivered before, that's why Agüero and Higuaín always got focused when their teams got knocked out of the UCL, cause they barely had any good performance against top teams in Europe.

Also PSG midfield is mediocre, after all the money Qatar invested, their midfield is still shit, and they keep signing washed up stars to sell t-shirts in Asia.

mshnsh

He has been this season, although below his personal best; obviously in decline.
PSG have multiple issues such as a poor midfield and defence and lack of work rate from the front 3.

In anycase, this PSG team has Mbappe as its focal point. He has the main responsibility to score whereas Neymar and Messi play deeper to supply Mbappe.

BTW Mbappe has not had a good season at all despite the stats and was actually poor vs Munich away as was the case in both games vs Benfica.

Last edited:

mshnsh

Mbappe has credit cause he had very good performances against top teams in the UCL before this season, even when the team got outplayed.

You give credit to players who already delivered before, that's why Agüero and Higuaín always got focused when their teams got knocked out of the UCL, cause they barely had any good performance against top teams in Europe.

Also PSG midfield is mediocre, after all the money Qatar invested, their midfield is still shit, and they keep signing washed up stars to sell t-shirts in Asia.
Than why does Neymar have it so rough when he has also delivered before? The run to the final for instance was inspired by Neymar, the performance vs Bayern in the QF was for the ages too and another level to Mbappe on the night.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Panama is a shit team, they literally have players in their local league and the venezuelan league, Harry Maguire would look like Maldini and Wan-Bissaka would be Beckenbauer against Panama.

Montpellier from Ligue 1 is a better team than Panama.
You're not wrong except the Maguire part. Still, watching the game you can see the difference in the two teams. There were a number of nice one twos whereas it hardly comes off at Psg. He also played more one touch football while at Psg he tends to hold the ball for two long before losing it

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Than why does Neymar have it so rough when he has also delivered before? The run to the final for instance was inspired by Neymar, the performance vs Bayern in the QF was for the ages too and another level to Mbappe on the night.
Neymar is disliked by many because of his dives and hollywood acting that were a thing since he was at Barca, even here people make fun of his dives.

Also he is one of the players who has a lot of fun outside of the pitch, another reason for many boring journalists to dislike him.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Cause his sisters birthday. And holds the worlds record transfer fee.

mshnsh

Neymar is disliked by many because of his dives and hollywood acting that were a thing since he was at Barca, even here people make fun of his dives.

Also he is one of the players who has a lot of fun outside of the pitch, another reason for many journalists to dislike him.
You have your opinion. Mine is that Mbappe is immune to criticism because he is French and plays in Frenchleague⁰. If he had this sort of season at a big club anywhere else, he'd be analysed and criticised to the extent that he deserves. I feel like the French press/ pundits tend to deflect blame to protect him. Was similar with Rooney early in his career.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
You have your opinion. Mine is that Mbappe is immune to criticism because he is French and plays in Frenchleague⁰. If he had this sort of season at a big club anywhere else, he'd be analysed and criticised to the extent that he deserves. I feel like the French press/ pundits tend to deflect blame to protect him. Was similar with Rooney early in his career.
You are assuming the only people blaming Neymar or going hard on him after PSG eliminations are french press, which is wrong.
Neymar overall isn't even liked very much in his own home country, especially after he voted for Bolsonaro.

He was already heavily disliked by the press since his Barca days for his acting and dives, many dislike him in South America because of that, and prefer Messi over him as a person.

Mbappe might be protected in France, but french press isn't the only one going hard on Neymar.

jm99

Well it's definitely not true that they would have been out at the group stages without Messi, if that's what was said.
Yeah the other poster said after the last 16 elimination that they wouldn't have even come this far without Messi so obviously that isn't the case

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I don't want him to stay in PSG, sadly too many things and agendas are far from good there, yet I guess it's the easiest and maybe wealthier way to stay tune and fit in his last years in Europe.

Going to another big club now might be too expensive for anyone and not that feasible in terms of long term projects, thought would be cool, yet the other more probably outcome might be the USA.
I really don't dig that transfer at all but it's understandable in a long term bizzness and long term Image and relevance of it in the future, it would be clearly a Pele's COSMOS alike move but quite a lot more profitable and relevant due to the period we are living and how soccer has gain terrain in the USA.

In any case nobody knows what would happen, kind of a rollercoaster with him in these last years, but PSG has become quite a toxic team since some time now, his family seems settle and enjoying Paris, that will have quite a some weight in the decision too.

Last edited:

mshnsh

You are assuming the only people blaming Neymar or going hard on him after PSG eliminations are french press, which is wrong.
Neymar overall isn't even liked very much in his own home country, especially after he voted for Bolsonaro.

He was already heavily disliked by the press since his Barca days for his acting and dives, many dislike him in South America because of that, and prefer Messi over him as a person.

Mbappe might be protected in France, but french press isn't the only one going hard on Neymar.
He is totally protected.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Yes he had less to work with but he also had arguably the greatest player of all time, which none of the other guys had. That's the whole point.

Saying that Scaloni is a far better manager than the other guys is totally ridiculous, but then you know that.

Anyway, I don't want to distract from the general complaining about Southgate so I will leave you to your delusion bud.
Messi hasn't been playing like "the best player of all time" for quite a few years now.
His WC performance was excellen best player at the tournament in my opinion but was it anywhere near what he could produce in his prime? Definitely not. Yet it was this year that he won the WC and not in 2010 or 2014 .... I wonder why.
Oh right ! Because Scaloni is a better manager than the ones Messi used to work with ....

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Messi hasn't been playing like "the best player of all time" for quite a few years now.
His WC performance was excellen best player at the tournament in my opinion but was it anywhere near what he could produce in his prime? Definitely not. Yet it was this year that he won the WC and not in 2010 or 2014 .... I wonder why.
Oh right ! Because Scaloni is a better manager than the ones Messi used to work with ....
He's not, but you are clearly clueless so there's no point explaining. Pekerman and Sabella were two of Argentina's top coaches, Sampaoli won the Copa America with Chile, their first ever trophy. Only Maradona was demonstrably not a top quality coach.

Joel Miller

To be honest Benzema being allowed to commit a clear foul on Donnaruma was a massive factor in Real’s comeback too. Still think Madrid are the only side in Europe who’d have gotten away with that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG are a very bad team. They have a few individuals who can produce moments but that's it. There is no cohesion and no balance in the team. Reminds me of Real Madrid’s galacticos although the team outside the front three is actually inferior in ability.

The French press and PSG ultra don't like to blame one of their own so instead it is either Neymar or Messi who is the scapegoat. Mbappe had been terrible in most games for PSG since the World Cup as was the case in Munich but there is no mention of that anywhere.
The french press will blame anyone and does it all the time especially if you are french. PSG ultras tend to blame no one, they may do it occasionally but revert back to cheering everyone.

Pocho

He’s done. He was a beast and apparently he’s not anymore . He’s the Goat though. Should retire in Miami.

Gottabekiddingme

Said this will happen 2 months ago by the way....

His PSG career is heading towards a toxic exit. If their fans booed him (and Neymar) after last year exit vs Madrid, I can't imagine what'll happen if they go out again in the last 16 round vs Bayern.

They looked clueless yesterday in their cup exit vs Marseille. Can't see them doing better against Bayern

IFC 1905

Well he comes from a long travel and played 180 minutes of football, went to Paraguay in the middle for a ceremony.

I think he looked fatigued. Produced great moments though, Mbappe also missed the sitters as he always do, but will never get booed for being french.

Can't wait for Messi to leave PSG. Mbappe will leave aswell. That club will remain as small as it is.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
He seems done at top football, which is normal considering his age.

Anyways PSG as a team is very mediocre, the only reason they are winning Ligue 1 it's because there isn't a consistent team who can't win 4 games in a row... whenever a consistent team appeared they lost the league (Monaco and Lille).
I hope Marseille can catch up, only 6 points of difference.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well it’s the same thing that English press/pundits rarely critics players from England. It happens all the time.

redNATION

Won everything the game has to offer, can’t blame him for not getting up for random ligue 1 games after coming off the high of the World Cup, especially as the rest of the team don’t seem bothered.