Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
:rolleyes:

Highlight of your week, eh? You're such a fecking weirdo...
It's okay for you to post about it, but you have a problem with me posting about it? :wenger:

He's not the first player to have taken a dreadful penalty, I'll laugh at him as much as I like.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
The fact Xavi plays deep, yet still creates a ridiculous number of chances (35 or so direct assists in 08/09, never mind others like this), indicates he successfully plays that killer through-ball on a regular basis. It's one thing slipping the ball through past the last defender, another thing entirely piercing two lines of four.
Xavi does not play that deep

ever since Pep took over he has been utilised further forward than his previous seasons with Rijkaard with very little defensive responsibilities, zilch compared to him under Rijkaard

infact the 2008/09 season was further forward I've seen him

what you said about him producing that Messi type pass week in and week out is simply not true

You're not good very at this are you?
Decotron in contributing feck all shocker

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Xavi does not play that deep

ever since Pep took over he has been utilised further forward than his previous seasons with Rijkaard with very little defensive responsibilities, zilch compared to him under Rijkaard

infact the 2008/09 season was further forward I've seen him
Xavi didn't play deep under Rijkaard either. He played on level with and slightly to the right of Deco. And generally, Deco worked harder and better at tracking back than Xavi did as well.

Deco really is an oddball. He was imo the quientessential modern midfielder in his first two seasons for barca. Fabulous playmaker who really took the burden off Ronaldinho from having to do everything in attack and worked incessantly and aggressively to win the ball back as soon as they lost it. Busy little fecker really. Great combo of technical player who knew his defensive responsibilities and seemed to relish them.

Then at some point he and Ronaldinho made a mutual pact to not give a shit anymore, and he went to perfecting the archetype of lazy latin skilful player who can only be bothered to be great when he feels like it.

Boss

Read this and learn Frankly Vulgar. I'm no the only one disagreeing with your assement of Messi's pasing.
Xavi didn't play deep under Rijkaard either. He played on level with and slightly to the right of Deco. And generally, Deco worked harder and better at tracking back than Xavi did as well.

Deco really is an oddball. He was imo the quientessential modern midfielder in his first two seasons for barca. Fabulous playmaker who really took the burden off Ronaldinho from having to do everything in attack and worked incessantly and aggressively to win the ball back as soon as they lost it. Busy little fecker really. Great combo of technical player who knew his defensive responsibilities and seemed to relish them.

Then at some point he and Ronaldinho made a mutual pact to not give a shit anymore, and he went to perfecting the archetype of lazy latin skilful player who can only be bothered to be great when he feels like it.
Deco was sensational for 2 seasons, he outshone Xavi in my opinion, apart from his lack of goals he was fantastic in every department.

He was alright in his last season, atleast better than Ronaldinho but just wasnt good enough for Barca and couldn't adapt to the pace of the English league.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
:

Trust me, on here I challenge you when I'm certain you are wrong. In the same vein, I back you up vehemently if I'm certain you are right. In the same vein I also accept your opinion if it is viable, even if I don't ascribe to it. I never mince words nor pretend to know more than I don't know. If you find my style to hot for you. Sorry
Too hot? Mate you're a roundabout, most people gave up on you a long time ago based on your rediculous sense of self importance.

Thus says the chief....

FranklyVulgar

The fact Xavi plays deep, yet still creates a ridiculous number of chances (35 or so direct assists in 08/09, never mind others like this), indicates he successfully plays that killer through-ball on a regular basis. It's one thing slipping the ball through past the last defender, another thing entirely piercing two lines of four.
No doubt Xavi is a master of his craft, maybe it's just this season he hasn't quite been matching the standards he set for himself. Messi has taken his passing up a gear this year. The game against betis wasnt a showcase however. He miss placed a lot and didn't look himself.

Read this and learn Frankly Vulgar. I'm no the only one disagreeing with your assement of Messi's pasing.
I read it and i appreciated it, he used reasoning and evidence and it was his opinion. Gio talks sense, i appreciate his comments.

Did he disagree with my assesment? i never said Messi was the best, i said he was one of the best around and only getting better in this regard.

My point was the difference in their styles of passing, Xavi plays a more concervative passing game than Messi. Messi attempts the sublime very often, Xavi does so when it's more likely to be made.

If Messi gets to the stage of knowing that Xavi is at now he'll be the best because his imagination is out of this world.

There have been lots of outstanding passers of a ball in the last 10 or so years but already Messi is up there for me.

It could be a positional thing, Xavi plays deeper 85% of the time so if he does split a defense it'll generally be with a longer ball. Messi plays higher up (although has been dropping a lot deeper this season) which means his passes will generally be shorter.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Too hot? Mate you're a roundabout, most people gave up on you a long time ago based on your rediculous sense of self importance.
:lol: You truly have issues. I don't have any sense of ''self importance'' what so ever. Never have never will. The problem with you is you throw your toys out of the pram whenever someone challenges you on a point you think you are making and you try and play the victim as a result. It's getting old.

I read it and i appreciated it, he used reasoning and evidence and it was his opinion. Gio talks sense, i appreciate his comments.
Oh really? His said the very same thing I've been trying to get through to you. Almost verbatim.

Did he disagree with my assesment? i never said Messi was the best, i said he was one of the best around..........
You posted assist stats for this season of Messi and Xavi. If that was not an attempt to claim Messi is better than Xavi at passing then I don't know what else is.

True. Xavi truly came into his own when Deco and Ronadinho gave up on football.

FranklyVulgar

FranklyVulgar

Watching La Liga eh.

Run out of films to watch have we?
:lol: Correct. It was either this or "The Joy of Teen Sex" on C4 (which is considerably less sexy than it sounds)
Incorrect it was the Copa Del Ray ;)

On the penalty though he clearly slipped and if you're going to miss one it might as well be in a game you've got about a 4 goal lead in.

It was a shocker though :lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Should have shown a better video there Franky. 6:20 done and I can't watch more. A lot of crap stuff in between with nothing going on and awful music. Created two chances during that time, a narrow shot from Villa and a pass straight to the feet to Adriano who was at full speed. Can't really blame him for losing control of the ball there.

I'll just take your word for that he created more chances but I couldn't watch that video anymore and don't know what incident he's possibly being fined for.

FranklyVulgar

Should have shown a better video there Franky. 6:20 done and I can't watch more. A lot of crap stuff in between with nothing going on and awful music. Created two chances during that time, a narrow shot from Villa and a pass straight to the feet to Adriano who was at full speed. Can't really blame him for losing control of the ball there.

I'll just take your word for that he created more chances but I couldn't watch that video anymore and don't know what incident he's possibly being fined for.
only one i could find. He is fined for lifting his shirt and showing the message on it.

Translates to "happy birthday mum" :lol:

Snow

Jesus. Hate that rule. Can't put messages on your undershirt. Retarded. At least he wasn't carded right?

He's playing much more the 'all-over-the-place' role this season and perhaps the last and therefor is a more of creating focal point of the attack. Because of his quickness he's also very likely to be the first one to get the rebound after a team mate blows a chance he most likely created. Does that mean they're trying to get used to Xavi not passing all the good through balls? Or is that a crazy spontaneous sleepdeprived driven theory?

FranklyVulgar

I think it's just the freedom of Messi, it's came to the point where he doesnt actually have a position. SOmetimes he'll be as deep as busquets, somtimes wide left, wide right, in the hole or on the shoulder of the last man. Pretty much a case of Pep having 100% faith in his football brain to know what to do. Working alright so far to be fair.

Boss

Jesus. Hate that rule. Can't put messages on your undershirt. Retarded. At least he wasn't carded right?

He's playing much more the 'all-over-the-place' role this season and perhaps the last and therefor is a more of creating focal point of the attack.
Because of his quickness he's also very likely to be the first one to get the rebound after a team mate blows a chance he most likely created. Does that mean they're trying to get used to Xavi not passing all the good through balls? Or is that a crazy spontaneous sleepdeprived driven theory?
He's been like that pretty much ever since Pep came into town, once again in that game he showed more creativity and imagination in his passing but Xavi but say this and people would say 'bollocks, Xavi does it more week in and week out' once again, completely unfounded

Boss

What irony:lol:

Lies huh? So this below isn't your post?

In reply to this:
Messi produced some great throughballs from deep in the world cup, he played as more of a playmaker than Xavi did for Spain who focused on controlling the tempo.

Argentina aren't a possesion team like Spain, or atleast are not as good as keeping the ball, I don't see why Messi can't control the tempo in a team like Spain.

I remember last year in the first leg against Arsenal Messi spent the entire game passing the ball around, just like Xavi and got nothin but criticism for not doing something 'special'

Messi produced some great throughballs from deep in the world cup, he played as more of a playmaker than Xavi did for Spain who focused on controlling the tempo.
The fact is he created next to nothing. It's not like he was racking up assists, inspite of Argentina scoring goals

Argentina aren't a possession team like Spain, or atleast are not as good as keeping the ball, I don't see why Messi can't control the tempo in a team like Spain.
Are you kidding me? Argentina are the kings of the possession game. At the best they play it at a pace much faster than the Spaniards. Just remember that goal vs Serbia in 2006.

I remember last year in the first leg against Arsenal Messi spent the entire game passing the ball around, just like Xavi and got nothin but criticism for not doing something 'special'
I remember him being praised to the highest heavens for a performance of such intelligence. While Xavi got the biggest plaudits and rightly so. You must have watched the game with some awful pundits summarising. :D

Boss

I think the media has altered your perception of his world cup. He was creating I'm every single game and produced some great balls from deep.

Wasn't you yourself who said he had a good world cup soon after in light of all the criticism, what did you base that on then? His goals?

Boss

Watch this video if you have the time, chief,

Viddler.com - Lionel Messi World Cup 2010 - Uploaded by unloosener

it exploits a few myths about Messi's world cup and you can see the creativity never left, the main difference for me between him and Barca is that he was constantly picking up the ball in extremely deep positions while for Barca he's constantly allowed the freedom to be in the final third where he can hurt you the most

the brilliant passing is all in here, created next to nothing is a giant overstatement imo

Watch this video if you have the time, chief,

Viddler.com - Lionel Messi World Cup 2010 - Uploaded by unloosener

it exploits a few myths about Messi's world cup and you can see the creativity never left, the main difference for me between him and Barca is that he was constantly picking up the ball in extremely deep positions while for Barca he's constantly allowed the freedom to be in the final third where he can hurt you the most
It is being claimed that his passing is up there with Xavi. If it was it would have been reflected in the majority of goals Argentina scored. Yet it wasn't. Messi was good at the world cup. But never produced a display of exceptional playmaking in any shape or form. Which has been my point form the start. As a playmaker he is far from Xavi's league. You get in that league when you are experienced. Not at his current age when you are not a Maradona.

the brilliant passing is all in here, created next to nothing is a giant overstatement imo
It's not an over statement given who he is being compared to.

Boss

It is being claimed that his passing is up there with Xavi. If it was it would have been reflected in the majority of goals Argentina scored. Yet it wasn't. Messi was good at the world cup. But never produced a display of exceptional playmaking in any shape or form. Which has been my point form the start. As a playmaker he is far from Xavi's league. You get in that league when you are experienced. Not at his current age when you are not a Maradona.

It's not an over statement given who he is being compared to.
But Xavi was not at his creative best at the World Cup, he made the most passes but not the best decisive passes. How involved was he in the majority of goals Spain scored, I would say Iniesta was more influential here.

And watching those highlights Messi was involved the majority of the goals Argentina scored, he was their main man even when he's not scoring. As a playmaker Messi shows more imagination and creativity in his passing than Xavi. This side of his game is underrated because he scores so many goals and is the best dribbler around.

Cina

Iniesta more effective than Xavi? You must be having a laugh Boss.

But Xavi was not at his creative best at the World Cup, he made the most passes but not the best decisive passes. How involved was he in the majority of goals Spain scored, I would say Iniesta was more influential here.
Iniesta was only more influential in killer balls and killer interventions in games. But Xavi made the team tick. Which is a playmakers job. Messi one day will make his team tick like that the way he did for the Argies at junior evel. But he isn't there yet and he certainly didn't do so at the last world cup.

And watching those highlights Messi was involved the majority of the goals Argentina scored, he was their main man even when he's not scoring. As a playmaker Messi shows more imagination and creativity in his passing than Xavi. This side of his game is underrated because he scores so many goals and is the best dribbler around.
We''ll just have to agree to disagree then. Because I've seen Messi impersonate a Maradona type playmaker once. At under 20 level in international football. He literally run that team, the way Xavi runs Barca and Spain. He is not yet experienced enough however to do it at senior level. As the world cup proved.

Boss

Iniesta was only more influential in killer balls and killer interventions in games. But Xavi made the team tick. Which is a playmakers job. Messi one day will make his team tick like that the way he did for the Argies at junior evel. But he isn't there yet and he certainly didn't do so at the last world cup.

We''ll just have to agree to disagree then. Because I've seen Messi impersonate a Maradona type playmaker once. At under 20 level in international football. He literally run that team, the way Xavi runs Barca and Spain. He is not yet experienced enough however to do it at senior level. As the world cup proved.
I think our main problem is the actual definition of a playmaker, where unfortunately everybody seems to have their own opinion which hinders discussions.

I also agree with you about the Under 20 world cup, he also performed to a similar level at the Olympics in my opinion but hasn't since but as you say I believe it will come with more experience

Snow

Why are you people using the WC as argument? Spain weren't playing attacking football. They won most of their games 1-0. When 1-0 up they passed the ball around the middle and killed time. So Xavi pretty much did his job as well as possible.

It has to be disappointing for someone like Messi to not be able to score, let alone get himself some chances. In fact, he doesn't do that very much with Argentina at all. Being the creative spark in the team or not.

Boss

Why are you people using the WC as argument? Spain weren't playing attacking football. They won most of their games 1-0. When 1-0 up they passed the ball around the middle and killed time. So Xavi pretty much did his job as well as possible.

It has to be disappointing for someone like Messi to not be able to score, let alone get himself some chances. In fact, he doesn't do that very much with Argentina at all. Being the creative spark in the team or not.
Interesting, what sort of football did Spain play?

and is the lack of goals testimony to the fact Xavi was not at his creative best.

What's Xavi's job?

I think our main problem is the actual definition of a playmaker, where unfortunately everybody seems to have their own opinion which hinders discussions.

I also agree with you about the Under 20 world cup, he also performed to a similar level at the Olympics in my opinion but hasn't since but as you say I believe it will come with more experience
Indeed. One thing about the olympics though, I thought he and Aguero did a Xavi and Iniesta with that team.:drool:

I'm hoping for a repeat of that at the next world cup:D

Boss

Indeed. One thing about the olympics though, I thought he and Aguero did a Xavi and Iniesta with that team.:drool:

I'm hoping for a repeat of that at the next world cup:D
Aguero was stunning, the match against Brazil was the best of the tournament, he just needs to do it at a higher level but I believe if he's played in his right position he will. In my opinion Maradona played him too deep to be at his most effective, bringing Zanetti and Cambiasso along wouldn't have hurt either.

I'm sure this new coach will get it right because he's been great in the friendlys so far, where he was not at his best even in those under Maradona.

Status
Not open for further replies.