Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If it’s just a political game, it paints him in a poor light and is tiresome.

I would love to see him in another league, but if it’s just flirtation to get what he wants at Barca, it’s just irritating.

He is amazing, but he gets paid a fortune and has a contract like any other player.
Taking a page straight out of the CR7 playbook then.

Castia

Aguero was involved in one goal (16G+3A) every 77 mins this season and Messi is a superior player. Yeah, I'd expect him to do quite well for City.
Aguero’s got 10 years experience in the PL though.

I mean Messi is arguably the goat and has a good record against English teams he could very well rip the league apart bit theres definitely a risk of it all going wrong.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Aguero’s got 10 years experience in the PL though.

I mean Messi is arguably the goat and has a good record against English teams he could very well rip the league apart bit theres definitely a risk of it all going wrong.
He also hit the ground running

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Messi has more to lose by moving to PL than anything else. If he succeeds, he regarded as the GOAT by a slightly bigger margin (but majority of people regard him as the GOAT either ways). But if he does not hit the highs of his Barca days, which is quite likely, many people who are on the fence about him being the GOAT shift to the Ronaldo/Pele camp.

EDIT: Before anyone comments that it would be stupid to give up on trophies to maintain his legacy, trophies in PL aren't guaranteed. Barca may look light years away from winning the CL, but it's about a couple of signing here and there and getting the system right. Case in point: Bayern. If anything, one can argue that City has as many gaps in their side as Barca have,although City seem to have a better manager

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
After activating the release clause that Leo and his lawyers consider still in force, the captain believes that he no longer belongs to Barcelona.
That is why he considers that he should not submit to their discipline or participate in their activities (he will not go tomorrow for the PCR tests).
Barcelona will reply with another burofax telling him that he has a contract and must appear.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Civil war in full swing, no loyalty whatsoever from either side :lol:

This is going to get even uglier

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
After activating the release clause that Leo and his lawyers consider still in force, the captain believes that he no longer belongs to Barcelona.
That is why he considers that he should not submit to their discipline or participate in their activities (he will not go tomorrow for the PCR tests).
Barcelona will reply with another burofax telling him that he has a contract and must appear.
He has a very good case. It's done. Barcelona have nothing to go on if this actually goes to arbitration. The underlying principle in the contract was the 'end of the season', not the date. The date is subjective.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What a ridiculous way to destroy your legacy. Extremely ill-advised.
It does seem a massive risk at this stage.

Even just playing the 1 more year out - coming to the natural end properly out of contract, but then going back to Argentina as originally seemed the plan?
No-one would have thought bad of him for that.

But to go to another European cup, who they might face, or be competing for the Euro cup against, and by forcing his way out?
Not for me.

Cloud7

He does.

Don't know if she can play RW, though - but we should sign 'er up just in case.
We have a women's team don't we? Maybe this was what that poster meant long ago when he said we have to sign the next Messi; he meant sign his sister.

Rolaholic

What a ridiculous way to destroy your legacy. Extremely ill-advised.
What??

Messi's legacy at the club as unquestionably the greatest player in their history is more than sealed after 16 seasons.

He doesn't owe them a damn thing at this stage in his career, if he believes that he needs to leave to accomplish his aims then he should be granted that right without second question.

He's arguably earned it more than anyone who's ever played the game.

That's why Real Madrid for all their faults and toxic fanbase, will always be bigger than them. They've got a rich tradition but don't dwell on sentimentality and allow it to hold them back like so many other clubs. They're like Bayern in that regard, they'll adapt and adjust to the present realities in the game on the fly. It might be emotionless or cold at times but it's helped them become the most successful side ever in European competition.

Arguably their greatest player ever in Ronaldo, was allowed to leave without much fuss when he decided the time was right to move on. They didn't engage in any ugly PR war or threaten legal proceedings like Barca have.

The phrase 'no player is bigger than the club' is how they truly go about their business, Barca have decided to go the complete opposite direction in that regard and it's only going to end up harming them as a club in the long run as a result of that approach

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd love to see him in the PL even if it were to City for a couple of years

izec

He is finally moving to the PL and people say he destroys his legacy. Barca were never going to let him go, so yeah, it is ugly, but if he wins the CL with City and destroys the PL for a couple of years, he will be the GOAT. I am not a fan of this Messi, but People are just pissed off he goes to City.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
more good news, "the Argentine is not obliged to pay the clause in this last season.
It is specified that the clause should not be paid from 19/20 "

Cassidy

So Barcas own law firm believe he has a case....

Cassidy

more good news, "the 700 m euros clause doesn´t exist.
It is specified that the clause should not be paid from 19/20 "
Damn so City will get him for free. Yikes!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Makes sense that he would act in accordance with what he is trying to prove, rather than give merit to their argument. If this really goes to court and he's found to be in breach then it's a small fine, I'd assume. It's not like a transfer can be concluded before the matter is solved.

Best scenario for Barca is try to squeeze as much money out of City as they possibly can. Start with a clean slate, get rid of as many astronomical earners as possible and remodel their squad.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Makes sense that he would act in accordance with what he is trying to prove, rather than give merit to their argument. If this really goes to court and he's found to be in breach then it's a small fine, I'd assume. It's not like a transfer can be concluded before the matter is solved.

Best scenario for Barca is try to squeeze as much money out of City as they possibly can. Start with a clean slate, get rid of as many astronomical earners as possible and remodel their squad.
A good move by the lawyers. Although Messi is within his rights, it sounds a bit like a stab at the club, and very clumsy on the part of the club for not having read the contract well, or having allowed there to be no clause.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They won 3 out of 5 in Spain the last five years so yea unfortunately
But crucially they didn't last season, Messi isn't going to solve City's flaws in fact from a defensive aspect he's going to add to them

I mean we ain't winning the league so obviously if it's a pick between them and Liverpool we all prefer City but I just don't see it being a for gone conclusion

cyberman

But I read that the club has to be notified of the clause 10 days before the end of the season?
Lawyers do work they dont believe stands up all the time

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Just had a nosey on bittermoon Forum and seen someone say that Messi will only match KDB for wages and they will pay the rest of his wages in shares in the club to the tune of 180m over the length of his deal.
Sounds like BS to me but you wouldn't put it past them tbf and nothing truly shocks me in football these days.

However he's not going to take a wage cut of about 500k a week either is he? So either City are going to have to match his wages and risk upsetting their squad or they will need to get creative with how he's paid.

Rolaholic

But crucially they didn't last season, Messi isn't going to solve City's flaws in fact from a defensive aspect he's going to add to them

I mean we ain't winning the league so obviously if it's a pick between them and Liverpool we all prefer City but I just don't see it being a for gone conclusion
They were an absolute mess behind the scenes and plagued by injuries but were still in the title race until the last couple weeks of the season. Really can't put not winning down to the person that almost willed them through most games by individual brilliance.

City have their defensive frailties no doubt about it,they're also looking to be addressing them this window. Even if they don't by some chance, I still think they'd win the vast majority of their league games if they added Messi to that attack. No club in Europe would come close in the final third

Cassidy

But I read that the club has to be notified of the clause 10 days before the end of the season?
Lawyers do work they dont believe stands up all the time
When did the season end and when were they told. I mean technically the season ended after the UCL...

Fluctuation0161

He's going isn’t he? I just can't believe he'll choose them lot over us. We got history, we got tradition, we're the biggest team in England.
Choose life. Choose Pep. Choose wages paid through sell companies and other potential off the books benefits.

You're in dreamland if you think he would go anywhere but City and also because you think you're the biggest team in England. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.